Living on a Cruise?

robcruisesforlife

I don't click on unknown sites by unknown posters, but there was a thread on the subject just a few days ago. Count me out. Price tag and annual fees are too high for us, and from what I've read the lifestyle on residence ship(s ) seem very different from what we enjoy on cruise ships.

On 1/20/2021 at 5:14 PM, mom says said:

Count me out. Price tag and annual fees are too high for us,

and from what I've read the lifestyle on residence ship(s )

seems very different from what we enjoy on cruise ships.

^ I could see that!

Re. life on one of those residence type ships..

you have a set bunch of neighbours

whereas on a regular/weekly cruise, you'll have new faces

every 7-10 days depending on the cycle.

Which suits you better? fixed neighbours? or new faces?

Luckily there is a choice!

There are folks who have made arrangements to 'cruise forever'

on regular cruise ships.

There was a famous lady who sailed forever on QE2

until the ship went into retirement -

then they switched her to some other ship that she liked.

Not cheap, but compare it to the cost of a Home!

Pics show QE2 at Barbados, many years ago....

QE2-22.jpg

QE2-65.jpg

QE2-645.jpg

QE2-649.jpg

I already have "that neighbor" living in the house next door, I certainly don't need him in the next stateroom.  But at least he couldn't yell at the neighborhood kids for touching his weedy lawn.😃

Edited by neverbeenhere
Because
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Not cheap, but compare it to the cost of a Home!

So you think you go from the ship to your grave? As I likely mentioned above, what about when you need help bathing, getting in and out of bed, taking your meds? Hopefully you haven't spent all you money by then cause nice assisted living can run $100k/yr.

10 hours ago, clo said:

I'm 73 and understand that it doesn't happen "all the time." 

I am not sure what your age has to do with respect to your comment, but cruise ship deaths do occur on a regular basis from what I understand - just like in life elsewhere. 

Here is some discussion on the subject:

https://emmacruises.com/die-on-cruise-ships/#:~:text=200 People Die on Cruises,and What They Die Of

There are many sources which quote 200 as the number of cruise ship deaths each year. The real number is likely to be higher as not all cruise lines and countries share their death statistics. The majority of deaths that occur onboard cruise ships are from natural causes although some die in accidents, murders, suicides, or overdoses. 

It's not surprising in that the causes of death vary greatly due to the large number of passengers and sizes of ships.

Perhaps your comment really is that the death rate per passenger is low?  That is true but is a different subject.  However, all cruises ships are ready to deal with deaths as they occur on a regular basis.

I recall reading somewhere that a lot of folks with the ship condos or whatever they are called typically only spent part of their time on board.  Like a vacation property perhaps.  I guess I could see that but then they could just book a traditional cruise too.  Everyone's mileage will vary   Me personally, I have too many other activities going to enjoy living on a cruise ship.  I enjoy cruising immensely but can hardly be on a regular cruise for more than two weeks.  Lol.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I recall reading somewhere that a lot of folks with the ship condos or whatever they are called typically only spent part of their time on board.  Like a vacation property perhaps.  I guess I could see that but then they could just book a traditional cruise too.  Everyone's mileage will vary   Me personally, I have too many other activities going to enjoy living on a cruise ship.  I enjoy cruising immensely but can hardly be on a regular cruise for more than two weeks.  Lol.  

I totally agree. After about 14 days, I’m more than ready to jump ship. 

I’m not about to try to to “school” those who do though, especially when it’s unsolicited. Their choice and if it makes them happy, I say go for it. 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I totally agree. After about 14 days, I’m more than ready to jump ship. 

I’m not about to try to to “school” those who do though, especially when it’s unsolicited. Their choice and if it makes them happy, I say go for it. 🙂

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a large number of folks would avoid the "go to" activities that I enjoy.  I have no problem with folks doing their thing -- got for it and enjoy.   

• Like 1

On the 2018 World Cruise on the HAL Amsterdam, we met a woman who had been living for a number of years on the ship.  She was the queen of the ship.  She was ushered to a reserved chair in the theater by a ship's officer.

We chatted with her and she said that her outside view cabin, the food, service & entertainment she enjoyed would cost far more ashore.

I hope no one would argue that a cruise ship living is an acceptable option if needing help dressing, bathing, and caring for oneself. Even if you hired help on the ship (not the crew, brought a nurse onboard) you wouldn’t have the access to medical care you would need.

I do hope that there is a portion in time however, post retirement, but before needing constant care. I could see someone enjoying cruise ship living for that. No need to cook and clean, just enjoy retirement while still healthy.

I don’t think I would be interested however unless I had the money for one of those cruise ship residences. And I don’t see how I would. But the idea of repeating the same itinerary on the same ship with the same meals and same entertainment for months on end, doesn’t appeal to me.

• Like 1