New vaccine

hollyjess

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Think Avril ?  Where did you see it last ??

What do you mean at your last emergency ! :classic_wacko: :classic_unsure:

I'm wondering if I left it behind the sofa🤔I'm sure I had one in my hand the last time I was round there😁

Avril

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I am pretty sure that York and North Yorkshire currently in tier 2 will be in a higher tier.

Rates have more than doubled in the past week, almost certainly due to the influence of visitors over the run up to Christmas.

I live in the same area and expect us to go to tier 3 if not to a complete lockdown. Really pleased about vaccine. DH is 60 next year and we are tentatively planning a big cruise so fingers crossed Mr Hancock is right with his forecast of being back to normal come Spring. 🤞🤞

• Like 1

I have heard differing  efficiency figures from different sources today. We will probably not know the true figure until several months pass. For me the thought that the vaccine mitigating the effects of the disease even if you do catch it is comforting.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

There’s an upside to everything.
Best advice I can give is to down the bottle now and then you won’t care what Matt or Boris has to say....

Isn’t Gavin Williamson the education secretary due to make a statement after Matt Hancock to tell us that on all the occasions he said that schools would reopen next week as scheduled he didn’t really mean it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, pete14 said:

Isn’t Gavin Williamson the education secretary due to make a statement after Matt Hancock to tell us that on all the occasions he said that schools would reopen next week as scheduled he didn’t really mean it?

He is......oh dear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Hello Phil,what do you mean when you say "we won't know"?It's been anounced on t.v. earlier this morning that after all the trials and tests that have been done,you will all recieve 70% protection after day 22 of recieving the first vaccine.Take a look at my prior response to "seabourne" for a little more understanding of what was being discussed,hope this helps.

Good day sir. What I mean by "we wont know" is that there isn't enough evidence based on a few thousand trial participants to categorically state that  everyone will receive 70% protection after day 22, I think you misunderstand what has been said. As I said some people will get little or no protection others could get 100% protection. I had over 30 years in the pharmaceutical industry before retiring and as a manufacturer of various vaccines, including flu vaccine. I understand how they work and what effect they have on the human body. I also know that manufacturers can be inventive with statistical evidence. Only time will tell how effective the various vaccines will be when millions of people have had them. Just because  it has been announced on tv doesn't mean it is a fact. There are thousand of reports from various media sources mooting 65-90% efficacy for the Oxford vaccine, the 50% half dose further confused matters. 

• Like 5

Did I hear correctly that we have 530,000 doses in our hot little hands right now, with a further unspecified number of vaccines due in early February and nothing in between? If so, spring/Easter/whatever seems a little optimistic.

• Like 1

Just now, AnnieC said:

Did I hear correctly that we have 530,000 doses in our hot little hands right now, with a further unspecified number of vaccines due in early February and nothing in between? If so, spring/Easter/whatever seems a little optimistic.

I believe that figure  is relating to the original vaccine, the Oxford vaccine is supposed to be delivered for vaccinations to start on 4th Jan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

I believe that figure  is relating to the original vaccine, the Oxford vaccine is supposed to be delivered for vaccinations to start on 4th Jan.

Thanks - I thought the figure of 530,000 was the AZ one - my mistake.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

You heard correctly. He stated numbers for Oxford vaccine and was asked a question by his opposite number so repeated it. Only 530k doses of Oxford vaccine due next week with the next batch (I think he said 2m) due early Feb. If correct that is very worrying. That is still scratching the surface and means it’s going to take months and months. Hopefully Boris will be pressed on this at 5pm. 

• Like 3

Just now, Selbourne said:

You heard correctly. He stated numbers for Oxford vaccine and was asked a question by his opposite number so repeated it. Only 530k doses of Oxford vaccine due next week with the next batch (I think he said 2m) due early Feb. If correct that is very worrying. That is still scratching the surface and means it’s going to take months and months. Hopefully Boris will be pressed on this at 5pm. 

Thanks, Selbourne.

The problem with the press conferences is that they have mainly political journalists like Robert Peston asking (v e r y   l o n g) questions and very few science correspondents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

What the 70% means is this,when ten adults are vaccinated they will ALL start to be protected.Nobody is getting a higher level of protection than the next person and the protection will start to work after day 21/22.The protection level is a bit like the flu jab we get every year,but that's about 50/60%,i didn't know that untill earlier this year.

With respect, I think you have misunderstood. Why would they quote 70% if 100% are protected? Makes no sense. 

• Like 1

530,000 Oxford jabs available from Monday and further batches from February, frankly depressing as there are over 12 million in my age group and over plus special cases. I see the beeb was just as confused as everyone else. As far as I understand the Pfizer vaccine remains at 2 doses at 3 weeks interval and the Oxford one will be 2 doses at 12 week intervals, with up to 80% efficiency after the second dose. By 80% I think they mean if they vaccinate 1 million people 200,000 could still catch COVID, hopefully with a less dangerous infection 😵

So do I expect my first dose sometime in April as January no longer counts, then the final dose in July, that is 7 months away 😟

21 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Thanks, Selbourne.

The problem with the press conferences is that they have mainly political journalists like Robert Peston asking (v e r y   l o n g) questions and very few science correspondents.

I watch every briefing and press conference and it does my blood pressure and mental health no good at all, as I find myself shouting at the press for asking such inane questions whilst not asking the important ones that we all want to know. I would be pressing for a target date by when they hope to have all 9 groups (all over 50’s) vaccinated by. The politicians, medics and scientists alike are all too vague and leaving things open to interpretation. They keep talking about having the ‘most vulnerable’ vaccinated by ‘late Spring’ but what does ‘most vulnerable’ mean? Is that over 70’s and those with underlying health issues, or everyone over 50? Nobody has been crystal clear - we are all making assumptions based on what we think we hear (or, dare I say it, want to hear). Also, when is ‘late Spring’? In my book that could be June which is still 6 months away. I doubt we will be any clearer at 5pm. Boris never answers the question asked and the scientists / medics skirt around it for fear of dropping the politicians in it! 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

With respect, I think you have misunderstood. Why would they quote 70% if 100% are protected? Makes no sense. 

I didn't say 100% would be protected, I said some people would get 100% protection and some would get very little or none. 70% efficacy doesn't mean that everybody gets 70% protection. We are all different and peoples immune system work differently. The 70% figure means that 70 people out of 100 will be protected when compared to the placebo group. The other 30% are likely to get covid if infected, there is a chance that of that 30% some will have varying levels of protection, as I have said until it happens we don't know.

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

I didn't say 100% would be protected, I said some people would get 100% protection and some would get very little or none. 70% efficacy doesn't mean that everybody gets 70% protection. We are all different and peoples immune system work differently. The 70% figure means that 70 people out of 100 will be protected when compared to the placebo group. The other 30% are likely to get covid if infected, there is a chance that of that 30% some will have varying levels of protection, as I have said until it happens we don't know.

I agree with you. That’s exactly my understanding. I was challenging Mr Clive Brown, not you, as he  has interpreted it completely differently and, I believe, inaccurately. 

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

As i understand it,there saying that the result of their trials showed that 70% showed no symptoms and the remaining 30% had minor issues,nothing severe.Each person has a different level of protection.That's why it's a success rate of 70%.Ten people in a line,you all have the vaccine,up to 12 weeks later they check and 7 are fine and 3 have some minor coughs or aches,no one dies.70%.

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I agree with you. That’s exactly my understanding. I was challenging Mr Clive Brown, not you, as he  has interpreted it completely differently and, I believe, inaccurately. 

I thought you were replying to me as I quoted the 100% figure not Mr Clive Brown. No worries.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

As i understand it,there saying that the result of their trials showed that 70% showed no symptoms and the remaining 30% had minor issues,nothing severe.Each person has a different level of protection.That's why it's a success rate of 70%.Ten people in a line,you all have the vaccine,up to 12 weeks later they check and 7 are fine and 3 have some minor coughs or aches,no one dies.70%.

You have changed how you first put your interpretation across, this is what you stated "It's been anounced on t.v. earlier this morning that after all the trials and tests that have been done,you will all recieve 70% protection after day 22 of recieving the first vaccine.

9 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

You have changed how you first put your interpretation across, this is what you stated "It's been anounced on t.v. earlier this morning that after all the trials and tests that have been done,you will all recieve 70% protection after day 22 of recieving the first vaccine.

Check my first interpretation of this and you will see no change,no.1056.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Check my first interpretation of this and you will see no change,no.1056.

This is exactly paraphrased from said post, then I have added your latest post for comparison

What the 70% means is this,when ten adults are vaccinated they will ALL start to be protected.Nobody is getting a higher level of protection than the next person and the protection will start to work after day 21/22.The protection level is a bit like the flu jab we get every year,but that's about 50/60%,i didn't know that untill earlier this year.