The Daily for Wednesday Jan 13, 2021

richwmn

23 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning All,

As covid continues to rage our county has added those age 65+ to our current eligibility list for vaccinations with 50+ being eligible in February. Apparently there is a large amount of resistance to the vaccine and they hired a PR agency to improve that. Meanwhile, our hospitals are overflowing.😥

Today’s projects include welcoming our new oven, continued cleanup of the shed and “yard” and spinning some chocolate peanut butter gelato ( the kind with veins of peanut butter). And a bike ride to Trader Joe’s for senior hour. (Not sure why, but they cut back from daily to 2 days a week for that🧐.

Will (try to) post the next installment on our Antarctica trip later from my windows 10 machine.

So TC, do you have a specific ceremony for welcoming new appliances? Does it vary by the type of appliance you are welcoming?  Videos welcome.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

So TC, do you have a specific ceremony for welcoming new appliances? Does it vary by the type of appliance you are welcoming?  Videos welcome.  

LOL

Guess I’ll have to dream something up. 

Maybe burning the old manual accompanied by a toast with our current box of Shiraz ( @ger_77 DH now calls it cardbordeux and proudly showed it off to my Dad) and a bowl of chocolate peanut butter gelato. I’ll probably get take out or make something simple as the delivery window is noon to 8:00pm.

DH reminded me there will be a learning curve , but that is a small price to pay for use of an appliance without all the electrical stink.

• Like 15

Good morning everyone. Another bright and dry day here in Durango. The snow is melting rapidly.

I survived the dentist yesterday. Today it is up to little Bandit dog to deal with vet. I will have to sit outside in the car and won't even be able to offer him support. He should be fine although I suspect a dental cleaning will be recommended. Toy dogs tend to have not very good teeth. The other thing I am having checked is his right rear leg. After he was adopted we found that the femur head was missing.... have no idea of what happened but I notice he is hoping more. Maybe we can do something to make it a bit more comfortable for him..... hope it is just the cold weather.

I am getting so tired of my own cooking. Tonight it will be beef/broccoli stir-fry as I try out my new wok.

And that will probably last for a couple of days.

Susan

• Like 12

Good morning everyone.If dreams could come true, I would wish for life to return to normal and for this awful virus to go away, far away.

DH is putting together an outdoor heater for our patio so he can be outside during these colder months. It’s actually going to be near 50 on Friday.

Yesterday we received our stimulus check and it makes me feel very guilty receiving something we don’t need when so many people are on line for food, so we decided to make some donations to food banks. One I will donate to is in Philly where my former DIL volunteered at a facility for homeless children. She died several years ago at the age of 39 and I still miss her.

Life is getting pretty routine between chores, some adult Ed courses that we’re taking which are very interesting and binge watching TV.One of the best shows we watched is A Place to Call Home. 

Stay safe everyone and wear your masks.

Carol

• Like 17

I don't think it is actually Skeptics Day....

It is supposed to hit 40F today so I have a T-bone ready for the grill! Tomorrow will be a return to leftovers.

In 2019, today was turnaround day in Port Everglades. We were thoroughly enjoying the new Nieuw Statendam but had come to the conclusion that the "standard" 7 day Western Caribbean route would be our last choice for future cruises. It was a lovely day for the sail away and we were followed out by the Koningsdam.

552322108_DSC_0664(2).thumb.JPG.a5547966a48fc7fdead0a43936d674c0.JPG

111549137_DSC_0713(2).thumb.JPG.d319580064ca92a5997a545b503da5c5.JPG

226598661_DSC_0723(2).thumb.JPG.f714ef0c1b19ce7e30a5d5792567aa41.JPG

DSC_0735.thumb.JPG.2f60757c006cb58ee571d6f2598416eb.JPG

• Like 16

33 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Yesterday we received our stimulus check and it makes me feel very guilty receiving something we don’t need when so many people are on line for food, so we decided to make some donations to food banks.

We donated the amounts of both stimulus checks (and then some) to local organizations that are supporting those in need, including food banks.

• Like 11

Good morning all, and thanks for the Daily News!

I am feeling skeptical about life in general today.  Canada has evidently vaccinated 1% of the  population in 28 days.  If it continues like that, how long will it take to vaccinate 100%?  We are now out of vaccine in BC, until the next batch comes in.

@Crazy For Cats, we had one of those "free" one-week cruises booked for April.  We had to pay a $200 deposit each, which was to be given back as OBC, we also paid $250 each for an upgrade to a verandah, the port fees were $152 each, and I bought the CFAR insurance for $128 each (being rather skeptical about the chances of having had the vaccine by then).   HAL cancelled the cruise a few days ago.... I am wondering what will happen now, because of the "freeness" of it all.  Hopefully we will get the insurance and port fees back to our credit card, and the upgrade cost as FCC, but I have no idea what will happen to that "deposit".  Anyway, all in all, I think you made a wise choice to pass on the offer.

• Like 12

Thanks Rich and Roy and all for your posting. I’m glad there are others out there suffering from the “what am I going to cook today” syndrome. It’s a challenge finding different ways to cook the same thing week after week. Another reason why I like to cruise - leaving the planning, shopping, storing, fixing, serving and cleanup to the great crew. 

• Like 9

Early on in my law enforcement career I spent two years assigned to the CSI (Crime Scene Investigation Detail, way before it became a popular TV series) plus, after promoting to sergeant, I supervised the detail for another year. In order to be qualified to work CSI, one had to attend, and satisfactory complete, a two-week basic field evidence technician (FET) course in Huntington Beach, CA. At that course, they taught you the finer aspects of how to locate, lift/collect and preserve latent impressions, i.e. fingerprints, crime scene photography, crime scene preservation, the plaster casting of foot print evidence, you get the gist. 

Every HAL ship carries a fingerprint kit although major crime scenes will always be processed by FBI techs in the case of the victim and/or suspect of that crime being a U.S. citizen. Well, the hardworking Filipino and Indian security guards on the blue hulled beauties (those are the two countries from which the HAL guards hail) have, for the most part, limited experience in the art of locating, collecting and preserving latent impressions. Thus, I organized training sessions on that topic during my contract at sea for them, usually held in the ship's training room, the one shown in the North Pacific enroute Japan. The guys seemed to enjoy the class. No worries, those Lido coffee cups, saucers and glassware were thoroughly cleaned of print powder before being placed back into circulation 😉           

026.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

030.JPG

033.JPG

034.JPG

035.JPG

036.JPG

037.JPG

038.JPG

040.JPG

• Like 20

I will admit that while I enjoy the daily wine descriptions, I am somewhat skeptical about them.  There are always two descriptions of the wine and they almost never match.  One will say that it has tastes of orange, current and a scent of tobacco, and the other will mention apple, guava and old leather.  The skeptic in me says that the descriptions are meaningless.

Ray

• Like 10

Good morning, all! It’s interesting that Skeptics and Dreamers share a day. Probably due to all the the couples with one bubbling enthusiastically while the other is behind them rolling their eyes. Today’s quote is almost the motto of 2021, as it unfolds. Pork chops and perogis sound good, but tonight is chicken and macaroni salad here.

The rain has actually stopped today! A fierce wind during the early morning hours blew away the torrential rain we’ve been having. All told we’ve had over 3 inches of rain since Sunday morning. I may be turning into a rubber duck myself!

A year ago today the Amsterdam’s GWV took us to Belém Brazil on the Amazon. We were anchored off Icoaraci and tendered ashore in local wooden river boats. There was a most enthusiastic welcome on shore. Here is the link to my blog post for that day: https://apassportinmyparasol.wordpress.com/2020/01/14/bem-vindos-a-belem-brazil-january-13/

Happy Wednesday, with a few pictures and the ever welcoming elevator mat!

A couple of pictures of the welcome at the tender pier. DH reflected beside a giant lily pad in the botanical garden. An angel on the roof of the cathedral. The muddy River water, so different than the ocean. Approaching the Amsterdam on our river boat tender.

C543C87C-6CB4-4580-9B5B-73D920FAB55C.jpeg

CC424010-1523-44E9-924E-0807C8BB3BC9.jpeg

67250D22-931E-40DE-A07C-F4E26970BC70.jpeg

742AD5CE-7CEA-4F8F-972A-B0AD84F48139.jpeg

50FC78CB-7167-4D54-AEEF-592FDBB7B9F6.jpeg

7C00E7AD-7ADF-46A5-8D76-21E5E25BA214.jpeg

0BDC4AEF-AF02-4498-90B5-C739A0D6C29C.jpeg

FB898680-4C77-4CA8-805D-EC73148BE577.jpeg

• Like 15

37 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

...lift/collect and preserve latent impressions, i.e. fingerprints, crime scene photography, crime scene preservation, the plaster casting of foot print evidence, you get the gist. 

Every HAL ship carries a fingerprint kit although major crime scenes will always be processed by FBI techs in the case of the victim and/or suspect of that crime being a U.S. citizen. Well, the hardworking Filipino and Indian security guards on the blue hulled beauties (those are the two countries from which the HAL guards hail) have, for the most part, limited experience in the art of locating, collecting and preserving latent impressions. Thus, I organized training sessions on that topic during my contract at sea for them, usually held in the ship's training room, the one shown in the North Pacific enroute Japan.

So any tips on collecting canine prints?

I recently made patches with my neighbor’s dog’s paw prints embroidered on them for his car seat covers, but getting the prints wasn’t easy. I ended up running her through the mud, then across paper. Lots of paper. Stamping her paw just didn’t work.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

And a bike ride to Trader Joe’s for senior hour. (Not sure why, but they cut back from daily to 2 days a week for that🧐.

Our TJ’s did that also. I think that they found not as many people shopped at 8:00am because when I did shop at senior hour (this was months ago) they would let in everyone if they had space inside. For me it’s hit or miss with what time to go, sometimes a line but most often no line. Recently the most I’ve had to wait is 15 minutes.  It I do avoid lunchtime based on my experience. 

• Like 8

Good morning and thanks Rich,  and Roy for all the attention to detail!  

Well strange weather,  with snow banks over two feet tall we had rain today!  Hopefully it helps break the snow down!    DH had to rescue an elderly man who couldn’t get over the snow to his car twice last week!  

We had a lovely fresh cedar planked salmon last night,  and will have sausage lasagna tonight.  

@Copper10-8Love the wild life on the Thames!  DH wants to post that to his bird group but would get tossed out, lol!  Not sure I could do that Pacific crossing looking at those waves!   DH also spent several years running crime scenes,  you two would have a lot to discuss! 

I’m wondering if these plates look familiar?  I am thinking if I can’t get to the ship....   this lockdown is getting expensive!  

8220FEE2-10B6-4592-B770-463599E0CFBC.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 12

7 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks Rich,  and Roy for all the attention to detail!  

Well strange weather,  with snow banks over two feet tall we had rain today!  Hopefully it helps break the snow down!    DH had to rescue an elderly man who couldn’t get over the snow to his car twice last week!  

We had a lovely fresh cedar planked salmon last night,  and will have sausage lasagna tonight.  

@Copper10-8Love the wild life on the Thames!  DH wants to post that to his bird group but would get tossed out, lol!  Not sure I could do that Pacific crossing looking at those waves!  

I’m wondering if these plates look familiar?  I am thinking if I can’t get to the ship....   this lockdown is getting expensive!  

8220FEE2-10B6-4592-B770-463599E0CFBC.jpeg

Are those HAL plates?

20 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I will admit that while I enjoy the daily wine descriptions, I am somewhat skeptical about them.  There are always two descriptions of the wine and they almost never match.  One will say that it has tastes of orange, current and a scent of tobacco, and the other will mention apple, guava and old leather.  The skeptic in me says that the descriptions are meaningless.

Ray

Everyone’s palate is so different. The descriptions just give the taster’s opinion. I confess, I love the ones that include wacky thing such as “wet river stone”.😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Are those HAL plates?

Not sure, they seemed familiar.  I think they may be from the Pinnacle Grill.  I was looking for new dishes now that I have time, lol, and am wondering if those were ones I had seen onboard. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I am feeling skeptical about life in general today.  Canada has evidently vaccinated 1% of the  population in 28 days.  If it continues like that, how long will it take to vaccinate 100%?  We are now out of vaccine in BC, until the next batch comes in.

I don’t blame you for feeling that way Ann.  I’m ticked that Trudeau turned down more Moderna..  It’s so much easier to distribute than the Pfizer

Not sure why he got more of Pfizer that is so hard to get to so many parts of the country and turned down the Moderna.  

• Like 6

Good morning here.  We have sunshine!!  So good to see after the wet and wild weather we have been having.

Thanks for all the updates and pictures.  Hoping to hear today about my father-in-law's covid test.  There was one resident who contracted covid last week in the assisted living where he lives. 

Take care and stay safe everyone.  Have an awesome day.

• Like 8