Where are the test cruises?

6 hours ago, orville99 said:

They're doing that every day that one of their ships is in port already. The current re-provisioning activities go largely unnoticed by anyone not directly involved in the process. It's not difficult to become "invisible" when you establish a week after week process hiding in plain sight.

You didn't include my comment about "hard to hide cruise passengers arriving at the port".  All of a sudden hundreds of cars showing up at the port during abnormal times when port employees don't normally show up.  Even more so if they utilize buses.

Remember all it takes is someone in condo overlooking the port to see additional activity.

Also keep in mind the ship has to dock somewhere outside of the US.

There are many people that could leak the information with little risk of repercussions.

Mind you "test cruises" is a broad term.  I don't doubt that there may be some "test cruises" which may be utilizing the skeleton crew to test check-in procedures, restaurant's serving procedures, etc.  But until actual passengers are involved they aren't true test cruises.

In the IT world using the crew as first testee's would be called Alpha testing

Adding the the passengers for short test cruise would be Beta testing.

The latter is what I would call true "test cruises".

Also keep in mind that if they want to ramp up staffing they will need to apply for the appropriate visa's for the crew.  I am not sure, but I am thinking that this would be a matter of public records.

2 hours ago, gatour said:

You didn't include my comment about "hard to hide cruise passengers arriving at the port".  All of a sudden hundreds of cars showing up at the port during abnormal times when port employees don't normally show up.  Even more so if they utilize buses.

Remember all it takes is someone in condo overlooking the port to see additional activity.

Also keep in mind the ship has to dock somewhere outside of the US.

There are many people that could leak the information with little risk of repercussions.

Mind you "test cruises" is a broad term.  I don't doubt that there may be some "test cruises" which may be utilizing the skeleton crew to test check-in procedures, restaurant's serving procedures, etc.  But until actual passengers are involved they aren't true test cruises.

In the IT world using the crew as first testee's would be called Alpha testing

Adding the the passengers for short test cruise would be Beta testing.

The latter is what I would call true "test cruises".

Also keep in mind that if they want to ramp up staffing they will need to apply for the appropriate visa's for the crew.  I am not sure, but I am thinking that this would be a matter of public records.

Not disagreeing with you at all. Testing is to meet the cdc requirements already underway.

3 hours ago, sandebeach said:

I got my flu shot at CVS through their Minute Clinic, which is their mini-urgent care office at CVS. The clinics are run by Nurse Practitioners. Scheduled our appointment online, went to CVS and got our flu shots. Very efficient. Would like to get our Covid vaccine done the same way. 

And who do you then call at 2 AM when that CVS nurse practitioner is sound asleep at home in bed and you think you are having a reaction? Your doctor?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And who do you then call at 2 AM when that CVS nurse practitioner is sound asleep at home in bed and you think you are having a reaction? Your doctor?

Aren’t reactions usually 15 minutes after receiving the vaccine? At the Broward County drive-through sites, you sit in a parking area for 15 minutes after getting the shot. A few EMTs are monitoring all the cars. 911 is called if there is an emergency. I would much rather be sitting in a clinic office than sitting in my car. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandebeach said:

I got my flu shot at CVS through their Minute Clinic, which is their mini-urgent care office at CVS. The clinics are run by Nurse Practitioners. Scheduled our appointment online, went to CVS and got our flu shots. Very efficient. Would like to get our Covid vaccine done the same way. 

That makes absolute sense given that their Minute Clinics are Urgent Care facilities. If that's what is meant when CVS says it's going to administer Covid vaccines then that makes sense. But I just don't see how the three major US drugstore chains are going to administer Covid vaccines anytime soon. Jan. 2022,yeah, maybe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandebeach said:

We don't have minute Clinics here too many urgent care places to compete with. I did get my last two flu shots at CVS. I filled out everything online and made an appointment. Many don't bother to do that so I just jumped the line when I arrived for my appointment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sandebeach said:

I get my annual flu shot at Publix.  Shop for groceries....then go over and get a stab.  😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

I get my annual flu shot at Publix.  Shop for groceries....then go over and get a stab.  😉 

I am thrilled to say hubby and I just got our first dose of the Pfizer. vaccine. It was a drive-through vaccination site at Markham Park in Broward County. Our appointment was for 2:41 PM, but we got there early. We were in line for about 50 minutes before getting vaccinated. We then had to stay parked in one of the blocked-off lanes for 30 minutes because hubby is on an anticoagulant. But I am so happy we got our first dose. 

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I am thrilled to say hubby and I just got our first dose of the Pfizer. vaccine. It was a drive-through vaccination site at Markham Park in Broward County. Our appointment was for 2:41 PM, but we got there early. We were in line for about 50 minutes before getting vaccinated. We then had to stay parked in one of the blocked-off lanes for 30 minutes because hubby is on an anticoagulant. But I am so happy we got our first dose. 

That is great!!  My appointment is for 3:30 on the 14th here in Brevard.  I have no idea how early I need to get in line, drive through as well.  I think it is the Moderna.  I wish I could get another appointment for the second shot.  My sister (doctor) got the Pfizer.  Had some side affects as in flu like, but only lasted a couple of days.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Great to hear, I have an appointment at Markham Park on Friday. It was good to get a first hand account.

Mary

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

Great to hear, I have an appointment at Markham Park on Friday. It was good to get a first hand account.

Mary

We also got scheduled for our 2nd shot, 3 weeks later. But she said we could come earlier that day if we wanted to arrive earlier. 

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

That is great!!  My appointment is for 3:30 on the 14th here in Brevard.  I have no idea how early I need to get in line, drive through as well.  I think it is the Moderna.  I wish I could get another appointment for the second shot.  My sister (doctor) got the Pfizer.  Had some side affects as in flu like, but only lasted a couple of days.  

Glad to hear your sister only had a few days of side effects. We got our appointment right when vaccinated, we come back in 3 weeks. Have to bring the Covid vaccination card that they gave us. Oh also, three different people checked our ID, maybe to verify our identity and also that we were 65+. So bring your ID and your signed consent forms. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Aren’t reactions usually 15 minutes after receiving the vaccine? At the Broward County drive-through sites, you sit in a parking area for 15 minutes after getting the shot. A few EMTs are monitoring all the cars. 911 is called if there is an emergency. I would much rather be sitting in a clinic office than sitting in my car. 

Yes, allergic reactions are usually in the first 15-20 minutes.  My understanding is they are having people stick around to ensure no reaction.  Heck, my dad who always thought he had a raw egg allergy didn't get a flu shot for years.  His Dr finally told him he should try it and he gave it to him and had him stay in the office for about 15 min to ensure no reaction.  He didn't have one.

Also, allergic reactions are very, very rare and are to the inert ingredients in the vaccine, not the vaccine itself.  My DIL got her shot on Sat with no reaction.  She's an RN.  Everyone I know who has gotten it so far had no problems at all (ages 32-80).  Most are Dr's and RN's.  The rest are 75+.

Still waiting to see how VA is going to handle the shots.  CVS more than likely and I'd just as soon they do drive through, but my understanding is more than likely appointments to prevent long lines and crowds.  I'm only 60 with no health issues.  DH is 63 with asthma and type II diabetes so he'll get his before me.  He was told just to keep checking the state website.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, island lady said:

That's the reaction I had with both Shringrex shots.  I'd happily take that reaction to get immunity.

• Like 3

Florida Governor just announced a contract with Publix to give vaccines at select Publix stores in Citrus, Marion and Hernando County. He also defended allowing “snowbirds” to get vaccinated because of all they contribute to Florida. 

No luck in Pinellas County. Website to register for a vaccine was opened at 12 noon yesterday. By 12:15 the website was down and never came back up. Now this is on the website:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining the COVID-19 vaccine at the Florida Department of Health in Pinellas County. At this time, we are not accepting new appointments, as we have scheduled for our existing stocks of vaccine. Once additional doses of vaccine are received, we will open the reservations system to the public again.

Wonder how the appointments were filled if no one could access the site to make an appointment? At this time, no other facilities in Pinellas are giving the vaccine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

No side affects here with 3 family members getting PZ. The boss, her brother, and my son. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lr657 said:

No luck in Pinellas County. Website to register for a vaccine was opened at 12 noon yesterday. By 12:15 the website was down and never came back up. Now this is on the website:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining the COVID-19 vaccine at the Florida Department of Health in Pinellas County. At this time, we are not accepting new appointments, as we have scheduled for our existing stocks of vaccine. Once additional doses of vaccine are received, we will open the reservations system to the public again.

Wonder how the appointments were filled if no one could access the site to make an appointment? At this time, no other facilities in Pinellas are giving the vaccine. 

Aren't you in the first group?  Healthcare?

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Sorta. I’m sad after I got the letter from the VA.  I’m not planning to jump any lines. Just not my style. 

Maybe the boss and the rest of your family will send you pics of the Suite Lounge while they are on their cruises😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Regarding the original question, I believe the test cruises will be delayed until a time closer to when they can actually sail with paying passengers.

That is, why test cruise in Jan if they won’t truly sail until April?

If they feel the paying passengers will be allowed in April, I believe the test cruises will be in early March.  

If if they feel the paying passengers will be allow in June, then test cruises in early May.

UK is back to full stay in place order tomorrow (Jan 6) thru end of January, but the experts say it will most likely last till end of February.  UK is in a mess (severe emergency) right now, and the sad news is.....they feel it may be the same here in US in a month.  

So just an opinion, and we are allowed to disagree, but I believe they will purposely slow down test cruises until this Covid wave is under control, most likely as a result of vaccine being received by a bunch of us.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine appears to be targeting for distribution early January.  I have no idea why the AstraZeneca vaccine is now supposedly pushed off to April.  $3 a dose, keeps in a regular refrigerator, approved in U.K., India and others....so what is the US holdup? 

Eddie

26 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It seems dangerous to delay the test cruises just to delay them since there's always a chance the CDC doesn't like your results and makes you do it again. 

Agree, which is why I suggest test cruise early in the prior month.

But also equally dangerous to do test cruises too early, just to have them change the required protocol after the test is complete, requiring another test round.

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

My hospital is using both vaccines and has not noticed a big difference in reactions between the two. I have heard only minor reactions and they have been few. No major reactions so far. Some people couldn't even tell they got the shot, not even a sore arm. This is the first week that some will be getting their second shot. It will be interesting to see how it goes. 

• Thanks 1