New vaccine

hollyjess

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Apparently it is produced in batches so perhaps they keep the batches in giant tubs in the fridge until 'bottling' time. 

According to this Vaccine arms race: How the competition for a Covid jab is heating up | Evening Standard there were only 200 million vials available in the world when the article was written.

also the wrong sort of sand and a shortage of sharks livers, honest, I presume they have a good supply of legs of newt or is it eyes, plenty of these as well 🦇

Eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog, adders fork and blind worms sting, lizards leg and owlets wing etc.

I hated English Literature, but quite took to that bit. 🙂

🙂

I wonder how that recipe would have stood up against covid?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thank you Selbourne, seeing ambulances queuing up outside my local hospital made my mind up quickly!

I’ve heard from people who’ve already had it that it’s well organised and you have to stay for 15 minutes afterwards  to make sure you don’t have an allergic reaction.

Was on the phone earlier today to a friend whose living room is opposite our local hospital's ambulance bay.  She said the ambulances are just constant.  She works for the hospital as well, over 500 covid patients across the 3 hospitals that make up our Trust.  Our hospital is pretty much full.

Don't feel embarrassed about having the opportunity to get your job.  You wouldn't have been offered it if you a priority.  Thank you for the work you do.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The only good news that I have had is that because I am a registered carer for my disabled wife, I move up from group 8 to group 6,

Hi Selbourne, hope you are both keeping well.

My wife is my registered carer so does that mean she will also move into the same group

as me due to my conditions ?

I was not aware of this but I hope so :classic_smile:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tring said:

Eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog, adders fork and blind worms sting, lizards leg and owlets wing etc.

I wonder how that recipe would have stood up against covid?

Some of the ingredients are thought to have caused it.🥴

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I have some exciting news although I feel a bit embarrassed. I’ve been able to book a Covid vaccine as I work for the NHS. I really feel my parents should get it first but I’ve been offered it because of my heart condition. It’s 50 minutes away so I’ve deliberated about it but have decided I will have it although it’s a bit of a rush to get there - I’ve booked it for next Wednesday.

IMO all people facing NHS staff should come before any other vulnerable people.  A friend's daughter has said how their job is so much worse because of staff off ill and giving a jab is an easy way to rectify that.  All NHS staff are sorely needed at present, no matter what their role.

The elderly and otherwise vulnerable can just hole up for longer, which they can easily do.

Edited by tring
  • Like 8

41 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Getting people to have it in risk order was never going to be perfect, but I look at the bigger picture.

Every person who has the jab is one less person who is at risk, one less person who is likely to spread the virus, one step closer to us all being safer. So you might not feel like you deserve it so soon, but by having it you are helping everyone out a bit

Don't want to sound a negative note but according to Jonathan Van-Tam at yesterday's briefing, we are not yet in a position to claim that those who have been vaccinated are not able to transmit the virus if they become infected - even though they themselves are not badly affected by it due to the inoculation. He said that they are currently working on nailing down that specific question ie can you still carry and transmit the virus after being inoculated.

The main message he wanted to stress was that the vaccines would limit, if not eradicate, the incidence of severe health effects on those vaccinated and thus reduce the pressures on the NHS.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Getting people to have it in risk order was never going to be perfect, but I look at the bigger picture.

Every person who has the jab is one less person who is at risk, one less person who is likely to spread the virus, one step closer to us all being safer. So you might not feel like you deserve it so soon, but by having it you are helping everyone out a bit

I originally though the same as you, but sadly the science doesn’t seem to support that view. The vaccine doesn’t stop you getting covid, it stops you from being seriously ill if you do. Also, those who are vaccinated can still pass it on to the rest of us. So until we are all vaccinated the risk remains very high.

26 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Don't want to sound a negative note but according to Jonathan Van-Tam at yesterday's briefing, we are not yet in a position to claim that those who have been vaccinated are not able to transmit the virus if they become infected - even though they themselves are not badly affected by it due to the inoculation. He said that they are currently working on nailing down that specific question ie can you still carry and transmit the virus after being inoculated.

The main message he wanted to stress was that the vaccines would limit, if not eradicate, the incidence of severe health effects on those vaccinated and thus reduce the pressures on the NHS.

If you have the jab, one less person to get Covid symptoms. That's a positive isn't it ?🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Hi Selbourne, hope you are both keeping well.

My wife is my registered carer so does that mean she will also move into the same group

as me due to my conditions ?

I was not aware of this but I hope so :classic_smile:

Hi Kalos. My sister stumbled across it in the official recommendations that went to the body that plans the vaccine roll out. There were a number of groups that would fall into group 6, if they hadn’t already been covered by groups 1 to 5. The two I specifically remember were registered carers and people with a BMI over 40 (morbidly obese). Whilst I am overweight, I don’t fall into the latter category, but do the former! Hopefully it was agreed but I have no concrete info unfortunately. Hope this doesn’t build up hopes only to be dashed. 

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If you have the jab, one less person to get Covid symptoms. That's a positive isn't it ?🤔

Yes it sure is, given that those vaccinated will be those most at risk of death from the virus, but I think we all thought and hoped that every person vaccinated would be one less person able to spread the virus and, in turn, that would expose the rest of us to less risk. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to be the case. I guess we can hope that those vaccinated will carry a lower viral load and therefore the spread will slow, but I don’t think they know that for sure yet. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Hi Kalos. My sister stumbled across it in the official recommendations that went to the body that plans the vaccine roll out. There were a number of groups that would fall into group 6, if they hadn’t already been covered by groups 1 to 5. The two I specifically remember were registered carers and people with a BMI over 40 (morbidly obese). Whilst I am overweight, I don’t fall into the latter category, but do the former! Hopefully it was agreed but I have no concrete info unfortunately. Hope this doesn’t build up hopes only to be dashed. 

Thanks for that Selbourne . In between your reply Mrs K found out that I or should I now say we will fall into cat 5. Will post below for you and others to see  Chapter 14a - 8 and link to the 

website . I hope you and others find it helpful , many thanks for your help :classic_smile:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/948757/Greenbook_chapter_14a_v4.pdf

Table 2 – Priority groups for vaccination advised by the Joint Committee on Vaccination
and Immunisation
Priority group Risk group

1 Residents in a care home for older adults
Staff working in care homes for older adults
2 All those 80 years of age and over
Frontline Health and social care workers
3 All those 75 years of age and over
4 All those 70 years of age and over
Clinically extremely vulnerable individuals (not including pregnant women and
those under 16 years of age)
5 All those 65 years of age and over
6 Adults aged 16 to 65 years in an at-risk group (Table 3)
7 All those 60 years of age and over
8 All those 55 years of age and over
9 All those 50 years of age and over
Chapter 14a - 8

Chapter 14a - COVID-19 - SARS-CoV-2 December 2020
Adult carers Those who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill.

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

Had cause to ring my GP Surgery today as my repeat prescription had not reached the pharmacist, even though when I logged on to my account it said it had been sent. There was a long message when I rang the usual Covid Message & don’t visit practice without an appointment, but now added don’t call practice about vaccine, as we are developing a list of patients who will be offered the vaccine and we will call you with you appointment. Seems they are getting geared up for the vaccine looks like they are using same process as the flu vaccine this year which was very efficient. I am in group 5 possibly group 4 depending on definition of heart condition.

Also heard from my cousin who lives in Spain today, vaccine rollout has started there this week, the Spanish Army are due to deliver vaccine to Balearics where he and his wife live in next few days. He said the expectation is that the Moderna vaccine will be approved next week by the EU.

We also heard from some friends in France who we had not heard from for a while so we’re worried, but they are all safe and now both have French Citizenship, given they have lived in France for 30 years was no great surprise they went down that route to safeguard their residency and business. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2

Sue, that’s great news.

Please don't feel embarrassed - you're an NHS worker with the added worry of a heart condition. You deserve this protection and I'm sure everyone you know will be happy you're getting this opportunity. 

Best wishes

Jane

• Like 8

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Thanks all again, I’ve just spoken to a friend who is a receptionist at the hospital. She’s getting the vaccine on Monday - she said she’ll let me know if her head falls off Tuesday 😱😂

Not wishing to be a spoilsport Sue, not me. If her head falls off on Tuesday, how can she let you know?🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Thanks for that Selbourne . In between your reply Mrs K found out that I or should I now say we will fall into cat 5. Will post below for you and others to see  Chapter 14a - 8 and link to the 

website . I hope you and others find it helpful , many thanks for your help :classic_smile:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/948757/Greenbook_chapter_14a_v4.pdf

Table 2 – Priority groups for vaccination advised by the Joint Committee on Vaccination
and Immunisation
Priority group Risk group

1 Residents in a care home for older adults
Staff working in care homes for older adults
2 All those 80 years of age and over
Frontline Health and social care workers
3 All those 75 years of age and over
4 All those 70 years of age and over
Clinically extremely vulnerable individuals (not including pregnant women and
those under 16 years of age)
5 All those 65 years of age and over
6 Adults aged 16 to 65 years in an at-risk group (Table 3)
7 All those 60 years of age and over
8 All those 55 years of age and over
9 All those 50 years of age and over
Chapter 14a - 8

Chapter 14a - COVID-19 - SARS-CoV-2 December 2020
Adult carers Those who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill.

Yes, that’s the same document my sister found. As a carer I move to 6, whereas on age I would be 8. Every little helps, as they say.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I originally though the same as you, but sadly the science doesn’t seem to support that view. The vaccine doesn’t stop you getting covid, it stops you from being seriously ill if you do. Also, those who are vaccinated can still pass it on to the rest of us. So until we are all vaccinated the risk remains very high.

I do take you point.

Interestingly, now this is where the UK and US press seem to be taking different angles in what they report.

In US reporting, the science seems to suggest that it may reduce transmission however there is not the definite data that it does. In the UK we seem to be taking the, if not 100% assume not approach.

A US article I read ages ago suggested that we would take this approach even if we had data supporting reducing transmission. A number of reasons a) The vaccine is not 100% effective so you don't want people assuming that once vaccinated they are safe, before the virus reduces; b) You don't want the vaccinated population walking around without masks as the other, unvaccinated, population will follow suit and then you risk the virus spiking again before the vaccination program is finished; and c) those to be vaccinated first are the most at risk of dying, not those who transmit the most* so the transmission benefit will be late in the program.

*Those most likely to transmit are of working age whereas those most at risk are elderly.

All that said, whether through fact or desired narrative, I will be supporting what JVT said and assuming that transmission is still likely.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I do take you point.

Interestingly, now this is where the UK and US press seem to be taking different angles in what they report.

In US reporting, the science seems to suggest that it may reduce transmission however there is not the definite data that it does. In the UK we seem to be taking the, if not 100% assume not approach.

A US article I read ages ago suggested that we would take this approach even if we had data supporting reducing transmission. A number of reasons a) The vaccine is not 100% effective so you don't want people assuming that once vaccinated they are safe, before the virus reduces; b) You don't want the vaccinated population walking around without masks as the other, unvaccinated, population will follow suit and then you risk the virus spiking again before the vaccination program is finished; and c) those to be vaccinated first are the most at risk of dying, not those who transmit the most* so the transmission benefit will be late in the program.

*Those most likely to transmit are of working age whereas those most at risk are elderly.

All that said, whether through fact or desired narrative, I will be supporting what JVT said and assuming that transmission is still likely.

Thanks. That’s interesting. Common sense says that the more people vaccinated the lower the risk to those that aren’t but, as we know, our scientists aren’t saying this. One thing is for certain though. I will always listen to British scientists over their US equivalents. Ours are completely independent whereas across the pond even their judiciary is politically biased and given the way that they have(n’t) handled the pandemic it’s the last place I will be taking advice from!

5 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I have some exciting news although I feel a bit embarrassed. I’ve been able to book a Covid vaccine as I work for the NHS. I really feel my parents should get it first but I’ve been offered it because of my heart condition. It’s 50 minutes away so I’ve deliberated about it but have decided I will have it although it’s a bit of a rush to get there - I’ve booked it for next Wednesday.

That’s great news, no need to feel embarrassed at all!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Beckett said:

Sue, that’s great news.

Please don't feel embarrassed - you're an NHS worker with the added worry of a heart condition. You deserve this protection and I'm sure everyone you know will be happy you're getting this opportunity. 

Best wishes

Jane

6 hours ago, SarahHben said:

That’s great news, no need to feel embarrassed at all!

Thank you for your kind words.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

No need to feel embarrassed at all. I'm pleased for you.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I think all of us will celebrate each time one of the P&O forum posters gets the jab.
No need to feel embarrassed at all.

Gill x

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Selbourne said:

It has been said there may be some transmission, yes, but not that people vaccinated WILL be able to transmit it - that is what needs to be accertained and has not been proved either way.

Also as I understand it, he Astro Zeneca trial was testing people who were in the trial, so their figures would appear to be the percentage who did not contract the disease, (even on a non symptomatic basis), compared to those in the control group who contracted it.  Pfizer, by comparison, seems to have only tested those who developed covid symptoms, which is a very different thing.

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

It is also interesting that the Pfizer vaccine is built from mRNA and so is Moderna, but the AstraZ one is something to do with T Cells.  An entirely different approach.  I've given up with the Omni Calculator as it is still giving me a jab (73) before my husband who is 82.  Something wrong there.  Neither of us have any conditions.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I've given up with the Omni Calculator as it is still giving me a jab (73) before my husband who is 82.  Something wrong there.  Neither of us have any conditions.

Ours is  showing the same. I've decided just to wait for the call.

Avril