Alaska 2021 looking very unlikely

HaveWeMetYet

OTTAWA — Canada will not agree to lifting a ban on non-essential travel with the United States until the coronavirus outbreak is significantly under control around the world, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Tuesday.

Trudeau’s comments were a clear indication that the border restrictions will last well into 2021. The two neighbours agreed to the ban in March and have rolled it over on a monthly basis ever since.

Full article.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/trudeau-indicates-canada-u-s-border-restrictions-to-last-a-long-time

Well, I booked Alaska (again) last week  for late August 2021 .....did so to give as much time for the vaccine and border issues to fall into place. It still may not work out .... Only a $250 deposit for my family of four so no real big investment to lose. 

I agree, the Jones act should protect the American economy, in this case could have the opposite effect, there really should be the ability to suspend the rules for pleasure cruises under extradentary circumstances such as these.

• Like 3

We're booked on the Bliss out of Seattle for April. We figure our chance of getting to go is 25% or less, but keeping fingers crossed. I honestly don't understand why changes can't be made to these laws due to the pandemic. I'm not talking about people have a right to vacation - but more so for the towns that rely on the business.

So as others have said - a mandatory stop in Victoria for the ship to restock supplies from Canadian merchants, but no passengers allowed off the boat. They get some of the business they've been missing out on, and we get to keep on keeping on for the rest of our journey away from Canada, keeping our potential cooties to ourselves.

• Like 4

We are booked on the Bliss out of Seattle  in late August. I’m trying to time it right with Canada lifting travel bans and the vaccine being distributed by then. I feel April is too early especially to Alaska with the barriers in place right now. I cancelled my April cruise on the Encore. 

• Like 1

I had heard years ago that sometimes( I presume rarely) a cruise ship cannot dock in Victoria because of some extremely rough waters. If that is true, that proves an exception can be made about docking in a foreign port. Has anybody else ever heard that story? 

• Like 1

Just now, Linsuesue said:

I had heard years ago that sometimes( I presume rarely) a cruise ship cannot dock in Victoria because of some extremely rough waters. If that is true, that proves an exception can be made about docking in a foreign port. Has anybody else ever heard that story? 

Maybe, but what does it matter?  Being unable to dock due to foul weather is a lot different than planning not to dock because people want to go on a cruise.

11 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Maybe, but what does it matter?  Being unable to dock due to foul weather is a lot different than planning not to dock because people want to go on a cruise.

I think it shows that exceptions can be made. If that is the case, maybe the U.S. can figure a way to make an exception to bypass that port to get the revenue to Alaskan business and people. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zdcatc12 said:

I guess they could do a "technical" stop in Victoria where the ship stops, but no one disembarks. I believe some of the California cruises that only go to Catalina Island do that in Mexico.

From what I’ve read on other threads, that is no longer permitted. 

On 12/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, bonvoyagie said:

We have already cancelled our June 2021 AK cruise - got our 100.00 back but lost the FCC and the extra discounts from booking it when we did.

I think we should follow you and do the same for our June Alaskan cruise. The Greater Victoria Harbor Authority sounds skeptical about resuming business with cruise ships right away. Since the Alaskan cruise season starts around April, that would give them about 2 months to iron out details before our cruise sails. I don’t think that is possible. 

• Like 2

I have a cruise booked for the Encore's 1st cruise to Alaska.

I doubt if it will go for three reasons:

(1) Unless things change a great deal with Covid-19, the Port of Seattle may or may not be open.  Cases in the Seattle area are still very very high.

(2) Currently it says that cruises of over 7 days are not allowed.  The cruise from Miami to Seattle would be over the 7 day limit.  Even if it sails from LA (which not be open), She would have to cruise to Vancouver first which may or may not be allowed.

(3) Will Canadian ports be open by early May?  At this point who knows.

The Passenger Vessel Service Act was passed by Congress in 1886.  My suggestion would be for all of us who love cruising to Alaska, wait until after new administration takes office, the write letters to your Senator and Congress members asking that the Act be repealed.  If they get a large enough interest, maybe something can be done. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

It really is mind boggling that a cruise from Seattle can’t go to towns in Alaska without having to get Canada involved thus controlling if the Alaska cruise season happens or not. They really need to abolish these stupid acts/laws. 

Yes. But the law is there to protect US ships from foreign competition using cheap international labor. 

4 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

You just have to include an exception for cruise ships into the law and the problem is solved.

The law is called The Passenger Vessel Service Act.  Even in 1886 when this was written I would think that a "Passenger Vessel" would mean a cruise ship as we now them now.

• Like 1