New vaccine

hollyjess

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hi Everyone

We're used to form filling in the NHS! This latest batch isn't too bad. All our vaccinators completed it without any trouble and a lot of it is standard H&S stuff which we do on a regular basis anyway. We haven't used any volunteers. All our GPs and nurses have relocated to a bigger 'hub' practice to give the vaccines and all the attendant vaccinators have been local GPs and nurses. We've staffed our own practice with locums while the vaccinators have been at the hub and all has gone well.

We still haven't heard about delivery of the Oxford vaccines yet. Hopefully we'll get news about that on Monday because at the moment we have no idea how to order, or if it's a set allocation. It would be lovely to hear in advance of the Daily Mail!

Stay safe.

Best wishes.

Jane

Thanks very much for all your doing.....priceless.Stay safe.

• Like 3

I think there is probably one (?) thing that we can all agree on, regardless of fire training, gender fluidity awareness etc. And that is the lack of planning and foresight.

Any critical path analysis would have highlighted that there would be a need for additional volunteers to administer the vaccines - not everywhere, as Beckett has pointed out, but still needed in certain areas.

Given that this need must have been recognised 6 months ago, why is it only now that this whole farago is unravelling ? Did no one think, back in August, "Better get some volunteers in place for when the vaccines are ready"?

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I think there is probably one (?) thing that we can all agree on, regardless of fire training, gender fluidity awareness etc. And that is the lack of planning and foresight.

Any critical path analysis would have highlighted that there would be a need for additional volunteers to administer the vaccines - not everywhere, as Beckett has pointed out, but still needed in certain areas.

Given that this need must have been recognised 6 months ago, why is it only now that this whole farago is unravelling ? Did no one think, back in August, "Better get some volunteers in place for when the vaccines are ready"?

I can't help but think that all this will have been discussed at various times and levels over the past months, however talking about it and doing it are 2 different things. Its not as if it is the most important issue on the planet😁

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

It is all reasonable and standard so some of the earlier posts about project management etc did make me giggle. All of our vaccinators are extremely well trained and experienced so you’ll be in safe hands!

I do understand that to those who don’t work in the service that some things we have to do may seem excessive but there’s a reason for everything and you can’t be too careful when dealing with someone’s health.

This has been the worst year I’ve ever experienced since joining the NHS but I wouldn’t change my job for anything!

Sometimes folk, not me you understand think requirements are unnecessary, but when the experts explain all becomes clear. Thank you all. For those that can't see the emergency exit, that's the door that the captain has jumped out of wearing his parachute.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Thank you Mr Clive Browne, you're very kind; but I agree with Lancashire_cruisers in that I wouldn't change my job for anything. I wouldn't mind a nice little cruise within the next few months though!

Jane

You and everyone else Jane,your more deserving of course but i think it's going to be a longer wait than what i first thought.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry Wowzz, I can't agree with that either. The requirement for volunteers and this form had been known for months and had been discussed on here before. I don't know what farago is. Are we back to UKIP?🤣

42 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As with Jane’s post we aren’t using volunteers in my Trust just the usual cohort of vaccinators and other staff who have been trained up. Where necessary we’re backfilling posts to release staff and have successfully secured new premises at a very competitive price to run as our vaccination hub which is next door to one of our major sites. 

The planning for this has been ongoing for quite some time now in between working crazy hours dealing with a pandemic, mourning the loss of colleagues and family as a result of the virus, planning and delivering the annual flu vaccination programme, trying to source PPE that’s actually fit for purpose, and responding to the numerous requests for information at the last minute from NHSE! Never mind trying to absorb the veritable avalanche of ever changing guidance and COVID-19 information coming out of DHSC.

Apart from that it’s been quite quiet really 😉

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

As with Jane’s post we aren’t using volunteers in my Trust just the usual cohort of vaccinators and other staff who have been trained up. Where necessary we’re backfilling posts to release staff and have successfully secured new premises at a very competitive price to run as our vaccination hub which is next door to one of our major sites. 

The planning for this has been ongoing for quite some time now in between working crazy hours dealing with a pandemic, mourning the loss of colleagues and family as a result of the virus, planning and delivering the annual flu vaccination programme, trying to source PPE that’s actually fit for purpose, and responding to the numerous requests for information at the last minute from NHSE! Never mind trying to absorb the veritable avalanche of ever changing guidance and COVID-19 information coming out of DHSC.

Just to be clear,  I was in no way denigrating anyone on the front line, who have been doing an incredible job, despite the incompetence of those in government.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

This has not just been done now, someone did post an advert from a while before Christmas.  I do think August would have been silly though, for a job that is just temporary and probably just on a work when needed basis and they would have had no idea then what was/was not needed.  They have been preparing for a month or two now with buildings being arranged for use as needed.

If you remember people were being asked to volunteer for roles way back at the beginning of the pandemic.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

You should go back a little bit further than august,try about five years ago when Jeremy Hunt was asked to do an assesment of how prepared we are for a possible pandemic.His conclusion came back as,totally unprepared and the then boss,David Cameron,filed it,most probably because he had bigger fish to fry(brexit).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

You should go back a little bit further than august,try about five years ago when Jeremy Hunt was asked to do an assesment of how prepared we are for a possible pandemic.His conclusion came back as,totally unprepared and the then boss,David Cameron,filed it,most probably because he had bigger fish to fry(brexit).

Good point.

8 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Unfortunately that is the way things generally work, when SARS reared its head that was going to be potentially much worse than it turned out. A lot of businesses including ours discussed what would happen if we lost a certain percentage of our staff, it ended up being a box ticking exercise which was filed away as SARS subsided. I would imagine money was the determining factor. I read an article this morning where some bod was blaming successive governments for not investing in the Pharma industry, some good points were made, but it is always easy to be wise after the event.

The government's lack of investment 'to blame for slow vaccine roll-out' | Daily Mail Online

40 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I hope you do recognise the gratitude most of us feel for you all providing the healthcare we all need, in these difficult times.

However do you think you will be able to vaccinate at the required level, if not will it be shortage of staff or lack of supplies of vaccine?

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Hi Everyone

We're used to form filling in the NHS! This latest batch isn't too bad. All our vaccinators completed it without any trouble and a lot of it is standard H&S stuff which we do on a regular basis anyway. We haven't used any volunteers. All our GPs and nurses have relocated to a bigger 'hub' practice to give the vaccines and all the attendant vaccinators have been local GPs and nurses. We've staffed our own practice with locums while the vaccinators have been at the hub and all has gone well.

We still haven't heard about delivery of the Oxford vaccines yet. Hopefully we'll get news about that on Monday because at the moment we have no idea how to order, or if it's a set allocation. It would be lovely to hear in advance of the Daily Mail!

Stay safe.

Best wishes.

Jane

I have just completed my e learning from the usual place for the AZ vaccine  today incase it's delivered this week!!!

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Unfortunately that is the way things generally work, when SARS reared its head that was going to be potentially much worse than it turned out. A lot of businesses including ours discussed what would happen if we lost a certain percentage of our staff, it ended up being a box ticking exercise which was filed away as SARS subsided. I would imagine money was the determining factor. I read an article this morning where some bod was blaming successive governments for not investing in the Pharma industry, some good points were made, but it is always easy to be wise after the event.

The government's lack of investment 'to blame for slow vaccine roll-out' | Daily Mail Online

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing,that's very true,but let's hope that they start with some major investment where it's needed most.I would assume they have plans in the pipeline already.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I'm sure you and your colleagues are stretched to breaking point and that is appreciated greatly, but couldn't you just review that list. As a person who wrote quality manuals and procedures I can suggest.

9. Fire Safety, Level 1.( Leave extinguishers to level 2.)🤣

7 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I have just completed my e learning from the usual place for the AZ vaccine  today incase it's delivered this week!!!

I have never given an injection in my life, but I'll have a go if it helps.

5 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I agree I was a Project Manager for 10 years, they seem incapable of managing anything. I heard yesterday that a friends son who is in the forces has been moved to a new base to help manage the logistics of vaccine distribution and setting up of centres, he is quite a senior officer and to take him away from his current role is a significant step. 

That’s encouraging in a way because I think we could do with the army to help with this. Perhaps they could help the police too with people breaking the lockdown!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

The "old" way was

See one

Do one

Teach one!!!   .... You Teach  Zapp :classic_unsure:

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I have never given an injection in my life, but I'll have a go if it helps.

Right Zapp  ... You See One :classic_unsure:

Then I Do One   ....  & Fast !     :classic_ohmy:  ... 

tumblr_mj67djVOZ81r8swqdo1_500.gif.fdf7b07c192009909961a14e624f3f09.gif

• Like 1

As I’ve said elsewhere my parents in their 80’s haven’t had a vaccine yet. In my job I’ve talked to a few people who’ve had it (and live in the same town as my parents) I think it depends on who your GP is.

My brother in law is in Worthing and manages a care home - he hasn’t  heard a thing about when his residents, staff or himself can have one. They have only had three mild cases so far, they’ve done very well.