Alaska 2021 Preductions?

cruisetonowhere10

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, projections have the same downward trend here.

Projections are down here but the medical community suggested we might have 10-20 million vaccinated .  Hard to fault anyone that Pfizer has production issues with batches not approved and some shortages of materials. 

Only politicians said 100 million in 2020.  We should actually hit about 2 million.  Pretty hard to ramp up vaccinations with the holidays.

3 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Projections are down here but the medical community suggested we might have 10-20 million vaccinated .  Hard to fault anyone that Pfizer has production issues with batches not approved and some shortages of materials. 

Only politicians said 100 million in 2020.  We should actually hit about 2 million.  Pretty hard to ramp up vaccinations with the holidays.

Fascinating article by Lawrence Wright, in yesterday's issue of the New Yorker, lengthy read but well worth the time.  I'd of posted a link to it here but wasn't sure if it is allowed.  Though I did find it easily on the internet with no subscription required.  

• Thanks 1

Definitely got a lot of thoughts that rival mine here.  I was hopeful there was some metrics/logic that had played into the cancellation of the May/June cruises that could be extrapolated out to ponder July/August and beyond, but apparently not.  Oh well, I'll wait and see until April then make a decision at final payment. I'm guessing we will have a much more solid idea of the likelihood and what the end result of a cruise during that time would be/look like, etc.

11 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Fascinating article by Lawrence Wright, in yesterday's issue of the New Yorker, lengthy read but well worth the time.  I'd of posted a link to it here but wasn't sure if it is allowed.  Though I did find it easily on the internet with no subscription required.  

You can post a link with published material.  You cannot quote or use published or copyrighted material or quotes unless you post the link and source with it.  Here are the CC rules:

Copyright Infringement

The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed.

The one exception to this would be Cruise Line press releases. You may post these word for word on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The issue, at least in my state of Illinois, is not due to the production issues, at least not at this time.  We have tons of vaccine just sitting around while the implementation of the vaccination process is going at a snail's pace.  One can argue that the plans should have been national rather than state driven (and we won't argue that as it is against CC rules🙂) but we had plenty of advance notice that should have resulted in a more efficient roll-out plan.  Instead we are at risk of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of doses going bad before they can be distributed.  Very frustrating!

36 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

The issue, at least in my state of Illinois, is not due to the production issues, at least not at this time.  We have tons of vaccine just sitting around while the implementation of the vaccination process is going at a snail's pace.  One can argue that the plans should have been national rather than state driven (and we won't argue that as it is against CC rules🙂) but we had plenty of advance notice that should have resulted in a more efficient roll-out plan.  Instead we are at risk of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of doses going bad before they can be distributed.  Very frustrating!

The individual states have been in control of everything concerning the pandemic since day 1.  That is a fact.  They individually set the rules for lockdowns, partial lockdowns, re-opening, etc. etc.  - and now they are totally in control of the vaccine distribution process and who gets prioritized in each state.  Some will be better and more efficient than others.  I understand the frustration here!

Edited by TeeRick

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The individual states have been in control of everything concerning the pandemic since day 1.  That is a fact.  They individually set the rules for lockdowns, partial lockdowns, re-opening, etc. etc.  - and now they are totally in control of the vaccine distribution process and who gets prioritized in each state.  Some will be better and more efficient than others.  I understand the frustration here!

Somewhere in these forums, many months ago, I read just such a prediction. It was a clear and detailed treatise(?). It appears, to me, that such forward planning has been lacking on many levels. I believe much was dependent on federal funding to the states. As I am not a resident I do not know how this works in the US. Is this correct but not open to discussion or an oversimplification?

Can anyone make sense of the US recommendation to vaccinate all healthy 16-64 yr. olds at the same time? Certainly a 64 yr. old's risk is far more than a 16 yr. old's? UK is vaccinating by decades; in other words, over 85's, then over 75's, then over 65's and over 55's and so on down the line, with under 25's being last. That seems to make a lot more sense. As it is now, my grandchild and I are in the same group!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Firepath said:

Can anyone make sense of the US recommendation to vaccinate all healthy 16-64 yr. olds at the same time? Certainly a 64 yr. old's risk is far more than a 16 yr. old's? UK is vaccinating by decades; in other words, over 85's, then over 75's, then over 65's and over 55's and so on down the line, with under 25's being last. That seems to make a lot more sense. As it is now, my grandchild and I are in the same group!  

My understanding is a healthy 20 year old is considerably well before a healthy 64 year old. image.thumb.jpeg.26a8a9cec602b6e6d1df2bd1385836c6.jpeg

I feel your pain, My place in line is at the needle mark. Husband and I are 63

7 minutes ago, mimbecky said:

My understanding is a healthy 20 year old is considerably well before a healthy 64 year old. image.thumb.jpeg.26a8a9cec602b6e6d1df2bd1385836c6.jpeg

I feel your pain, My place in line is at the needle mark. Husband and I are 63

Where did that graphic come from?  Seems like it needs a bit of explanation on who belongs to each group; especially young adults and other essential workers (why are they not garden-variety essential workers?).

13 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Where did that graphic come from?  Seems like it needs a bit of explanation on who belongs to each group; especially young adults and other essential workers (why are they not garden-variety essential workers?).

Sorry, it was a print screen I sent to my friend the other day.  Now can't find the link.  This is specifically California however we are following the CDC guidelines pretty much so just google that.  I have seen several variants but they are pretty much the same as far as where a 64 year old would be.  The US is very different from both UK and Canada regarding this. There is a tool you can use to see where you are in line for your age/county/etc....

Opinion | When Can I Get a Coronavirus Vaccine in America? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

12 minutes ago, mimbecky said:

Sorry, it was a print screen I sent to my friend the other day.  Now can't find the link.  This is specifically California however we are following the CDC guidelines pretty much so just google that.  I have seen several variants but they are pretty much the same as far as where a 64 year old would be.  The US is very different from both UK and Canada regarding this. There is a tool you can use to see where you are in line for your age/county/etc....

Opinion | When Can I Get a Coronavirus Vaccine in America? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

That is a great link!  Thank you for posting it.

Graphic for CA is similar to the priority in NC.  Here is a link to the priority list with a bit more granularity https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/vaccines

I agree with the way they handled essential workers by dividing them into 2 groups, then dividing those 2 groups by 50 and older, then the younger ones.

But as a 63 year old I don't understand why that approach was not taken with the "others" category and that healthy high school and college students are higher priority than healthy 50 and older. 

Here is a link to the hospitalization demographics for NC https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/hospitalization-demographics

AT LAST!!!!! Being high risk has an advantage! Cancer survivor, obese, asthmatic. I'm hoping our end of August cruise is a go. Just put down a deposit on our private land tour. These are replacements for last August.and I'm hoping to be LESS obese over the coming months.

Edited by chirurgeon
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, chirurgeon said:

AT LAST!!!!! Being high risk has an advantage! Cancer survivor, obese, asthmatic. I'm hoping our end of August cruise is a go. Just put down a deposit on our private land tour. These are replacements for last August.and I'm hoping to be LESS obese over the coming months.

love your positive attitude chirurgeon!!!

On 12/29/2020 at 12:57 PM, Fouremco said:

People like your husband are an inspiration for us all, one of the unsung heroes... 

You're very kind. To be clear, I was not seeking kudos; I was merely pointing out that a great many people who choose careers of service do so recognizing that such service will often come a t the expense of family time, and that going the extra mile is a given, not something to be recognized as extra. I am confident that finding volunteers to work holidays in order to get more people vaccinated and help end the pandemic sooner would not be difficult. 

16 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

You're very kind. To be clear, I was not seeking kudos; I was merely pointing out that a great many people who choose careers of service do so recognizing that such service will often come a t the expense of family time, and that going the extra mile is a given, not something to be recognized as extra. I am confident that finding volunteers to work holidays in order to get more people vaccinated and help end the pandemic sooner would not be difficult. 

I knew that you weren't seeking kudos for your hubby, but he still deserved them.  🤗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1