New vaccine

hollyjess

9 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Half the problem is what is true and what isn't, an NHS worker we know says that her local hospital has covid patients but is less busy than usual for time of year, yet the local news and other media says it is bursting at the seams with covid patients. Government says the vaccine issues are caused by the pharma companies, they say not. Some teachers say it is safe for kids to go back some say not. The media puts out whatever they want and spins it to suit their own needs The truth may be somewhere in between, however once someone lies to you you are reluctant to believe them in the future. Plus this issue is very emotive.

I have heard similar stories which don't match the media hype.

The media is often driven by big headlines which don't match the reality when you look deeper.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

When infections increase in Yorkshire (they will, when the new variant gets a grip), and the amount of people needing hospitalisation increases, where will they go if beds are being used by people from other parts of the country? 

We have months to go before the vaccination programme will make a real difference, and the infections are increasing rapidly now. Sadly, it's not enough to be patient - the NHS is on the brink now and infections are increasing now. This is an immediate problem.  

By mid february most people over 65 should have been vaccinated, this will greatly reduce the pressure on hospitalization cases.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

By mid february most people over 65 should have been vaccinated, this will greatly reduce the pressure on hospitalization cases.

Maybe they should but I bet they aren't. Not being negative just realistic.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Were I a betting woman, I'd put money on it that I won't be, and I'm in that group. That's only another 6 weeks!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

According to this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55332242

I am in the 65-69 age group which with the higher priority groups totals 17.3 million

They will really have to ramp up the vaccination rate and even more after 12 weeks when the second doses are due

Not sure where you get your figures from but the official number of over 65s in the UK is just under 12 million, data from several Google sites.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Not sure where you get your figures from but the official number of over 65s in the UK is just under 12 million, data from several Google sites.

Then, as Dave says, there are the high priority groups.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Then, as Dave says, there are the high priority groups.

But there only 1.4 million employees in the entire NHS, and I can't believe there are more than a few hundred thousand of vulnerable under 65s, maybe far less.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

But there only 1.4 million employees in the entire NHS, and I can't believe there are more than a few hundred thousand of under vulnerable under 65s.

A million so far and the Oxford vaccine starts on Monday. 2 million jabs a week. All over by Easter.

48 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Should I be worried that the HMG COVID Dashboard has not updated the hospital admissions since the 22 December

If you scroll down to the local section and put in your postcode it gives local hospital info up to 27th December.

Daily summary | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk)

33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

How many people per week will need to be vaccinated in the next 6 weeks to achieve that figure?  Have we definitely got all the vaccines available to achieve this? 

(I’m assuming this is only one dose, and not the two needed to be fully protected) 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

How many people per week will need to be vaccinated in the next 6 weeks to achieve that figure?  Have we definitely got all the vaccines available to achieve this? 

(I’m assuming this is only one dose, and not the two needed to be fully protected) 

Don't forget that a third if folks won't have it. I seem to recall you saying you wouldn't have an untried vaccine. Forgive me if you didn't say that🤔

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Don't forget that a third if folks won't have it. I seem to recall you saying you wouldn't have an untried vaccine. Forgive me if you didn't say that🤔

I have never said that.

I will have the vaccine as soon as as it is available to me.

I am not expecting this to happen until the summer 

• Like 3

Lots of positive posts I'm pleased to see. I am a glass half full person, but I doubt all over 65's will be vaccinated by mid Feb. My sister, who is 95 has not got an appointment yet. When her son tried to enquire at GPs, he was curtly told she will hear in due course. I am 74, so maybe by end of Feb.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I have never said that.

I will have the vaccine as soon as as it is available to me.

I am not expecting this to happen until the summer 

You said this in September on another thread, but folks views change.

I’m sure that any vaccination would be certified as safe before it was released for general use..... but as it is so new, I don’t intend to be in the vanguard of people who are vaccinated. I’d rather sit back and see what happens first. Not that I’d be given much of a priority anyway. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Lots of positive posts I'm pleased to see. I am a glass half full person, but I doubt all over 65's will be vaccinated by mid Feb. My sister, who is 95 has not got an appointment yet. When her son tried to enquire at GPs, he was curtly told she will hear in due course. I am 74, so maybe by end of Feb.

Nice attitude. I'm sure jabbing will speed up once the system with the Oxford vaccine actually starts. Or course all speculation and guesswork at the moment. Nobody knows.

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You said this in September on another thread, but folks views change.

I’m sure that any vaccination would be certified as safe before it was released for general use..... but as it is so new, I don’t intend to be in the vanguard of people who are vaccinated. I’d rather sit back and see what happens first. Not that I’d be given much of a priority anyway. 

And?
the vaccine has been certified as safe for use. 
I have no intention of of being in the vanguard. My need is less than other people’s.

If we are playing the game of searching out previous posts  and commenting on them, many of your posts haven’t aged well, so I don’t think you  really want to go down that route. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

John I sincerely hope that you are right, but fear that you are way out. To get far enough down the priority list to include all those over 65 means around 17m people need vaccinating. Let’s say they quadruple  the current vaccination rate and jab 1m this coming week, on top of the 1m done in the first month, that still leaves 15m to be done by mid Feb. That’s over 3m a week, or 12 times the current rate, to meet your mid Feb date. I suspect that, at best, it will be half that and of course that assumes continuous large scale supplies, which seem not to be guaranteed. I’d love to share the optimism that you and others have, but just some very simple arithmetic says that this is all going to take a lot longer than many people think. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I am over 65 but I will be surprised if I have my vaccination before my birthday which is 31st March.

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

John I sincerely hope that you are right, but fear that you are way out. To get far enough down the priority list to include all those over 65 means around 17m people need vaccinating. Let’s say they quadruple  the current vaccination rate and jab 1m this coming week, on top of the 1m done in the first month, that still leaves 15m to be done by mid Feb. That’s over 3m a week, or 12 times the current rate, to meet your mid Feb date. I suspect that, at best, it will be half that and of course that assumes continuous large scale supplies, which seem not to be guaranteed. I’d love to share the optimism that you and others have, but just some very simple arithmetic says that this is all going to take a lot longer than many people think. 

17m less the third who say they won't have it leaves 12m. At 2 million a week. My simple arithmetic must be too simple. But we don't know do we?, we are guessing. As the programme with the Oxford jab dont start till Monday, isn't it fair to give people a chance .?

Edited by zap99