CDC just lifted US cruise ban effective Nov 1 - Great news

DaveOKC

2 hours ago, Domer81mpc said:

Excellent new!  The CDC has made its recommendations and people are free to choose to accept them or not.  Choice is a good thing.

Don’t worry, even though your response was deleted by either you or the mods, I got it in a email.

Ignore button activated.

I have to wonder whether any of the cruise line lobbyists, the cruise line execs, or the politicians that who pushed for this will be cruising with their respective families now that the the ban has been lifted.  

I suspect those medical professionals in the CDC will be passing on this opportunity.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

The requirements also state that any confirmed case of COVID onboard will lead to the immediate quarantine of all other passengers and will also mean the ship must immediately return to the home port and end the cruise.

If they end up with even one more quarantined prison ship things will be set back again, for who knows how long.  The cruise lines know this, and they fear it more than the CDC or any of the many other obstacles to be overcome.

3 hours ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

"…the CDC will first want operators to conduct simulated (mock) voyages with volunteers playing the role of passengers to test the line's ability to mitigate COVID-19 risk."

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5687/

Where do I sign up???  😁

I read that these first passengers will most likely be cruise line employees and the employees' families.

Cruisemom and bouhunter - their resolution for a positive case being full quarantine for the ship and termination of the cruise is the ultimate deal breaker here, much more so than the other rules put together.

Until this gets changed, whether through mandatory vaccination to cruise or some other development, it just seems futile to even try to cruise. How can you enjoy your cruise with this hanging heavy in your head every minute onboard? And believe me, I am more than ready to go.

• Like 2

Also, .... all ships operating in Europe or Asia in Spring/Summer/Fall 2021 have to conform to the CDC order if the ships are to return to U.S. waters prior to Nov 1, 2021. So, ... Rotterdam VII must have a Conditional Sailing Certificate issued by CDC since she is due into Port Everglades on Oct 24, 2021. Since I am booked on that westbound T/A voyage, I have some questions for HAL as to how that will be accomplished.

2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

If they end up with even one more quarantined prison ship things will be set back again, for who knows how long.  The cruise lines know this, and they fear it more than the CDC or any of the many other obstacles to be overcome.

I dont think it was quarantine everyone if someone tests positive that was unclear.  I think they have to quarantine if several people test positive.

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I dont think it was quarantine everyone if someone tests positive that was unclear.  I think they have to quarantine if several people test positive.

The way I read it was the whole ship goes into quarantine if anyone test positive but that could be incorrect.

1 hour ago, NavArch64 said:

So, .... all materials necessary to apply for a COVID19 Conditional Sailing Certificate are to be submitted 60 days in advance of the planned initial sailing date for each ship in each brand's fleet.

I think some of the items needed before they can submit request certificate to sail are going to take time.  

I wonder who they will set up housing agreements with at port should there be a quarantine.  A hotel?  What hotel wants to sit with empty rooms in case a ship needs it to quarantine some crew and some passengers?

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The way I read it was the whole ship goes into quarantine if anyone test positive but that could be incorrect.

If I have to quarantine because 1 person tests positive that's a deal breaker for us.   If several people positive and we have to quarantine for 1 day to get back to port I guess we would be ok with that.  

4 hours ago, grsnovi said:

I can't think of any Canadian ports that I'd want too visit between now and February 😊

Ha!  True.  I saw that story in Cruise Critic news this morning, and the writer called it "another blow to the already devastated cruise industry."  I thought it was a bit of an exaggeration considering the Alaska cruise season doesn't even start until May.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In May I saw an interesting article in the Wall St Journal.    The basic thrust of the whole thing was that there was going to be NO  "Ah HA" moment with this pandemic.   Everything about it, every facet of what has changed was going to go back to "normal" one TINY step at a time over many MANY months (if not years).  

I really think the same goes for the cruise industry.  First we are seeing a few european sailings... Then a transatlantic or two.  Down the line there might be a couple cruises out of Florida, stopping nowhere but their private islands.  Then MAYBE a few out of the west coast with rules like "no excursions except ship excursions"........

Baby steps, with more than a few steps back when things go "south"...

The chances that we will have a 100% effective vaccine is slim...   And without it, what I list above IS going to be the near term future of what we all love.  (And in a broader sense, ALL travel. )

• Like 1

I am booked 3/28 on a fourteen day Caribbean cruise. It is actually two seven day cruises booked b2b. With the limitation on cruises being only 7 days I can see how we might sneak by on this. Will be anxious to hear from HAL if we are a go or a no go. 

7 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

Also, .... all ships operating in Europe or Asia in Spring/Summer/Fall 2021 have to conform to the CDC order if the ships are to return to U.S. waters prior to Nov 1, 2021. So, ... Rotterdam VII must have a Conditional Sailing Certificate issued by CDC since she is due into Port Everglades on Oct 24, 2021. Since I am booked on that westbound T/A voyage, I have some questions for HAL as to how that will be accomplished.

I believe from remembering how things worked with prior acceptance of Pinnacle class ships, inspection and certification was done during acceptance of the ship on the yard in Italy. People with more knowledge of these maritime and jurisdiction rules will be more capable of answering the question, but I do not think this will be an issue.

Edited by Alphen

Having read a precis of these new protocols -what these two paragraphs contain is the reason we'll not be cruising while they exist:-

• The CDC will reserve the right to determine passenger and crew capacity, itineraries, ports of call, onboard activities and just about everything else.

• Cruises from the U.S. can be no longer than seven days. The CDC reserves the right to shorten cruises.

1 hour ago, Oulton Jim said:

Having read a precis of these new protocols -what these two paragraphs contain is the reason we'll not be cruising while they exist:-

• The CDC will reserve the right to determine passenger and crew capacity, itineraries, ports of call, onboard activities and just about everything else.

• Cruises from the U.S. can be no longer than seven days. The CDC reserves the right to shorten cruises.

We agree, obviously at some point these will be eased but I believe that will be late 2021 or early 2022.

Read the actual CDC announcement (it's linked in another thread and it's easy enough to find via Google).  Yeah, it's long and dull and technical, but there's info in there that lays it all out. 

It's still going to be a while before we have any semblance of "normalcy" when it comes to cruising and that new normal isn't going to be like cruising was a year ago.

Just now, NCTribeFan said:

Read the actual CDC announcement (it's linked in another thread and it's easy enough to find via Google).  Yeah, it's long and dull and technical, but there's info in there that lays it all out. 

It's still going to be a while before we have any semblance of "normalcy" when it comes to cruising and that new normal isn't going to be like cruising was a year ago.

A point which many don’t seem to grasp yet.  I amazed some are willing to pay large sums of money to be treated like kindergartners.  Luckily there will be no hand holding on excursions.