Negative Covid pre test required before departing for NZ from US & Uk

As from Jan 15 a negative Covid test will be required before boarding a plane to NZ. This is in addition to having a pre paid booking in a recognised isolation facility .

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/433968/covid-19-uk-and-us-travellers-to-need-pre-departure-tests-before-departing-to-nz

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer
  • Like 2

Seems unbelievable that it took so long, even more so that Australia hasn’t done the same.

But then, could catch it after the test, so isolation would still be needed as an additional precaution. Then there should be a test prior to release from isolation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

As from Jan 15 a negative Covid test will be required before boarding a plane to NZ. This is in addition to having a pre paid booking in a recognised isolation facility .

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/433968/covid-19-uk-and-us-travellers-to-need-pre-departure-tests-before-departing-to-nz

Thanks David.  I notice tests will be conducted on days 1, 3 and 12 which is an extra protection. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Well, they have had plenty of time and adequate warning to return.

but then in all fairness , who ever  thought it would grow to these proportions ?

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

but then in all fairness , who ever  thought it would grow to these proportions ?

Well by March or April I think many had a pretty good idea of what was ahead of us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Well by March or April I think many had a pretty good idea of what was ahead of us.

But by then it was already becoming difficult to get on flights back to Aus and NZ, and that situation wasn't helped by greedy airlines who bumped economy class passengers off flights in favour of those who were prepared to pay business class fares.

Also remember that arrival numbers have been severely restricted due to the need for quarantine after arrival. 

Samoa is tightening their entry requirements 

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/434002/samoa-tightens-entry-terms-because-of-new-virus-strain

Samoa is now banning travellers transiting through 13 countries, including Australia, Singapore, South Korea, Japan and Canada.

Last week, Samoa banned all travellers from Britain and South Africa because of the emergence of the new B.1.1.7 strain.

Restrictions are also in force for recovered Covid-19 travellers who have to defer travel for six months after their infection.

To be able to travel, they must pass three tests seven days apart and take another Covid-19 test five days before their departure.

According to the Ministry of Health, pre-departure testing rules also apply to flight and sea crews.

The Ministry, which signs off the travel requirements, also reserves the right to increase quarantine from 14 to 21 days.

Nearly 300 stranded Samoan sailors are expected to travel home on a special repatriation flight on 22 January.

Their fate is unclear as some of the sailors had been reported to have contracted Covid-19 while stranded in Europe.

Samoa is among the few countries which have remained free of Covid-19.

5 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

They've already been and gone home (USA)  again (and paid the $4k quarantine fee). I didn't say they wanted to come to NZ at this stage  my point is that is why its taken so long for the government to move on this because for many countries it basically shuts the doors to NZ citizens 

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Samoa is tightening their entry requirements 

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/434002/samoa-tightens-entry-terms-because-of-new-virus-strain

Samoa is now banning travellers transiting through 13 countries, including Australia, Singapore, South Korea, Japan and Canada.

Last week, Samoa banned all travellers from Britain and South Africa because of the emergence of the new B.1.1.7 strain.

Restrictions are also in force for recovered Covid-19 travellers who have to defer travel for six months after their infection.

To be able to travel, they must pass three tests seven days apart and take another Covid-19 test five days before their departure.

According to the Ministry of Health, pre-departure testing rules also apply to flight and sea crews.

The Ministry, which signs off the travel requirements, also reserves the right to increase quarantine from 14 to 21 days.

Nearly 300 stranded Samoan sailors are expected to travel home on a special repatriation flight on 22 January.

Their fate is unclear as some of the sailors had been reported to have contracted Covid-19 while stranded in Europe.

Samoa is among the few countries which have remained free of Covid-19.

Good news that Samoa has remained covid free.  A local Samoan recently told me their church has church every day, separated into attendance by different family groups.  What an excellent idea for big family groups. 

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I would want the same day for any church, anywhere.

Number of people who can attend church is limited, and Samoan people are great churchgoers.  My Catholic girlfriend said people have to book and be signed in at her church, in this new covid normal world.  

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Number of people who can attend church is limited, and Samoan people are great churchgoers.  My Catholic girlfriend said people have to book and be signed in at her church, in this new covid normal world.  

Yep churches are restricted to the 4sqm (now 2 I think) rule and many churches are requiring attendees to “book in” by Saturday so they can knock some back if needs be.

15 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

My parish church, St Bernards, Batehaven - the only catholic church in the area, requires the faithful to prebook a seat for masses, normally 3 masses a day. This time of year it is full to overflowing normally with both locals and many, many tourists. It is a 400 seat church, what are they limited to 2sq m rule, probably 100 people, if that.

Edited by NSWP

55 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

My local place of worship is outdoors, we can have up to 2000 people but generally get by with around 22 on the field at a time, with the others waiting to get a swap in.

I believe in GOD - Goals Over Defence.

Likewise mine is also outdoors, but on water.  Often <1 person per square kilometre.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

My local place of worship is outdoors, we can have up to 2000 people but generally get by with around 22 on the field at a time, with the others waiting to get a swap in.

I believe in GOD - Goals Over Defence.

Mic...You worship 'The World Game.'  Vale Gerry Marsden, you'll never walk alone, Gerry.

I saw Gerry and the Pacemakers live at Dapto Leagues club, around 1974 when they were on their Aussie Tour. Great group.

Edited by NSWP