Med cruise early October

ozzysdad

Can any experienced autumn cruisers to the Med shed any light on the weather around the Med in the month of October, will we get many opportunities to tan, out of Southampton on the 9th out to Livorno and back with the usual stop offs, done a repositioning at the end of October through the med but was hoping we had a better chance of sun three weeks earlier.

It's not a game changer but I'd prefer it to be pleasant and warm outside, I have googled it but through past experience would rather seek advice from those who've been there and done it. TIA

3 minutes ago, ozzysdad said:

Can any experienced autumn cruisers to the Med shed any light on the weather around the Med in the month of October, will we get many opportunities to tan, out of Southampton on the 9th out to Livorno and back with the usual stop offs, done a repositioning at the end of October through the med but was hoping we had a better chance of sun three weeks earlier.

It's not a game changer but I'd prefer it to be pleasant and warm outside, I have googled it but through past experience would rather seek advice from those who've been there and done it. TIA

We used to go to the med late Sept/early October regularly, we always found the weather to be generally good, the first couple of days could be cooler as could be the last couple but warm once you get further south. The Bay of Biscay could be a bit choppy as sometimes you would get the tail end of the hurricanes traversing the Atlantic. I am sure there will be people who will have had different experiences with the weather.

• Like 1

My own experience of living close to the Med is that October is normally a great month - sunny, warm days, but getting cool in the evenings.

BUT, we've also experienced some cold, wet Octobers as well - you should be OK, but as always with any weather question, nothing is certain.

• Like 1

I’ve had some lovely cruises to the Med at the beginning of October. I wouldn’t worry about the Bay of Biscay as it can be like glass or lumpy at any time of the year.

The plus side of cruising at that time of year is that the ports tend to be quieter and with slightly cooler temperatures it makes exploring much more comfortable.

The only downside IMO is the sun disappears a bit earlier than in high summer......

Enjoy......

• Like 1

I suggest where in the Med is an important point.  We took a one week Azamara cruise from Barcelona to Civitavecchia mid October last year, with stays at both ends and we were in port every day.  Pleasant weather most of the time, but noticeably warmer in Rome than Barcelona.  The route took us around the coast of France etc. with the only Island visited being Elba.  We spent two days in Civitavechia and the second was just a really heavy down poor that genuinely did last all day, though previous day was quite good.  The ship could not get into one of the French ports, but Marseille was used as a replacement, which was a disappointment as it is a much bigger conurbation, so less enjoyable.  We have also sailed through the Med to Suez a few years back, leaving Liverpool on the 14th October, with just a few ports along that part of the route and it did not warm up until we reached Crete, which was pleasant and dry, but not hot summer weather by any means.  Quite a bit of showery weather elsewhere, even Malta and Cadiz.   

We have often holidayed on land in those months and found that to be much as we would have expected, with generally quite good weather, but storms/rain can occur.  I would expect the more southerly regions of Spain and Tunisia for instance to be a bit better.  Shipboard will be different though as the Bay can be getting rougher on average and of course what is a good day ashore, can be somewhat breezy on a ship, unless you can find a very sheltered place to sunbathe.

Just my opinion, but must say that is often coupled with cheaper cruises at that time of year, and cheaper still as the year progresses.  Often some good last minute prices as well, but not sure that would work with P&O, who are of course well known for giving the best prices on release of the cruises.  Basically I would say you get what you pay for, though ports could be getting quieter as well, which is another great plus from our point of view.  The only summer cruise we have done left the UK on 31st August and the weather got noticeably better as we entered the Med and converse when we left it.  Still quite good weather for the Med ports on that one, as well as Lisbon, but not overpoweringly so. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ozzysdad said:

Early October is the best time in the med.

A lot less humidity but still high 70s.

It is near the end of the holiday season so some good sales in the resort's in our experience.

• Like 2

We often cruise to the Med end in October or November and find that it is still comfortably warm.  I actually prefer that time of the year because the ports are quieter so we can stroll around and visit shops because a lot fewer tourists.  I buy nearly all of my sandals for the next year in the sales in the Spanish and Italian ports.

• Like 3