Moving on.......Luxury Cruises: from boom to bust? Channel 4

Harry Peterson

44 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

In terms of my general reaction to the programme....

As I have said before, my wife and I were first drawn to cruising as a result of watching a documentary series in the 90’s called ‘Supership Oriana’. Over around 5 one hour episodes, it showed the design, construction, fit out, sea trials and maiden cruise of Oriana “the first cruise ship designed specifically for the U.K. market” as they described it. We were amazed at how opulent it all looked and we took the plunge and booked our first cruise on her on 1996, which we loved even though we were around 40 years younger than most other passengers!

My wife and I were saying last night that, had we not already discovered cruising, every single cruising programme that has been on in recent years, bar none, would have put us off the idea completely. They are all portrayed as brash holiday camp style holidays with over the top staff.  I’m generalising of course, as there are always exceptions, but with everything on TV nowadays being ‘human interest’ related, ‘normal’ people don’t make such good TV! It’s no wonder that so many of our friends seem amazed that we like cruising when the depiction of it is as it is!

I couldn't have put it better.  We started on a really small ship with 400 passengers.  If we had watched these cruising programmes, we definitely wouldn't have started.  As for saying the "ship is the destination".  Sorry, it's not for us.  I enjoy a couple of days at sea, but then want to get off and explore.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I see you are fairly new to cruise critic so welcome. In case I don't get another chance, I'll say goodbye now🤣

so it's not cruise critic but p&o doffing as they squeeze the last pip from customers and staff sorry if anyone took personally

31 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume all wine waiters and bar staff do the same, they just look at our cruise cards and use our forenames because they are easier and more common than surnames.

it's something that off shore call centre staff do too 

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

That will explain it then. Personally I like to chat to crew, find out where they are from, etc. Not to treat them as invisible servants.

Well said,it's all part of the cruising experiance,exploring different destinations,getting to know staff plus the guests and swapping stories,hints and tips.

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

That will explain it then. Personally I like to chat to crew, find out where they are from, etc. Not to treat them as invisible servants.

I’m thinking the crew would remember po go and go not that again FFS🤦‍♂️😂. I’m with you Sharon made great friends with the crew and are in contact with them a lot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume all wine waiters and bar staff do the same, they just look at our cruise cards and use our forenames because they are easier and more common than surnames.

Probably because this has happened on every ship we have been on.

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well they may have but that would have been edited out. 

According to Sharon (the host who was on the program it was).

It is almost as though the program was made to support the big companies in some ways, yet the bad things regards cruising (pollution bad treatment of staff, not paying tax) was mentioned as well.  Funny program really.  Mind you as time goes on I do think that any cruise companies that are left will be running those sort of monsters, or be the really expensive, so called, luxury lines and expedition ships.  We are more or less accepting that our future holidays are likely to be land based as we are 70 and have limited years left to travel.  Sad though.

None of the companies running smaller ships were mentioned either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, po go said:

it's something that off shore call centre staff do too 

Call centre staff don't use my forename.  And if they did, I would find being called "Son" by someone on the end of the phone somewhat condescending.  

Call centre staff have always called me by my surname - Mr Anarchy  🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, tring said:

According to Sharon (the host who was on the program it was).

It is almost as though the program was made to support the big companies in some ways, yet the bad things regards cruising (pollution bad treatment of staff, not paying tax) was mentioned as well.  Funny program really.  Mind you as time goes on I do think that any cruise companies that are left will be running those sort of monsters, or be the really expensive, so called, luxury lines and expedition ships.  We are more or less accepting that our future holidays are likely to be land based as we are 70 and have limited years left to travel.  Sad though.

None of the companies running smaller ships were mentioned either. 

Pauline's late mam celebrated her 90th birthday with us on Ventura so you could still have lots of cruises.

Graham.

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline's late mam celebrated her 90th birthday with us on Ventura so you could still have lots of cruises.

Graham.

Yes you are right of course, perhaps in one of my down moods at present.  I think all that is going on is just irritating me though, as the "new" cruising is never something we wanted anyway.  We like really unusual destinations, so small ships are all that can do much of that, so even P&O so called small ships are big in our eyes, though will use occasionally.  We had been going in the direction of just using cruises between two distant places when on a holiday that includes a lot of land stays/ tours as well.  Independent tours that is, we do not do group tours, but using a car and driver or just internal flights, ferry etc. does the job nicely and have longer to appreciate each place according to how long we want to stay there rather than because that is when the ship arrives/leaves port.  Plenty of time to meet local people as well.  Yes writing this has put it in perspective - it is winter and we should be on or thinking of going off for something like this!!!!  Umpty is the word.

Quite happy to go on cruises north to places that are scenic/interesting in the summer (Norway, including Spitzbergen, Greenland etc.).  But at least we have covered a fair bit of that now.  We had booked Aurora to US/Canada for 2021, but have happily changed it due to the restrictions that could well be in place and may not even be able to meet up with Canadian relatives either.  Even if things better here by then, we have no Confidence that the US will and Canada East coast are being very careful about who they let in already, even from the rest of Canada - need to isolate in a hotel for 2 weeks on arrival, so even my Brother's daughters cannot visit, but does mean Newfoundland pretty safe as extremely low numbers.

Errr sorry to prattle on, think I just needed a rant, but do appreciate we are in a far better situation than many people in the world. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, tring said:

Yes you are right of course, perhaps in one of my down moods at present.  I think all that is going on is just irritating me though, as the "new" cruising is never something we wanted anyway.  We like really unusual destinations, so small ships are all that can do much of that, so even P&O so called small ships are big in our eyes, though will use occasionally.  We had been going in the direction of just using cruises between two distant places when on a holiday that includes a lot of land stays/ tours as well Independent tours that is, we do not do group tours, but using a car and driver or just internal flights etc. does the job nicely and have longer to appreciate each place according to how long we want to stay there rather than because that is when the ship arrives/leaves port.  Yes writing this has put it in perspective - it is winter and we should be on or thinking of going off for something like this!!!!  Umpty is the word.

Quite happy to go on cruises north to places that are scenic/interesting in the summer (Norway, including Spitzbergen, Greenland etc.).  But at least we have covered a fair bit of that now.  We had booked Aurora to US/Canada for 2021, but have happily changed it due to the restrictions that could well be in place and may not even be able to meet up with Canadian relatives either.  Even if things better here by then, we have no Confidence that the US will and Canada East coast are being very careful about who they let in already, even from the rest of Canada - need to isolate in a hotel for 2 weeks on arrival, so even my Brother's daughters cannot visit, but does mean Newfoundland pretty safe as extremely low numbers.

Errr sorry to prattle on, think I just needed a rant, but do appreciate we are in a far better situation than many people in the world. 

No problem.

Sometimes it is good to talk to lift your spirits up.

Stay safe and I hope you have a lovely Christmas.

Graham 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I couldn't have put it better.  We started on a really small ship with 400 passengers.  If we had watched these cruising programmes, we definitely wouldn't have started.  As for saying the "ship is the destination".  Sorry, it's not for us.  I enjoy a couple of days at sea, but then want to get off and explore.

I agree.

I took my first cruise with my late partner in 1994 on a small Cunard ship carrying about 700 passengers. As far as we were concerned the ports of call were the destination, the ship the means of seeing them. All I require of the latter are good food, drink and service, and good company, and small ships offer me everything I need. I accept however, that things have changed somewhat in recent years and that there is a new breed of cruiser to whom the ship itself is the main destination. Such cruisers regard the ship in effect as a floating resort hotel, and the facilities and entertainment onboard are to them as important or even more so than the ports of call. They may indeed opt to remain onboard in the latter, in the same way that some people travel half way across the world to a resort like Sandals and rarely leave it during their stay. There are in effect two different markets emerging, and RCI and others are aiming very much at the latter, Viking Saga etc at the former.

37 minutes ago, po go said:

do you do it in tesco , wetherspoons etc??

Round here we do it everywhere. Wouldn’t even pass anyone in the street without saying hello, and quite possibly a chat. Just friendly social intercourse.

Always got to know the lovely people looking after us on cruise ships pretty well, though I certainly wouldn’t expect to be remembered a year later. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

In actual fact we always have done so wherever we go in the world, never been in a Wetherspoons though.

had a nice chat with emily from aldi's customer service on isle of wight today straightaway we were on 1st name terms 

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Wouldnt have a clue how many cruises in total we have done all I know is we started in 1997 on QE2 and since have cruised with Cunard, Princess and P&O.

I have kept a record of dates,ship and itinerary of all our cruises.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

No problem.

Sometimes it is good to talk to lift your spirits up.

Stay safe and I hope you have a lovely Christmas.

Graham 

Thanks.  How are you now Graham, do you still suffer any COVID effects?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I have kept a record of dates,ship and itinerary of all our cruises.

Me too, not for bragging rights but because I have a terrible memory 😂 When considering new cruises I refer to it to see which places we have been to before and which would be maiden ports for us. I also have a record of the price we paid for every cruise, plus I’ve kept every Horizon newspaper, menus etc for every single cruise we’ve been on. We have two ‘memories’ boxes of very special things that we have done thorough our lives, but the cruise memorabilia has a large box of its own! Come the day that we can no longer go anywhere, it will be nice to look back on. Mind you, the way things are going, that day may already be here 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, po go said:

do you do it in tesco , wetherspoons etc??

Shopping is delivered but yes, I chat with my postie who is more than happy to discuss his 7 month old, and my Asda delivery drivers - mostly about their unreasonable customers who always moan!! People are people wherever they may be in the world. Don't you?

• Like 4