New vaccine

hollyjess

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Just though.

Lots of parents in the 60s avoided their children having certain antibiotics when young as some of them discoloured newly formed adult teeth. I don’t think penicillin was one of them actually but people got spooked about antibiotics anyway.

Even in the days before social media these stories made the rounds when someone saw someone else’s child with yellow teeth. The colour could be quite marked so scary for other parents to see.

Interesting, but definitely wasn’t a parental thing in our case, as we had all the jabs etc going. My Mum was told it by our family GP. I’ve no idea whether they could do allergy tests back then or maybe they didn’t bother with young kids and just made the assumption to play safe?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting, but definitely wasn’t a parental thing in our case, as we had all the jabs etc going. My Mum was told it by our family GP. I’ve no idea whether they could do allergy tests back then or maybe they didn’t bother with young kids and just made the assumption to play safe?

That should have started with “just a thought”. 

An assumption to play safe if probably the case as you say.

30 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And that large money box in the cupboard under the stairs with pipes and wires coming out of it - the one where you put your money in and turned the key thing to drop the coin in. 

I never did manage to get it open when I wanted my pocket money out.

I used the plastic football coins I would get with Shoot magazine... 

Norman Hunter was particularly profitable... 

Andy 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I seem to remember having a rash on my hand after taking penicillin as a 4 year old and the doctor saying I was allergic to penicillin.

Edited by grapau27

15 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

I am allergic to penicillin but have no problems with the yearly flu jab or other medication.

I am allergic as well so grateful that you have posted this as I head for my first ever flu jab next week 👍

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I used the plastic football coins I would get with Shoot magazine... 

Norman Hunter was particularly profitable... 

Andy 

Good old Norman, my joint favourite player (alongside Peter Lorimer) when I was a kid. RIP. 

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1

I should clarify my 'allergy' position,  I think.  Just in case this info. is of any use to others.  I am/was allergic to penicillin - not anaphylaxis (if that is the word), but a purple rash all over for a month, which came up straight away, and feeling ill for about a month. It is I know possible that this may have gone, as I was only about 25 when I had it.  The flu vaccine just made me very fluey, the following day, needing to stay in bed with a temperature for several days and a cough for two weeks.  So probably should not be called an allergy, but certainly a bad reaction, and I have not had one,  or the flu,  since.  Various foods made me very sick, all night long, and in some cases with a very swollen face which was apparently dangerous, as it can constrict your throat, and I was able to have very quick treatment.

I am hoping that one of the new vaccines, if they are approved, will be suitable for those of us with this problem.   And I should really have the test to see if the penicillin one has now gone, as some of you have done, sensibly.

• Like 1

Things are starting to happen here in Medway after the panic of Medway Maritime hospital not being included in the vaccination hub list. It is now and the problem seems to have been a delay with the refrigeration equipment.

I was just talking to my elderly neighbour, at a distance, and she just got a text from her surgery asking here to book a slot for her jab at the local health centre, friends of hers have already got their appointments for next week. She is over 80 and a bit unsure but I said go, have it, and bring a spare one home for me 😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I was just talking to my elderly neighbour, at a distance, and she just got a text from her surgery asking here to book a slot for her jab at the local health centre, friends of hers have already got their appointments for next week. She is over 80 and a bit unsure but I said go, have it, and bring a spare one home for me 😁

Pop your frock on, Dave, and go in her place.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I am allergic to a couple of antibiotics, ciprofloxacin and metrodiazonale.  Flu jab doesn't affect me at all.  No symptoms.  I think the people who have severe reactions, like anaphalysis (sp) after eggs, nuts, etc.  should not have the vaccine.  But they would know who they are.  They would carry an epi pen.

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am allergic to a couple of antibiotics, ciprofloxacin and metrodiazonale.  Flu jab doesn't affect me at all.  No symptoms.  I think the people who have severe reactions, like anaphalysis (sp) after eggs, nuts, etc.  should not have the vaccine.  But they would know who they are.  They would carry an epi pen.

That is what was reported when the mild reactions were reported a couple of days ago.  Basically it was said that people who are advised against having the vaccine would normally carry an epi pen with them at all times.  Obviously worth mentioning and allergy problems, in fact I presume it will be a question asked before the vaccine is administered.

5 hours ago, tring said:

That is what was reported when the mild reactions were reported a couple of days ago.  Basically it was said that people who are advised against having the vaccine would normally carry an epi pen with them at all times.  Obviously worth mentioning and allergy problems, in fact I presume it will be a question asked before the vaccine is administered.

Yes, it is.   Something along the lines of whether the person about to be vaccinated has any allergies and / or shown a past severe reaction to any food stuffs, medication etc.   The Pfizer vaccine is also not suitable for anyone pregnant, possibly pregnant, planning to be pregnant in the three months following vaccination or currently breastfeeding.  There must also be at least 7 days from flu vaccination and not having had a positive CV19 test in the previous 28 days.

Whilst on here, I don't intend to gave a day by day account, but I have been completely well following vaccination, as have all my work colleagues.   .  

• Like 10

6 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Whilst on here, I don't intend to gave a day by day account, but I have been completely well following vaccination, as have all my work colleagues.   

That's very reassuring, and I  do believe that this vaccine is safe for the majority of people, but as with everything, there will always be the exception to the rule. Those will always be broadcast in the news, which although important to know  about shouldn't be trotted out as as the rule but the exception. I am 73, and Frank is 75 and we will  both go for our vaccination  with complete confidence. 

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 8

Just a note about allergies. I'm not a medical person whoever do notify the person administering the jab that you have allergies.

A relative of mine had the vaccine today. That are allergic to penicillin however they were told its only those who carry precautionary medicine/epi-pens etc that are declined, or if you have had a reaction to a recent jab - such as the annual flu jab.

Apparently both bad reactions were known to be high risk for reactions and were advised to monitor their condition accordingly.

This just shows that the UK's cautious system of vaccine delivery and post delivery monitoring does work.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And both can give you a bit of a headache.......or so a friend told me. 😇

Granddads nursing home used to give him two tablets at his bedtime .

Nurse said "They stopped him from rolling out of bed ! "  :classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
cannot post iagra with v
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

It is being widely reported the the Oxford vaccine will be approved as early as tomorrow, with roll out the week after. Efficacy similar to others, 90%, which will be wonderful news for the New Year. Easy to store and distribute and as cheap as a cup of coffee. Happy New Year.

• Like 8

It seems that the Pfizer vaccine is 91% effective after the first injection, with the second only improving the efficacy to 95%.

Tony Blair (awful man) suggested that it might be better to inoculate twice the number of people with just one injection, as the benefit would be much more immediate. For once in my life, I'm tending to agree with him.

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It seems that the Pfizer vaccine is 91% effective after the first injection, with the second only improving the efficacy to 95%.

Tony Blair (awful man) suggested that it might be better to inoculate twice the number of people with just one injection, as the benefit would be much more immediate. For once in my life, I'm tending to agree with him.

I’ve heard a number of medical experts say the same thing. They are saying that the 2nd jab doesn’t have to be 2 weeks after the first and it makes far more sense to get as many people jabbed once than half as many jabbed twice. 

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve heard a number of medical experts say the same thing. They are saying that the 2nd jab doesn’t have to be 2 weeks after the first and it makes faIwonder if Ir more sense to get as many people jabbed once than half as many jabbed twice. 

I wonder if the second dose makes the effectiveness of the vaccine last longer, if you understand what I mean. As it's a new virus in our body and a new vaccine to combat it, maybe we need a large dose given  by two spaced injections at first and then a regular top up each year. I might not be explaining it right but I hope you get the gist.

This is an interesting subject.

Avril