New vaccine

hollyjess

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Quite. On the news a few weeks ago on BBC news they interviewed on the street an elderly BAME lady who said that she wouldn't have the jab as God will protect her. See went on to say I have never had a disease because God has always looked after me!! Another said that they wouldn't have it because there is a chip in it, when the interviewer asked how he knew that he said that he had read it on Instagram.

I remember that interview. There was a young woman as well who said that her family would alright because they were using natural remedies such as ginger, coriander and garlic. Each to their own.

Avril

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I remember that interview. There was a young woman as well who said that her family would alright because they were using natural remedies such as ginger, coriander and garlic. Each to their own.

Avril

I guess if you eat enough garlic nobody will come near you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

By mid february most people over 65 should have been vaccinated, this will greatly reduce the pressure on hospitalization cases.

If only.  To achieve that we'd need to ramp up the current vaccination rate by a factor of 12 to 3m a week. And as things currently stand large parts of the country still have no vaccination centres, or staff to run them. Promise after promise after promise  - and every one like pie crust.

This is a critical situation for the NHS and the country. We've known about the vaccines and what needs to be done for some time. We've even bought millions of doses  -  but where is the planning and why is so little actually happening?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, batholiver said:

If only.  To achieve that we'd need to ramp up the current vaccination rate by a factor of 12 to 3m a week. And as things currently stand large parts of the country still have no vaccination centres, or staff to run them. Promise after promise after promise  - and every one like pie crust.

This is a critical situation for the NHS and the country. We've known about the vaccines and what needs to be done for some time. We've even bought millions of doses  -  but where is the planning and why is so little actually happening?

If the UK are so bad any thoughts why we have Jabbed 2.5 times more than the whole of the EU?. France have done 432 people, Holland start on 8 January. EU haven't even approved the AZ,Oxford vaccine yet. Approval was only given by UK a few days ago. There is a ' ramping up' over the next 2 Weeks with AZ saying 2m a week. 17m to jab 1m already then 2m a week. An ambitious programme, but I can't find any targets for pie crusts, whatever that means.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If the UK are so bad any thoughts why we have Jabbed 2.5 times more than the whole of the EU?. France have done 432 people, Holland start on 8 January. EU haven't even approved the AZ,Oxford vaccine yet. Approval was only given by UK a few days ago. There is a ' ramping up' over the next 2 Weeks with AZ saying 2m a week. 17m to jab 1m already then 2m a week. An ambitious programme, but I can't find any targets for pie crusts, whatever that means.

You must stop reading the Fail on Sunday!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You must stop reading the Fail on Sunday!

Didn't read it today. It is on the BEEB and Sky News webpages right now, this very minute. The BBC would make things up?, would they. There is a tracking website which shows the UK to have the 3rd highest rate of vaccinations in the whole of the World. That is good news isn't it. The experts will get us out of this mess, not guesswork and speculation ,

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I can’t give you the breakdown of the remaining 1.1m John, but there are a hell of a lot of front line health care workers who are not employed by the NHS. Paid care staff and hospice staff to name just two enormous groups. 

Only a small proportion of all NHS staff will be front line workers, so the balance is much higher than 1.1m.

2 hours ago, batholiver said:

Just checked the govt figures and all the groups down to the over 65s only total 15.2m, so with 1m already vaccinated and AZ promising 2m doses a week, that will be 7 weeks which is just past mid February to complete them, I rest my case m'lud. And that's not allowing for any fresh supplies of the Biontech vaccine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Just checked the govt figures and all the groups down to the over 65s only total 15.2m, so with 1m already vaccinated and AZ promising 2m doses a week, that will be 7 weeks which is just past mid February to complete them, I rest my case m'lud. And that's not allowing for any fresh supplies of the Biontech vaccine.

I’ll start by saying that most sane people would be delighted if you are correct about that. I’m sure we will all be happy if they crack on with the vaccines.

The NHS have however allegedly refused to commit to 2 million a week however. Check out the press pages for tomorrow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think you need to look more at the facts, and less at politicians' promises - most of which have come to nothing, like the number of tests promised, the world beating track and trace system, the 'all over by Christmas' message and the 'millions' of vaccinations by 31/12/20!

It may well be that 2m doses a week can be delivered by the drug companies, but (rather like the testing kits which were counted as tests completed when they were put in the post, to try to achieve an overambitious target - remember that?) delivery of a dose is not a vaccination.

The NHS has made it perfectly clear that they simply cannot deliver 2m vaccinations a week. It's been run down for the last ten years, it's lost tens of thousands of doctors and nurses as a result, it's in the midst of a major pandemic, so that's no great surprise.

Maybe Gavin Williamson will ask the teachers to do it in their spare time?

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

She is one of the posters on here, she hasn’t been on for a wee while.

Hopefully she is well.

Usually you will get an email and/ or notification when your name is mentioned.

@vampiress we are all thinking of you,hope you are well.

Graham.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Only a small proportion of all NHS staff will be front line workers, so the balance is much higher than 1.1m.

With the greatest respect John, you are quibbling over the facts because they undermine your claim that over 65’s will be vaccinated by mid Feb, which is just 5 or 6 weeks away. The care sector alone employs 1.6m people. That’s 200,000 more then the NHS. 

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/time-think-differently/trends-workforce-overview

I can’t find the staff numbers for hospices but there are 155 adult hospices in the UK and the vast majority are charities and the staff are not employed by the NHS. I have no idea what proportion of each component part of the one group that you are questioning constitute front line workers, but clearly only a proportion of them have been included in the numbers. 

The figures appear to be robust, whereas nothing we have seen so far would support your claim that over 65’s will be vaccinated by mid Feb. As I have repeatedly said, I hope that you are right, but I just don’t see 3m vaccinations every week, starting today, which is what is needed to achieve what you feel is going to happen. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’ll start by saying that most sane people would be delighted if you are correct about that. I’m sure we will all be happy if they crack on with the vaccines.

The NHS have however allegedly refused to commit to 2 million a week however. Check out the press pages for tomorrow.

It is on the Telegraph front page this morning. Other news includes reports they are considering reintroducing shielding, maybe including those aged 70 or over.. Meanwhile the vaccine manufacturers say they are delivering the vaccine according to the agreed orders. Maybe the problem is the agreed orders are not enough to deal with the new variant threat and the manufacturers are have already promised their additional capacity to everyone else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

It is on the Telegraph front page this morning. Other news includes reports they are considering reintroducing shielding, maybe including those aged 70 or over.. Meanwhile the vaccine manufacturers say they are delivering the vaccine according to the agreed orders. Maybe the problem is the agreed orders are not enough to deal with the new variant threat and the manufacturers are have already promised their additional capacity to everyone else.

You could be right, everyone wants the vaccine, lots of countries have ordered millions of doses which will far outstrip supply. We hear that we have ordered 50 million of this vaccine and 20 million of another, for all we know the contract could be for say 50 million by Dec 2021, who really knows and are they likely to let us in on the secret?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I haven’t read that article Dave, but does it specify precisely what the ‘agreed orders’ are and by when? I keep hearing that same comment, from vaccinate manufacturers and politicians, but no figures with it. The only firm figure I have heard is that 530k of the Oxford vaccine is being delivered for this week. Matt Hancock said that the next batch wouldn’t be until early Feb, but I believe that was later corrected. On the few rare occasions I have seen where the media has tried to press politicians or vaccine companies on precise numbers of vaccines and dates, they have steadfastly refused to answer. I can’t help but wonder why?

I think we, the public, need to wait till the end of this week when we will have a better idea of where things stand now and possibly how things might progress in the short to medium term.

As I’ve said before, I think the hiatus caused by Xmas/New Year has been particularly unfortunate this year (and I stress,again, that I know a lot of people have put in extraordinary hours and effort throughout this crisis)

Just one more point, which doesn’t need an answer - Do we still have a Parliament?  It feels a little absent

• Like 5

I'm surprised that there is not more stock of the Oxford / AZ already manufactured and ready to go. The Government have been backing it for many months and announced orders in early autumn or even late summer, even if they had many 10s million ready to go and approval wasn't granted, the cost of doses that couldn't be used would be minimal at £3 a dose in the scheme of the 100s billions the pandemic has cost the country. In the event it has been approved so the lack of build up of stock seems a mistake, especially as the shelf life is at least 6 months in a fridge apparently.

The only factors which I can see are the reluctance of AZ to invest in mass production until it had neared approval or the physical mass storage of the vaccine.

2 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I'm surprised that there is not more stock of the Oxford / AZ already manufactured and ready to go. The Government have been backing it for many months and announced orders in early autumn or even late summer, even if they had many 10s million ready to go and approval wasn't granted, the cost of doses that couldn't be used would be minimal at £3 a dose in the scheme of the 100s billions the pandemic has cost the country. In the event it has been approved so the lack of build up of stock seems a mistake, especially as the shelf life is at least 6 months in a fridge apparently.

The only factors which I can see are the reluctance of AZ to invest in mass production until it had neared approval or the physical mass storage of the vaccine.

You have hit the nail on the head. Orders are one thing and we certainly have those. Physical supplies in the hands of the NHS are another thing altogether, and we only have a minuscule proportion of what we need with nobody - politicians or vaccine companies alike - prepared to tell us precisely how many will be delivered and when. Wishful thinking and optimism won’t get us vaccinated!

9 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Agreed, the target is ambitious , but targets and ambitions should be. The clue is in the name.Not you of course as I know you are a positive person, but how do You think all those involved in this process feel  when people who are not involved and know nowt are continuously running them down and telling them ,as one of your Countrymen would say " we are all doomed ". I would prefer to tell them, you can so it folks, well done so far and thank you.   Ramp it up Guys 🤣

• Like 1

My friend works in a group of GPs practices and they are starting vaccinations from 7th January. She has been working very long hours from 27th December to help get this all set up.

I think the best we can hope for is for vaccinations to increase on a week on week basis.

I can’t really believe that anybody genuinely thinks we’ll do 2 million this week. 

on a different note, shouldn’t there at least be a Cobra meeting today, what with the infections graph showing a vertical line for increases. Or is there going to be another few days of dithering 

• Like 6