New health Protocols

emam

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

What were allowed to catch Haddock?

I can't remember, but I don't think the haddock population has reported many cases. That may be significant. I wonder if anyone has a learned paper they can give a link to. Haddock not catching virus. Virus not catching haddock. Is there a link?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I can't remember, but I don't think the haddock population has reported many cases. That may be significant. I wonder if anyone has a learned paper they can give a link to. Haddock not catching virus. Virus not catching haddock. Is there a link?

I think Haddock probably got it from Tintin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Well if this virus is as clever as they say  it's possible it knew we had the vaccine first, so it has started mutating here first!!!

No brain in a virus, it is technically not alive either as it does not breathe or metabolise, just reproduces. However more than a match for us humans as an awful lot of us don't appear to have a brain either 🤔

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

So for pitys sake will you all stop carping about Boris's failings and get behind the govt and support them in trying to keep the virus under control until the vaccine gives us the opportunity to push it into a corner.

I thought it was only me that was beginning to lose my patience. Welcome to the club, I don't feel so lonely now😉

Avril

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

9 cases of the new strain reported in Denmark.  I suppose it's possible, we have just found the new strain first?

It would appear that the new strain is already in Belgium, Holland and Denmark. A report on Sky is that we picked it up first due to our " Advanced testing regime". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I thought it was only me that was beginning to lose my patience. Welcome to the club, I don't feel so lonely now😉

Avril

How about me Avril. Sometimes I feel like a voice in the wilderness.🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It would appear that the new strain is already in Belgium, Holland and Denmark. A report on Sky is that we picked it up first due to our " Advanced testing regime". 

I thought we hadn't worked out a trade deal with the EU yet🤔

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Shhhh, don't be telling folk our government got something right.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Agree.  Luckily for Devon and Cornwall Great Western have a limited service due to Covid amongst the staff, so I hope flaming second home owners don't pour down here.  I will know when I go in to work tomorrow.

I hope that they don't head in your direction but watching the way in which everyone seems to be trying to get out of London I think that yo may be unlucky.  Given that no one is supposed to go to a lower tier the crowds should be stopped at the railway stations and all public transport should be stopped from leaving the tier 4 areas.

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I hope that they don't head in your direction but watching the way in which everyone seems to be trying to get out of London I think that yo may be unlucky.  Given that no one is supposed to go to a lower tier the crowds should be stopped at the railway stations and all public transport should be stopped from leaving the tier 4 areas.

There will be lots heading to Cornwall and the Isle of Wight I bet....!

18 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

That's exactly right.  If there is no penalty, then they do what they like.  Having said that, just watching local Beeb news and one landlady saying everyone has cancelled, so she is closing up until end January, so many have cancelled holidays.  However, that doesn't stop people visiting their families.  I was annoyed at hearing one woman who was now prevented from visiting her daughter and family in Cornwall, so her and her husband's mental health was becoming precarious?  Really.  They have each other.  What about those like my best friend who is on her own?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Saw on the news that many got out yesterday evening.

6 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I was wondering what effect this new strain of the virus will have on the restart of cruising.

it is said that the new strain is 70% more infectious.

I wouldn’t be keen on joining a closed community when there’s something that infectious going round.

I think a significant portion of the population will need to be vaccinated and the virus transmission rate will have to be driven down to a very low figure before they can even consider restarting.

I had thought they’d get some short scenic cruises sailing in the spring. Not so sure now. The trouble is, if all this goes on for even  longer the threat to the cruiselines becomes existential.

I think that the short answer is whilst Tiers 3 and 4 exist, no cruise company will be able to sail from the UK.  There will simply be too many passengers who will be subject to travel bans and restrictions, even if the on board measures are exclusively effective and a way can be found for some of the crews/ships to be safely started up.

UK travellers may also now be subject to longer international travel bans, similar to how the "high risk" countries were treated at the start of the pandemic.  Time will tell on this.

The other issue is, and I sincerely hope that it doesn't come it, is the possibility of a Tier 5, or further restriction beyond Tier 4 - affecting schools and/or closure of more workplaces such as construction and manufacturers of non-essential or luxury items.  If this step happens, then cruise ship travel is again a further step away.

I don't have any insider knowledge etc, but I will be keeping an eye out for P&O on either the 5th or 12th January... about 10am.😉

• Like 1