Hotel in Southamnpton

Sir Cumference

3 hours ago, dave2 said:

We normally book the Holiday Inn Express Southampton West about 10 minute drive from the docks. We've booked for one night in October and including breakfast it's only £80.  There is also an excellent pub, the Walnut Tree Farm about 100 yards away.

That is where we usually stay but for our next cruise in August is very expensive so we might give Premier Inn a try which is only just up the road from HIE. Whatever we do we will not be booking until a lot closer to the date because I am not convinced the cruise will sail or even if it does will have too many restrictions for us so might cancel it.

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you Graham, you have a good memory 😊 I have to say that knowing my dad is getting the vaccine today is the best birthday present!

I talked the overnight stay over with my husband and parents last night and we've decided to stick with the Holiday Inn Express, West End, I think that's east of Southampton. I did change my booking from Expedia to Booking.com though as it saved us £35 for the two rooms.

I think if coming down M3 dont think there is much difference in either HIE West (just off M271) or West End (Ageas Bowl) we just find West (M271) is so convenient just a short drive along the main road along the ports of Southampton and also has previously said got a very nice pub at a very short walkable distance for an evening meal instead of paying extortionate prices of HIE.

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you Graham, you have a good memory 😊 I have to say that knowing my dad is getting the vaccine today is the best birthday present!

I talked the overnight stay over with my husband and parents last night and we've decided to stick with the Holiday Inn Express, West End, I think that's east of Southampton. I did change my booking from Expedia to Booking.com though as it saved us £35 for the two rooms.

Happy birthday Sarah and as you say - the best present being your Dad getting his jab. X

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I think if coming down M3 dont think there is much difference in either HIE West (just off M271) or West End (Ageas Bowl) we just find West (M271) is so convenient just a short drive along the main road along the ports of Southampton and also has previously said got a very nice pub at a very short walkable distance for an evening meal instead of paying extortionate prices of HIE.

Ok thank you, I’ll have a look. I might have to save that one off for cruise number 2, husband might despair if I change our booking again 😊

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

That is where we usually stay but for our next cruise in August is very expensive so we might give Premier Inn a try which is only just up the road from HIE. Whatever we do we will not be booking until a lot closer to the date because I am not convinced the cruise will sail or even if it does will have too many restrictions for us so might cancel it.

Premier inn do an advance pre paid reservation which is fully refundable with 28 days notice.

The view from the back of the Holiday Inn Southampton top City Terminal, the front below a view of Ocean Terminal, we walked there with luggage:

DSC00014.JPG

DSCF0663.JPG

Edited by CCFC
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 10:45 AM, SarahHben said:

Sorry I missed your birthday Sarah, hope you had a good day.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Sorry I missed your birthday Sarah, hope you had a good day.

Thank you. Our eldest daughter has been unfurloughed for a couple of days a week so I was on childcare duties which was a lovely treat 😊 I do feel very fortunate but also guilty when I know people like you who can't see your grandchildren. One of my friends is shielding and hasn't seen her 2 year old Grandson for so long. Hopefully it won't be too long now for you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you. Our eldest daughter has been unfurloughed for a couple of days a week so I was on childcare duties which was a lovely treat 😊 I do feel very fortunate but also guilty when I know people like you who can't see your grandchildren. One of my friends is shielding and hasn't seen her 2 year old Grandson for so long. Hopefully it won't be too long now for you.

Aah the best present for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Indeed it can, but these are higher priced, for effectively the same service.

With elderly parents to consider in my case I’m happy to pay the extra for the peace of mind.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 1

I have nothing but praise for Premier Inn, we were booked for a few days in North Wales in September 2019 and had paid the cheapest rate with no refund.

In late August our Son died suddenly, I rang the hotel direct to cancel explaining our reasons for the cancellation.

The person in the desk gave their condolences and said I will call you back shortly.

They called back after speaking to head office and we received a full refund a few days later.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

With elderly parents to consider in my case I’m happy to pay the extra for the peace of mind.

Before this pandemic we always booked the fully flexible ones initially, but as we got nearer I regularly checked the fixed ones and would switch nearer the time if the saving was high enough.

Fortunately we got a full refund for the one booking that I had changed to fixed, even though it should have been non refundable.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Before this pandemic we always booked the fully flexible ones initially, but as we got nearer I regularly checked the fixed ones and would switch nearer the time if the saving was high enough.

Used to do the same with Premier Inn.  Very easy to do.  As you say, just need to regularly check prices.

9 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Their most flexible fare can be cancelled up until the day of travel!

The cheapest price is a non refundable fare which allows you to modify up to 1pm on day of arrival but no refunds allowed.

We have a couple of Premier inns booked and had to move the dates a few times because of the current lockdown and previous Tier restrictions.

Edited by grapau27

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The cheapest price is a non refundable fare which allows you to modify up to 1pm on day of arrival but no refunds allowed.

We have a couple of Premier inns booked and had to move the dates a few times because of the current lockdown and previous Tier restrictions.

There are 3 options I think Graham, one fixed with no refund but can be moved and needs pre-payment, one semi flex which is priced midway and needs 28 days notice to cancel for a refund and has to be paid on booking, and the most expensive fully flexible which can be changed or cancelled with 1 days notice and you can pay on arrival.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There are 3 options I think Graham, one fixed with no refund but can be moved and needs pre-payment, one semi flex which is priced midway and needs 28 days notice to cancel for a refund and has to be paid on booking, and the most expensive fully flexible which can be changed or cancelled with 1 days notice and you can pay on arrival.

We had paid for 3 nights @ £29 a night for Premier Inn York at New Year that we had to change because of Lockdown.

We changed to dates in April and paid an extra £2 price difference.

34 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We had paid for 3 nights @ £29 a night for Premier Inn York at New Year that we had to change because of Lockdown.

We changed to dates in April and paid an extra £2 price difference.

I think that if the hotel has to shut because of lock down, it basically doesn't matter what rate you paid, you should get a full refund. That certainly has been our experience with both PI and TravelLodge. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think that if the hotel has to shut because of lock down, it basically doesn't matter what rate you paid, you should get a full refund. That certainly has been our experience with both PI and TravelLodge. 

At £29 a night we just changed the dates because it was paid for and don't mind as it's only 70 miles from home and will stay there when we can after lockdown.

If it had been in Southampton I would have pursued a refund.

Edited by grapau27

21 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It’s the most expensive price I’ve normally paid , you don’t pay until arrival.

Having said that in the pandemic they were brilliant and refunded people even though it wasn’t in their terms and conditions, lots of praise for them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

It’s the most expensive price I’ve normally paid , you don’t pay until arrival.

Having said that in the pandemic they were brilliant and refunded people even though it wasn’t in their terms and conditions, lots of praise for them.

I have now taken the decision to always pay a refundable price.  Got caught out last year with an expensive Hard Rock London booking.  Eventually settled but it was nearly a £200 loss for a night. Same will go for car parking etc.