All Carnival Cruises Canceled through 1/31/2020

Amtrack Springfield

There's more in their release:

Additionally, Baltimore, Charleston, Jacksonville, Long Beach, Mobile, New Orleans and San Diego embarkations through Feb. 28.

Embarkations on Carnival Legend out of Tampa through March 26.

• Like 1

I would expect a slow phased in approach from cruise lines.  It's probably pretty costly to meet the current requirements for every ship in the fleet.  It'd be a waste of a lot of money if the vaccines and other factors make the CDC drop a number of costly requirements for return to sailing as it stands now.  Also a slow startup will help somewhat with revenue flow to get the rest of the fleet back up and running.  it also helps to see how much of the public is willing to get back onboard a cruise ship.  It also helps them determine if what they do will satisfy CDC and they actually get a certificate to sail in the first place.

One of my concerns is that new 'temporary' regulations have a habit of not going away even after the need for them no longer exists.  Now that CDC has their grubby fingers in the cruise industry pie will they return to the previous status quo after Covid-19 is controlled or eliminated?

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I would expect a slow phased in approach from cruise lines.  It's probably pretty costly to meet the current requirements for every ship in the fleet.  It'd be a waste of a lot of money if the vaccines and other factors make the CDC drop a number of costly requirements for return to sailing as it stands now.  Also a slow startup will help somewhat with revenue flow to get the rest of the fleet back up and running.  it also helps to see how much of the public is willing to get back onboard a cruise ship.  It also helps them determine if what they do will satisfy CDC and they actually get a certificate to sail in the first place.

One of my concerns is that new 'temporary' regulations have a habit of not going away even after the need for them no longer exists.  Now that CDC has their grubby fingers in the cruise industry pie will they return to the previous status quo after Covid-19 is controlled or eliminated?

Imo ,The only way this is going away is with successful  vaccinations of at least 70% of the US population . Thus ,go figure the time line from there &  most likely that will be the time cruises can resume out of USA ports

17 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Imo ,The only way this is going away is with successful  vaccinations of at least 70% of the US population . Thus ,go figure the time line from there &  most likely that will be the time cruises can resume out of USA ports

Why would cruising need to have 70% of the population vaccinated in order to start back up?  If you're meaning is Covid-19 going away, you may be right there.  If you're meaning CDC banning cruising, until 70% of the population is vaccinated, I would point you to other non-essential activities that were permitted to reopen even before we got the first efficacy news from Pfizer earlier this month.  I don't think we need 70% coverage of the entire population to start cruising again, we just need policies and procedures designed to make the cruising population safe.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Why would cruising need to have 70% of the population vaccinated in order to start back up?  If you're meaning is Covid-19 going away, you may be right there.  If you're meaning CDC banning cruising, until 70% of the population is vaccinated, I would point you to other non-essential activities that were permitted to reopen even before we got the first efficacy news from Pfizer earlier this month.  I don't think we need 70% coverage of the entire population to start cruising again, we just need policies and procedures designed to make the cruising population safe.

The main problem with cruise ships is that they are  enclosed with heavy pax loads . Cruise ships are the only types of recreational vehicles (not hotels , resorts ie ) that must report Nuro virus if  just 2.5% of total population of a ship comes down with that virus & then extensive use of watered down bleach is applied all over the ships interiors .Thus ,look at it from the CDC s point of view .   to get to herd immunity the level is 70%  vaccinated & that is only  so far here in the USA ,now if you add people fprm Canada ,Europe ,Australia   ie to the mix the numbers are staggering  .

If you & others are ok with wearing masks on the ship & mandatory social distancing then cruising is all right ;but ,the more times a ship gets covid 19  pax ill like the small Sea Dream Yacht with just 56 pax & 7 of them sick ,then  think again the reaction of both congress & the CDC about cruise ships

Neither you nor I have the last say in this matter ;however ,I can tell you iit is highly unlikely that  pax over 65 will be sailing any time soon . As we afe we are more apt to have underlying medical conditions .Taking all this into consideration  ,more than 50% on average are people over 65 that cruise   on longer cruises & less on the shorter cruises.Thus ,how do the cruise lines survive financially if they can only do short cruises with larger & larger ships for economy  & profits ?  

Already between Carnival ,Royal Caribbean & Norwegian they are burning one billion dollars every month .Carnival has already issued new shares diluting their share holders value plus added another level of debt & now the lates from investor relations of CCK : no sailings from some port in the USa until Jan 31 ,2021 ,some ports not until Feb 28th & From Tampa not until the end of March   .This advisory came oit nov 18th today 

you can add to all the above that new &v fast infectious strains have been  observed in Australia :

https://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/11/18/20/south-australia-announces-6-day-lockdown-to-stifle-fresh-virus-outbreak

Just now, mcrcruiser said:

the small Sea Dream Yacht with just 56 pax & 7 of them sick

Remember, 6 of them were a group traveling together, and the 7th, was someone who served them.

The group of 6 obviously spent a lot of time with each other, increasing the risk of infection.

• Like 1

We hope that people  do not expect miracles from the vaccines to come ;as there is still many unanswered questions about the real life effectiveness & longevity for protection in different age groups 

Edited by mcrcruiser

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Remember, 6 of them were a group traveling together, and the 7th, was someone who served them.

The group of 6 obviously spent a lot of time with each other, increasing the risk of infection.

Regardless ,what is shows is that  this virus  spreads rapidly even  with only 56 pax   on board  & only for a 7 day cruise . Additionally ,they all had 2 vcovid 19 tests before boarding . There is no sure thing with this virus

Now expand this to a ship carrying 2000 + pax  & more because of the new larger sized vessels  & there is a disaster waiting  to happen    Being kept in a cabin & food delivered to my state room is not my idea of a fun time or vacation     

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Believe the 70% number is related to curbing virus spread and keeping it to a minimum. Probably will be some voyages before that goal is reached. It's likely to take at least until the summer or fall to reach that percentage in the North America, and far longer when we look at the world as a single population. There most likely will be protocols established for boarding, ports of call as well as on board. One of these protocols could be proof of vaccination.

24 minutes ago, skynight said:

Believe the 70% number is related to curbing virus spread and keeping it to a minimum. Probably will be some voyages before that goal is reached. It's likely to take at least until the summer or fall to reach that percentage in the North America, and far longer when we look at the world as a single population. There most likely will be protocols established for boarding, ports of call as well as on board. One of these protocols could be proof of vaccination.

I hope so.

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Regardless ,what is shows is that  this virus  spreads rapidly even  with only 56 pax   on board  & only for a 7 day cruise . Additionally ,they all had 2 vcovid 19 tests before boarding . There is no sure thing with this virus

Now expand this to a ship carrying 2000 + pax  & more because of the new larger sized vessels  & there is a disaster waiting  to happen    Being kept in a cabin & food delivered to my state room is not my idea of a fun time or vacation     

What people are failing to mention is that Sea Dream did not require masks, and nearly all passengers chose not to wear them. 

3 hours ago, Dunk said:

What people are failing to mention is that Sea Dream did not require masks, and nearly all passengers chose not to wear them. 

imo  wearing masks on a cruise ship  will inhibit a person from feeling free to go any where & do any thing  on the ship  For us wearing masks & or shields will be out of the question to spend money for cruising 

Candidly , we  see from the news releases that real cruising as we once  knew iti s far off . We are even not sure that our bookings for Feb 26 ,2022 & even Oct 15 ,2022 will go as specified   The reason we look at it this way are one the financial health of the cruise lines going forward , the logistic nightmare it will be to get  trained  crew from all the time off  & finance the food & beverage stores aboard ships & the  thought of having to wear protective gear on any cruise ship 

We all can pray & then hope for the best to come 

12 hours ago, skynight said:

I don't think it matters what the rate of vaccination in the general population is. I would have thought that 100% of cruise passengers and staff have to prove they have had the vaccination to travel. 

That should make the cruise ship as safe as it can possibly be. As long as I have had the vaccination and my fellow cruise passengers have as well, I don't really care what's happening on dry land.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

I don't think it matters what the rate of vaccination in the general population is. I would have thought that 100% of cruise passengers and staff have to prove they have had the vaccination to travel. 

That should make the cruise ship as safe as it can possibly be. As long as I have had the vaccination and my fellow cruise passengers have as well, I don't really care what's happening on dry land.

As I understand. Vaccinate around 70% of the population and you reach heard immunity levels. These levels should allow cruise vacations to return to a more traditional experience on board and at ports of call. 

3 hours ago, skynight said:

As I understand. Vaccinate around 70% of the population and you reach heard immunity levels. These levels should allow cruise vacations to return to a more traditional experience on board and at ports of call. 

Is that how it works? Magically disappears!

Consider this. The 30% un-vaccinated will harbour a reservoir of the disease. Particularly if the disease is raging right now and they're not taking precautions.

The un-vacinnated can infect you if you're one of the 10% vaccinated who remain unprotected. Those are better odds than winning at bingo!

Under these circumstances, the vaccine will only blunt the pandemic. Florida currently has @7k confirmed infections/day. So, FL could continue to have 2k cases a day till the un-vacinated achieve natural herd immunity.

Could be a long time if it dribbles on. Will you continue to distance/mask?

Edited by HappyInVan

On 11/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, Daniel A said:

The CDC has had "their grubby fingers in the cruise industry pie" forever - they are the ones doing ship inspections (the Vessel Sanitation Program) and issuing sanctions for violations.

• Like 2