Mandate the vaccine and establish a realistic start date

18 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

There has been so much baseless, evidence-free magical thinking on CC ever since last February ... week after week of blindingly unrealistic posts proclaiming we'll all be cruising again in a couple of months.

Each time reality proved otherwise, these "optimists" just added a month to their "we're going back to normal soon,

gang!" nonsense.

Wrong time after time after time.

Add in all those posts rehashing coronavirus denial, "it's all a hoax" propaganda, "blame the CDC" rhetoric and "they can't make me wear mask" tantrums, and you can sees these boards as a microcosm of all that's gone wrong with America. And why America's response  to COVID has been among the weakest on the globe ... and why America stands no chance for normal cruising anytime in the foreseeable future.

Want to get Oasis and the rest of the fleet back in the game as soon as possible? Mask up. And fire every contractor - and boycott every store - that doesn't scrupulously follow mask and distancing rules. 

Yes, “kill” them all! The sooner the better! Unbelievable! I lived as I stated under such “rules” half of my life (31 years), and nothing positive came out of them for 104 years (even now when they pretend to go non-draconian path). Is this where our perfect new way of living leads us?

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The rules aren't the issue. The haphazard, random, inconsistent and seemingly politically-motivated and power hungry creation of the rules that's the issue.  Why is it safe to fly in a tiny metal tube for 4-5-6 hours but not in a gigantic ship with plenty of private areas and open air?

Why can a hotel resort on land be opened, but one on water can't?

Why were masks, lockdowns quarantines NOT advised for pandemics based on decades of science prior to March, yet after March suddenly that's the way to do things?

This sort of thinking suggests that there should only be one speed limit, and that all food should be stored at 0F. 

When cruise ships recirculate the entire interior air volume evey three minutes through hepa filters you can ask why the rules are different for airplanes.

When passengers can reach a ventilator equipped er in 15 minutes, you can ask why the rules are different for land based hotels.

As has been often said, those who cannot remember history are doomed to repeat it. Masks were mandated over a hundred years ago during the Influenza pandemic.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, ATG said:

Um, huh?  I’m afraid I don’t understand your comments.  Perhaps autocorrect or typos, but this doesn’t make sense to me.

A few typos made the whole statement non-readable? Hm... or perhaps, it is my way of thinking...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Honestly, Fox has done more to curdle America's common sense than heroin ever could. 

According to the person's profile you responded to, they are not from America

Edited by sgmn

16 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, the entire post makes absolutely no sense at all, typos or otherwise 

What occurred on the Ponant cruise is true. What Canada issued is true. “100 days to lock everyone” is true. No one cares from “above” about our lives is true, too; otherwise, it would be the perfect world (AKA Utopia) that as we know does not exists. So, what is non-sense? Non-sense is to push people to the suicidal extreme. There is an expression -  “the road to hell is paved with good intentions”.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Remember back when all we had to do was wear masks and use social distancing to return to normal?

The minute the vaccine entered the picture, masks and social distancing no longer meant anything. Now it's "everyone needs vaccined to return to normal"

I think you left out a very important word.... return to normal... sooner.

16 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

What occurred on the Ponant cruise is true. What Canada issued is true. “100 days to lock everyone” is true. No one cares from “above” about our lives is true, too; otherwise, it would be the perfect world (AKA Utopia) that as we know does not exists. So, what is non-sense? Non-sense is to push people to the suicidal extreme. There is an expression -  “the road to hell is paved with good intentions”.

You aren’t helping your case, sorry 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What, exactly, is it that you are going to sue the doctor for that provided the vaccine to you, or to some other patient? What would your plan be for the doctor who advised you not to get the vaccine after you are discharged from the hospital after recovering, assuming you actually live to discharge, from a covid infection?

I just love these legal types who are so ready to sue even though it appears you know little yourself about the vaccines. You know even less what it is like in a Covid unit or you would most likely not be demanding 100% guarantees. The only way you get those types of guarentees is with hindsight... something that the legal profession thrives on in spades but not so much the medical profession.

Now, go sue the snot out of someone.

This country has a big problem with too many lawyers and not enough doctors.  My daughter's total salary for 3 years of residency and 3 years of fellowship was less than what I paid for her 4 years in med school.  Meanwhile law schools keep churning out thousands of hot shots who earn six figures on day one by suing the snot out of people.  With many courts closed lets put the lawyers to work assisting at vaccine clinics and food pantries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

By being obscure?

No, by living under totalitarian pressure for first half of my life (31 years) in Russia (not far away from what I see now  in where I came and thought would be safe from madness). Good luck everyone not to vanish in new hypocritical waters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kirtihk said:

I know, everything what does not fit the agenda is a “lie”. That’s how I actually learned to survive in this cruel world.

The problem, my good man, is we have no idea what your agenda is. Your posts are very obtuse and vague with references that no one can comprehend without footnotes (which have not been provided) 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 2:40 PM, Suncoastsailors said:

Today 6.5 % of the nation is vaccinated. If cruise lines would mandate the vaccine for crew and passengers and give a realistic start date. Those who want to cruise can focus on getting the vaccine. Let the ports of call know that all crew and passengers will be vaccinated. This seems like the answer to cruises returning. Testing can be relaxed, ship precautions can be reduced. Even if someone gets the virus onboard it won't spread to other passengers or crew. Those who don't want the vaccine can cancel, but those still booked on cruise ships want to cruise.

Now that just won't work!  That's too logical.  What will all the goverment agencies do then?  And all the pessimists, naysayers, the cynics.  They would have nothing to do.  I think you're just trying to create more problems.  Better to leave it all alone and continue this pandemic indefinitely.  Besides, no one wants to be over this and back to normal.  Suncoasters you need to stop trying to upset the satus quo and just accept the uncertainty like everyone else.  That way we'll still have much to talk about here on CC.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ATG said:

Um, huh?  I’m afraid I don’t understand your comments.  Perhaps autocorrect or typos, but this doesn’t make sense to me.

I don't think the PC police allow you to say that, ATG.  Someone might get offended.

BTW:  It doesn't make sense to me either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

No, by living under totalitarian pressure for first half of my life (31 years) in Russia (not far away from what I see now  in where I came and thought would be safe from madness). Good luck everyone not to vanish in new hypocritical waters.

Careful.  The speech police are probably watching.  And believe me, I know eactly what you are saying.

No one is safe anymore.

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The rules aren't the issue. The haphazard, random, inconsistent and seemingly politically-motivated and power hungry creation of the rules that's the issue.  Why is it safe to fly in a tiny metal tube for 4-5-6 hours but not in a gigantic ship with plenty of private areas and open air?

Why can a hotel resort on land be opened, but one on water can't?

Why were masks, lockdowns quarantines NOT advised for pandemics based on decades of science prior to March, yet after March suddenly that's the way to do things?

You do realize that 103 years ago during the 1918 Spanish flu, masks were mandated, schools and public amusement places closed along with other things that are being done during today's pandemic?  Virus knowledge was at its infancy, but even then, the scientists knew that masks contained spread. I am not sure where you get the information that masks and lockdowns are new things for pandemics.

During the 1918 Pandemic, 'Mask Slackers' Were Labeled as Unpatriotic -  HISTORY

As for travel, Airplanes land in a few hours. The people disembark and they are still within hours or even minutes of a hospital if they come down with covid.  The passenger load/risk of transmission changes every few hours. 200 people exposed for 4-6 hours is far different than 2,000 people exposed to the same people for several days.  Additionally, if there is an outbreak on a cruise ship, they are in the middle of the ocean with the dubious task of now finding a port to offload positive cruisers.  

It is pretty simple to ascertain the differences between air travel and cruising.

Edited by cured
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, fandash03 said:

why is it when someone doesn't agree with something for them and they express their views ... it doesn't take long for people to make out they are selfish... I am not selfish person but I do believe I have the right to chose what I put in my body... and a vaccine that IMO has been rushed too quickly to be Able to determine its safety is not for me.. it takes years to determine side effects I was basically putting forward MY views on ME and MY FAMILY being able to decide whether we want the vaccination or not ... and our choice is not to and to just let the immune system do what it is supposed to.  I am not criticising or anything for people who want the vaccination as that is their choice but what I was saying is that if I make that choice and it is mandatory is does not seem right to me that we would have to get it to resume cruising but like I Said even though we would be sad to not cruise if that is what we would need to do then we would need to and we would seek out a different holiday for us 

You absolutely have the right to offer yourself up as a willing host to allow the virus to mutate. If you don't want the vaccine, not sure of the laws in Scotland, but in the US (at least so far) you will not be forced to get the vaccine.

In the same vein, just as you have the right to make a choice best for you, businesses like cruise lines have the right to make choices that are best for them.  If they feel that they will entice more customers if they mandate the vaccine, the bottom line will dictate they do so.  It is very fair that each entity gets to make the choice that is best for them.  What would be unfair is for you to demand that everyone makes the same choice as you in order for you to get your way. 

Choices always have consequences. If you choose not to vaccinate, your entrance into some businesses may be limited.  If the cruise line mandates vaccine, they run the risk it will backfire. But if you make a choice, you have to accept the consequences.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Indeed, our country is overwhelmed with fuzzy thinkers who believe utter inanity .... including the fiction that they could successfully sue for their supposed "right" to cruise unvaccinated.

It's as if 39 percent of the population abruptly abandoned any critical thinking whatsoever & decided to go full-speed unicorn. 

Madness has been spreading every bit as badly as the virus.

Intelligence is a bell curve. Just didn't really realize how many were actually on the left leg of the bell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Remember back when all we had to do was wear masks and use social distancing to return to normal?

The minute the vaccine entered the picture, masks and social distancing no longer meant anything. Now it's "everyone needs vaccined to return to normal"

Not so sure about that. From the beginning, it was said that masks and social distancing were needed to get us through UNTIL a vaccine was available. Even early last year, the predictions were for a vaccine in approximately 18 months. Masks were never touted as a replacement for vaccines, just as a stopgap until a vaccine was available.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 1:32 PM, firefly333 said:

Well it would have to be after nov 1 2021 as the cdc has mandated tested until then. I'm hoping they can find a way to cruise before the cdc order lifts.

Well, that's a bummer. I was hoping that we would have gotten away from testing by the time our October cruise sails as I'm pretty sure we will have been vaccinated by then but, if we'll still have to be tested, we'll reschedule again (for the 5th time).  I've had to take a PCR test & it is not an experience I care to add to my vacation.  Can you please tell me where you found this info?  Thank you.

5 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

Well, that's a bummer. I was hoping that we would have gotten away from testing by the time our October cruise sails as I'm pretty sure we will have been vaccinated by then but, if we'll still have to be tested, we'll reschedule again (for the 5th time).  I've had to take a PCR test & it is not an experience I care to add to my vacation.  Can you please tell me where you found this info?  Thank you.

I'm sure there are many threads regarding the 40 page cdc protocols issued last oct 31, 2020. It was when they lifted the no sail order. 

• Thanks 1