Promising outlook finally

Porky55

I have never heard of the PVSA until a year ago and I’m fascinated by it but I suppose it has a purpose.

Just reading on forums they have closed a lot of loopholes.
Ships used to go from LA into Mexico and drop the anchor but apparently the closed that loophole.

36 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

OK ,from what the Americans are saying on the RCL forum, not.

They where saying the Singapore cruises can’t happen in the US.

But maybe I wasn’t getting it right.

Cruises like the Singapore ones can happen in the US. I have read many comments on the forum that show that many Americans don't understand the PVSA Act. It is understandable that Aussies don't know about it. After all, it is nothing to do with us. 

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I have never heard of the PVSA until a year ago and I’m fascinated by it but I suppose it has a purpose.

Just reading on forums they have closed a lot of loopholes.
Ships used to go from LA into Mexico and drop the anchor but apparently the closed that loophole.

The PVSA Act dates back to 1886. It was enacted as a form of protectionism to stop foreign ships competing with American ships for the transport of passengers domestically. That is why a closed loop cruise is legal, but a cruise going from one US port to another is not. Passengers cannot book B2B cruises that result in their travelling from one US port to another.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Do you think cruising out of the US will be feasible by the start of the Alaska season? I'm not so sure it will be. My previous comment was made with the thought that Coral won't do a US season but will head down here earlier than expected. Of course, I could be totally wrong but I doubt cruising will just restart without some trials and time for a quarantine before embarking any passengers. And the fact that Princess have cancelled the trans-Pacific leads me to think they have something else in mind for her. I might be just wishful thinking but .... dreams are free.😊

Princess must think it is feasible but I doubt that 2021 American itineraries would hold much appeal to Australians even if we were allowed to go over. Similarly Princess thinks the 2021 Australian season is feasible but I guess that may only be available to Australian and NZ passengers. The trans Pacific re location was cancelled because it is more than 7 nites out of an American port. If the American season was cancelled then perhaps Princess may bring Coral out early without passengers in time for our first departure on 29 October. Either way I imagine there will be a lot of compliance details to be ironed out before any ship can start an Australian season.

9 hours ago, NeilonBoard said:

Princess must think it is feasible but I doubt that 2021 American itineraries would hold much appeal to Australians even if we were allowed to go over. Similarly Princess thinks the 2021 Australian season is feasible but I guess that may only be available to Australian and NZ passengers. The trans Pacific re location was cancelled because it is more than 7 nites out of an American port. If the American season was cancelled then perhaps Princess may bring Coral out early without passengers in time for our first departure on 29 October. Either way I imagine there will be a lot of compliance details to be ironed out before any ship can start an Australian season.

I agree with your comments.

As a interview on 9 said the mum and dad little business that have a spin off from tourists ,would have been out of business for 18 months by the time things start.

I don’t know if anyone has been to circular quay lately.

Through the week it’s empty,most of the shops are vacant.
It’s like a science fiction movie.

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I was up in Cairns a couple of months ago and the Cairns CBD was just like that. All the backpacker places were boarded up and it was almost a ghost town.

Yet out at Palm Cove it was business as usual. Maybe even a bit better than usual.

More recently at Mooloolaba and Tangalooma it seemed pretty similar to Palm Cove.

It all depends on who is your customer base. If it's international tourists then you had better do some fast thinking. If it's domestic tourism, I'd guess a lot of those businesses are doing quite OK right now.

52 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The vaccines should be in circulation by then.

So with a lead up to actually sailing you could add a couple of months on top of that.

I thought they might have had some trial cruises.

My guess is that there might be some trial cruises around August/September. The cruise lines probably don't want to bring ships down here until the 21/22 season looks like happening. My guess is some of them will bring one ship each here early and use those for trials, then they'll bring the rest of their scheduled ships down in time for the start of the season.

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Friends went into the city yesterday & posted that both Darling Harbour & the Quay were almost deserted, including at lunchtime. They joked that it was pretty easy to social distance.

Even as we seemingly come out of the worst of the restrictions, it seems that many people are venturing out again, but mostly in their local areas. We went to our local Chinese on Sat night and it was pretty busy - we hadn't been there since COVID began. 

59 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Friends went into the city yesterday & posted that both Darling Harbour & the Quay were almost deserted, including at lunchtime. They joked that it was pretty easy to social distance.

Even as we seemingly come out of the worst of the restrictions, it seems that many people are venturing out again, but mostly in their local areas. We went to our local Chinese on Sat night and it was pretty busy - we hadn't been there since COVID began. 

I think it’s a bad move by federal government not to give some hope to all the businesses involved.

All those businesses and their leases,employees  supplies  ,you could go on.

I like to catch the train from Richmond with the kids when they have to go into work at the office in Sydney.
It’s good to do a walk around some of the waterfronts. Especially that it’s so quite,there’s nobody just the occasional resident or office worker .
We went to the four seasons the other day to use the toilets and there was just a security gard at the front door. CLOSED

Its a bit scary to be honest.

Was hoping things would pick up.

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

We went to the four seasons the other day to use the toilets and there was just a security gard at the front door. CLOSED

Its a bit scary to be honest.

The Four Seasons might be being used as a quarantine hotel.

We used to go into the city 3-4 times a year to poke around the shops, or catch a ferry to Manly, but we haven't done that since February. If we get a decent run of zero cases we might give it a go, we've been avoiding using public transport lately.

Meanwhile Lane Cove, Chatswood and Macquarie Center are buzzing.

39 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Four Seasons might be being used as a quarantine hotel.

We used to go into the city 3-4 times a year to poke around the shops, or catch a ferry to Manly, but we haven't done that since February. If we get a decent run of zero cases we might give it a go, we've been avoiding using public transport lately.

Meanwhile Lane Cove, Chatswood and Macquarie Center are buzzing.

Four seasons isn’t used for quarantine.

A nice walk if you’re interested,it’s all flat ground.

Train to Wynyard,there’s a McDonald’s you can grab a cappuccino and a snack.

Then the Wynyard walk to Barangaroo (underground)and have a look at James Packers new hotel.

Then Along the old hungry mile to stargazers Park and around under the bridge to the rocks.
When you get to the OPT you can Fantasise about going on a cruise. 
It’s quite nice and there is nobody, so don’t worry about social distancing.

No trains from Lane Cove, unfortunately, but the bus takes us right to Barangaroo these days ( it used to go to the QVB before Gladys decided we needed a light rail through the city).

Hopefully some of the good cafes are still open - Macdonald's isn't my idea of a nice place for coffee and a snack.

We've been meaning to do the walk from Barangaroo to the Rocks. Not sure we'll get around to it before Xmas though.

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No trains from Lane Cove, unfortunately, but the bus takes us right to Barangaroo these days ( it used to go to the QVB before Gladys decided we needed a light rail through the city).

Hopefully some of the good cafes are still open - Macdonald's isn't my idea of a nice place for coffee and a snack.

We've been meaning to do the walk from Barangaroo to the Rocks. Not sure we'll get around to it before Xmas though.

McDonald’s is about the only thing open.

26 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Even in Barangaroo?

Could be ? James new hotel would probably have something, it’s pretty impressive.

Through the week there’s not much of anything.

Have you got a thermos?

A few weeks ago I walked  through Barangaroo,Walsh bay under the bridge and the rocks.

Not that we were really looking but the only thing that we noticed was the baker’s oven in the rocks.

Edited by Chiliburn

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

As a interview on 9 said the mum and dad little business that have a spin off from tourists ,would have been out of business for 18 months by the time things start.

Circular Quay is very reliant on international tourists and office workers. If more people choose to keep working from home and international tourism doesn't open up not much those shops can do. Though I don't think there are many mum and pop stores in Circular Quay. I think most of them are either franchises or owned by Chinese conglomerates🤔

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Espressos and cafe lattes don't work in thermoses.😆

I'd be surprised if all the cafes and restaurants at Barangaroo were shut, there are a lot of apartments around there now.

I see makita ,(they make power tools ) make a battery powered coffee machine.

The modern tradesmen are very cultured.

73364A83-1703-436B-B0B9-34F5B835157E.thumb.png.f71f86c8e143c85139190151deb33541.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Circular Quay is very reliant on international tourists and office workers. If more people choose to keep working from home and international tourism doesn't open up not much those shops can do. Though I don't think there are many mum and pop stores in Circular Quay. I think most of them are either franchises or owned by Chinese conglomerates🤔

Travel agents,taxi drivers ,small tour companies across the country.

just a figure of speech.

But the upside is it’s quite pleasant with out all the people,even the seagulls seem to have gone back to their habitats.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:18 AM, NSWP said:

You will enjoy it, we did 10 days there in Oct 2002, the week the Bali bombing happened. We stayed at Governors Resort, nice cabins.

Looks like we are staying at Cumberland Lodge.