I'm cashing in my chips

glentally

Upcoming Liberty April cruise will probably be canceled.  If so when I am offered a full refund does that include EVERYTHING?  Taxes, port fees and cabin costs?

Only thing I lose is OBC which wasn't mine to begin with correct?

• Like 1

I have a Royal cruise that I L&S from this month to next November.  I only did that because I booked it with a NR deposit so I had nothing to lose, but regardless of price I will not book anything else until cruises have been up and running successfully for several months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glentally said:

Upcoming Liberty April cruise will probably be canceled.  If so when I am offered a full refund does that include EVERYTHING?  Taxes, port fees and cabin costs?

Only thing I lose is OBC which wasn't mine to begin with correct?

What makes you think an April 2021 cruise will be cancelled?

If you think the coronavirus is going to still be around,  remember so is the flu and NORO.  Coronaviruses in the past typical have a second surge in November and December.  We're seeing that now.  But treatments are improving.  This has lead to a reduced severity of the virus, in it's effects and length of quaratnine.  Testing is improving and by April, there should be enough people vaccinated to reduce the spread risk to those most at risk.

Why not wait until end of January and see if indeed ships are sailing?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

If you think the coronavirus is going to still be around,  remember so is the flu and NORO.  Coronaviruses in the past typical have a second surge in November and December.  We're seeing that now.  But treatments are improving.  This has lead to a reduced severity of the virus, in it's effects and length of quaratnine.  Testing is improving and by April, there should be enough people vaccinated to reduce the spread risk to those most at risk.

I'm a bit worried about my April cruise. More because from what I can see the hoops to jump thru before cruises can restart will take months, ... how long depends on the cruiselines. I'd like to hear and see more signs of progress. People say well things are going on in the background, well if there is positive progress you would think the cruiselines would be shouting it from the roof tops.

• Like 1

It sounds like a lot of us are fed up with "FCC & OBC" for cruises that may never happen.

I'm also going to take the money and run if/when offered.

Since I'm a NYC person, and the next cruise out is June 2022....I really don't want to commit myself just to get a $600 OBC.

• Like 2

Lol I dont think I have any I can cash in without losing my nonrefundable deposit and it will be ages before I hear about my next cruise in april.

I agree we are all fed up. I feel bad for those with 8 day cruises in limbo, not cancelled but cant eve price match or see their cruise on booking engine. 

• Like 2

If you've made any Fun Shop purchases, to include Excursions, then I would recommend cancelling those before the cruise is cancelled. You should receive a refund to your original form of payment without having to wait too long, whereas if you let the cruise be cancelled it could take awhile to see all of your money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

i see no way cruising will be going in April. the vaccine according to all involved with it will probably not be available to the general public by then., and will take at least the rest of the year to get everyone vaccinated. this is all from the mouths of the experts in the field of dispensing the vaccine. also unless the current administration starts dealing with the next one there will likely be a large gap in the process.

i expect the cruiselines by way of the cdc to require both testing and probably a vaccine to board when they do start up. also mask wearing will undoubtedly continue for quite a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

I have rescheduled multiple cruises and nothing ever develops. I am waiting until they cancel, not before.  My point for the post is if it does cancel I'm not doing it again until all restrictions are done.

53 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

If you've made any Fun Shop purchases, to include Excursions, then I would recommend cancelling those before the cruise is cancelled. You should receive a refund to your original form of payment without having to wait too long, whereas if you let the cruise be cancelled it could take awhile to see all of your money.

I think this is a very good idea.  

4 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

You are correct. And smart move. You can always buy a cruise if they sail again. 

All part of Carnival's plan, IMO. People have stayed in the game this long and cruising restarting is in the foreseeable future. People will rebook at higher prices and Carnival doesn't have to bribe as many people with $600 OBC. A Win-Win for Carnival!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, mek said:

I have a Royal cruise that I L&S from this month to next November.  I only did that because I booked it with a NR deposit so I had nothing to lose, but regardless of price I will not book anything else until cruises have been up and running successfully for several months.

I thought I wasn’t booking anything until cruising resumes until I randomly booked the Crown Princess a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I cancelled one of my Carnival cruises and got everything back but the OBC. I have another in December of '21 which was purchased with gift cards that I'm keeping unless things go sideways. After that, I'm pushing DH to find another line.

This is why I will rebook if the first leg of my Mar/Apr B2B gets cancelled. Its paid with gift cards, so if I took a refund, Carnival will still have my cash and I lose the OBC. The 2nd leg has only the deposit on cc, and they are not getting another penny until there is progress that it will sail.

54 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

All part of Carnival's plan, IMO. People have stayed in the game this long and cruising restarting is in the foreseeable future. People will rebook at higher prices and Carnival doesn't have to bribe as many people with $600 OBC. A Win-Win for Carnival!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure about the higher prices. Just booked Legend for 2022 and the fare is a little over $2100 for 3 in a balcony. That's pretty consistent with what we've paid in the past (and I do recognize that it represents a small sample size, too).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm not sure about the higher prices. Just booked Legend for 2022 and the fare is a little over $2100 for 3 in a balcony. That's pretty consistent with what we've paid in the past (and I do recognize that it represents a small sample size, too).

As long as carnival is higher than other choices, I'll pick other choices., I just paid what to me is sky high, $1150 total for a balcony on liberty sept 2022. My april 2021 balcony is 884 total is why I hate to lose it. March 2022, 1007 total for a corner aft balcony. Pricing are rising. 

Idk if its the obc driving up carnival prices, but they are higher than other lines. I just want the ocean, the other things I can take or leave. Give me some ocean. My one carnival booking is comparably higher than other lines, only booked it for the obc. A bit higher than I paid my last time on vista tbh. 

Loyalty perks arent that good not to shop around. These higher prices are due to people booking for the obc, the prices ARE high considering covid. I dont have kids so I have no loyalty. No free cheers offer, got refunds on other carnival cancellations .. and went for better prices. I'm loyal to my pocketbook. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I thought I wasn’t booking anything until cruising resumes until I randomly booked the Crown Princess a couple of weeks ago.

Well, I really want to see how it goes before I make any future commitments.

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

As long as carnival is higher than other choices, I'll pick other choices., I just paid what to me is sky high, $1150 total for a balcony on liberty sept 2022. My april 2021 balcony is 884 total is why I hate to lose it. March 2022, 1007 total for a corner aft balcony. Pricing are rising. 

Idk if its the obc driving up carnival prices, but they are higher than other lines. I just want the ocean, the other things I can take or leave. Give me some ocean. My one carnival booking is comparably higher than other lines, only booked it for the obc. A bit higher than I paid my last time on vista tbh. 

Loyalty perks arent that good not to shop around. These higher prices are due to people booking for the obc, the prices ARE high considering covid. I dont have kids so I have no loyalty. No free cheers offer, got refunds on other carnival cancellations .. and went for better prices. I'm loyal to my pocketbook. 

I am also only loyal to my wallet and for when we wanted to sail (and which ports we could sail out of) CCL was the lowest. As I said, what we are paying is pretty consistent with what we've paid in the past, all things considered, i.e. the extra person. 

2 minutes ago, mek said:

Well, I really want to see how it goes before I make any future commitments.

That's the way that I felt, but if things aren't back to normal by 2/2022 then I fear they never will be and if that's the case then we've already taken our last cruise, which is too sad of thought to contemplate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was going to take the monies in my cancelled AUG2020 cruise and put it toward a NOV2021 cruise and Carnival wanted MORE MONEY. They couldn't take my deposit from the cancelled cruise and apply it to the newly booked cruise. I just said forgetaboutit and send me a refund on the AUG2020 cruise. If Carnival is going to weather this storm they're going to have to use their OWN MONEY ! The next time I cruise will be without a mask or distancing or forced ship-sponsored tours. Most likely after the vaccine is distributed. It's kind of sad to think this all has to end after 34 cruises with Carnival, but that's life. If and when I return to cruising it will be after taking a hard look at all the other lines and what they have to offer. No more jumping on Carnival AUTOMATICALLY because I feel a sense of loyalty to them. 😞

7 minutes ago, glrounds said:

I was going to take the monies in my cancelled AUG2020 cruise and put it toward a NOV2021 cruise and Carnival wanted MORE MONEY. They couldn't take my deposit from the cancelled cruise and apply it to the newly booked cruise. I just said forgetaboutit and send me a refund on the AUG2020 cruise. If Carnival is going to weather this storm they're going to have to use their OWN MONEY ! The next time I cruise will be without a mask or distancing or forced ship-sponsored tours. Most likely after the vaccine is distributed. It's kind of sad to think this all has to end after 34 cruises with Carnival, but that's life. If and when I return to cruising it will be after taking a hard look at all the other lines and what they have to offer. No more jumping on Carnival AUTOMATICALLY because I feel a sense of loyalty to them. 😞

Carnival is digging their own grave with their ineptitude. Unless you only had a reduced deposit then they should have been able to use what you previously paid. If my ta can do it, a random carnival rep should have. 

Yep wait until you feel the deal is right on whatever line. ..and you feel more comfortable. I think everyone is sick and tired of being sick and tired of no information from carnival. 

11 hours ago, fyree39 said:

After that, I'm pushing DH to find another line.

Depending upon which attributes that you like about Carnival there are various mass market lines that you can switch to.  RCI, NCL, MSC, Celebrity,  and Princess are the top 5 competitors.

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Depending upon which attributes that you like about Carnival there are various mass market lines that you can switch to.  RCI, NCL, MSC, Celebrity,  and Princess are the top 5 competitors.

Could also depend on where you live, as that's why I have so many cruises on carnival. Others have come and gone from Galveston like princess used to go out of Galveston and ncl tried houston for a while, but we are back to rcl and ccl. It adds a extra day and the cost of flights and airport parking and extra shuttle or uber for me to fly out of florida. I will again for variety, but after covid. 

Celebrity has set itself apart by making itself inclusive. Their base price includes standard drink pkg, which includes juices, coffees and mixed drinks, wifi and gratuities. So prices will always be higher. Though the good thing is loyalty level transfers from rcl for me. People have posted their rcl level gave them higher loyalty on msc, maybe someone here knows if it transfers from carnival. MSC has been very accommodative in the past. 

I think people like carnival because they used to have so few pay restaurants but its moving that direction with newer ships. Ncl felt like it had a lot of pay restaurants to me, but I liked the regular food more than carnival. I started carnival on ecstasy when all food included. The sushi used to be included, now it's a for pay option at night... As a example when I say carnival changing. Fttf added, and now bubbles added as a suite perk. 

If they are going to cancel February cruises, I wish they'd do it now.  We booked  with a reduced deposit, then not knowing this was going to happen, I put down an additional $500 when the AMEX offer came around.  The final payment is due December 7th.  If I cancel, I stand to lose $463.  If they cancel, I get it all back.  Like others above, I have no intention of sailing with the current restrictions and will not book another one until cruising is back to normal again.  That may never happen and if not, we'll find another way to enjoy our vacations.

It bothers me to see so many on here condemning people that say they won't cruise until it's safe again.  I don't consider being safe as "living in a bubble" as a few have stated.

• Like 2