New Year Guess to Sail Start to Oceania Ships

GICNJC

With time on my hand with the New Year’s Holidays, and forced to stay at home, I thought I would provide my best guess as to when Oceania will again be sailing.  In the summer I had predicted that we would not be sailing until the new year.  Again, it is a just a best guess, but it is my educated guess based on the following public multi sourced information, including current travel bans:

Warning, this is a long read.

1.       CDC requirements for ships to fulfil before be able to start taking paying clients up and no more than 7 day cruises.

2.       The ban on cruise ships and/or travelers in countries with Oceania scheduled ports.

3.       That non-US countries will allow cruises more than 7 days.

4.       Assumption that vaccines are as effective in the general population as they were in drug trials.

5.       As of writing, there are 49 countries who have banned travelers and/or require a 5-to-14-day isolation period on arrival.

6.       US Government will not change the Jones act that requires a cruise line to stop in a foreign port before returning to the US.

7.       To receive the CDC OK to sail process will take a minimum of 75 to 90 days. At some point all the ships require this CDC process unless they wait out the current CDC order (which may or may not be extended again)

MARINA (Currently at Piombino, Italy, Mediterranean) 

Projected first 2021 Cruise:  July 19,2021 – Stockholm to Copenhagen

Unless Oceania returns to US for CDC certification, and assuming the Northern European/Baltic closure to foreign travelers is not lifted until July, Marina will not be allowed to return to US without a break in cruising.

Possible factors that may affect this start: 

1.       Norther European/Baltic tourist ban ending early.

2.       Russia not being able to overcome the COVID infection.

3.       Oceania repositioning the ship to Central/South America

RIVIERA (currently at Civitavecchia, Italy, Mediterranean)

Projected first 2021 Cruise:  Fall to winter

Unless Oceania returns to US for CDC certification, and assuming the European closure to foreign travelers is not lifted until September/October, it is possible Riviera will not be sailing in 2021.

1.       European tourist ban ending early.

2.       Oceania changing the repositioning from Mediterranean.

REGATTA (Currently at Astoria Oregon west coast of USA)

Projected first 2021 Cruise:  July 29, 2021-Seattle to Seattle

The only Oceania ship that has passed two of the three CDC requirements (Oceania other ships have not passed any of the three requirements) before it can take on paying customers.  As Canadian has banned all foreign travelers and does not expect this ban to be lifted before sometime this summer at the earliest, there will be no Alaska voyages before July due to the Jones Act.

1.       Canadian ban ending early or later.

2.       Oceania changing the positioning of Regatta from Alaska to another area of the world.

INSIGNIA (currently located at Willemsat, Curacao – Southern Caribbean)

Projected first 2021 Cruise:  July 9, 2021 – New York to New York

To sail to or from US, Insignia must pass the three stage CDC requirements.  She will probably have to modify her sailing after that date, but most of Central and South America are open for travelers.

1.       European or/and Canadian ban ending early or later.

NAUTICA (currently at Genoa Italy (Mediterranean)

Projected first 2021 Cruise:  Nov 2, 2021- Rome to Istanbul

To sail to or from US, Nautica must pass the three stage CDC requirements.  I suspect she will attempt to do this once the NCL ships have complete their turn.  The long period between now and November allows them to pass the CDC requirements, and if Europe opens sooner, they could do some earlier Mediterranean or Caribbean cruises.

1.       European ban ending early or later.

SIRENA (currently La Spezia, Italy, Mediterranean)

Projected first 2021 Cruise:  July 15, 2021 – Reykjavik to Copenhagen

Assuming Oceania pull Sirena back between now and July to pass the CDC requirements, this July cruise will probably be a go,

1.       UK ban ending early or later.

The purpose is not to discourage individual to loose hope their cruise is a go.  It is to take information that is available and project that information into the future.  We have already had one cruise cancelled and are hoping our next one this summer is a go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GICNJC said:

With time on my hand with the New Year’s Holidays, and forced to stay at home, I thought I would provide my best guess as to when Oceania will again be sailing.  In the summer I had predicted that we would not be sailing until the new year.  Again, it is a just a best guess, but it is my educated guess based on the following public multi sourced information, including current travel bans:

1.       CDC requirements for ships to fulfil before be able to start taking paying clients up and no more than 7 day cruises.

2.       The ban on cruise ships and/or travelers in countries with Oceania scheduled ports.

4.       Assumption that vaccines are as effective in the general population as they were in drug trials.

5.       As of writing, there are 49 countries who have banned travelers and/or require a 5-to-14-day isolation period on arrival.

6.       US Government will not change the Jones act that requires a cruise line to stop in a foreign port before returning to the US.

7.       To receive the CDC OK to sail process will take a minimum of 75 to 90 days. At some point all the ships require this CDC process unless they wait out the current CDC order (which may or may not be extended again)

Unless Oceania returns to US for CDC certification, and assuming the Northern European/Baltic closure to foreign travelers is not lifted until July, Marina will not be allowed to return to US without a break in cruising.

Unless Oceania returns to US for CDC certification, and assuming the European closure to foreign travelers is not lifted until September/October, it is possible Riviera will not be sailing in 2021.

The only Oceania ship that has passed two of the three CDC requirements (Oceania other ships have not passed any of the three requirements) before it can take on paying customers.  As Canadian has banned all foreign travelers and does not expect this ban to be lifted before sometime this summer at the earliest, there will be no Alaska voyages before July due to the Jones Act.

2.       Oceania changing the positioning of Regatta from Alaska to another area of the world.

To sail to or from US, Insignia must pass the three stage CDC requirements.  She will probably have to modify her sailing after that date, but most of Central and South America are open for travelers.

To sail to or from US, Nautica must pass the three stage CDC requirements.  I suspect she will attempt to do this once the NCL ships have complete their turn.  The long period between now and November allows them to pass the CDC requirements, and if Europe opens sooner, they could do some earlier Mediterranean or Caribbean cruises.

Assuming Oceania pull Sirena back between now and July to pass the CDC requirements, this July cruise will probably be a go,

The purpose is not to discourage individual to loose hope their cruise is a go.  It is to take information that is available and project that information into the future.  We have already had one cruise cancelled and are hoping our next one this summer is a go.

Jones Act is shipping. PVSA is cruise ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am sure the  exercise  kept you busy for  a few hours 

The ships will sail  when the time is right

Probably in the fall  or  maybe  not  until 2022

With cases rising daily  everywhere  who knows what the future holds

JMO

• Thanks 1

I am fairly sure our May 28th cruise from San Francisco to Alaska disembarking in Vancouver on the Regatta will not happen. If July is the starting date then more than likely Oceania and Alaska will be a no go entirely. 

I do think that our February 22 cruise on Sirena will happen and it gives us something to look forward to. Right now the future is bleak for our cruising passion.

Stay safe and if the majority of cruisers want to sail they will follow the health protocols and at the same time make life better for those around them.

And yes it is the PVSA which, unfortunately, makes cruising destinations to and from the US so ridiculously complicated. Repeal has only come up in Congress a few times. Maybe there's hope for its elimination too but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one either.

15 hours ago, GICNJC said:

Thanks for your interesting post. You are actually pretty optimistic! I am booked on Marina's Antarctic itinerary in early January 2022 and I have doubts whether that will go.

3 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

^ Indeed.

Regatta is the only Oceania ship with CDC Green Status which monitors ships's Covid response plan and allows commercial transportation of crew.

The list is on the CDC website and is updated weekly.

What other O ships are currently in US waters for them to monitor

5 hours ago, edgee said:

Thanks for your interesting post. You are actually pretty optimistic! I am booked on Marina's Antarctic itinerary in early January 2022 and I have doubts whether that will go.

Since you can't go ashore maybe they'll let those ships do the drive-by.

27 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

^ Indeed.

Regatta is the only Oceania ship with CDC Green Status which monitors ships's Covid response plan and allows commercial transportation of crew.

The list is on the CDC website and is updated weekly.

Thanks for giving the rationale.

6 minutes ago, clo said:

Since you can't go ashore maybe they'll let those ships do the drive-by.

This cruise has an amazing itinerary with lots of gorgeous places to go ashore, your reference to Antarctica notwithstanding.

55 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What other O ships are currently in US waters for them to monitor

As per the OP's post it would appear none are.

However, if any ship seeks to operate inside US waters under the CDC CSO Framework. they have to comply with all the requirements even when outside US waters. 

39 minutes ago, edgee said:

This cruise has an amazing itinerary with lots of gorgeous places to go ashore, your reference to Antarctica notwithstanding.

Oh, I'm sure. Ours did also (Chilean fjords, Falklands and more) but our ship had only 400 pax so we also got to go ashore multiple times. And out in zodiacs to so close to whales we could almost touch them.

59 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh, I'm sure. Ours did also (Chilean fjords, Falklands and more) but our ship had only 400 pax so we also got to go ashore multiple times. And out in zodiacs to so close to whales we could almost touch them.

Good for you, but don't see the point of your initial replay except to make a sarcastic comment about our planned cruise. 

17 minutes ago, edgee said:

Good for you, but don't see the point of your initial replay except to make a sarcastic comment about our planned cruise. 

I sincerely have no idea what is the "sarcastic comment." I'm assuming that you and everyone thinking about an Antarctic trip already knows about the limitations. I would never have wanted to make the trip other than how we did and others make the same decisions.

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

As per the OP's post it would appear none are.

However, if any ship seeks to operate inside US waters under the CDC CSO Framework. they have to comply with all the requirements even when outside US waters. 

Not sure if I agree with this, what’s the source?

The Nautica and Marina are currently in EU waters and I’m guessing that’s where they will resume service. While in those waters, they will have to obey EU requirements. By next December if the CDC isn’t happy with that, the Marina could by pass Miami on its return TA , drop passengers elsewhere and head on to SA. 

A lot will transpire between now and November or December. Is the Nautica even returning to US waters in the next couple of years? 

56 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Not sure if I agree with this, what’s the source?

The CDC website with the Green / Provisional Green / Red table listed.

It is in a paragraph a few above the table.

There is a link on the Carnival Forum in the thread with CDC green in the title.

56 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The Nautica and Marina are currently in EU waters and I’m guessing that’s where they will resume service. While in those waters, they will have to obey EU requirements. By next December if the CDC isn’t happy with that, the Marina could by pass Miami on its return TA , drop passengers elsewhere and head on to SA. 

A lot will transpire between now and November or December. Is the Nautica even returning to US waters in the next couple of years? 

I don't disagree.

Note however the wording.

Any ship seeking to operate in US waters must comply with all the requirements under the frame work of the Conditional Sailing Order even when outside US waters.

As the current expiry of the CSO is 1st Nov then as you say, they don't have to comply if staying outside US waters.

Combining Jan's post with the CDC list, it appears as if Regatta US operations are the first ones planned.

Edited by Tranquility Base

1 hour ago, clo said:

I sincerely have no idea what is the "sarcastic comment." I'm assuming that you and everyone thinking about an Antarctic trip already knows about the limitations. I would never have wanted to make the trip other than how we did and others make the same decisions.

All I said was that I am looking forward to the Antarctica cruise, but have my doubts about whether it will go due to Covid.  Totally irrelevant for you to raise he issue of the "limitations" other than to highlight that you touched land in Antartica and we will not be able to...and therefore imply that your trip was a better and likely more expensive one.

Edited by edgee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, edgee said:

All I said was that I am looking forward to the Antarctica cruise, but have my doubts about whether it will go due to Covid.  Totally irrelevant for you to raise he issue of the "limitations" other than to highlight that you touched land in Antartica and we will not be able to...and therefore imply that your trip was a better and likely more expensive one.

Well, then, I apologize. There have been people here who did not know that they couldn't leave the ship. We booked this trip through an operator and as part of a Argentinian and Chilean tour of Patagonia. And you bet it was expensive - for us anyway. But it was a bucket list and we booked it two years out. We're people who would rather travel less often in some cases and spend more to get a particularly desired trip. We had booked Silversea for Galapagos but canceled due to COVID future concerns. I can't imagine cruising more than once a year and it will be destination oriented. So again, sorry.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Well, then, I apologize. There have been people here who did not know that they couldn't leave the ship. We booked this trip through an operator and as part of a Argentinian and Chilean tour of Patagonia. And you bet it was expensive - for us anyway. But it was a bucket list and we booked it two years out. We're people who would rather travel less often in some cases and spend more to get a particularly desired trip. We had booked Silversea for Galapagos but canceled due to COVID future concerns. I can't imagine cruising more than once a year and it will be destination oriented. So again, sorry.

Thanks. I am looking forward to even seeing Antarctica. Nine years ago we cruised out of B.A.and bad weather required us to miss Antarctica...at least we had great weather in the Falklands and Ushuaia. Hoping for better luck this time.

• Like 1

Nautica has never been in last 10 years plus in US waters. Used exclusively in Asia, Africa and EU.

There has been alot of lobbying to request a waiver of the PVSA for the cruise industry by Alaska tourism.  If Canada remains closed, would expect this pressure to increase.  Do not know how the new administration would take to such a request.

Edited by PaulMCO

26 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Nautica has never been in last 10 years plus in US waters. Used exclusively in Asia, Africa and EU.

I do not think  Nautica  has ever been to the USA  has she?