Is Anyone Actually Booking a Cunard Cruise ?

Winchester Ranger

What is surprising me is that non of the Southampton based cruise lines -- certainly those I would consider "local" with a loyal UK following - have rescheduled summer to be more Scenic only or UK only with the chance of it becoming Scenic/blue...

Im sure the demand would be the there - Im wondering if Carnival at this point now know they simply cant a) crew the ships in time and its b) more cost efficient to have them sat in cold  for the summer season..

Our original cruise in Sept 2020 on QM2 to Canada was cancelled so we choose just a 5 day cruise on QM2 this September to use the £1,000 deposit we had paid for our original cruise. Have now just cancelled Sept this year as not keen to cruise with the restrictions in place at the moment i.e.  masks, only seated with who you go on holiday with etc.  Now booked on Queen Victoria for the end of August 2022 so hopefully restrictions may have eased and Covid will also have eased. Had 1st vaccination 2 weeks ago as 70yrs with 2nd vaccination in April . I can't wait to go cruising again safely!!

6 hours ago, merseababe said:

Our original cruise in Sept 2020 on QM2 to Canada was cancelled so we choose just a 5 day cruise on QM2 this September to use the £1,000 deposit we had paid for our original cruise. Have now just cancelled Sept this year as not keen to cruise with the restrictions in place at the moment i.e.  masks, only seated with who you go on holiday with etc.  Now booked on Queen Victoria for the end of August 2022 so hopefully restrictions may have eased and Covid will also have eased. Had 1st vaccination 2 weeks ago as 70yrs with 2nd vaccination in April . I can't wait to go cruising again safely!!

I reluctantly cancelled the same September 2021 cruise on Wednesday.  I would have loved to have gone, as like so many, was looking forward to being on Queen Mary 2 again.   However, as I discussed with Cunard, there's still too many ifs and buts, and at the very least would expect many restrictions.  I have had both vaccinations due to working in the NHS, but I also work on board cruise ships at our local port, and it's looking like the season here will be either severely curtailed or non-existent.   I've re-booked for autumn 2022.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 3:57 PM, showingdiva said:

I reluctantly cancelled the same September 2021 cruise on Wednesday.  I would have loved to have gone, as like so many, was looking forward to being on Queen Mary 2 again.   However, as I discussed with Cunard, there's still too many ifs and buts, and at the very least would expect many restrictions.  I have had both vaccinations due to working in the NHS, but I also work on board cruise ships at our local port, and it's looking like the season here will be either severely curtailed or non-existent.   I've re-booked for autumn 2022.

I  am close to xing our xmass 21 cruise ............not feeling 22 either but maybe with a surviving line. 

On 2/15/2021 at 5:29 PM, newjoisey said:

I  am close to xing our xmass 21 cruise ............not feeling 22 either but maybe with a surviving line. 

Ohoh, a "surviving line?" Don't be so pessimistic. I believe in Cunard's excellence.

We are booked on the first currently scheduled QV out of Southampton this May.  It will be interesting to see if it actually sets sail, and what the requirements are in order to cruise. Also, since we are coming from the US what will the UK entry requirements be.

My husband has already had his two shots, I’m hope to get mine in the next round and keeping my fingers crossed that I will have my shots well before May.  Finally, we’re hoping that having vaccinations, will make things a lot easier.  We’re OK with still wearing a mask in crowded spaces, but not when we’re  social distancing or outside.

We also booked a crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona for August 2022, can’t remember if it’s the QE or the QV.  Hoping life will be back to “normal” by then.

18 hours ago, njpln said:

We are booked on the first currently scheduled QV out of Southampton this May.  It will be interesting to see if it actually sets sail, and what the requirements are in order to cruise. Also, since we are coming from the US what will the UK entry requirements be.

My husband has already had his two shots, I’m hope to get mine in the next round and keeping my fingers crossed that I will have my shots well before May.  Finally, we’re hoping that having vaccinations, will make things a lot easier.  We’re OK with still wearing a mask in crowded spaces, but not when we’re  social distancing or outside.

We also booked a crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona for August 2022, can’t remember if it’s the QE or the QV.  Hoping life will be back to “normal” by then.

I will be very surprised if our government allow any cruise ships to sail from the UK in May. We had a cruise booked with another cruise line leaving and returning to Southampton in May and we cancelled it 2-3 months ago and moved it to another cruise in May 2022.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 8:57 PM, showingdiva said:

We will also be moving this cruise because even if a miracle happened and it was to go ahead we don't like the protocols which would still be in place.  The only reason we haven't done it now is that we're waiting for the early 2023 itineraries to be published.  Hopefully by then things will have improved.  Let's be honest, part of Cunard's charm is the mixed dining.  We've had some super table companions over the years .

Can't be long before the itineraries are published?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Hopefully by then things will have improved.  Let's be honest, part of Cunard's charm is the mixed dining.  We've had some super table companions over the years .

We haven't been on Cunard before. What is meant by mixed dining please?

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

We will also be moving this cruise because even if a miracle happened and it was to go ahead we don't like the protocols which would still be in place.  The only reason we haven't done it now is that we're waiting for the early 2023 itineraries to be published.  Hopefully by then things will have improved.  Let's be honest, part of Cunard's charm is the mixed dining.  We've had some super table companions over the years .

I changed to the almost identical cruise in September 2022 (minus Cherbourg).  I, too, held off a while but with 2022 filling up and wanting a specific cabin, the decision became easy, if regretful, in the end.   The next set of itineraries would usually be March, but as we all know, nothing is very normal at the moment.

1 hour ago, Bertie Doe said:

You have an assigned dinner table (for Britannia at a particular seating) - and so do the other folks at your table.

Mrs Bear and I prefer a six seat table, so four other folks are our regular dinner companions.

1 hour ago, Bertie Doe said:

A larger table, perhaps 6 or 8, consisting of 3/4 couples or a mixture of couples and single travellers.

Currently won't be allowed, so couples will dine together at a small table and singles will dine on their own.

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

Did you book that with an agency and will that agency okay to let you move it and did you move it before the final payment was due? We have booked 26 night 3 ship affair final payment date August and yeah I don't like the protocols either.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Did you book that with an agency and will that agency okay to let you move it and did you move it before the final payment was due? We have booked 26 night 3 ship affair final payment date August and yeah I don't like the protocols either.

We booked with a travel agent. The original booking was for October of last year but before the balance was due we transferred the booking to this year with no problems. One phone call to the TA and they did the rest.  Unfortunately the 2022 dates for this cruise don't work for us otherwise we would have just moved it again.  Not sure what we'll do, whether to book for late 2022 or go into 2023. It's difficult, but at the moment you can transfer bookings as many times as you like. Whether this will change or not I don't know.

• Thanks 1

Ah thanks TOB and Showingdiva, it seems that Mixed Dining is a great idea. Bound to make for a very friendly atmosphere. A chance to share the day's onshore experiences. On the other hand, if you didn't gel, you could always have a word with the maitre d ?

3 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

Unless you're in the Grills, you will be assigned a table in the Britannia dining room, either 1st or 2nd sitting and that is the table you will sit at every evening.  Breakfast and lunch are different tables (either just the two of you or you can join another table).  As I said earlier, over the years we've had some really interesting people.  One was an English Literature teacher in one of the tougher men's prisons in the UK (can't remember which).  Apparently the prisoners loved the classes, Romeo and Juliet being a particular favourite !!  He also helped them choose and write sonnets to their wives and girlfriends.  And we shared a table with a couple from Canada who told us about the wine industry.  I didn't even know that there was one.

At the moment mixed tables will not be allowed.

20 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Ah thanks TOB and Showingdiva, it seems that Mixed Dining is a great idea. Bound to make for a very friendly atmosphere. A chance to share the day's onshore experiences. On the other hand, if you didn't gel, you could always have a word with the maitre d ?

Yes, if you don't 'gel' just ask to be moved.

3 hours ago, babs135 said:

We booked with a travel agent. The original booking was for October of last year but before the balance was due we transferred the booking to this year with no problems. One phone call to the TA and they did the rest.  Unfortunately the 2022 dates for this cruise don't work for us otherwise we would have just moved it again.  Not sure what we'll do, whether to book for late 2022 or go into 2023. It's difficult, but at the moment you can transfer bookings as many times as you like. Whether this will change or not I don't know.

Thanks I will chance my arm as they say and ring them up and see what happens.

On 2/4/2021 at 11:19 AM, kfulwell said:

We're booked for January 2022, Dubai to Singapore.  The only restriction that would bother me unduly would be having to only go on Cunard-organised port trips.  Hopefully that won't be in place by then, but if it is, I'll deal with it.

We just booked the same cruise this morning. We were scheduled to sail on Crystal last spring doing the same itinerary, so this is our opportunity to see Dubai again and spend some time in Singapore. I can’t wait to sail again!

• Like 1

We are booked on QV for the Med on 5th June.  I find the Cunard website at best difficult to navigate and find up-to-date info.  I understand that Cunard are not currently accepting any further bookings except for cruises sailing after 21st June.  However, that doesn't give us any confidence that they will actually operate this cruise and we are at a point where we need to firm up plans around our business while we are away.  Furthermore, we are still not clear on the likely on-board protocols: is it correct that we'l have to wear face masks outside the cabin (we have both had our vaccinations)?  Will dining be restricted to 2 to a table (we are travelling with our business partner and his wife)?  If Cunard cannot provide definitive answers to these questions then we are inclined to postpone yet again and roll our payment to 2022. I really think that Cunard could be doing a much better job of communicating.

1 hour ago, Sixfielder said:

Will dining be restricted to 2 to a table (we are travelling with our business partner and his wife)?  If Cunard cannot provide definitive answers to these questions then we are inclined to postpone yet again and roll our payment to 2022. I really think that Cunard could be doing a much better job of communicating.

Not been updated since December, but this should give you some idea of what to expect.  You can also use this link to find other information you may need

Your Cunard experience - Sailing with Cunard - Cunard Luxury Cruises