New vaccine

hollyjess

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

One of the biggest and most dangerous things all through this pandemic has been the media. Each one covers the same stories and comes up with their own version of the truth depending on their political colour. They will edit interviews and pictures to suit their own agenda. Bad news sells. I prefer to go straight to the horse's mouth and listen to the briefings.

Avril

I don’t rely on any one source for information. I use a number of sources for information, and cross check between sources. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

But, at present, it appears the vaccine only stops the effects of CV19,  so even if you have been vaccinated you can still take the virus onboard. 

You keep quoting this wowzz but all the comments I see about the vaccines is that they need more data to determine if it will stop the virus or just protect you from getting symptoms.  Although the latest announcement from Novavax is that their vaccine does appear to stop the virus taking hold.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, davecttr said:

more info, apparently none of the vaccinated test group had to be hospitalised or died so it might behave like the flu vaccine, which I heard can reduce the disease severity even if you catch it.

That's all any vaccine does, but it's better than nothing. 

Avril

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You keep quoting this wowzz but all the comments I see about the vaccines is that they need more data to determine if it will stop the virus or just protect you from getting symptoms.  Although the latest announcement from Novavax is that their vaccine does appear to stop the virus taking hold.

I have heard this morning on one of the BBC twitter feeds, Sir Mene Pangalos, Executive Vice-President at BioPharmaceuticals stating that the vaccines potentially reduce transmission.

Obviously with an interest, but would expect more news on that to come out soon.

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don’t rely on any one source for information. I use a number of sources for information, and cross check between sources. 

I think that puts you in a different category to most people then, like Avril I take most notice of the briefings, but I despair of the inane questions most of the media ask.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think that puts you in a different category to most people then, like Avril I take most notice of the briefings, but I despair of the inane questions most of the media ask.

I don't listen to the questions afterwards. It's the  manipulating media again. 😁

Avril

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As you say, it is probably too early to state definitively one way or the other, but at present there is little evidence to suggest that any new vaccine reduces transmission. 

Which is why I do not believe that normality will suddenly return just because of mass vaccination.

With specific reference to cruising, for example, even if every passenger and crew member was vaccinated, that does not necessarily mean that a cruise ship is going to be welcomed everywhere, especially in countries where no mass vaccination has taken place.

Just seen this from Prof Andrew Pollard:-

Pollard added there was "a hint in the data" that this dose regime "was also able to reduce asymptomatic infection".

“If that is right, we might be able to halt the virus in its tracks and stop transmitting between people," he said.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

One of the biggest and most dangerous things all through this pandemic has been the media. Each one covers the same stories and comes up with their own version of the truth depending on their political colour. They will edit interviews and pictures to suit their own agenda. Bad news sells. I prefer to go straight to the horse's mouth and listen to the briefings.

Avril

Avril. A bit like some cc posts. Drill down through the reports. There will be a bad bit somewhere.,🤣

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I really wish some of those on the panel would say " are you trained to ask stupid questions, or does it come naturally. Next ". Why wont you tell us what the numbers will be next Thursday fortnight ?.🤔

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I also like to watch Prime Ministers Question time on Wednesday at midday .

Same as you though I despair when some "Tm But Dim MP" stands up and asks 

Boris ... " Will the Prime minister join me in congratulating my constituents in reviving 

our local flag pole to it's former glory in the village where I live ?" :classic_unsure:

I'm sure we have many more burning questions that need answers in the 40 minutes 

Boris is there in Parliament . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My worry is how long the vaccine will last. I had Covid-19 back in April and still have some effects from it now but worryingly after an antibody test a couple of weeks back I had no antibodies.

I'm happy to take a jab every time I want to go on a cruise by the way. 

4 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

My worry is how long the vaccine will last. I had Covid-19 back in April and still have some effects from it now but worryingly after an antibody test a couple of weeks back I had no antibodies.

Did that test also look for the important T-cells?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I'm happy to take a jab every time I want to go on a cruise by the way

I wonder how much private inoculations will cost,  as obviously you could not get a jab on the NHS just for a cruise. 

3 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

If I have to have the vaccine yearly wth the flu vaccine, then so-be-it. It's early days yet so who knows, further down the line they could combine it with the flu vaccine and give them both together. They've come a long way already over the last 9 months

Avril

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MX-Drew said:

TBH I hate to think, a simple test is upwards of £120 so a jab could be many hundreds.

I watch ski jumping and yesterday the commentator said that the athletes are tested every 3 days at a cost of 100 Euros each.

Avril

25 minutes ago, kalos said:

Boris ... " Will the Prime minister join me in congratulating my constituents in reviving 

our local flag pole to it's former glory in the village where I live ?" :classic_unsure:

I'm sure we have many more burning questions that need answers in the 40 minutes 

I agree Kalos, but PMQs was supposed to enable MPs to ask the PM local questions. It is the televising of parliament that has led to these ding dong battles between party leaders.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I watch ski jumping and yesterday the commentator said that the athletes are tested every 3 days at a cost of 100 Euros each.

Avril

I heard on the radio the other day that the Pfizer one is around £25 and the Moderna one around £15. Presumably that is just for the vaccine, not the logistics involved in getting it into us. The Pfizer one seems to be on it’s own in requiring such cold storage which of course won’t be cheap.

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I wonder how much private inoculations will cost,  as obviously you could not get a jab on the NHS just for a cruise. 

Pfizer have said their vaccine will not be for sale to the private market until it has met 

all  it's current inoculation programmes with our Government .

Professor Van Tam  said on TV   "said he believed a vaccine should be distributed according to

clinical priority rather than allowing the wealthy to be able to pay privately to jump the queue."

So I suspect it will be a fair while before we see them on sale in chemists etc. .

I’ll take the vaccine as soon as it’s offered but I think I’ll have to wait quite a while before my age group is involved. 

Over the past month, I’ve heard of more younger people contracting the virus (20-50) around here.  It’s hit one former work colleague hard - mid 40s, fit, healthy, no health problems. She’s permanently tired so it’s very worrying. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kalos said:

To look at it another way, at least he usually provides a direct and relevant answer to such trite questions. 

• Like 1