Promising outlook finally

Porky55

On 12/1/2020 at 4:09 PM, cruisine21 said:

Thanks. There’s a TA in Port Mac who has some good prices on packages but I’m hesitant to use an agent.

I am not a fan of TAs, however used the one from Port Macquarie for our visit.  Excellent service, kept us informed and everything went like clockwork, flights, pick up from airport, accomodation, car hire.  We did not do any of the offered tours, preferring to do our own thing and found plenty to keep us occupied.

All we need now is to see our opera house outside of that window.

I don’t think there are walk offs for disembarking? They seem to want you to have a booking.

I read in Singapore if you break any of the rules it’s $10k fine and or 6 months gaol.

image.thumb.jpeg.83fbcd9b7947d5f70216be13d861e307.jpeg

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I imagine there would be strict testing (and results) before being allowed to go anywhere.

Singapore had a good hit of the covid. Not sure on their numbers. Big flight and sea hub so not easy to prevent the covid coming in.

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

How many days was the QOS cruise?

I thought that breakfast would get your attention.

They are 2-3 night test cruises up to the end of December .

I think Singapore has just about got it squashed, similar to us.

Per person we have done a lot better but we have had more deaths per population.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I thought that breakfast would get your attention.

They are 2-3 night test cruises up to the end of December .

I think Singapore has just about got it squashed, similar to us.

Per person we have done a lot better but we have had more deaths per population.

Thank you Phillip, it looks quite a healthy breakfast. 

On another section of this forum there is a link to trials being conducted on a drug that is claimed to suppress the transmission of COVID. Of course, it will only work after a person knows they are infected. It would be particularly helpful in stopping the spread to doctors and nurses. I hope the trials show that the drug works and that it doesn't have nasty side effects.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/gsu-researchers-say-new-drug-completely-suppresses-covid-19-transmission/UASJIOG4SRB6TDAZM5DKVHHK2I

Edited by Aus Traveller

On 12/4/2020 at 10:46 AM, Aus Traveller said:

I notice that the death rate from COVID has dropped significantly compared with the early days. Medicos have experience now on which treatment works best.

As you say, "may it continue that way."🙂

Not in the US, UK and parts of Europe.

35 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

Not in the US, UK and parts of Europe.

From what I have read, the death rate from COVID is falling all around the world, i.e. the percentage of deaths compared with infections. However, with soaring infections, the number of deaths is soaring, but not as much as it would have without the treatments that are currently being used.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

From what I have read, the death rate from COVID is falling all around the world

There is an expectation that death rate will increase in some areas due to a swamping of hospital facilities. This is expected to be especially severe in the US in regional hospitals servicing smaller towns and rural areas. Starting about 10 to 12 days after Thanksgiving which was about 8 or 9 days ago.

Here’s a good article on the Singapore trials,the last paragraph is interesting how you are covered for medical costs. I believe it has a cap of $US20K ??

We should get a idea next week if the cruise ban is continued.

Hopefully we may get some `cruise getaways’.  coming our way.
Sydney to Eden ,3-4 nights??

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/amazing-pictures-what-life-is-like-on-the-worlds-first-royal-caribbean-cruise/

On 12/4/2020 at 10:46 AM, Aus Traveller said:

I notice that the death rate from COVID has dropped significantly compared with the early days. Medicos have experience now on which treatment works best.

As you say, "may it continue that way."🙂

To confirm my comment a couple of days ago that the death rate from COVID has dropped, here is a 'cut and paste' from a site about COVID  in USA.

Though coronavirus cases have exploded recently, with new infections topping one million a week, a far smaller proportion of people who get the virus these days are dying from it. National data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that the share of cases resulting in death dropped from 6.7 percent in April to 1.9 percent in September.

But over all, deaths in the United States are still climbing.

Here’s another article about a possible start to the season.

It says Royal Caribbean’s selling 2 night cruise 13 March from Brisbane but I can’t find anything?

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/dec/06/australias-cruise-ship-ban-is-set-to-expire-but-it-wont-all-be-smooth-sailing

Edited by Chiliburn

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

To confirm my comment a couple of days ago that the death rate from COVID has dropped, here is a 'cut and paste' from a site about COVID  in USA.

Though coronavirus cases have exploded recently, with new infections topping one million a week, a far smaller proportion of people who get the virus these days are dying from it. National data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that the share of cases resulting in death dropped from 6.7 percent in April to 1.9 percent in September.

But over all, deaths in the United States are still climbing.

I wonder if the reason for this statement is that more younger people are contracting the virus who are less likely to have underlying medical conditions than in the first wave.

Leigh