New vaccine

hollyjess

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's a difficult one to answer without annoying someone, but I'll try.

Most of the younger active working or non-working people have had infinitely much more freedom during the last 10 months than the seniors or the shielding. Frank 75 has been out once since March, to have his flu jab, and I've been out 3 times (73) There are some posters on here, you know who you are, that have been shielding for the whole 10 months and I think it's only right that they are allowed to have the vaccine asap. They and we need to live the remainder of our lives free, not closeted behind closed doors.

On a personal note, over this last 10 months, I have gone from being a happy optimist into a miserable old woman who can see no future. I cry every day and I have no interest in anything anymore, and I know I'm not the only one.I put on a happy front, but inside I'm falling apart.

So to some waiting another couple of months for the vaccine might not seem a long time, but to me and many others, it's a lifetime.

Avril

Oh Avril. You are not alone and we all have times where we cannot imagine having happy times again. But they are coming - we may just have to wait a little longer.......😘

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Most of the younger active working or non-working people have had infinitely much more freedom during the last 10 months than the seniors or the shielding. Frank 75 has been out once since March, to have his flu jab, and I've been out 3 times (73) There are some posters on here, you know who you are, that have been shielding for the whole 10 months and I think it's only right that they are allowed to have the vaccine asap. They and we need to live the remainder of our lives free, not closeted behind closed doors.

On a personal note, over this last 10 months, I have gone from being a happy optimist into a miserable old woman who can see no future. I cry every day and I have no interest in anything anymore, and I know I'm not the only one.I put on a happy front, but inside I'm falling apart.

So to some waiting another couple of months for the vaccine might not seem a long time, but to me and many others, it's a lifetime.

Avril

I really do feel for you Avril, I am lucky, I am 74, reasonably fit and active and can mentally survive the isolation and being confined. My wife is 62 but is struggling with not being able to do normal activities and missing holidays, we would be away for a month in February. I try and keep her going with the thought the vaccine is being administered and, hopefully by the time the better weather is here, the worst will be over. 

I am a glass half full person so I am trying to be positive and look forward to the summer, days out and a cruise in August.

Take care.

Edited by bobstheboy
Grammar
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

200k folk per day are being Jabbed, not a promise or an offer, but jabs in arms. The target of 2m will be achieved or exceeded, so said the Royal College of GP's a few minutes ago.  Like you, I will give these professionals my support, untill they don't achieve it. Doom and gloom won't achieve anything at all.

It’s got to be more than 2 million a week if the stated target of 15th February is to be achieved.

as I said earlier it’s the overpromising that gets me down.

i give the professionals my full support - but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to question overpromises from those in charge.

• Like 6

I don't think it's 200K per day being vaccinated?  According to the BBC last weeks figure was 333,000 vaccinations.

I just wish we didn't have these anti lockdown protestors and others having raves etc.  They obviously just don't believe they can get it and yet younger people are dying of this, not just oldies.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It’s got to be more than 2 million a week if the stated target of 15th February is to be achieved.

as I said earlier it’s the overpromising that gets me down.

i give the professionals my full support - but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to question overpromises from those in charge.

Can you not give them a chance. You wont know if the vaccination target is an overpromise just yet. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

200k folk per day are being Jabbed, not a promise or an offer, but jabs in arms. The target of 2m will be achieved or exceeded, so said the Royal College of GP's a few minutes ago.  Like you, I will give these professionals my support, untill they don't achieve it. Doom and gloom won't achieve anything at all.

Doom and gloom won't achieve anything and I think most people are doing the best they can. It must be very difficult for a lot of people who may not have seen their families or been away for many months to stay positive when all they may have is a TV or radio to keep them company. A lot of old people are very proud and feel that they need to get on with it, stiff upper lip and all that. Unfortunately they are the ones that depression and/or mental health issues will creep up on. 

• Like 7

Avril - and anyone else feeling low

Have you ever used a SAD lamp?  Simulates daylight during deepest darkest winter & does things to the brain to give a natural feeling of well being.

If I was being as weepy as you are (poor thing (((hug))) I’d give it a whirl at £30-40.

It can’t do you any harm - it might do you a power of good

It would be good for us here to get the old Avril back - there’s some knocking back into line necessary! 🙂

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Quite agree.  I feel all these people are doing their best.  The logistics of it must be a nightmare.  In the meantime, I try to keep busy.  Do one job each day.  this morning, did the ironing, changed the bed, put the washing in.  Then I put the vac round.  This afternoon I will walk the dog.  Husband is the same, he spent an hour easing the front door, then he chopped kindling for the fire and cleaned the car.  He gets his jab next week and it looks like late Feb for me, or let's say March.  Miserable?  No.  Bored, yes sometimes.  Fed up cos I can't go away for my birthday.  Yes.  I just feel better off than those who have lost their jobs,, can't pay the mortgage.

Well said,there are many out there that are a lot less fortunate than most,keep looking at the positives and there are plenty compared to spring last year.Here we are,5 0r 6 weeks away from a life saving jab,that's one hell of an achievement.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Can you not give them a chance. You wont know if the vaccination target is an overpromise just yet. 

It’s not me who’s expecting ting them to do 2 million a week - I didn’t set the target.

I’m happy for the total to increase each week, without the pressure of unrealistic targets 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I try and keep her going with the thought the vaccine is being administered and, hopefully by the time the better weather is here, the worst will be over.

Which is why I think they've got the vaccination groups in the correct order. It's the same with Frank, I'm trying to keep him upbeat about the whole thing as he's been on anti-depressants since his brother died of covid.

Avril

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Quite agree.

Surely we need to take into consideration that the first vaccine on the scene was the Pfizer vaccine, which needs very specific storage and handling. This alone will have caused the start of the vaccine programme to seem unco-ordinated, and I think it is a bit premature to criticise.

As the AstaZ vaccine starts distribution, things should start to flow more smoothly, but even then it is an impossible ask for anyone to state with accuracy when everybody will be offered the vaccine - and unless it becomes compulsory, "offered" is not an evasive tactic, just the correct word .

ADDED>

Though just to keep up with my doom&gloom persona - I still can't see cruises starting in April or May this year.

Edited by nosapphire
added
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Well said,there are many out there that are a lot less fortunate than most,keep looking at the positives and there are plenty compared to spring last year.Here we are,5 0r 6 weeks away from a life saving jab,that's one hell of an achievement.

When qualified and professional people are saying good things I will accept their positively and support them. They are doing it to the best of their ability. If their plan is falling short of their target, they will amendi it Forecasting their failure will not help them.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nosapphire said:

Quite agree.

Surely we need to take into consideration that the first vaccine on the scene was the Pfizer vaccine, which needs very specific storage and handling. This alone will have caused the start of the vaccine programme to seem unco-ordinated, and I think it is a bit premature to criticise.

As the AstaZ vaccine starts distribution, things should start to flow more smoothly, but even then it is an impossible ask for anyone to state with accuracy when everybody will be offered the vaccine - and unless it becomes compulsory, "offered" is not an evasive tactic, just the correct word .

Semantics and political point scoring aside “offered” however makes no difference to reducing the incidence of the virus or the pressure in the NHS. “Vaccinated” does.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I really do feel for you Avril, I am lucky, I am 74, reasonably fit and active and can mentally survive the isolation and being confined. My wife is 62 but is struggling with not being able to do normal activities and missing holidays, we would be away for a month in February. I try and keep her going with the thought the vaccine is being administered and, hopefully by the time the better weather is here, the worst will be over. 

I am a glass half full person so I am trying to be positive and look forward to the summer, days out and a cruise in August.

Take care.

One thing to bear in mind. You are 74 and are in group 4, and have been promised your 1st jab by 15th February.

Your wife is in group 7. By the time the other groups are vaccinated, and get their 2nd dose, it’s realistically going to be late spring into the summer before she gets her 1st dose.  So it’s a different situation for the slightly younger people who are still at risk - we know we still have quite a long wait. 

Also, as you mentioned this glass half full thing - how does your glass remain half full in the face of 60000 new infections a day, a 1000 deaths a day and the NHS in danger of falling over in the next week?  This is a genuine question, as I want to understand. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It’s not me who’s expecting ting them to do 2 million a week - I didn’t set the target.

I’m happy for the total to increase each week, without the pressure of unrealistic targets 

The professionals are saying it is not unrealistic and it will be achieved, or exceeded. I will accept their words. If they don't achieve it in a few weeks we will know if you are correct in your guess, or not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

The professionals are saying it is not unrealistic and it will be achieved, or exceeded. I will accept their words. If they don't achieve it in a few weeks we will know if you are correct in your guess, or not.

However, I remain more interested in total vaccinations increasing week on week - that will be a real achievement. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I can understand why you are feeling depressed Avril being trapped at home rather than having the freedoms of cruising and holidaying where and when we want and seeing your family.

I really hope you both can have a vaccine ASAP to be able to get out more and being able to see more of your family.

Graham.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

One thing to bear in mind. You are 74 and are in group 4, and have been promised your 1st jab by 15th February.

Your wife is in group 7. By the time the other groups are vaccinated, and get their 2nd dose, it’s realistically going to be late spring into the summer before she gets her 1st dose.  So it’s a different situation for the slightly younger people who are still at risk - we know we still have quite a long wait. 

Also, as you mentioned this glass half full thing - how does your glass remain half full in the face of 60000 new infections a day, a 1000 deaths a day and the NHS in danger of falling over in the next week?  This is a genuine question, as I want to understand. 

Fair points. My wife is a caring person who is more worried about me than herself, so once I have had the vaccine I know she will feel a lot better. Regarding the numbers, they are shocking and photos of crowds in London parks annoys me, but I have to believe numbers will improve in the weeks to come, it is no point worrying about things out of my control.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

However, I remain more interested in total vaccinations increasing week on week - that will be a real achievement. 

Yes it will and in a few weeks we can make an informed judgement.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Doom and gloom won't achieve anything and I think most people are doing the best they can. It must be very difficult for a lot of people who may not have seen their families or been away for many months to stay positive when all they may have is a TV or radio to keep them company. A lot of old people are very proud and feel that they need to get on with it, stiff upper lip and all that. Unfortunately they are the ones that depression and/or mental health issues will creep up on. 

I totally agree with this and do think there could be a case for badly affected people to contact their GP's.  Feel down is natural, but if it becomes what may be clinical depression then it needs medical attention and the NHS does still exist when needed.

Those in the later priority groups are by definition less vulnerable, so do not have to worry too much about not getting the jab in the next few weeks or to stop going out and about a bit, if only popping out locally to get some shopping.  No one was advised to shelter over the summer, so should have been some chance for all to get out then when numbers were extremely low.  We are over 70, but no other risk factors (other than my mild asthma which is not a major problem).  We would have ordered our shopping on line had we been able to get a slot in the first lockdown so had to go shopping ourselves.  TBH I am pleased about that as hiding at home would have had a much worse effect on us as it would have been very easy to become fearful about going out at all.  We have also been out for some meals in less risky times, but chosen a quiet time like mid afternoon to limit the risk further.  At present the numbers are very high, so sensible to be ultra careful, but hopefully numbers will get better in the not too distant future.

One thing I do feel is that the constant posts about how long it may possibly take for the vaccine to be rolled out are likely causing more worry for those who are becoming, perhaps a tad over anxious and are turning to these forums for some company.  As said by others we will have no idea how long it will take for the vaccine to be rolled out until we get there, though delivery is increasing at a very high rate at present, so I for one do not see the issue at all.

It is also very easy when at home so much to spend large periods of time watching the BBC 24 hour news and must admit we are guilty of that and it does become difficult not to find all the bad news depressing.  Just have to put something else on TV - perhaps a news free day from time to time - not something we would find easy though, must admit.

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Seriously, Avril, please don’t bottle it up. You don’t have to pretend on this forum. If you are feeling low, it is ok to say so, and don’t let anybody make you think that you are wrong to say how you feel.

I don't bottle it up, I usually have a good cry in the shower and feel much better for a while after. I'm not pretending, I'm just not mentioning it. We need to be as upbeat on here as much as we can to help others. There are many much worse than I who manage to keep cheery, kalos for one. It was only answering Lincslady's post that caught me off guard. Normal service will be resumed immediately😊

Avril

• Like 12

1 minute ago, tring said:

I totally agree with this and do think there could be a case for badly affected people to contact their GP's.  Feel down is natural, but if it becomes what may be clinical depression then it needs medical attention and the NHS does still exist when needed.

Those in the later priority groups are by definition less vulnerable, so do not have to worry too much about not getting the jab in the next few weeks or to stop going out and about a bit, if only popping out locally to get some shopping.  No one was advised to shelter over the summer, so should have been some chance for all to get out then when numbers were extremely low.  We are over 70, but no other risk factors (other than my mild asthma which is not a major problem).  We would have ordered our shopping on line had we been able to get a slot in the first lockdown so had to go shopping ourselves.  TBH I am pleased about that as hiding at home would have had a much worse effect on us as it would have been very easy to fearful about going out at all.  We have also been out for meals in less risky times, but chosen a quiet time like mid afternoon to limit the risk further.  At present the numbers are very high, so sensible to be ultra careful, but hopefully numbers will get better in the not too distant future.

One thing I do feel is that the constant posts about how long it may possibly take for the vaccine to be rolled out are likely causing more worry for those who are becoming, perhaps a tad over anxious and are turning to these forums for some company.  As said by others we will have no idea how long it will take for the vaccine to be rolled out until we get there, though delivery is increasing at a very high rate at present, so I for one do not see the issue at all.

Agree. Being positive is not a failing. We can guess, or speculate when we will be Jabbed. Untill then we will carry on with our lives as best we can. We go shopping once a week and if Morrisons looks busy, will go back later. Out for a walk each day, but try and stay distanced. Things will get better, but me banging on about targets etc, won't make thing get better by one second sooner.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Which is why I think they've got the vaccination groups in the correct order. It's the same with Frank, I'm trying to keep him upbeat about the whole thing as he's been on anti-depressants since his brother died of covid.

Avril

Sorry to hear about Frank and his brother Avril.

Let's hope the promised speeding up of vaccine rollout is achieved or even surpassed so we can all have our previous lives back.

Graham.

• Like 3