New vaccine

hollyjess

6 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Hi .The news about the vaccine approval is fantastic. Will this make any difference to your 2021 cruise plans?

Hopefully it will make a difference. We will wait until things have settled down until we book anything else, albeit we have a river cruise in June, it gives more confidence that it will happen. 

51 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Typical this news comes out the day after I’ve cancelled my 2021 cruise! It’s really weird not having any idea what I’m doing holiday wise next year!

Also the day after Boris suffered a humiliating revolt by his backbenchers! 

Useful timing for him!

19 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Hi .The news about the vaccine approval is fantastic. Will this make any difference to your 2021 cruise plans?

We hope it means that it will make no difference to our plans , but will enable us to go ahead will our plans. Alaska in June and Iona in August. All booked about 4 months ago. Glad the press conference was clever sounding scientific people. Fantastic news.

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Also the day after Boris suffered a humiliating revolt by his backbenchers! 

Useful timing for him!

Revolting backbenchers on both sides and some independents. I was on a committee that had a revolving chairman. The peasants are revolting.🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Revolting backbenchers on both sides and some independents. I was on a committee that had a revolving chairman. The peasants are revolting.🤣

That's the problem with the chairman, putting his spin on things :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

That's the problem with the chairman, putting his spin on things :classic_unsure:

Many years ago I was at the swimming pool with my diving club. In came jobsworth. Is anybody in authority here?. I'm the chairman, will I do ?.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Typical this news comes out the day after I’ve cancelled my 2021 cruise! It’s really weird not having any idea what I’m doing holiday wise next year!

I wouldn’t worry Sue. I think you made a wise decision. There’s a danger of getting carried away with enthusiasm when the vaccinations haven’t even started yet. The number of doses we have secured so far of the only approved vaccine so far wont even cover all the over 80’s, NHS workers and care home staff and residents. None of us know for certain how quickly we will get vaccinated, how quickly the other vaccines will be approved, nor how many nutters will refuse vaccination and what impact that will have. There is most definitely light at the end of the tunnel, but if I’d had a 2021 cruise booked I would have done the same as you. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I wouldn’t worry Sue. I think you made a wise decision. There’s a danger of getting carried away with enthusiasm when the vaccinations haven’t even started yet. The number of doses we have secured so far of the only approved vaccine so far wont even cover all the over 80’s, NHS workers and care home staff and residents. None of us know for certain how quickly we will get vaccinated, how quickly the other vaccines will be approved, nor how many nutters will refuse vaccination and what impact that will have. There is most definitely light at the end of the tunnel, but if I’d had a 2021 cruise booked I would have done the same as you. 

The more nutters the better, bumps us sane folk up the list.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

The more nutters the better, bumps us sane folk up the list.

I’m with you on that Zap, but my concern is that there seems to be quite a lot of them! I caught a bit of the Jeremy Vine show whilst in the car yesterday and could not believe the countless ludicrous theories being put out there for gullible folk to absorb. It also didn’t help in the medical press conference within the last hour that most journalists asked questions like ‘is it safe’ and ‘has it been rushed’ which adds yet further doubt in people’s minds! I still fear that cruising will be one of the last things to return to ‘normal’ and some people might be getting a little bit ahead of themselves in thinking that day might now be within a few months. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m with you on that Zap, but my concern is that there seems to be quite a lot of them! I caught a bit of the Jeremy Vine show whilst in the car yesterday and could not believe the countless ludicrous theories being put out there for gullible folk to absorb. It also didn’t help in the medical press conference within the last hour that most journalists asked questions like ‘is it safe’ and ‘has it been rushed’ which adds yet further doubt in people’s minds! I still fear that cruising will be one of the last things to return to ‘normal’ and some people might be getting a little bit ahead of themselves in thinking that day might now be within a few months. 

I think it was the Telegraph man. Who will be the first to get it, will it be by age, will it be by Tier?  . My first thought was. Read your own paper.

I'm glad that you all have something to look forward to vaccine wise.

I think it will take time but will get cruising underway again .

Some of us will be in for the long haul with the vaccine and what I 

mean by that is ,I as well as many others need the hospitals cleared 

of covid patients, making them a little more safer places to use for us.

Then and only then will I dare to wish for a cruise to come my way again .

Lots of hopes and wishes are hanging on these vaccines and I truly hope 

they come true for us all .

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Thank you Selbourne, I’m in my mid 50’s but have a stent so will be higher up than my husband who is 60 but too ‘healthy’ to get a flu jab yet! Obviously we’ll have to be both vaccinated before we could travel anyway. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 5:15 PM, KnowTheScore said:

Sorry but if those other people have been vaccinated then surely they are protected aren't they?  So how can I possibly be putting them at risk??

Oh . . . unless the vaccines don't work and are useless of course !    In which case I doubly see no reason to get vaccinated.

Time for your vaccine so you  can CRUISE AGAIN. It won't hurt I promise! And you can a have tracking device put in you so we know what ship your are on! So we can all go on a different one 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Don't worry too much about 2021. I have 2 identical cruises booked on Iona for May and September but will probably cancel the May one to give more time for the vaccination programme to have an impact on the disease. 🤞

We’ll probably book a Uk holiday next year, see how it goes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thank you Selbourne, I’m in my mid 50’s but have a stent so will be higher up than my husband who is 60 but too ‘healthy’ to get a flu jab yet! Obviously we’ll have to be both vaccinated before we could travel anyway. 

Similar situation here Sue. My wife and I are both in the 55-60 group but my wife’s disability should hopefully bump her up a couple of groups. I’m keen to get the vaccine ASAP but fear it may be quite a few months until my turn comes. I think I’m right in saying that the NHS has just widened the eligibility list for the flu jab to anyone over 50, so your hubby should be able to get one now! Good news I guess, as long as it doesn’t slow the roll out of the covid jabs. Over the past 18 months my wife and I have had several fantastic U.K. holidays that we have enjoyed every bit as much as our cruises, so we are content to wait until we are vaccinated and all restrictions have been lifted before we book another cruise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Selbourne,  I think you are absolutely correct. The vaccination programme will take quite a few months to roll out, and it will be well into next year before anywhere like enough people have received the jab for it to make any significant difference. 

And just because we in the UK may be slightly ahead of the game,  that in itself is by no means enough to enable cruising to non-UK destinations to recommence. Round UK cruises, yes, cruises in the Med, no. I would certainly be looking to rebook any cruise scheduled to start in the first half of 2021, and I think that is being optimistic!

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Selbourne,  I think you are absolutely correct. The vaccination programme will take quite a few months to roll out, and it will be well into next year before anywhere like enough people have received the jab for it to make any significant difference. 

And just because we in the UK may be slightly ahead of the game,  that in itself is by no means enough to enable cruising to non-UK destinations to recommence. Round UK cruises, yes, cruises in the Med, no. I would certainly be looking to rebook any cruise scheduled to start in the first half of 2021, and I think that is being optimistic!

We've moved on from 2023 at least 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

We normally would have had 2 cruises and a hotel based Holiday booked for next year but currently have no major holidays booked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I’m with you on that Zap, but my concern is that there seems to be quite a lot of them! I caught a bit of the Jeremy Vine show whilst in the car yesterday and could not believe the countless ludicrous theories being put out there for gullible folk to absorb. 

I guess that is down to possible accusations of bias which are high in the minds of many radio stations. Vine is on BBC I presume, who have to be very careful. The problem is that, in the cause of balance, they feel they have to include the ludicrous scare stories and misinformation along with the mainstream and sensible. 

• Like 1

My two remaining cruises have been moved into 2022, and I’m totally comfortable with that.

The vaccination programme is going to be massive and is going to take time.

As I’m in the over 60 group, I’m quite a long way down the pecking order, so I’m not expecting to be done until next summer - but that’s fine, I’m happy to wait.

Whilst the programme is on going, social distancing and mask wearing will still be needed, and will only gradually be reduced.

I’ve been saying for a while that there might be some limited P&O cruising by the spring, but I’m not expecting any imminent return to cruising as it was in December 2019. 

My hope is that enough people have been vaccinated by this time next year to allow a large degree of normality to have returned.

To be honest, cruising isn’t really on my radar right now - as I’m living in Covid Central, a return to tier 2 would be seen as a massive step! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

I think it was the Telegraph man. Who will be the first to get it, will it be by age, will it be by Tier?  . My first thought was. Read your own paper.

I agree with your sentiments but I think tiers rather than age could be considered to be a factor. Imagine the U turn from those MPs protesting because they are in a higher tier than they think they should be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I agree with your sentiments but I think tiers rather than age could be considered to be a factor. Imagine the U turn from those MPs protesting because they are in a higher tier than they think they should be.

During this pandemic I think many of our very clever leaders, on all sides have joined the Jon Snow school of leadership.