Three HAL Ships in or headed to Southern California

boze9999

Excited to see some ship movement! The Koningsdam and Westerdam are headed to San Diego and the Nieuw Amsterdam is in Los Angelos! Could HAL be getting ready to start bringing in crews in order to start their 60-90 day CDC test trials? The optimist in me hopes so!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, boze9999 said:

Excited to see some ship movement! The Koningsdam and Westerdam are headed to San Diego and the Nieuw Amsterdam is in Los Angelos! Could HAL be getting ready to start bringing in crews in order to start their 60-90 day CDC test trials? The optimist in me hopes so!!!

We also have ships in the Caribbean. Nieuw Statendam is scheduled to be in Port Everglades next Sunday.

• Like 1

Westerdam moving to US West coast makes me think she will not be sailing to Europe for Summer 2021 as currently scheduled.  She had no West Coast departures on schedule of any kind.  Perhaps she will sub for Oosterdam, Eurodam or Zuiderdam in AK summer 2021???  Question is then will her Europe season be scrapped or will there be another ship swap to replace her?

• Like 3

Just now, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

@VMax1700 I'll be surprised if even 1 or 2 ships actually sail in Europe for HAL for summer/fall 2021.  Heck I'll be surprised if even half the Alaska deployment happens!  We are FARRRRR from the end of cancellations and ship swaps I fear!

I suppose Rotterdam is the only certainty, if there can be such a thing.

34 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Question is then will her Europe season be scrapped or will there be another ship swap to replace her?

Since we're booked Sept. 24-Nov. 13 on the Westerdam in Europe, instead of cancelling those cruises I'm going to hope for a ship swap -- better than nothing.  As always, thank you for your posts!

12 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I suppose Rotterdam is the only certainty, if there can be such a thing.

Look at Enchanted Princess - delivered to PRC in September and sitting idle in Italy near Trieste - looking as if her entire Caribbean season may be scrapped and she may or may not debut in Europe in late May .....  Nothing really certain right now as to when and where a particular ship will re-enter service, or if once a ship starts back up if it will even perform the itineraries it was scheduled for.  Carnival just took possession of Mardi Gras last week from the shipyard in Finland, yet they are saying her first sailing not until at least April 24th from Port Canaveral .... if then.

Point is - Rotterdam could be delivered in August by the shipyard and HAL could keep her out of service until she is scheduled to sail from FLL in the fall of 2021.  We as cruisers may not know the REAL answer to this equation for many. many, many more months.  Heck I doubt any of the cruise lines "really" know anything at this point.  They are basically throwing darts at a board every few days to see where things land

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Look at Enchanted Princess - delivered to PRC in September and sitting idle in Italy near Trieste - looking as if her entire Caribbean season may be scrapped and she may or may not debut in Europe in late May .....  Nothing really certain right now as to when and where a particular ship will re-enter service, or if once a ship starts back up if it will even perform the itineraries it was scheduled for.  Carnival just took possession of Mardi Gras last week from the shipyard in Finland, yet they are saying her first sailing not until at least April 24th from Port Canaveral .... if then.

Point is - Rotterdam could be delivered in August by the shipyard and HAL could keep her out of service until she is scheduled to sail from FLL in the fall of 2021.  We as cruisers may not know the REAL answer to this equation for many. many, many more months.  Heck I doubt any of the cruise lines "really" know anything at this point.  They are basically throwing darts at a board every few days to see where things land

Were you Nurse Ratchet in another life? 😂

I know what you mean.  Still we have the Baltic booked on Rotterdam in September and we are planning on going!  Heck, we are planning a week in Naples/Sorrento in June.  Just got to believe!

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Westerdam moving to US West coast makes me think she will not be sailing to Europe for Summer 2021 as currently scheduled.  She had no West Coast departures on schedule of any kind.  Perhaps she will sub for Oosterdam, Eurodam or Zuiderdam in AK summer 2021???  Question is then will her Europe season be scrapped or will there be another ship swap to replace her?

I fear you may be right, just wish HAL would let us know. My understanding is Cunard has scrapped May sailings.  I would appreciate a lift and shift scenario until 2022.  Hope we know soon as May in Europe on the Westie is looking rather doubtful. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

We also have ships in the Caribbean. Nieuw Statendam is scheduled to be in Port Everglades next Sunday.

3 hours ago, Himself said:

I wonder if HAL will have a couple ships in the Caribbean this summer or more ships in the Eastern Canada season, if Canada ever opens up.

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Why ??? 4/11 one voyage ???????

Either they will be picking up North American based crew (cruise staff/entertainers mostly) then will sail to Europe some time mid Q1 to wait things out or a redeployment announcement is imminent.  At this point one guess is as good as another!

18 hours ago, Moonlight Beach said:

News article from San Diego news station:

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local-news/cruise-ships-to-begin-returning-to-san-diego-without-passengers/

And from the Port of San Diego website, dated Dec. 21, 2020:

image.thumb.png.a115ec583defc5153b9d39565ab7efeb.png

Could someone copy and paste the article, please?

All I get is this........................

(if the article is too long to copy, then maybe a precis, or abbreviated copy?)

Our European visitors are important to us.

This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.

@VMax1700

SAN DIEGO (CNS) – Cruise ships are scheduled to return to the Port of San Diego this week and through the new year, part of an effort by the cruise lines to reestablish ships in U.S. waters as a prerequisite to resume cruising in a post-COVID-19 world, it was announced Monday.

Five Holland America Line ships and one Princess Cruises ship are scheduled to arrive beginning Wednesday, periodically docking at the B Street Cruise Terminal for fuel, food, supplies and services. At this time, none of the vessels will be carrying passengers or conducting any sailings, according to local port officials.

To resume cruises after the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention deems it safe in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the ships must reestablish operations in United States waters to meet CDC and U.S. Coast Guard guidelines.

According to port officials, time spent docked in San Diego will be limited. Each ship is scheduled to dock at B Street the morning of their scheduled arrival date and depart that evening.

The Holland America Line ships are scheduled to remain in the San Diego area and may be visible off the coast, with some periodically positioning in the outer anchorage just outside of San Diego Bay off the coast of Coronado. After their initial arrival, each HAL ship plans to periodically return to the B Street Cruise Terminal to refuel and/or to resupply or receive services. The Emerald Princess is scheduled to go to Los Angeles after its Dec. 24 visit, but port officials stressed that vessel schedules may change.

Crew members aboard the vessels will not be allowed off unless as part of crew changes with plans and procedures reviewed and approved by the CDC, Coast Guard, Customs and Border Patrol and county Health and Human Services. All crew members will be regularly tested for COVID-19 and health procedures will be followed in the event of an infection.

The COVID-19 pandemic has had major impacts on San Diego’s tourism industry, including 119 canceled cruises since March, representing a loss of roughly $200 million in regional economic activity, impacting local businesses and government. The Port’s cruise industry supports jobs, including in retail, restaurant and lodging; transportation, trucking and warehousing; ship agents and stevedoring; and security and manpower services.

The current arrival schedule is:

— Dec. 23: Holland America Koningsdam;

— Dec. 24: Princess Cruises Emerald Princess;

— Dec. 28: Holland America Westerdam;

— Jan. 8: Holland America Zuiderdam; and

— Jan. 11: Holland America Noordam.