The Daily for Wednesday Nov 4, 2020

richwmn

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

I got bogged down with arranging gutter cleaning, leaf removal, electrical repairs for our condo sale, setting up the grill and patio furniture (we'll get to use it for maybe a week and then put it back to bed), and furniture arranging yesterday. Before I knew it, it was too late to add to the Daily thread. 

Just reading your accomplishments exhausted me! Kudos!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We got the dreaded email yesterday that our Zaandam cruise next October has been cancelled.  Not the GA, thank goodness, but the East Coast B2B leg before that in the same cabin. Now we wait and see if we can rebook whatever the Zaandam is doing during that time. Otherwise, we have lots of FCC for something in 2022.

We got an email as well.   We were booked on a Boston'/Montreal/Boston from September 11-25.  They have reversed the itineraries and now the Zaandam docks in Montreal on the 25th.   It could be a repositioning cruise like the one on the Rotterdam that we got bumped off when they sold the ship.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

We got an email as well.   We were booked on a Boston'/Montreal/Boston from September 11-25.  They have reversed the itineraries and now the Zaandam docks in Montreal on the 25th.   It could be a repositioning cruise like the one on the Rotterdam that we got bumped off when they sold the ship.  

Oh of course! You were booked on that wonderful 15 day Rotterdam Montreal / Ft. Lauderdale that went all around Newfoundland, too! We both seem to be chasing the same thing. Whoever hears first when they release her new schedule should let the other know.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Oh of course! You were booked on that wonderful 15 day Rotterdam Montreal / Ft. Lauderdale that went all around Newfoundland, too! We both seem to be chasing the same thing. Whoever hears first when they release her new schedule should let the other know.

You bet.  I talked to my PCC yesterday and she said she should know by Friday.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Darn, I was hoping you’d bring Sea Salt caramel gelato!

I’ll bring that to our Thanksgiving potluck. 

Todays gelato is pumpkin. I had pumpkin purée left over from the Starbucks pumpkin muffins I made this morning. We’ll see how well it processes in a few hours. Wednesday has become my baking day. That way I have goodies to take when I visit Dad tomorrow, and some for the staff at his community’s Security kiosk.

EE5B3B81-A9CA-46C4-ABAF-1169E27587AD.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 12

13 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I’ll bring that to our Thanksgiving potluck. 

Todays gelato is pumpkin. I had pumpkin purée left over from the Starbucks pumpkin muffins I made this morning. We’ll see how well it processes in a few hours. Wednesday has become my baking day. That way I have goodies to take when I visit Dad tomorrow, and some for the staff at his community’s Security kiosk.

EE5B3B81-A9CA-46C4-ABAF-1169E27587AD.jpeg

Deal!

BTW, those muffins look delicious!

• Like 2

We were also lucky to see the King Tut exhibit in the museum in Cairo while on a cruise.  That mask is amazing.

I don't know how many times we've done something that the experts said was impossible.  DH software business was based on a program that no one could replicate since the "experts" said the software would not work the way he wrote it.  It worked for 32 years until he sold the company, and is still working worldwide.  So just go for it.  What do you have to lose?

I'll add the garlicy rice to tonight's lemon shrimp.

We are enjoying the hummingbirds that come to our four feeders.  These little birds are so territorial when it comes to the feeders.  I have spent hours watching them run others off of "their" feeder.

We also have some desert cottontails that visit our yard daily.  They look like regular cottontails, but with bigger ears.  We  have a roadrunner that is a regular, along with of covey of about 15 quails.   The roadrunner spent time looking at his reflection in the storm door.

Then there is our occasional night time visitor, a coyote, who likes to eat the mesquite beans.  Once I get the beans raked up, he should be finding another place to visit.  Everyone in the neighborhood keeps a close eye on their furry friends.

Lenda

• Like 6

Thank you Rich for the Daily! Always a bright spot of the day!

Thanks, Roy, for your lists of concerns of celebrations. I have a celebration to add, if I may. DH was discharged from the hospital today after a week. We're thrilled!

Edi

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Thanks, Roy, for your lists of concerns of celebrations. I have a celebration to add, if I may. DH was discharged from the hospital today after a week. We're thrilled!

Edi

How wonderful, Edi! A definite cause for celebrating!🍾🎉

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Edi

Wonderful!   

• Like 3

Up to now all my accommodations in Russia have been large hotels.  In Listvanka I was in an apartment.  The entry looked extremely primitive but it was actually quite nice inside, even though the phone was on the floor.

wrld2470.jpg.3a2c275b90d1f34f9ba0b29e87ead162.jpg

wrld2500.thumb.jpg.68a1a28650e2ece343d9c1c521b63bd7.jpg

There were a few nice churches in Listvanka.  

wrld2620.thumb.jpg.89df357c4f755ef1f1417af66a68902c.jpg

On Friday morning I was transferred back to Irkutsk where there was not a lot of interest and had one night there at a moderately sized hotel.  

wrld2650.thumb.jpg.c40c31494893369f45fd38e5af241f89.jpg
The primary benefit of being in Irkutsk was having internet access,

“Subject: The best laid plans....
Date: Friday, April 18, 2003 3:59 AM

Well, however well prepared you think you are, there are always things that can go wrong, particularly in today's world.  Just before leaving Moscow Sunday night, I found that my cruise from China to Vancouver had been cancelled due to SARS issues. (Details at www.crystalcurises.com.) My travel agent has been working on things while I've been out of contact for 5 days on the Trans Siberian train, but I currently have options but no firm plans for getting back to North America.  I do have a confirmed hotel in Beijing (Grand Hyatt) and expect to leave China April 27, preferably on a nonstop to Vancouver.    From there, my preference is to pick up my original plans almost a month early and  continue by train to Toronto, New York and home, probably about May 5.

I did not find much of interest in Moscow, except for the Kremlin.  My mental picture of it was very much associated with the Soviet era, but most of the buildings date back at least to the 19th century and it is really quite a beautiful complex, with about 5 Russian Orthodox churches (I eventually lost count) inside.  

The train to Siberia was long (4 nights and 3 days ) but I didn't find it boring.  "First class" on Russian trains is 2 people in a 6x6 foot compartment with 2 bench/bunks and about 2 feet of space between them.  I had three different roommates, none of whom spoke any English.  The area was pretty desolate, about 30% of it snow covered, and reminded me a lot of the North
American Arctic.  The first 2 days were flat. We crossed the Urals from Europe to Asia the night
between the second and 3rd days.  The last day was more rolling.  We arrived in Irkutsk early the 4th morning.

My trains to Ulan Ude and Mongolia are 2nd class (the same size compartment with 2 more people in upper  bunks) and I'm not looking forward to the downgrade.  This is a shorter ride though, Just 10 hours to Ulan Ude, and 24 hours to Mongolia.

Lake Baikal is quite impressive although it is frozen over now.  Those who know of my penchant for winter foolishness will be either relieved to know that I didn't go in for a swim. (I probably couldn't have, anyway.)  I did stick my hand in the lake, but when I went down this morning with my sandals to stick my foot in, the water spot was solidly frozen..

I'll be back when I have more information on my plans.”

My next rail segment (Irkutsk to Ulan Ude) was only 10 hours but it was the first of 2 in a second class compartment.  Fortunately, we never ended up using the upper bunks with more than 2 people in the cabin.  This segment left Irkutsk at 8:30 PM Saturday and arrived in Ulan Ude at 6AM Sunday.

wrld2710.thumb.jpg.55fcf6f0e73ff844dcec6009253d2a62.jpg

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich. I like the days. I'm looking at a gold King Tut plate that DD gave me years ago. She lives in Cairo, and I've been to the museum to see the exhibits twice. I try hard to use my common sense, but sometimes, people think that I've lost it. Love the quote!

Oh, how I wish that someone would make me some lemon shrimp and garlicky rice. Yummm. And, yes, I'd love to have a Bellini served, too.

Thanks for the Prayers and Cares list, Roy.

7 hours ago, gigianne said:

Good morning all.  Two of the days are spot on - and throw back a couple of bellinis (especially if they are peach).  Love the quote!  We are have an outing this morning - to Niagara Falls to see a poppy display.  Crocheted poppies from all over the world were sent to the museum in NF.  The ladies group sewed them on netting and with the help of the firefighters and their truck ladders hung them on the building.  I will share pictures later.  We are having a heat spell for the next week - around 65 F, but we will take it and soak up some of the rays.  My best to all.

I saw pictures of that on the local news FB site. Very cool!

55 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Edi

Oh, I'm betting you are celebrating his return, Edi. Give him our best.

I've been busy trying to arrange some online/virtual fundraisers for the Church. Then, explaining to those not on Facebook/computer why they have to be done that way. And then I got an email for another one today. Exhaustion is kicking in all 'round.

We did the first of the leaf raking today. I think we filled 4 bags so far in the back where about half the leaves have fallen. We haven't touched the front yard.

Blessings to all-prayers for those who need them, and celebrations for those on that list.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Up to now all my accommodations in Russia have been large hotels.  In Listvanka I was in an apartment.  The entry looked extremely primitive but it was actually quite nice inside, even though the phone was on the floor.

wrld2470.jpg.3a2c275b90d1f34f9ba0b29e87ead162.jpg

wrld2500.thumb.jpg.68a1a28650e2ece343d9c1c521b63bd7.jpg

There were a few nice churches in Listvanka.  

wrld2620.thumb.jpg.89df357c4f755ef1f1417af66a68902c.jpg

On Friday morning I was transferred back to Irkutsk where there was not a lot of interest and had one night there at a moderately sized hotel.  

wrld2650.thumb.jpg.c40c31494893369f45fd38e5af241f89.jpg
The primary benefit of being in Irkutsk was having internet access,

“Subject: The best laid plans....
Date: Friday, April 18, 2003 3:59 AM

Well, however well prepared you think you are, there are always things that can go wrong, particularly in today's world.  Just before leaving Moscow Sunday night, I found that my cruise from China to Vancouver had been cancelled due to SARS issues. (Details at www.crystalcurises.com.) My travel agent has been working on things while I've been out of contact for 5 days on the Trans Siberian train, but I currently have options but no firm plans for getting back to North America.  I do have a confirmed hotel in Beijing (Grand Hyatt) and expect to leave China April 27, preferably on a nonstop to Vancouver.    From there, my preference is to pick up my original plans almost a month early and  continue by train to Toronto, New York and home, probably about May 5.

I did not find much of interest in Moscow, except for the Kremlin.  My mental picture of it was very much associated with the Soviet era, but most of the buildings date back at least to the 19th century and it is really quite a beautiful complex, with about 5 Russian Orthodox churches (I eventually lost count) inside.  

The train to Siberia was long (4 nights and 3 days ) but I didn't find it boring.  "First class" on Russian trains is 2 people in a 6x6 foot compartment with 2 bench/bunks and about 2 feet of space between them.  I had three different roommates, none of whom spoke any English.  The area was pretty desolate, about 30% of it snow covered, and reminded me a lot of the North
American Arctic.  The first 2 days were flat. We crossed the Urals from Europe to Asia the night
between the second and 3rd days.  The last day was more rolling.  We arrived in Irkutsk early the 4th morning.

My trains to Ulan Ude and Mongolia are 2nd class (the same size compartment with 2 more people in upper  bunks) and I'm not looking forward to the downgrade.  This is a shorter ride though, Just 10 hours to Ulan Ude, and 24 hours to Mongolia.

Lake Baikal is quite impressive although it is frozen over now.  Those who know of my penchant for winter foolishness will be either relieved to know that I didn't go in for a swim. (I probably couldn't have, anyway.)  I did stick my hand in the lake, but when I went down this morning with my sandals to stick my foot in, the water spot was solidly frozen..

I'll be back when I have more information on my plans.”

My next rail segment (Irkutsk to Ulan Ude) was only 10 hours but it was the first of 2 in a second class compartment.  Fortunately, we never ended up using the upper bunks with more than 2 people in the cabin.  This segment left Irkutsk at 8:30 PM Saturday and arrived in Ulan Ude at 6AM Sunday.

wrld2710.thumb.jpg.55fcf6f0e73ff844dcec6009253d2a62.jpg

Roy

🌺Good afternoon Roy!!

Sorry just way to busy today with a lot going on and was able to sit and enjoy all of everyone’s writings! Thank you for your continuations of your trip!! I really could not do this type of trip all on my own and commend you for being able to do so! I agree 2nd class berths not my cup of tea.

Thanks again

Denise😊

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

We did the first of the leaf raking today. I think we filled 4 bags so far in the back where about half the leaves have fallen.

Oh, I envy you.  We have already done at least 60 bags.  We normally have 90+ even with our mulching some of them.  

Our trees tend to drop slowly so we are always cleaning up.  At least the one in the garden is done and two of the maples on the side.  The linden, red maple and other tree are still fighting to keep their leave and dropping slowly <sigh>

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NextOne said:

Edi

Oh, I am so very happy to hear this ❤️ 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh, I envy you.  We have already done at least 60 bags.  We normally have 90+ even with our mulching some of them.  

Our trees tend to drop slowly so we are always cleaning up.  At least the one in the garden is done and two of the maples on the side.  The linden, red maple and other tree are still fighting to keep their leave and dropping slowly <sigh>

😱

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺Good afternoon Roy!!

Sorry just way to busy today with a lot going on and was able to sit and enjoy all of everyone’s writings! Thank you for your continuations of your trip!! I really could not do this type of trip all on my own and commend you for being able to do so! I agree 2nd class berths not my cup of tea.

Thanks again

Denise😊

When I did the Hong Kong to London which covered much of this same trip as you describe, we were 4 "cabin".... that was 1 st class in those days. I had the upper bunk (sure could not do it now). I was actually quite comfortable and I slept well.

Susan

• Like 1