Packing for a B2B

We don't have to cram everything in the first week.  That makes both cruises so much more relaxing.  If you liked a particular show, then you can go again.  If not, there is always something else to do.  Same goes for the food.

we don't  pack anything extra.  if we are on  7N plus 7N  we basically  pack as we would for any 7 night cruise. We take advantage of the  laundry service ( mostly the wash and fold service), or full laundry if necessary,   or hand wash  (i use shampoo/bar soap/shower gel - whatever is there) a few things.

make sure you have enough toiletries,  OTC or Rx meds

If you like to bring the allowed wine on board, you can bring for both cruises.  Have the second cruise paperwork handy in case you are questioned. 

We do most all our cruises as B2B or B3B, and enjoy them very much. 

enjoy

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 7

I agree with cruisegirl1.  In general, I've learned to extra meds as you never know when a need arises.  Sometimes an extra evening outfit.  I do make dh take extra evening shirts as I assume the first time he wears it he will get the red sauce down the front and it stains!  Oh well.  Pack what you want and enjoy.  We like b2b and other longer cruises.

Also enjoy turn around day.  No rush to have an early breakfast and disembark.   For a short time the ship is yours.

• Like 1

We usually do b2bs or b2b2b cruises, especially if we have to fly to port. 

I always bring a small bottle of woolite and wash our bathing suits and my bras myself and either hang on clothesline in the shower or on chair of balcony if a day at port.  

You will absolutely love doing a b2b.

Years ago I used to hear of people doing them and always thought wow we have to try that.  In the last 3 or 4 years pretty much all our cruises are for 14+ days.  Our longest time was almost a month and I didnt want to leave then.  

If you are someone who buys alot of souvenirs or liquor at ports, remember you have to save room to bring all that home.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We don't have to cram everything in the first week.  That makes both cruises so much more relaxing.  If you liked a particular show, then you can go again.  If not, there is always something else to do.  Same goes for the food.

we don't  pack anything extra.  if we are on  7N plus 7N  we basically  pack as we would for any 7 night cruise. We take advantage of the  laundry service ( mostly the wash and fold service), or full laundry if necessary,   or hand wash  (i use shampoo/bar soap/shower gel - whatever is there) a few things.

make sure you have enough toiletries,  OTC or Rx meds

If you like to bring the allowed wine on board, you can bring for both cruises.  Have the second cruise paperwork handy in case you are questioned. 

We do most all our cruises as B2B or B3B, and enjoy them very much. 

enjoy

M

I am excited about not feeling that we have to do everything on the ship within a weeks time, plus shore excursions. We always have things that we didn't get to do. Thanks for your response.

10 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I agree with cruisegirl1.  In general, I've learned to extra meds as you never know when a need arises.  Sometimes an extra evening outfit.  I do make dh take extra evening shirts as I assume the first time he wears it he will get the red sauce down the front and it stains!  Oh well.  Pack what you want and enjoy.  We like b2b and other longer cruises.

Also enjoy turn around day.  No rush to have an early breakfast and disembark.   For a short time the ship is yours.

Do you stay onboard or go into town for the day? 

Just now, CaribbeanCrushed said:

It depends on the port.  Out of Cape Liberty, no. We also didn't in San Juan because we've been there before but even though not docked close to town, you have enough time.  In Australia we had to for 2 hrs per their rules. If you stay on board there's often a special lunch. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We usually do b2bs or b2b2b cruises, especially if we have to fly to port. 

I always bring a small bottle of woolite and wash our bathing suits and my bras myself and either hang on clothesline in the shower or on chair of balcony if a day at port.  

You will absolutely love doing a b2b.

Years ago I used to hear of people doing them and always thought wow we have to try that.  In the last 3 or 4 years pretty much all our cruises are for 14+ days.  Our longest time was almost a month and I didnt want to leave then.  

If you are someone who buys alot of souvenirs or liquor at ports, remember you have to save room to bring all that home.    

We've talked about it for years, but I was always the one not wanting to take that much time off work or be gone from home for that long. My wife was surprised when I suggested it. She keeps asking if I can really do it! LOL Thanks for the tip in regards to the liquor and souvenirs!

58 minutes ago, CaribbeanCrushed said:

My wife and I have our first B2B booked for next year. Does anyone have any suggestions or things that you do differently when planning for a B2B as opposed to a single cruise.

We don't do anything differently. Same planning and packing process by factoring in the extra days. Just remember, once you do a B2B it's hard to go back. As far as TAD, you will receive a detailed letter in your cabin a day or two before the first leg is over. The letter will explain the whole process including where to meet, what time and what you will need to bring with you on TAD. The letter will also advise you that your ship board account will be closed after the first leg is over. So if you have any non refundable OBC spend it before the first leg is over as it will not carry over to the second leg. If you elect to stay onboard on TAD you will have access to your cabin at anytime. The fire doors will be closed. You are allowed to open them to gain entry to the hallway where your cabin is. Just remember to close them behind you coming and going. Also on TAD we've always been invited to a consecutive cruisers lunch in the MDR. Limited menu. Starts at 11:30 and ends at 1:00. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, CaribbeanCrushed said:

My wife and I have our first B2B booked for next year. Does anyone have any suggestions or things that you do differently when planning for a B2B as opposed to a single cruise.

There will be a completely different set of passengers on your second leg, so other than underwear, as long as you keep what you wear the first week clean, you can re-wear it to a new audience on week two.

When we pack for B2B's we usually just pack a few extra tops/shirts and just go with the flow.

The one thing I would recommend, however, is that you pack two weeks worth of meds, vitamins, etc. for a one week cruise, and three weeks worth for a B2B.

Hurricane Dorian gave us a completely unexpected B2B, and having that second week of meds packed was a life saver.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CaribbeanCrushed said:

We always stay on board. It is a unique experience to have the ship all to yourself on turnaround day. Also, once you clear the customs process, you can go back to your cabin (no need to wait until they open them up for the new passengers) and just veg out until everything opens up for the new passengers.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

It depends on the port.  Out of Cape Liberty, no. We also didn't in San Juan because we've been there before but even though not docked close to town, you have enough time.  In Australia we had to for 2 hrs per their rules. If you stay on board there's often a special lunch. 

That's great. I'm sure we'll enjoy the time onboard between the sailings. I'm imagine that can be a really relaxing time.

51 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We don't do anything differently. Same planning and packing process by factoring in the extra days. Just remember, once you do a B2B it's hard to go back. As far as TAD, you will receive a detailed letter in your cabin a day or two before the first leg is over. The letter will explain the whole process including where to meet, what time and what you will need to bring with you on TAD. The letter will also advise you that your ship board account will be closed after the first leg is over. So if you have any non refundable OBC spend it before the first leg is over as it will not carry over to the second leg. If you elect to stay onboard on TAD you will have access to your cabin at anytime. The fire doors will be closed. You are allowed to open them to gain entry to the hallway where your cabin is. Just remember to close them behind you coming and going. Also on TAD we've always been invited to a consecutive cruisers lunch in the MDR. Limited menu. Starts at 11:30 and ends at 1:00. 

Thanks! Wish someone had given us the same warning about a balcony cabin (not that it would have helped LOL). So, I assume that we can just plan on sleeping in on that morning? 

54 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We always stay on board. It is a unique experience to have the ship all to yourself on turnaround day. Also, once you clear the customs process, you can go back to your cabin (no need to wait until they open them up for the new passengers) and just veg out until everything opens up for the new passengers.

I'm looking forward to the feeling of having the ship to ourselves. Are the pools and gym accessible during that time?

8 minutes ago, CaribbeanCrushed said:

Thanks! Wish someone had given us the same warning about a balcony cabin (not that it would have helped LOL). So, I assume that we can just plan on sleeping in on that morning? 

If you have the same cabin for both legs you can sleep in a bit longer. If you are changing cabins between legs, you will need to vacate your first cabin like everyone else so teh steward can get it ready for its next guests.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaribbeanCrushed said:

I'm looking forward to the feeling of having the ship to ourselves. Are the pools and gym accessible during that time?

There is usually at least one pool open, and the gym is available. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

If you have the same cabin for both legs you can sleep in a bit longer. If you are changing cabins between legs, you will need to vacate your first cabin like everyone else so teh steward can get it ready for its next guests.

We were fortunate enough to be able to book the same cabin!

No advice on packing for a B2B - I don't do anything differently there. But the best advice I got before mine was: if you'd like to have a bottle of alcohol in your cabin, purchase it on the first leg in the duty free onboard, and it will be delivered the last night so you can enjoy it on the second leg. Have done a B2B and a B2B2B, and can't wait until I can do it again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaribbeanCrushed said:

No you can not sleep in on the morning of TAD even if you have the same cabin. Get up and go have breakfast so your cabin attendant can take care of your cabin while you are gone. It's also very important to be at the TAD location on or before the time published in your TAD letter. The TAD process won't start until all B2B cruisers have been accounted for at the meeting place. All B2B cruisers go thru the TAD process as a group not individually. Also all non B2B passengers have to be off the ship and the manifest cleared before the TAD process can be completed. After you've complete the TAD process, then you are free to do what you want. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CaribbeanCrushed said:

You will have the ship to yourselves and other B2B cruisers (🤣). No everything is shut down so the crew can get the ship in ship shape for the new arriving passengers. Everything will start opening back up around noon. Good time to explore the ship for more Kodak moments without a lot of others around. Go to the TAD lunch. By the time you're done eating all the venues will be open. Now remember, all of us are posting our experiences pre Covid when doing a B2B. Who knows what post Covid will be like for B2B cruises. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No you can not sleep in on the morning of TAD even if you have the same cabin. Get up and go have breakfast so your cabin attendant can take care of your cabin while you are gone. It's also very important to be at the TAD location on or before the time published in your TAD letter. The TAD process won't start until all B2B cruisers have been accounted for at the meeting place. All B2B cruisers go thru the TAD process as a group not individually. Also all non B2B passengers have to be off the ship and the manifest cleared before the TAD process can be completed. After you've complete the TAD process, then you are free to do what you want. 

Yup...like he said.   ^  😉 

Though I have been doing one thing different with our B2Bs (as long as we have same cabin)..by asking our cabin attendant to skip our "turn around" cleaning. It is simple for us to just grab some replacement towels as needed later.  I do warn him/her to be sure we still get our comp goodies (water, beer, wine)...or I will hunt them down.  😜  

They are usually quite relieved not to have to spend the extra time doing our cabin.  One B2B out of PR...we had this fantastic cabin attendant from Puerto Rico.  He was happy he could finish just that much earlier to have the extra time with his family. 😄 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yup...like he said.   ^  😉 

Though I have been doing one thing different with our B2Bs (as long as we have same cabin)..by asking our cabin attendant to skip our "turn around" cleaning. It is simple for us to just grab some replacement towels as needed later.  I do warn him/her to be sure we still get our comp goodies (water, beer, wine)...or I will hunt them down.  😜  

They are usually quite relieved not to have to spend the extra time doing our cabin.  One B2B out of PR...we had this fantastic cabin attendant from Puerto Rico.  He was happy he could finish just that much earlier to have the extra time with his family. 😄 

They are crazy busy on TAD and it's a very long and demanding day for them. Good to have some wine chilling in the cabin to enjoy it on the balcony and chilling out while the crew is getting ready for the new neighbors. 🍷

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

They are crazy busy on TAD and it's a very long and demanding day for them. Good to have some wine chilling in the cabin to enjoy it on the balcony and chilling out while the crew is getting ready for the new neighbors. 🍷

On one B2B2B we got off the ship on the second round.  But on the first one...we kicked back with that chilled wine on our balcony with a view of the craziness down below, feeling full of ourselves we were not a part of it that day.  Ahhh...already unpacked.  😉 

• Like 1