New vaccine

hollyjess

34 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Until the virus struck, we have always been happy with TUI. They were poor dealing with refunds, but so were many others including P&O. We took a voucher with +20%. We rebooked a slightly longer holiday and an extra star. The problem is, if you want to fly from Gatwick and have a good selection of hotels and flights, you are stuck with TUI.

Long before the virus struck I had a problem with TUI. I either book direct or use Hays travel. Oh and I fly from Gatwick most of the time.

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So, don't see why a Covid jab should be £100?   Also, I very much doubt it will be available privately when it's free for everyone.

Not really comparable.  The COVID vaccines will be priced to recoup the cost of the initial R&D at present, whilst each years variation of the FLU vaccine will have a  much more minor cost.  The manufacturing costs could also vary considerably and obviously the Pfizer one would be considerably more expensive due to the storage and transport difficulties regards the temperature requirement.

Prices would likely reduce long term if the vaccine(s) are to be administered regularly, but that is a very long way off yet and deoends which one is going to be the best to use in the long term in different circumstances.

Edited by tring

Just now, jeanlyon said:

So, don't see why a Covid jab should be £100? 

The covid jab is a newly developed vaccine where billions of pounds have been invested, this needs to be recouped. If the covid virus mutates, which is highly likely for this type of virus then further development will be required. Plus the companies developing and manufacturing the drug want to make as much money as possible so supply and demand takes over. The advantage with several companies manufacturing is that there will be plenty of competition which will help keep the price lower. Go to any chemist and compare prices for any ailment there can be a massive difference. Generic drugs are identical to some brand names yet people will buy products where they are familiar with the manufacturer and pay silly money. The flu virus and types is well known and understood, the company I worked for manufactured flu vaccines, production was starting in Jan for issue in September when intel from places like Australia and China was becoming available as to what strains of flu were likely to be the most prevalent. Sometimes a new strain would develop later than usual where it was too late to add it to the mix, that year the vaccine would be less effective, sometimes as low as 40%.

Just now, MX-Drew said:

Long before the virus struck I had a problem with TUI. I either book direct or use Hays travel. Oh and I fly from Gatwick most of the time.

We book direct and fly from Gatwick or Heathrow. We tend not to use travel agents and do not generally have any issues with TUI. Different strokes etc.😁

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So, don't see why a Covid jab should be £100?   Also, I very much doubt it will be available privately when it's free for everyone.

I don’t know where you have got the figure of £100 for the vaccine. Figures quoted on the previous page are for a test, not a vaccine. 
The government have said that everybody who needs a vaccine will have it provided for free. When they get it, will be determined by age, medical condition and whether they are essential workers. They have also denied that it will be available to purchase and I cannot see any reputable vaccine producer going against that and providing vaccine to private health companies. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't see why a Covid swab test cost £120 either but if you need it to travel you have to pay and it might be the same with a vaccine.

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I don’t know where you have got the figure of £100 for the vaccine. Figures quoted on the previous page are for a test, not a vaccine. 
The government have said that everybody who needs a vaccine will have it provided for free. When they get it, will be determined by age, medical condition and whether they are essential workers. They have also denied that it will be available to purchase and I cannot see any reputable vaccine producer going against that and providing vaccine to private health companies. 

The figure came up as a tongue in cheek figure but I would not be surprised to see that. Drugs are not cheap and if there is a market for people to jump the queue you can bet a profit will be made. 

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It won't be available for the under 50s, unless they fall into certain categories. 

That is according to the current immediate plans which even then are not set in stone as yet.  What is to be done after that is not yet decided.  That was stated by one of the experts on the briefings a couple of weeks ago.

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

It depends on contractual obligations, the flu vaccine was only available through the NHS whereas now you can get it at most chemists and major supermarkets. I would expect that various governments have good contracts in place, the last thing we need is unscrupulous companies selling covid vaccine online like they do for most other goods.

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The price per dose is the the public domain. The Oxford vaccine, for example costs roughly £3, the Modena vaccine £25. But obviously the actual cost to the individual, if and when they are available privately, will be considerably greater.

18 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Jean if you look at the prices quoted by Wowzz and  Pfizer at £15 cost who also say theirs will

be made not-for-profit as long as the pandemic continues and same with the Oxford one,£3.

Maybe because people are posting about tests which can cost £100 private you are confusing 

them with the vaccines ,that for now anyway will be sold at cost and not private .

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Jean if you look at the prices quoted by Wowzz and  Pfizer at £15 cost who also say theirs will

be made not-for-profit as long as the pandemic continues and same with the Oxford one,£3.

Maybe because people are posting about tests which can cost £100 private you are confusing 

them with the vaccines ,that for now anyway will be sold at cost and not private .

They may only cost a few quid, but once somebody sticks a needle in your arm whilst you are sitting in a comfy chair in their clinic with a nice cup of tea afterwards. £100 looks cheap. Going to the local car park and sticking your arm out if the window whilst a squady jabs a needle in your arm may be a bit cheaper. Sausages cost 40p in Tesco whilst a sausage sandwich in the Dorchester is at least £20. Cost and selling price sometimes differ.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I mistook a test for a vaccination, then sorry about that, but that's how I read it.  Is it being suggested that you need a test to go on a cruise?  I thought they were doing that at the port?  Anyway, very early days.  I can't see cruising starting in March frankly.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

. Sometimes a new strain would develop later than usual where it was too late to add it to the mix, that year the vaccine would be less effective, sometimes as low as 40%.

Hasn't 40% been the average effective rate over the past 17 years for the flu vaccine ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I think there is a big difference between taking a drug for morning sickness and having a vaccination.

That's so true. If I had been offered Thalidomide when I was pregnant with my children I would have refused, as I tried to be as drug-free  as possible knowing there were more natural options. Had I been offered a vaccination against a fast spreading and potentially deadly virus, I would have accepted on the spot. Morning sickness is not fatal.

Avril

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, zap99 said:

They may only cost a few quid, but once somebody sticks a needle in your arm whilst you are sitting in a comfy chair in their clinic with a nice cup of tea afterwards. £100 looks cheap. Going to the local car park and sticking your arm out if the window whilst a squady jabs a needle in your arm may be a bit cheaper. Sausages cost 40p in Tesco whilst a sausage sandwich in the Dorchester is at least £20. Cost and selling price sometimes differ.🤣

So many questions and options :classic_unsure: Mrs Kalos has just read out a social media post to me.

Goes a bit like this ...

" I don't care how effective or safe they say these vaccines are !

You have no idea what's in them do you ?

Anyway I'm off to McDonalds now for a Big Mac .:classic_wacko:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Also, I cannot imagine cruise lines or other travel companies making it mandatory to have a vaccination.  Some people can't have a vaccination, others may choose not to.

There is a school of thought that those who choose not to have the vaccine should not be allowed to travel.

• Like 2