Champagne Choices

tnt10

Since the "search" function doesn't seem to work on these boards for me, can anyone tell me what the choices for champagne have been when on the Premium beverage package when traveling in a suite?  Won't be traveling until 2022 on the Apex, but what ever is included now can give me a clue as to what might be offered in the future.

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, tnt10 said:

Since the "search" function doesn't seem to work on these boards for me, can anyone tell me what the choices for champagne have been when on the Premium beverage package when traveling in a suite?  Won't be traveling until 2022 on the Apex, but what ever is included now can give me a clue as to what might be offered in the future.

Thanks!

From 2019, lot of scrolling but a lot of drink menus

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/celebrity-drink-lists/

8 hours ago, tnt10 said:

Thanks!

This is from the Celebrity web site under premium drinks package: Champagnes and favorite wines such as Cherry Tart Pinot Noir, Conundrums, Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon, Ferrari-Carano Fumé Blanc, J&H Selbach Riesling Kabinett, Mer Soleil Chardonnay, Michael David Petite Petit red, and Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/beverage-package-flyer-optimized.pdf

Basically it's any wine or champagne priced up to $15/glass.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

This is from the Celebrity web site under premium drinks package: Champagnes and favorite wines such as Cherry Tart Pinot Noir, Conundrums, Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon, Ferrari-Carano Fumé Blanc, J&H Selbach Riesling Kabinett, Mer Soleil Chardonnay, Michael David Petite Petit red, and Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/beverage-package-flyer-optimized.pdf

Basically it's any wine or champagne priced up to $15/glass.

Haig scotch and Jack Daniels products being described as premium whiskies... Good grief!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, tnt10 said:

Thanks!

I believe the only actual Champagne covered by the premium package is a Montaudon Brut NV 

The below menus are from 2019 so fairly up to date but are from UK sailings so include tip - the premium package limit is $18 for the UK ie $15 plus 20% tip

MDR

1948485971_MDRWineglass1.thumb.jpg.c77c92ccea61972ff7c9731d11378004.jpg

Cellar Masters

7977654_Cellar1.thumb.jpg.db005f25670dd4bc0e141cba9b6a5954.jpg

• Thanks 1

You might find a champagne served in the Retreat but as others have said, in other parts of the ship there will be an upcharge. The Chandon listed on Groryjm post, is from the house of Moet & Chandon, but it cannot be called a champagne because it is not from the champagne region of France, but Napa Valley. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire-Pudding said:

You might find a champagne served in the Retreat but as others have said, in other parts of the ship there will be an upcharge. The Chandon listed on Groryjm post, is from the house of Moet & Chandon, but it cannot be called a champagne because it is not from the champagne region of France, but Napa Valley. 

@Yorkshire-Pudding you are right in that the Chandon isn't a Champagne but it was the Montaudon Brut NV that is included in the Premium that I was highlighting. Which while only a NV and not to the same quality as the Perrier Jouet also available as an upcharge, it is most definately from Champage in France....http://champagnemontaudon.com/en/ 

I was on the last full sailing prior to the suspension and  Montaudon Brut NV that is included in the Premium was readily available in the Retreat and Luminae.   On one sailing they didn't have it in Retreat but when I said I was served it in Luminae the bar tender got it stocked for the rest of the cruise.  Make sure to ask for what you want or you will get the house sparkling crap.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I have found that champagnes/sparkling wines on board to be highly variable depending on the ship and the itinerary.

Not only did the selection vary according to sailing location, but throw out all the old menus as beverage selection went out for rebid in the USA and many changes can be expected.

Lots of higher end Napa wines are not available and X has always tried to offer regional wines.

2 hours ago, Yorkshire-Pudding said:

The Chandon listed on Groryjm post, is from the house of Moet & Chandon, but it cannot be called a champagne because it is not from the champagne region of France, but Napa Valley. 

Correct -- it's sparkling wine, produced in California and therefore not properly called champagne, but it is produced according to the traditional method used in Champagne.   I think that Chandon is quite drinkable, especially for its relatively modest price point.  My wife and I in particular enjoy their Blanc de Noirs.

I'll also echo comments above that the Montaudon we've had on Celebrity as part of the Premium package has been quite good.

Edited by Turtles06

Moet & Chandon is the biggest selling champagne in the UK, so the house does not sell Chandon here but I did enjoy it after having it on Celebrity so much so, that on our last Royal Caribbean sailing we drank Chandon daily because with the 40% discount (had the drinks package) , it was cheaper to buy a bottle at dinner than pay per glass for those in my party without alcoholic drink packages.

Can't comment on the Montaudon, not tried it.

My apologies for not being specific.  As a resident of the Napa Valley, I should have used the term "Champagne/Sparkling Wine" instead of just champagne.

Interestingly, the Domaine Chandon Brut is rated higher on average than the Montaudon Brut.

As everyone has opined, I will ask once onboard as to what my possible choices will be, and decide after a "tasting" of my own....

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tnt10 said:

My apologies for not being specific.  As a resident of the Napa Valley, I should have used the term "Champagne/Sparkling Wine" instead of just champagne.

Interestingly, the Domaine Chandon Brut is rated higher on average than the Montaudon Brut.

As everyone has opined, I will ask once onboard as to what my possible choices will be, and decide after a "tasting" of my own....

Thanks everyone.

Are you familiar with Celani Family Vineyards in Napa?  Friends sent us half a case of a fantastic red blend; 70% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc, very very good if you like a red.

17 hours ago, tnt10 said:

Thanks everyone.

No need to apologize! I think many of us outside of France commonly use the term champagne and not sparkling wine.  I will have champagne tomorrow evening to celebrate the end of the BRUT-al year called 2020.  Even if the champagne is from California.  😄

• Haha 1

I do like the Montaudon brut champagne served and different venues on the ship.But don’t mind paying a little extra for Domain  Carneros rose sparkling wine (we have been members there for years) ! Luminae last year this sommelier new  that our table of four liked it I would have a bottle chilled to the side. A few nights she just comped it because we were leaving her A little extra$$

I can be a bit of a wine snob (you don't want to see my Cellar Tracker!), and this thread is about what's available on the ship, which is of course incredibly limiting, but I'm pretty much an equal opportunity type when it comes to sparkling wine.

Outside what I'll call the "really good stuff", and from what I've seen there are a lot of smaller houses in Champagne that make great wines in small quantities that are as good or better than any of the better known Champagnes, in 2020, there are great sparkling wines all over the world. We were actually shocked this fall at an amazing Blanc de Chardonnay Brut (Pinot Noir doesn't grow in Virginia) from here in Virginia (readily available in 375ml bottles, which is even better for just two of us)!

For instance, everyone knows Prosecco, but Franciacorta is a lot harder to find in the US, but is made with traditional Champagne grapes by the traditional (in bottle fermentation) method. Same for Cava from Spain. California and now Washington make some very nice sparklers, and Chandon in California gets great reviews, certainly as good or better than mid-priced Champagne.

Of course, unlike Bordeaux blends, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, and Rhone varietals, I just never developed a palate for most sparkling wines and will accept almost anything decent!

My wife swears by this Champagne alternative called Cremant.

Her favourite being Cremant de Loire.

Won plenty of awards,,,read about it here....

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjZ6aaYvvbtAhWoaRUIHVTDBCwQFjAAegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwinefolly.com%2Fdeep-dive%2Fcremant-wine%2F&usg=AOvVaw18BQDjkO6RLpIaYccKvEsQ

You have to be specific on Celebrity,if you ask for Champagne they have often served her Prosecco.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

3 hours ago, markeb said:

We were actually shocked this fall at an amazing Blanc de Chardonnay Brut (Pinot Noir doesn't grow in Virginia) from here in Virginia (readily available in 375ml bottles, which is even better for just two of us)!

I love when surprises like that happen!  Can you please tell us the vineyard?

On 12/29/2020 at 11:11 AM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not only did the selection vary according to sailing location, but throw out all the old menus as beverage selection went out for rebid in the USA and many changes can be expected.

Lots of higher end Napa wines are not available and X has always tried to offer regional wines.

When can we expect to see new menus, do you think?  I found the drink menu on the website.  I was hoping to find the wine list.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I love when surprises like that happen!  Can you please tell us the vineyard?

The wine is NV Thibaut-Janisson Blanc de Chardonnay Brut. Thibaut-Janisson is the winery, near Monticello/Charlottesville. Our local wine shop brought it in for a weekend tasting a couple of months ago. It's a little overpriced, like all Virginia wines, but it was surprisingly good, especially for a pure chardonnay based Brut (Pinot Noir isn't a real thing here, although the winery does have a Blanc de Noirs that is supposed to be 60% Virginia fruit; now I'm going to have to search for Virginia Pinot Noirs out of curiosity).

• Thanks 1