New vaccine

hollyjess

31 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Apart from famous people like Tom Jones does anyone on here actually know anyone that has had the vaccine? I don’t know of anyone around here or on our local Facebook pages

Statistically, only around 1 in 5 of the over 80’s received their jab in December, which is more informative than anecdotal info re individuals. Concerning therefore that 80% remain outstanding given the speed with which the virus is spreading and the fact that, according to Professor Chris Witty and others, future supplies are limited. 

We are currently vaccinating just 250k people per week and this needs to increase 8 fold to 2m per week for the target of 30m vulnerable people and healthcare workers to be vaccinated by Easter. For every week that doesn’t happen (and it’s some way off happening), the 2m weekly target goes up. There are conflicting reports about how many vaccines will be available and when, but I have seen nothing whatsoever to suggest that there is a guaranteed steady supply of 2m vaccines a week, every week, from now on. I think we were lead to believe that once the Oxford vaccine was approved there were tens of millions of doses ready and waiting to be distributed. That is clearly not the case. One off deliveries of 500k or even 2m won’t even scratch the surface. 

If you volunteer to help administer the vaccine, you have to supply the following documentation,  or attend the relevant modules . You really couldn't make it up, could you?

1 Passport or proof of right to work
2 DBS certificate
3 Highest education certificate
4 Conflict resolution, level 1
5 Core knowledge for vaccinators
6 Covid mRNA vaccine BNT162b2
7 Data security awareness, level 1
8 Equality, diversity & human rights
9 Fire safety, level 1
10 Health, safety and welfare, level 1
11 Infection prevention, level 2
12 Introduction to anaphylaxis
13 Legal aspects of vaccination
14 Moving and handling, level 1
15 Preventing radicalisation, level 1
16 Managing anaphylaxis
17 Resuscitation, level 2
18 Safeguarding adults, level 2
19 Safeguarding children, level 2
20 Vaccine administration
21 Vaccine storage

Edited by wowzz

53 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Apart from famous people like Tom Jones does anyone on here actually know anyone that has had the vaccine? I don’t know of anyone around here or on our local Facebook pages

Gandalf has had it, he's not that famous,🤔

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If you volunteer to help administer the vaccine, you have to supply the following documentation,  or attend the relevant modules . You really couldn't make it up, could you?

2 DBS certificate
9 Fire safety, level 1
16 Managing anaphylaxis
21 Vaccine storage

Which one do you feel is unimportant?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

2 DBS certificate
9 Fire safety, level 1
16 Managing anaphylaxis
21 Vaccine storage

Well not being an expert I would quite like the person sticking a needle in my arm to have some knowledge, like checking it's the right stuff, new needle etc. Out of that list, No's 8and 15 seem a bit unnecessary, but many others seem quite a good idea . Do you think some proof of training may be wise, or are you not too bothered. ?

Edited by zap99

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Well not being an expert I would quite like the person sticking a needle in my arm the have some knowledge, like checking it's the right stuff, new needle etc. Out of that list, No's 8and 15 seem a bit unnecessary, but many others seem quite a good idea . Do you think some proof of training may be wise, or are you not too bothered. ?

I saw that list too, but it is maybe worthwhile putting some context behind it. The person who reported that list in a letter to the Times is a recently retired GP. His experience has been mirrored by other retired GP's and health care professionals who have been astonished by the layers of bureaucracy that are required to be satisfied by people who have 20 years and upwards experience in general practice.

I think that a more relaxed approach could be taken for recently retired professionals but maybe I'm naïve and have not fully appreciated the sea of paperwork that now underpins all that goes on in the healthcare industry

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I would never say Told you so.

I don’t see anyone blaming, simply quoting what is covered in the news. Both companies are saying the same apparently so either they are both not being truthful, the government are not or as is usually the case the truth is in the middle somewhere.

Personally I would be delighted if there is no supply issue. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Well not being an expert I would quite like the person sticking a needle in my arm to have some knowledge, like checking it's the right stuff, new needle etc. Out of that list, No's 8and 15 seem a bit unnecessary, but many others seem quite a good idea . Do you think some proof of training may be wise, or are you not too bothered. ?

The following scene may cause some distress to any anti vaxers viewing this post :classic_unsure: :classic_wink:

tenor.gif.5a41279ea33167d0055b9ad8e33fc58e.gif

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

2 DBS certificate
9 Fire safety, level 1
16 Managing anaphylaxis
21 Vaccine storage

Given how we seem to have become a society fond of litigation, I'm  not really that surprised.  While I was still at work we had to do  some similar modules, but did them electronically and a certificate was stored electronically.  Some modules only took half an hour.

Re the DBS certificate, I would of thought that it would be better in this situation for the employer to get and pay for the certificate.  Especially as the employer can request a more detailed check than an individual.  With regard to this, the gov website specifically mentions roles in healthcare.  Sounds a bit like doing it on the cheap.  Also, it takes for up to 14 days for an individual to receive a DBS certificate.  I would like to think that if the NHS were requesting the certificate, they could arrange some sort of prioritisation, otherwise it's 14 days before someone can start to help out with the jabbing.  Maybe they could spend that time doing their modules?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

Don't know anyone who has had the jab.  Dear old Mum is 92 and lives in a care home, no jab so far for her, nor any of the staff working in the care home.  And I thought they were the top priority.  One of friends works on a ward at the local hospital.  No vaccine for her either.  The hospital has given her a box of lateral flow tests and told to test herself twice a week.  Last summer she tested positive for the antibodies.

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I don’t see anyone blaming, simply quoting what is covered in the news. Both companies are saying the same apparently so either they are both not being truthful, the government are not or as is usually the case the truth is in the middle somewhere.

Personally I would be delighted if there is no supply issue. 

So would I. And looking at the relative histories of the parties concerned I see no reason whatsoever to disbelieve what the two companies are saying.  This has all the hallmarks of another cover up, which will only come out later,  too late to rectify the damage caused by the very, very slow start of only 250,000 vaccinations a week, by comparison with the promised million a week.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, wowzz said:

2 DBS certificate
9 Fire safety, level 1
16 Managing anaphylaxis
21 Vaccine storage

I thought we were in the middle of a crisis 🙄

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

My in laws have, due their second dose this week, they are 89 and 87. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

My sister has had it because she is a nurse so front line staff.  No adverse affects.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, 7, 8 and 9 seem pretty irrelevant.

Don't forget, that many of those volunteering were practising doctors until very recently. 

Many of our volunteers have been out of nursing for many years . Bear in mind we've had 2 anaphylaxis episodes since  starting 3 weeks ago. You do need some one with a bit of up to date  knowledge.

• Like 1

Just now, ohnonotmeagain said:

Many of our volunteers have been out of nursing for many years . Bear in mind we've had 2 anaphylaxis episodes since  starting 3 weeks ago. You do need some one with a bit of up to date  knowledge.

You are right, however I was told by a registrar friend from a local hospital that any volunteers would be working in supervised groups. 

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, 7, 8 and 9 seem pretty irrelevant.

Don't forget, that many of those volunteering were practising doctors until very recently. 

If they were practicing doctors they probably have all that paperwork, perhaps all encompassed in a single certificate of competency. I think some person getting off an inflatable in Kent and claiming to be a doctor should be asked to prove it. When I get a flu jab, nursey does it by herself. Keeping my data secure and knowing what to do when the fire alarm goes if is not unimportant IMO.

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I thought we were in the middle of a crisis 🙄

Indeed. Many of us here will have been involved in various project management schemes. Any such process should identify crucial pinch points at an early stage. It was obvious that a major pinch point would be getting sufficient personnel to administer the vaccines.

So why didn't the government start the whole process 4 or 5 months ago, possibly using some form of refresher course, so that all those who wished to help would now be registered and ready to go! 

If I ran a project the way the government is running this, I would have been fired for incompetence.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

My in laws have, due their second dose this week, they are 89 and 87. 

Bumped into a friend in our village yesterday.  He is 86 with diabetes, has had his first jab and will also be given his second.  Another friend of both his and ours is 87 and has not been called yet.

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

You are right, however I was told by a registrar friend from a local hospital that any volunteers would be working in supervised groups. 

Absolutely true,however,if you are in a single room at the end of the hub and someone collapses,you would still want someone with  recent training updates.

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Keeping my data secure and knowing what to do when the fire alarm goes if is not unimportant IMO.

Sorry - knowing how to use a fire extinguisher is unimportant in a viral pandemic. 

9 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

2 in a million!