Hotel in Southamnpton

Sir Cumference

Sorry to raise this again. I know the question has been asked before (more than once) but I can't find the relevant threads (I'm not very used to using these forums) but could someone suggest a reasonably priced hotel in which to stay pre-cruise in Southampton - preferably with a view over the terminals - or close by. Many thanks in anticipation 🙂

9 minutes ago, Sir Cumference said:

Sorry to raise this again. I know the question has been asked before (more than once) but I can't find the relevant threads (I'm not very used to using these forums) but could someone suggest a reasonably priced hotel in which to stay pre-cruise in Southampton - preferably with a view over the terminals - or close by. Many thanks in anticipation 🙂

We used holiday inn last time.  Its very close to terminal although you do have to pay for the parking for the night.  The restaurant was OK, the bar OK.  View very good depending on what view you get!   We will probably use it next time (2022) as signed up for points card when there and took out credit card for points so will be free (which is my type of price).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Leonardos, Holiday Inn, Premier Inn West Quay, all close to Docks but the Holiday Inn probably has the best view of the port. 

Andy 

Love the name,wish I had used it when I was in the Dreamboys.Holiday Inn is good for the view.Have to book the superior rooms with seaview.It's getting a bit tired but ok.We were stuck in the lift for half hour and the fire brigade turned up,reminded me of my Dreamboy days again.

15 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Leonardos, Holiday Inn, Premier Inn West Quay, all close to Docks but the Holiday Inn probably has the best view of the port. 

Andy 

Do any of these have a shuttle service to the port?  The last time I sailed from Southampton I stayed at a B&B and the proprietor called a taxi for me.

Thanks

37 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Do any of these have a shuttle service to the port?  The last time I sailed from Southampton I stayed at a B&B and the proprietor called a taxi for me.

Thanks

We usually use West Quay taxis.  Dolphin hotel to Mayflower terminal last year was about £7 inc tip.  

The Leonardo used to have a taxi transfer to the hotel when it was under De Vere.  Not sure if it does now.   There's a free phone to call a taxi from the Premier Inn West Quay.   Both of these hotels, and the Holiday Inn are close to Ocean, City and QEII, with the Novotel being closer to Mayflower.

We usually are in our own car and use the Premier Inn West Quays or one just outside Southampton but in 2018 I had a cruise with a friend. We stayed at the Holiday Inn which was a brilliant location but was a bit shabby. In the morning they called us a taxi and it was obvious the taxis were used to it - a constant stream turned up!

When ever we stay over in Southampton we have never had problems getting a taxis to the port. Some of the hotels had phones which connected directly to a taxi service, others reception phoned on our behalf. We have also booked in advance using West Quay Cars.

I'm looking at hotels for the night before our hoped for cruise in June. We have booked Holiday Inn Express outside of Southampton but are thinking of re-booking something in town.

Has anyone stayed at the Travelodge but had to park in Eastgate Street car park because the hotel car park was full? My husband is not sure about that prospect without knowing how secure it is. 

Thanks

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I'm looking at hotels for the night before our hoped for cruise in June. We have booked Holiday Inn Express outside of Southampton but are thinking of re-booking something in town.

Has anyone stayed at the Travelodge but had to park in Eastgate Street car park because the hotel car park was full? My husband is not sure about that prospect without knowing how secure it is. 

Thanks

Consider the Exec Floor........ Secure parking etc., clean modern, private taxi not share minibus etc

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hilton-at-the-ageas-bowl-southampton-SOUAGHI/about/park-and-stay.html

Thanks, looks good but out of our budget for the dates we need unfortunately, which is why I'm looking at the basic Travelodge, we are just unsure about having to park in the Eastgate Street carpark overnight. We have cruise parking booked via P&O

29 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks, looks good but out of our budget for the dates we need unfortunately, which is why I'm looking at the basic Travelodge, we are just unsure about having to park in the Eastgate Street carpark overnight. We have cruise parking booked via P&O

Best second price sensitive option is Parking4Cruises. Drive direct to Southampton on the morning of the cruise (1 hour?), drop of luggage at terminal, then drive about 200 meters to the car park opposite to P4C leaving area, shorter walk back to terminal with hand luggage.

You can see the P4C flag from the luggage drop (with back to terminal, look 14.00 hours to your right).  On arrival back in Southampton, grab a luggage trolley, walk to P4C to car(where you left it), load car, drive off.  Very secure, a big hit with cruisers.

Try and take the cash option with P&O as it will more than cover the fee for P4C.

https://www.parking4cruises.co.uk

5 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Best second price sensitive option is Parking4Cruises. Drive direct to Southampton on the morning of the cruise (1 hour?), drop of luggage at terminal, then drive about 200 meters to the car park opposite to P4C leaving area, shorter walk back to terminal with hand luggage.

You can see the P4C flag from the luggage drop (with back to terminal, look 14.00 hours to your right).  On arrival back in Southampton, grab a luggage trolley, walk to P4C to car(where you left it), load car, drive off.  Very secure, a big hit with cruisers.

Try and take the cash option with P&O as it will more than cover the fee for P4C.

If you are unable to change the P&O parking, then you can always drive to P&O parking on the morning of the cruise.  If considering an overnight stay the are many good B&Bs with secure parking.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

We have looked into that for our July 2022 cruise.  However the parking4cruise price is £25 more than the P&O cash option.  Are there discount codes for parking4.   It looks like the break even point is a balcony cabin.

1 hour ago, Dinglebert said:

We have looked into that for our July 2022 cruise.  However the parking4cruise price is £25 more than the P&O cash option.  Are there discount codes for parking4.   It looks like the break even point is a balcony cabin.

P4C rarely beats CPS for 7 nt cruises, but they are normally quite a bit less for 14 nt cruises.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

P4C rarely beats CPS for 7 nt cruises, but they are normally quite a bit less for 14 nt cruises.

Not for my cruise.   My cabin money was £90 the cheapest cancellable P4C was £115.  Don't know if there is a P4C discount code.

14 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Not for my cruise.   My cabin money was £90 the cheapest cancellable P4C was £115.  Don't know if there is a P4C discount code.

Was the £90 for 2 people, for a 14nt cruise £45pp seems very low?  But we normally have a balcony cabin, so I have no experience of the normal OBC for inside and Ocean view cabins.

23 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks

We always fly or train down but last time I drove and booked Hotel Meon Valley on a stay,park and return taxi deal.

Happy birthday today Sarah I hope you have an enjoyable day.

Graham.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Was the £90 for 2 people, for a 14nt cruise £45pp seems very low?  But we normally have a balcony cabin, so I have no experience of the normal OBC for inside and Ocean view cabins.

Yes it was £90 for 2 for 14 night.  I took the parking option instead

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We always fly or train down but last time I drove and booked Hotel Meon Valley on a stay,park and return taxi deal.

Happy birthday today Sarah I hope you have an enjoyable day.

Graham.

Thank you Graham, you have a good memory 😊 I have to say that knowing my dad is getting the vaccine today is the best birthday present!

I talked the overnight stay over with my husband and parents last night and we've decided to stick with the Holiday Inn Express, West End, I think that's east of Southampton. I did change my booking from Expedia to Booking.com though as it saved us £35 for the two rooms.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you Graham, you have a good memory 😊 I have to say that knowing my dad is getting the vaccine today is the best birthday present!

I talked the overnight stay over with my husband and parents last night and we've decided to stick with the Holiday Inn Express, West End, I think that's east of Southampton. I did change my booking from Expedia to Booking.com though as it saved us £35 for the two rooms.

That's great news your dad is getting his vaccine today.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the hotel too.

We normally book the Holiday Inn Express Southampton West about 10 minute drive from the docks. We've booked for one night in October and including breakfast it's only £80.  There is also an excellent pub, the Walnut Tree Farm about 100 yards away.

5 minutes ago, dave2 said:

We normally book the Holiday Inn Express Southampton West about 10 minute drive from the docks. We've booked for one night in October and including breakfast it's only £80.  There is also an excellent pub, the Walnut Tree Farm about 100 yards away.

I think the one I've booked is East of Southampton even though it's called West End? It's on Botley Road. I did look at the other one but we're travelling from Kent so the more Easterly one made more sense.