The Daily for Friday Jan 29, 2021

richwmn

[color=green]today is National Puzzle Day, Curmudgeon's Day, and National Big Wig Day [/color]

There's an old proverb that says just about whatever you want it to.

Meal suggestion for today - Italian Beef Hoagies

Drink of the Day - Bellini

Wine of the day - Brady Vineyard 2018 Zinfandel (Paso Robles) Central Coast

at Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Westerdam
Zuiderdam

Long Beach Anchorage
Koningsdam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0129US-W.thumb.png.7c4c325251f19d33b47a0e0f3ed4f07c.png

0129US-E.thumb.png.c6238555d82ea04e87c891e223df9dbf.png

0129Tor.thumb.png.dcbf1712d65bf042dc7a6dad720b26ca.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Friday (for real) Daily, Rich.  I hope I am not being too much of a Curmudgeon.  My puzzle of choice is Sudoku.  I think we have too many self appointed big wigs.  So true on the quote.  I'll pass on the Hoagie.  My alternative is Chilled Apple Vichyssoise, Celebration of Fruit Cocktail, and Penang Red Curry Coconut Chicken, as served on MS Masdam January 29, 2015.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

RIP Cicely Tyson

Mamaofami’s friend’s final days, but resting comfortably

HAL (and other crews)

Kazu’s nephew and her BIL’s mom

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional posters including St.Louis Sal

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

A good appointment for cat shepard

Suture remover for Marley

Serendipitous jab for lazey1

Covid sniffing dogs for NBA

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  It's Friday!

Thanks for the Daily.

Great collection of days.  I love puzzles, especially crossword and sudoku.  I can be a curmudgeon sometimes.  I don't have any wigs, big or otherwise.

The quote is spot on!

Thanks for the meal suggestions, but I think we will do take out from a local restaurant.

Praying for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 15

National Puzzle Day! That is perfect. Our home is overflowing with jigsaw puzzles dropped off by friends who want them out of their homes. We must have finished 20 or more these past months after not doing one for many years.

I would love a Bellini as I work on a puzzle. 

DGS and DD  visited after 35 days and that same evening they tested positive, so we are quarantined. Caregivers for my 96 yr old DM can’t come as well as home health workers. 14 days seem like a loooong time! Lots of puzzle time.  Thankfully no symptoms here so far and the DD and DGS are having mild symptoms.

Thanks for the smile each morning. 

Double masks. Don’t stop being careful. (message to myself!)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good Friday morning.  I'm right today, I think. It's in the low 40's so my brain is frozen.

Puzzle day, love it.  We have finished close to 50 since things shut down in March. 

The cat is the big wig in our home. 

And I joke and call my DH a curmudgeon at times. 

Great quote!!  The meal sounds good as does Roy's.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list.  And a big shout out to the covid sniffing dogs.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Bellini:

A Bellini is a cocktail made with Prosecco and peach purée or nectar. It originated in Venice, Italy. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 2 oz Fresh peach purée, 4 oz Prosecco, White peaches
Preparation: Pour peach puree into chilled flute, add Prosecco. Stir gently.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Drinkware: Champagne flute

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 6.48.53 AM.png

• Like 18

16 minutes ago, doobieb said:

National Puzzle Day! That is perfect. Our home is overflowing with jigsaw puzzles dropped off by friends who want them out of their homes. We must have finished 20 or more these past months after not doing one for many years.

DGS and DD  visited after 35 days and that same evening they tested positive, so we are quarantined. Caregivers for my 96 yr old DM can’t come as well as home health workers. 14 days seem like a loooong time! Lots of puzzle time.  Thankfully no symptoms here so far and the DD and DGS are having mild symptoms.

Sending best wishes your way.

Roy

• Like 7

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a wild combo of days! Love almost any type of puzzle. Most Curmudgeons have hearts of gold. I have too much hair to wear most hats, so never owned any type of wig. I almost want to tag all our Floridian Dailyites on your Florida map. I am just off the very top of the map, but.....

Roy, bless you for keeping up with our lists. Both meals sound great. How true is that quote! My first Bellini was at a cocktail hour welcoming me to my hotel in Venice. It was a lovely visit. Today I have to curtail my activities again. My foot is a bit sore when I step down with it, but so far, so good. Again, I thank you all for your support. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone!

Zinfandel lovers - add this California 2018 vintage to your list “crushed stones” and all. A stellar rating and a good number of distributors with prices starting at $16.99!
Winemaker Notes

#14 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

The 2018 Brady Vineyard Zinfandel is rich and luxurious, featuring deep crimson color and aromas reminiscent of raspberry, and black pepper with subtle notes of vanilla and spice. On tasting, it shows opulent texture, gentle acidity, and savory bramble berry flavors with a hint of velvety oak that lengthens the finish.

WE96 Wine Enthusiast: Dense aromas of black currant, red flowers and charred meat are wrapped in a rocky edge on the nose of this bottling. There is great cohesion to the palate, where rich red fruits are cut by crushed stone flavors, lifted by savory spice and framed by ample acidity and tannins. Editors' Choice.

• Like 20

52 minutes ago, doobieb said:

6 minutes ago, doobieb said:

Thank you, Roy. Remote prayers and good wishes are so helpful.

Debbie

Hoping you continue to have no symptoms and your family heals quickly.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a wild combo of days! Love almost any type of puzzle. Most Curmudgeons have hearts of gold. I have too much hair to wear most hats, so never owned any type of wig. I almost want to tag all our Floridian Dailyites on your Florida map. I am just off the very top of the map, but.....

Roy, bless you for keeping up with our lists. Both meals sound great. How true is that quote! My first Bellini was at a cocktail hour welcoming me to my hotel in Venice. It was a lovely visit. Today I have to curtail my activities again. My foot is a bit sore when I step down with it, but so far, so good. Again, I thank you all for your support. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone!

Zinfandel lovers - add this California 2018 vintage to your list “crushed stones” and all. A stellar rating and a good number of distributors with prices starting at $16.99!
Winemaker Notes

#14 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

The 2018 Brady Vineyard Zinfandel is rich and luxurious, featuring deep crimson color and aromas reminiscent of raspberry, and black pepper with subtle notes of vanilla and spice. On tasting, it shows opulent texture, gentle acidity, and savory bramble berry flavors with a hint of velvety oak that lengthens the finish.

WE96 Wine Enthusiast: Dense aromas of black currant, red flowers and charred meat are wrapped in a rocky edge on the nose of this bottling. There is great cohesion to the palate, where rich red fruits are cut by crushed stone flavors, lifted by savory spice and framed by ample acidity and tannins. Editors' Choice.

Because of what you said about where on the map you were, I remembered that we spent our honeymoon in Ormand Beach, soon to be 51 years ago. It was at a little place which has since been swallowed up by high rise hotels or condos. I was enthralled with driving on the beach, which we did, in our 1969 candy apple red convertible. Good times.

• Like 15

Thank you for the daily report and for keeping my friend on the care list.

I’m up early today to make a garage door visit from the car to my grandson who is returning to the University of Rochester for his second semester as a freshman. It’s a 12 hour drive round trip and my daughter is planning to go up and back in one day. Hopefully she’ll be back before our expected snow Sunday night.

I do a Sudoku puzzle every morning to keep my brain working. A Bellini is interesting because my maiden name is Bellin.

Stay safe and double mask.

Carol

• Like 20

Thanks for the DAILY Flleet report.  Green is one of my favorite colors.  Since it is Friday, I will be eating fish--probably cod.   Roy, thanks for the care list.  My best to all posters and readers of this thread.

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, superoma said:

Because of what you said about where on the map you were, I remembered that we spent our honeymoon in Ormand Beach, soon to be 51 years ago. It was at a little place which has since been swallowed up by high rise hotels or condos. I was enthralled with driving on the beach, which we did, in our 1969 candy apple red convertible. Good times.

Ahhh, the white sand beaches.  

• Like 3

Good morning, everyone.   

It is a snowy morning here.  It snowed off and on all day yesterday and we have a couple inches on the ground.  The big thing is the cold.  I hate to go out in it, but I do need groceries and I like to go before the weekend.  There are just too many people there on the weekend.  

Today's meal is easy.  There is just a long prep time as this is a slow cooker meal.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/italian-beef-hoagies/

Have a great day!

• Like 11

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I traditionally do 1 puzzle a year, right after Christmas - I take over the dining room table and go to work.  In addition, I enjoy Sudoku and word jumbles in the daily newspaper.  I called DH a curmudgeon the other day and he said "Yes, and proud of it!"  I had a wig in high school, but it wasn't big.

A nice meal suggestion today, and one I will make in the future, but for now we have to start eating up some of our leftovers.  I'm pretty sure dinner tonight will be turkey soup, beef sheet pan dinner and brownies.  And wine.

Our Covid numbers are going the wrong direction, now we're all being advised to double mask.  I've been making a 3-D type with a pocket, which actually gives 4 layers of protection with the filter, which I'm hoping will help keep people safe.  I can't wait until we can all walk around freely once more; I miss our friends and most of all, our family.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Toasting all with raised wine glasses who are on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask (s)!

25+ of the best wine memes ever created

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 16

Good morning, all, and thanks to Rich and Roy and the drinks ladies.  I think I've made it to the first page.  I must be up early - I plan to go to the grocery store in 15 minutes for senior hour.  Not that I think anyone pays any attention to the sign outside that says senior hour....  Anyway, it won't be crowded at 7 a.m.

We have been double-masking for weeks now,  I just hope it works with the new variants around.  No vaccine here for a while.  

• Like 12

We usually do the crossword, sudoku, and a word jumble from the paper each day. On HAL cruises, I would always search out the puzzle sheets in the Crow's Nest each morning to do with our morning coffees. 

I think we will have salmon tonight, perhaps with Old Bay seasoning. I'm still thinking about the side dishes. 

These pictures are from our first HAL cruise in November 2002 over Thanksgiving. This was the sail-away from Saint Thomas -

DSC00542.thumb.JPG.b4b19a4f631c5bb1ab99187b05e83490.JPG

DSC00547.thumb.JPG.7b210ff7e80440a50ab3804037884f5d.JPG

DSC00549.thumb.JPG.710bb33f5fa644e192a1e8d43af6c8e3.JPG

DSC00552.thumb.JPG.664bfea645f5b2b3d1365fc5300d031c.JPG

• Like 20