The Daily for Wednesday Jan 13, 2021

richwmn

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui, how wonderful! Let’s hope the good news continues for Marley tomorrow. 

Thanks I am thrilled.  A huge weight has been lifted.

The only good news for Marley tomorrow will be that he wakes up from surgery and can come home.  The biopsy has to be sent away and that will take a few days at least.

The vet is using a special anaesthesia on him though similar to what I had for my surgery in December so he doesn’t go completely under.  Safer for him.  He’s an older dog - 7 - which is old for a Bernese Mountain Dog.

He’s in great shape though and always scores with the vet.  She’s predicted a ripe old age for him IF nothing untoward happens.  Hmm - that was the last check up and the last time she said that was with my white mountain dog Maverick (my avatar).  He was 12 and I was worried.  (Big breed dogs don’t live that long).  She extolled his shape and said he would probably live to be 16 if nothing bad happened.  Two months later, I saw him peeing the wrong way and rushed a sample in.

The next day he was in.  Ultra sounds, X-rays.  Cancer.  My vet brought in a top one from PEI to perform the operation to remove it as we had caught it so early and most cancers but 1% can be cleaned out if caught early and hopefully fought.  Sadly, he was in the 1%.  She cried as she told me.

We did our best with her meds, homeopathic meds (which she approved) and he had 3 more months of quality of life and then he had none and we sent him over the Rainbow Bridge.

So, sorry but now I dread the C word with dogs.  

apologies if I am too sucky.

• Like 14

53 minutes ago, kazu said:

@rafinmd

Hi everyone - Miracles do happen.  My BIL’s mother is in her 90’s.  We were warned that the 10th day was the big one and to be prepared.

She has just been given the “all clear”.  And I am happily ecstatic to say you can take her off the Care list, Roy.

She is safe.  My sister, BIL and I are all so grateful for your prayers and caring.

So I guess it is a “your dreams can come true day” and a “skeptics day” at the same time.

Many, many thanks to all of you for caring ❤️ 

Very happy to get this news and to know that KK is progressing (a stair lift is progression).  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@kazu

Not sucky in the least. Praying for good outcomes all around. 

Aww thanks.  I shouldn’t post when I am upset.  Just put the water up.  I won’t be popular in the morning with no breakfast and no treats 😉 

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@TiogaCruiser 350 different types of potatoes? I am having difficulty wrapping my head around that factoid!

Makes me Irish heart go putter-pat thinking there could be a different variety for every night but a fortnight in a year. Almost.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Yes you should. And Marley will forgive & forget quickly. 

16 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@kazu We need a “sending hugs” button. 

Marley is in our prayers.

Ahh thanks.  I shouldn’t have said anything.

But I really appreciate your support.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kazu said:

@rafinmd

Hi everyone - Miracles do happen.  My BIL’s mother is in her 90’s.  We were warned that the 10th day was the big one and to be prepared.

She has just been given the “all clear”.  And I am happily ecstatic to say you can take her off the Care list, Roy.

She is safe.  My sister, BIL and I are all so grateful for your prayers and caring.

So I guess it is a “your dreams can come true day” and a “skeptics day” at the same time.

Wonderful news!  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Of course you should have said!  A problem shared ...  so tough when we have to watch our pups suffer.   Hope all goes well and you get good results!  Hugs!  

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

The Maasdam left Mare and sailed to Easo, Lifou, New Caledonia.  I had booked a shore excursion thru HAL to use up some onboard credit.  It went to what was called a vanilla plantation.  Actuallly a small farm and retail store, but an interesting trip. 

Remember these signs at the gangway?  

20200110_095013.thumb.jpg.4c1c82927b4fe79d5c2c59a27a8f5fca.jpg

No one told us what this "critter" was....and I didn't get too close!  He was huge. 

20200110_105026.thumb.jpg.4fb396f61d729490548372db151a2cb2.jpg

The gift shop, of course.

20200110_104625.thumb.jpg.a4a5c1d3f1a0fc1f339f3239d676f266.jpg

Vanilla beans drying in the sun.

20200110_111251.thumb.jpg.721e049e2a1d87b9b6c7f54425232a36.jpg

Everyone got this leafy hat to wear.

20200110_114118.thumb.jpg.96dd25d42654583756840513501c4385.jpg

Tomorrow we will be in Luganville, Vanuatu.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, garlictown said:

🙂We were "supposed" to board the Maasdam in Papeete on March 15th....was this the voyage you were on? The ship was not permitted to dock in Tahiti and we just had to fly back home! 😔

Welcome aboard!

Roy

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, garlictown said:

🙂We were "supposed" to board the Maasdam in Papeete on March 15th....was this the voyage you were on? The ship was not permitted to dock in Tahiti and we just had to fly back home! 😔

Welcome to posting on the Daily! Love your “handle”!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruzn single said:

I guess I am celebrating "Dreams Come True" as I just finished the on-line scheduling for "the jab."  I will be getting it on Friday morning.  Giving myself a break, as I had a Dermatologist appointment today.  Tomorrow is the lawyer to sign a re-written will!  I was definitely a skeptic about ever getting the vaccine!

I was in the liquor store today buying some wine.  Didn't "spring" for any of the $$$ wines, but just went with my regular!  Saw several that have been mentioned, so I am going to have to start making a list of some I would like to try.  Can't decide between a tar and gravel taste, or a cement taste?!?!  (Some of the descriptions are so humorous!)

@Copper10-8, when you talk about rolling seas, ask someone sometime about the May, 2011 Volendam trip from Vladivostok, Russia across the Bering Sea to Kodiak, AK?  We were in a Force 12 storm for 4 days in 40-50 ft seas!  Fun ride!  But my DH and I never missed a meal, unlike about 60% of the balance of the passengers.

Happy for those celebrating, and sending prayers for those in need.  Have a great evening everyone.

Glad you are scheduled...... Durango is still trying to get its act together.

Susan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks I am thrilled.  A huge weight has been lifted.

The only good news for Marley tomorrow will be that he wakes up from surgery and can come home.  The biopsy has to be sent away and that will take a few days at least.

The vet is using a special anaesthesia on him though similar to what I had for my surgery in December so he doesn’t go completely under.  Safer for him.  He’s an older dog - 7 - which is old for a Bernese Mountain Dog.

He’s in great shape though and always scores with the vet.  She’s predicted a ripe old age for him IF nothing untoward happens.  Hmm - that was the last check up and the last time she said that was with my white mountain dog Maverick (my avatar).  He was 12 and I was worried.  (Big breed dogs don’t live that long).  She extolled his shape and said he would probably live to be 16 if nothing bad happened.  Two months later, I saw him peeing the wrong way and rushed a sample in.

The next day he was in.  Ultra sounds, X-rays.  Cancer.  My vet brought in a top one from PEI to perform the operation to remove it as we had caught it so early and most cancers but 1% can be cleaned out if caught early and hopefully fought.  Sadly, he was in the 1%.  She cried as she told me.

We did our best with her meds, homeopathic meds (which she approved) and he had 3 more months of quality of life and then he had none and we sent him over the Rainbow Bridge.

So, sorry but now I dread the C word with dogs.  

apologies if I am too sucky.

@kazu If you can’t vent to friends, even from a distance, who can you vent to?  All of us are wishing you and Marley the best tomorrow, and a good lab result too.  Just as we’re celebrating the good news about your BIL’s mother. 

Lenda

• Like 9

@durangoscots, yes,Mesa seems to have things together.  I only registered my interest in the vaccine on 12/31!  Confirmation  email last week, and email for scheduling came today.  Second dose will be scheduled when I go in for 1st shot.  Hope La Plata gets it figured out soon.  Ouray County is already doing 3 days a week.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I agree with the others.  We here at the Daily have formed a kind of family and if you can't share with your family, well, there aren't many other avenues.   

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, garlictown said:

It was the Maasdam but several voyages before yours.  Mine was Dec 23, 2019 to Jan 20, 2020. It started out doing southeastern Australia and Tasmania, then some islands in the south Pacific, and ended up in northern New Zealand. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

No one told us what this "critter" was....and I didn't get too close!  He was huge. 

20200110_105026.thumb.jpg.4fb396f61d729490548372db151a2cb2.jpg

Yikes!!  Looks like something out of a horror movie -- you know, the ones where a radiation leak made all the critters gigantic? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

@rafinmd

Oh Jacqui! What wonderful news!

• Like 5