New vaccine

hollyjess

1 minute ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Why would anyone fake a stamp when vaccine is going to be free? So do they use fake yellow fever certificates

Because anti vaxers will want to prove that they have been injected, if vaccination is required before, for example, going on a cruise.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Electronically stored evidence is the way to go. It's done when I visit Australia for an ETA, easy.

To a certain extent I agree with you, but ETAs for the US , Australia etc, are completed on the relevant government's web site. In the case of vaccination certificates it would be necessary to allow individuals and foreign authorities to access a NHS site, which is a totally different situation.

• Like 1

To answer the original question, my wife and I will both have the vaccine as soon as it is available to us. We are in the 55-60 age bracket, so I think we are still some months away from having it. I’d like to believe the ‘by Easter’ rhetoric, but won’t be booking any overseas holidays or cruises on the strength of that! If there’s an option to pay to have it privately sooner than the NHS gets around to us then we would do that. I simply don’t buy the argument that access to the private market would slow the delivery in the NHS. Matt Hancock is saying that the only thing that should slow the delivery of the vaccine is supply, but that’s a politicians response and I think we all know that it will be capacity,  just has been the case with testing. 

My wife has some reservations about the vaccine on the basis that it has taken 10 months to develop when the normal lead time on a vaccine is 10 years, but I have reassured her on the basis that scientists and medical folk are by nature risk averse, extremely clever and there have been no significant side effects! In fact, I am hoping that one good thing to come from this pandemic might be that the ludicrously long lead times for life changing medicines to gain type approval in the NHS might be challenged going forward based on the experience of COVID-19 vaccine development.

In so far as cruising is concerned, our view hasn’t changed since the start of this crisis. We said that we wouldn’t cruise again until we are vaccinated. Thankfully, that’s now within sight. Added to that, we aren’t interested in cruising again until all proposed restrictions (mask wearing, social distancing, restrictions going ashore etc etc) are consigned to history. We just wouldn’t enjoy that at all and it would be a complete waste of money for us. Hopefully, with the vaccine news, these restrictions could be lifted within the next year, but we are in no rush so won’t be booking any cruises until that’s confirmed. 

Of far more concern to us is the hope that rapid progress on vaccinations will enable the NHS to resume normal service. The near complete shut down of our entire health service to deal with just one, albeit critical, issue will have ramifications for many years to come and I fear that more people could ultimately die from delayed cancer diagnoses, heart and stroke issues, to name just a few, than will have succumbed to COVID-19.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Electronically stored evidence is the way to go. It's done when I visit Australia for an ETA, easy.

Hence my post a few weeks ago, QR code tattoos.  You get scanned whenever you get any sort of jab, straight onto your medical records.  When anyone needs to check if you have the appropriate jab, they scan your tat and check against the database.  Job (or jab) done.

The only question, where is your tat going to be?  Shy and discreet, but have to remove your pants at border control, or bold and proud, on your forehead so you can pass through border control with the minimum of fuss. 😄

On a serious note, for those of you who don't have the normal NHS app, you should be able to access NHS vaccination history via the app.  So the facility is already there for people to be able to prove they had the relevant vaccination (if done through the NHS), as long as records are updated.

I'm still a fan of stamping passports though.  Yes stamps can be faked as can certificates.  Well if we all have the vaccine, then those with fake stamps/certificates are only endangering themselves surely?  More fool them.  Also, there's still parts of the world out there where border officials may not have access to the database,  or they may not believe what your phone app says - in which case they will probably impose a "local tax".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

The other thing to remember is that, so far,we are discussing only 3 varieties of vaccine, many more in development and those maybe the ones to help the immunosuppressed. Therefore ,it will only be the anti vaxxers that won't have it .Eventually I think the young will get it as well, or ifnot the take up will be so good  that herd immunity is developed. 

If some work better than others and we have 350m doses and some will refuse it, those of us who are gagging to get Jabbed could have one of each.🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Plus, if as seems likely, you require two injections,  possibly annually, it's going to be very difficult for authorities to check to see if you have the "current" stamps. 

I would have thought the way to go would be the old  yellow fever certificate route, possibly an on line document that you could print out. If Dido Harding was put in charge of the process,  it would be a quick and easy  solution, privacy as world beating as the UK track and trace arrangements. 

Pritti would be better. Tell the chaps off. They don't like that. Fake every thing available so put a chemical market in the vaccine so that they can scan your arm, unless you have the jab somewhere else 

32 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I don’t think that there should be a choice of where the tat goes I agree right on your forehead oh but could these be faked also😂

How about those electronic chips that pets have?. As you go through the metal detector at the airport. Ello, ello, ello. You can't go through yet. You need to go to our vaccination partner to have your jab updated.£1000 please guv.😁

• Like 1

It was no surprise to me that Qantas have announced that they will require proof of Covid vaccination for passengers. I can see most countries, transport carriers and especially cruise lines bringing in the same stipulation. Although not 100% effective it will significantly reduce the likelihood of infection on board. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

My wife has some reservations about the vaccine on the basis that it has taken 10 months to develop when the normal lead time on a vaccine is 10 years, but I have reassured her on the basis that scientists and medical folk are by nature risk averse, extremely clever and there have been no significant side effects! In fact, I am hoping that one good thing to come from this pandemic might be that the ludicrously long lead times for life changing medicines to gain type approval in the NHS might be challenged going forward based on the experience of COVID-19 vaccine development.

One of the Oxford professors,  when questioned about the speed in which the vaccine had been developed, commented that under normal conditions, the development was constrained by bureaucracy. Grant applications have to be made, possibly several times,  there can be a substantial delay before any grant us received, and monies often only come in tranches, limiting the size of clinical trials. Remove these obstacles, and speedy developments can be made. It also helped that Coronavirus was already subject to research, so it was not as if they were starting with a blank sheet of paper.

If a drug was developed in less than a year I would share your wife's concern, but with an inert vaccine I am more than happy to be first in the queue ( or at least number 7,457, 632)

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

It was no surprise to me that Qantas have announced that they will require proof of Covid vaccination for passengers. I can see most countries, transport carriers and especially cruise lines bringing in the same stipulation. Although not 100% effective it will significantly reduce the likelihood of infection on board. 

And since they have put that line in the sand on safety so to speak the other airlines and by extension cruise lines will have to follow suit. Although I personally think it was PM Morrision speaking with the words coming out of the Qantas director Alan Joyce's mouth to be fair. But either way the line is in the sand now.

2 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I don’t think that there should be a choice of where the tat goes I agree right on your forehead oh but could these be faked also😂

Another problem could be how often you have to have the vaccination. If it's yearly and your young, then you're going to need plenty of skin area.🤣

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Hence my post a few weeks ago, QR code tattoos.  You get scanned whenever you get any sort of jab, straight onto your medical records.  When anyone needs to check if you have the appropriate jab, they scan your tat and check against the database.  Job (or jab) done.

The only question, where is your tat going to be?  Shy and discreet, but have to remove your pants at border control, or bold and proud, on your forehead so you can pass through border control with the minimum of fuss. 😄

Even though I have plenty of forehead available (more than most being "follically challenged") I perish the thought of the barcode tattoo!

image.png.e3248ab72b6e9503ae9cbfb9fe759432.png

I much prefer the passport idea even if you'd need a new stamp for every renewal.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

To a certain extent I agree with you, but ETAs for the US , Australia etc, are completed on the relevant government's web site. In the case of vaccination certificates it would be necessary to allow individuals and foreign authorities to access a NHS site, which is a totally different situation.

Surely it would be possible the other way round, the NHS site could send the vaccination data to the passport office, but it would need the NHS to keep details of everyone that has been vaccinated, I'm sure it's possible, but govt computer systems are even worse than P&Os.

51 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Surely it would be possible the other way round, the NHS site could send the vaccination data to the passport office, but it would need the NHS to keep details of everyone that has been vaccinated, I'm sure it's possible, but govt computer systems are even worse than P&Os.

Good idea - what could possibly go wrong?????????????

• Like 1

Interesting discussion on newscast about the vaccine. The Quantas announcement that the vaccine is required for travel has stirred the pot.

Apparently younger folks are not happy to be last in the queue if it restricts what they can do without a vaccine. 

One part of me thinks they have a point if private companies are going to impose restrictions on those without a certificate. On the other hand there were a lot of comments suggesting the government “lock up the old and vulnerable and let the healthy get on with life”. On that basis the old and vulnerable are in greatest need of vaccine protection first.

I don’t think any public services will be restricted in this way but other private companies may follow Quantas.

interesting times......

On 11/25/2020 at 1:12 AM, Eglesbrech said:

Interesting discussion on newscast about the vaccine. The Quantas announcement that the vaccine is required for travel has stirred the pot.

Apparently younger folks are not happy to be last in the queue if it restricts what they can do without a vaccine. 

One part of me thinks they have a point if private companies are going to impose restrictions on those without a certificate. On the other hand there were a lot of comments suggesting the government “lock up the old and vulnerable and let the healthy get on with life”. On that basis the old and vulnerable are in greatest need of vaccine protection first.

I don’t think any public services will be restricted in this way but other private companies may follow Quantas.

interesting times......

Younger folks might not even get it period end of story if some media reports in recent weeks are to be believed. Though I think the stirring of the pot was the idea.

And besides it looks like this is garbage. The research data is all incorrect apparently  hence the anomaly. It remains to be seen whether this vaccine will be acceptable for foreign travel because not all of them might be and it  might not even be approved. And if we don't get our own vaccine in our own right it could be a very long time before we get a good quantity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Younger folks might not even get it period end of story if some media reports in recent weeks are to be believed. Though I think the stirring of the pot was the idea.

And besides it looks like this is garbage. The research data is all incorrect apparently  hence the anomaly. It remains to be seen whether this vaccine will be acceptable for foreign travel because not all of them might be and it  might not even be approved. And if we don't get our own vaccine in our own right it could be a very long time before we get a good quantity.

Where we have been required to have a jab for say, yellow fever, hep b etc. I can't recall any country specifying a particular brand.

• Like 2

The potential problems with the Oxford vaccine (source hiffpost)

> 90% efficacy was limited to participants aged 55 and below, only they got the half dose 🤔

> 2,741 got the low dose

> 8,895 got the high dose leading to questions about the small sample size of the low dose

> questions about the study

> in brazil the placebo was saline solution

> in the UK placebo was meningococcal vaccine

> data not standardised across the studies ?

there are worrying noises from the scientific community and this might result in approval being delayed

hope we are not seeing another 'beating world' episode

😨😨😨

7 minutes ago, davecttr said:

90% efficacy was limited to participants aged 55 and below, only they got the half dose 

I thought the 90% efficacy related to those who were given half a dose (by accident !) and they were then given a full dose 4 weeks later.