Who has registered for 2022

lindylooellalouise

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume that P&O/Carnival have looked at the likely demand for round Britain cruises, and if they thought there was an untapped demand, you can be assured they would be on their schedules.

Cunard and Princess both offer round-Britain cruises, so Carnival probably dissuade P&O from doing it...

8 minutes ago, pete14 said:

The summer 2022 mini brochure which arrived a couple of days ago makes it clear that they are offering up to 10% guest saving with the explanation that it is 5% for new guests and 10% for past guests in the footnote.
They have obviously learnt from last year because surely nobody could misunderstand that. Existing guests will (and do) receive a 10% discount off the published prices. The fact that new cruisers also get 5% discount does not affect the 10% discount promised and given to past guests - nowhere do they say past guests get a 10% discount off the discounted price given to new guests. 

I agree.I think the extra OBC   Jean and others (including me)received   previously was because the wording led one to believe that regular customers would receive 10% off the advertised price when infact 5% had already been deducted.I think P and O have got the wording right this year 🙂 

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, I don't understand your answer. You want to go to Alaska,  but because P&O don't go there, you cannot go. 

I don't understand your rationale.  

I didn't say that. I just said I wished P&O did an Alaska/Yokohama season. I didn't say that P&O not doing one would stop me, it's just I wish they did as they are my preferred cruise line.  And as P&O aren't going there we will book with another line instead, which means we won't be sailing with them in 2022. I hope that makes it clearer.

12 hours ago, ann141 said:

I agree.I think the extra OBC   Jean and others (including me)received   previously was because the wording led one to believe that regular customers would receive 10% off the advertised price when infact 5% had already been deducted.I think P and O have got the wording right this year 🙂 

In fact it is just the same as before.  The price when you click on it already includes 5% new customer discount and then another 5% if you are a past customer.  Why on earth they don't put the full price on and then if you are new, you get 5% and past you get 10%, but no, they automatically take off the first 5% and then when you log in, you get the next 5%.  It's rubbish and exactly what they did before.

45 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I didn't say that. I just said I wished P&O did an Alaska/Yokohama season. I didn't say that P&O not doing one would stop me, it's just I wish they did as they are my preferred cruise line.  And as P&O aren't going there we will book with another line instead, which means we won't be sailing with them in 2022. I hope that makes it clearer.

OK - sorry, I misconstrued your original reply.

52 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

In fact it is just the same as before.  The price when you click on it already includes 5% new customer discount and then another 5% if you are a past customer.  Why on earth they don't put the full price on and then if you are new, you get 5% and past you get 10%, but no, they automatically take off the first 5% and then when you log in, you get the next 5%.  It's rubbish and exactly what they did before.

Sorry if I am mistaken.I haven't made a booking so can't check but assumed from the wording(and from what Pete says) that P and O take 10% off the advertised price for certain customers for certain cruises. 

OK, if you go to the P&O site, find any cruise and click on book.  You will see a notice beneath that says 5% discount has been applied if you are new customer.  If you then log in to the site, and press book, another 5% comes off.  So that is hardly 10% for past customers.

One thing that is good, I clicked on "Hello Jean" once logged in and both my future cruises are now there.  I had one in april 2021 which has now disappeared and I now have one in October 2021 and one in October 2022.  A vast improvement to their old website.

Jean I agree with you 100%. I had a moan about this last year on a phone call to P&O and they agreed then that it was misleading, can’t find email from them, they agreed the PRINTED price had 5% taken off( what was the standard price I asked) they would not comment. As  a past guest you only get 5% off the published price.

They seem to have repeated this again even though most of the cruises have not gone up too much.

• Like 1

Yes it's called confusion marketing!  I can't be bothered with it any more.  My TA worked out prices for me and he made the same mistake.  He took the advertised figure and took off 10% then realized the same thing.

Edited by jeanlyon

44 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

They should put the full price, then when you click to book, it shows you new customer discount of 5%, and then when you log in, it shows 10% off.  

But why do you need the extra step Jean when the price paid by all new customers is the highest there will be?

• Like 1

John if the first price you see is £1000, then 10% off that is £100, making 900.  However, the first price you see is £950 (as 5% has already been taken off), so you then get another 5% off as a past customer.  The headline price should be £1000.

This is exactly what they did before and loads of us got extra OBC for pointing it out.

Edited by jeanlyon

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

John if the first price you see is £1000, then 10% off that is £100, making 900.  However, the first price you see is £950 (as 5% has already been taken off), so you then get another 5% off as a past customer.  The headline price should be £1000.

This is exactly what they did before and loads of us got extra OBC for pointing it out.

I for one am grateful to receive 10% discount no matter how it is displayed or given. However they choose to present the pricing structure some will say it is misleading. Once the introductory limited time offer is removed, prices will be subject to fluid pricing anyway and many popular cruises will cost more. I hope that nobody gets extra OBC this year for moaning about this because I don’t think it will be justified.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

To be pedantic, by calculating as 2 5%s you don't actually get 10% off you get 9.75% :

1000 - 10% = 900

1000 - 5% = 950

950 - 5% = 902.5

So by doing it this way P&O save £2.50 for every £1000 of the brochure price. OK not a lot of money but when you extrapolate that over all of the cruises that will get booked over the period that the promotion runs it can mount up to a serious saving for P&O and in my opinion it could be construed as false advertising.

I haven't booked yet because I can't make up my mind whether or not I want to book anything but if I do decide to book I think I will point this out to them and see what they say 😁😁

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

It is bit like 6 or 2 threes  Jean, and the fewer calculations that P&Os IT system has to undertake, the more likely it is to come up with the right answer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

That's another way of looking at it Josy! LOL 

I am a very sad person, I love numbers.  The amount involved at an individual level is negligible so won't put any sensible person off booking  it is just a bit of fun. 😂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

To be pedantic, by calculating as 2 5%s you don't actually get 10% off you get 9.75% :

1000 - 10% = 900

1000 - 5% = 950

950 - 5% = 902.5

So by doing it this way P&O save £2.50 for every £1000 of the brochure price. OK not a lot of money but when you extrapolate that over all of the cruises that will get booked over the period that the promotion runs it can mount up to a serious saving for P&O and in my opinion it could be construed as false advertising.

I haven't booked yet because I can't make up my mind whether or not I want to book anything but if I do decide to book I think I will point this out to them and see what they say 😁😁

Ah good, another numbers Geek... 😊

That's why the big furniture and carpet retailers will advertise 50% off, then an extra 20, then 10.

Most customers think the are getting 80% off... In reality, they are paying for 14% more. 

Andy 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ah good, another numbers Geek... 😊

That's why the big furniture and carpet retailers will advertise 50% off, then an extra 20, then 10.

Most customers think the are getting 80% off... In reality, they are paying for 14% more. 

Andy 

But actually P&O does not say that, it says new cruisers get 5%, and past cruisers get 10%, off what I really have no idea.

TBH I have never done the calculation to see just what I am getting. When you factor in the higher prices for each cabin grade, and then any discount you get from either P&O or your TA, I just assume that the price includes all the necessary discounts.

But since I seem to remember that the discounts are taken off individually when you have the extra Peninsular discount, then I imagine that Josy's calculation is correct. But as long as they apply it the same way for everyone, then I am happy to accept it whichever way its applied.

• Like 1

Many years ago they used to produce a brochure where they gave a price for every cabin grade and a blanket 20% off all prices but nobody ever paid the full price that was advertised in the brochure. All companies are very clever with discounts and to confuse customers into thinking they perhaps are getting a better discount than they do or if the product is really discounted at all. We all see adverts on TV for DFS and SCS and does anyone really believe the discounts or that at the end of the sale 😄 that prices increase to after discount price.

47 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But actually P&O does not say that, it says new cruisers get 5%, and past cruisers get 10%, off what I really have no idea.

TBH I have never done the calculation to see just what I am getting. When you factor in the higher prices for each cabin grade, and then any discount you get from either P&O or your TA, I just assume that the price includes all the necessary discounts.

But since I seem to remember that the discounts are taken off individually when you have the extra Peninsular discount, then I imagine that Josy's calculation is correct. But as long as they apply it the same way for everyone, then I am happy to accept it whichever way its applied.

I was only pointing out a common misconception John, not particularly about P&O. 

We know from experience that P&O often mislead. 

Andy 

49 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Many years ago they used to produce a brochure where they gave a price for every cabin grade and a blanket 20% off all prices but nobody ever paid the full price that was advertised in the brochure. All companies are very clever with discounts and to confuse customers into thinking they perhaps are getting a better discount than they do or if the product is really discounted at all. We all see adverts on TV for DFS and SCS and does anyone really believe the discounts or that at the end of the sale 😄 that prices increase to after discount price.

If that type of advertising didn't work, they would not invest so much in doing it. 

I always feel there are 2 types of customer, those that only look at the bottom line and buy if it suits them and those that genuinely believe the hype. 

We all want to feel like we are getting the best price possible, whichever method we believe. 

Andy 

We've just booked Iona May 2022 to the Fjords on the itinerary you all thought was fab. It seems a long time since we've felt this excited --- we've booked another cruise and whatever we make of the ship we'll make sure (God willing) that we have the best time ever !!!!!!!

• Like 3

On 11/12/2020 at 8:37 AM, Ardennais said:

Not a new port of course, but I wish P&O would use Naples more often.

My September 2021 cruise is going to Naples along with two full days in Barcelona. It’s why I’m not moving it as the 2022 ones seem to be mostly Spain with no overnight calls.