When will next round of cancellations be announced?

Zuluboudreaux

I don't know when, but I fully expect this summers Legend's European cruises to be on the chopping block. While they are not under the jurisdiction of the CDC, I do expect it just due to that fact that nearly every one of them 8 days and longer. Also Since the majority of the passengers are going to be from the US, the logistics of getting everyone getting to over there with all travel restrictions  increases the pressure to cancel sooner rather than later

We are scheduled to be on the Legend out of Dover England on July for a 12 day cruise. All I have payed is the deposit and I'm holding out on paying the rest until the final due date(in April),. Even then My wife and I are thinking about Calling out PVP and see if we could get it moved the exact same cruise on the Pride in 2022.  I'm probably going to wait until the very last moment to buy airline tickets because I don't want to have tickets(that cost almost as much as the cruise) for a flight to a cruise that isn't happening. After learning the hard way in 2020 that travel insurance doesn't include pandemics(yes its in the fine print, even before this mess started), I can't count on it to recoup the cost of the airfare. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Zuluboudreaux said:

We have a cruise booked out of NOLA in March 2021.

We had the final payment date extended to 1/8/21

Don’t really want to tie up more money on pending cruises as 5 have already been cancelled.

Will March cancellations be announced before 1/8/21?

No they won't be announced that soon. Most likely March will be canceled around January 21st when a new CDC director takes over and a new administration in the US get behind the wheel. Then you will see March, April, and May hit all at once.

• Like 3

Did not book through Carnival.  Had a cruise leaving 4/3/21 out of Miami.  Final payment was yesterday.  We canceled because we didn’t want to tie up anymore money.  We were offered to move it to 2022.  Doesn’t sound like they have confidence in 2021.  Makes me so sad.😢

So I just Paid in full my March 14th Cruise out of New Orleans and I fully Expect it to be cancelled. If for some reason it isn't it will be an experience being one of the 1st 2 cruise out of new Orleans. Lets see what happens. 

10 hours ago, Moviela said:

Fiscal 2118. It is already listed in the hitch hiker's guide to the Milky Way.

I'm not trying to be pendantic -I thought what you posted was funny- but did you mean The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Loved the books, hated the television series.  I feel the same about the Terry Pratchet stuff.  

12 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

No they won't be announced that soon. Most likely March will be canceled around January 21st when a new CDC director takes over and a new administration in the US get behind the wheel. Then you will see March, April, and May hit all at once.

I hope you are right about the "spring" cancellations hitting at once.  It would be convenient to find out sooner than later.  We have an 8-day cruise booked for early May.  Last week, when I emailed my TA about removing two of our kids from the reservation, she immediately called me back and advised me to wait on removing them. She said If I do it now, I will incur the cancellation fees on them, but if I wait until the end of January, more than likely the cruise is going to be cancelled (obviously, no fees involved) or altered and the cruise line will not be penalizing anyone who removes people from the reservation. 

Since NCL just cancelled through the end of March, I expect Carnival, Royal and MSC to follow.  NCL was usually the first to announce the cancellations. I just wish Carnival would announce what it was doing with Europe 2021, but I already booked summer, 2022 in Europe as a hedge.

So I made final payment on my cruise for March 14th 2021 out of New Orleans today as I received the email advising if I did not I would be subject to the cancelation penalties (my deposit lost). I attempted to extend final payment as I know without question it would be canceled in the coming weeks. Carnival will only extend final payment 14 days now, last cancelled cruise they allowed me to extend to 30 days out. Anyway, my thought is they are hoping people cancel and if there is a penalty it is free money for them. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silent Penguin said:

I hope you are right about the "spring" cancellations hitting at once.  It would be convenient to find out sooner than later.  We have an 8-day cruise booked for early May.  Last week, when I emailed my TA about removing two of our kids from the reservation, she immediately called me back and advised me to wait on removing them. She said If I do it now, I will incur the cancellation fees on them, but if I wait until the end of January, more than likely the cruise is going to be cancelled (obviously, no fees involved) or altered and the cruise line will not be penalizing anyone who removes people from the reservation. 

Carnival has a past of cancelling 30 to 60 days at the most. Like other cruiselines they wait until people have made final payment. Personally I'd say no chance may will be cancelled this month. They want to keep their cash flowing. There is no incentive to cancelling may early before you make final payment. 

I'm april 25th and everyone says no chance I'll go. But I dont expect to know until end of January at the very earliest, though anything is possible, they could cancel 2 months, but 3 months? Even more unlikely. As said ncl cancelled thru the end of march today. I'd expect by next week other lines to do the same. Patience  

17 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So the announcements will happen when the corporation is ready to make them, and although we can guess or hypothesize, it really is relatively unknowable.

Rcl posters are guessing follow the leader and by the end of next week, the rest will follow ncl and cancel thru the end of march. What one line does the others usually do. We might not know the exact date but I think that's a good guess. 

So far, most of my cancelled cruises have been before final payment was due and a couple were after final payment so that busts the false theory that Carnival always waits until after final payment for some sort of cash scam. One of the paid for cruises would have been last summer, so really, there was no choice on that one.

16 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

So far, most of my cancelled cruises have been before final payment was due and a couple were after final payment so that busts the false theory that Carnival always waits until after final payment for some sort of cash scam. One of the paid for cruises would have been last summer, so really, there was no choice on that one.

Who said carnival always waits until past final payment? I missed that post. I think I may have said they wait until past some final payments to maximize their cash flow. I also believe they will follow ncl lead and cancel march soon.

I don't see anyone using words like "always" they do this or that, but rather generally they follow what others are doing. Dont think there is even time to get in mock cruises and inspections by march 1st, so I dont see much choice about cancelling march. ...and I think they have known for a while march will be cancelled but delayed to hold onto monies longer to help their bottom line.

They say never say never ...same goes for words like always.

• Like 1