The Daily for Sunday Jan 31, 2021

richwmn

today is Backward Day, Inspire Your Heart with Art Day, and National Hot Chocolate Day

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
        -- W. C. Fields

Meal suggestion for today - Sloppy Joe Pizza

Drink of the Day - Daiquiri

Wine of the day - Domaine Chandon Brute - California - Sparkling

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Long Beach eta 2/3
Noordam
Westerdam
Zuiderdam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0131World.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Thank you Rich for the last daily of January 2021.  Sometimes things do seem to be moving backwards although US numbers are starting to improve; I just hope new strains don't put too much of a monkey wrench in the works.  I don't drink much hot chocolate but enjoy it, and salute our artists, including some really creative mask makers.  WC Fields was on the money.  I like the sloppy joe pizza idea and will have an alternate suggestion later as I'm running late this morning.  I hope I got things right on the lists, I pretty much rushed through them.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

doobieb quarantined until February 12; DD and DGS with Covid

durangoscots hoping for safe travel to her shots

Sharon’s mother and  daughter (but both improving)

Mamaofami’s friend’s final days, but resting comfortably

HAL (and other crews)

Kazu’s nephew and her BIL’s mom

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Unexpected first jabs for me and Smitty34877

Vaccinators includilng 65gator and 57redbird

Jabs for cunnorl and TheKingD, cruisy-suzy, and Quartzite Cruisers

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good Sunday morning.  I remember backward day when I was teaching.  The kids and I laughed so much at our clothes on backwards.  I make papercrafts so art always inspires me.  It's cold this morning, 43 degrees, so Hot Chocolate would be perfect.

W.C. Fields always had something unique to say.

The meal sounds good and will inspire me to make just sloppy joes for dinner tonight.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Daiquiri:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz White rum, 1 oz Lime juice, 1/2 oz Simple syrup
Preparation: Pour all ingredients into shaker with ice cubes. Shake well. Strain in chilled cocktail glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Half a lime slice

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 6.50.01 AM.png

• Like 20

Good morning.

Thanks for the Daily!

Backward Day.  Some days it feels like I can't get anything done.

This is good hot chocolate weather.  It's -11C (12F) here this morning.  I don't think Bertie will get a long walk this morning.

Love the quote from WC Fields.

That's an interesting meal suggestion, but I took a chicken out of the freezer for our supper tonight.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful last day of January.

Stay safe.

• Like 16

Thank for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What an interesting collection of days!  If going out the back door counts for Backward Day, I celebrate every day taking my dogs out 😉 

It’s -24 C (-11 F) this morning so hot chocolate will be enjoyed by many.

Love the W. C. Fields quote!  Not a Sloppy Joe fan so I’ll pass on the meal suggestion.  Had a beautiful ham (if I say so myself) last night for dinner so I think we may have left over ham & scalloped potatoes or a good stew.

A daiquiri sounds great but it’s way too cold for one so I’ll wait until we are on a blue hulled beauty in warmer weather.

Lots of people on the East Coast facing winter weather and a Winter Wonderland over the next couple of days:

3300A00E-49DF-4A8C-BA37-569FF6CE99AE.thumb.jpeg.0851e940e6f80093181441f4870a923c.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a huge toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Sunday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

22E3317C-FA86-40BF-966D-B8994BF65D4D.thumb.jpeg.e7e1eb434952325edd651aa84fbeda44.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Haha 2

Thanks to all of you who make this my "go to place" every morning. My husband and I were lucky today to be able to get our first jab too. Our previous appointment was for mid March so we are very happy.

Sloppy Joe pizza sounds great to me. And love the "wonderland" cartoon. Have a great day, everyone.

• Like 17

Today's alternate meal suggestion is Watermelon Gazpacho, Verse Fruit Salad, Surf and Turf (Turf for me), and Vanilla Ice Cream, as served on MS Prinsendam January 31, 2019. 

dishes31.jpg

It was an orange gala in honor of Princess Beatrix, who is 83 years young TODAY.

orangegala.jpg

The penguins were appropriately attired for the occasion:

orangepenguins.jpg

My left (injection) arm is quite sore this morning.  Not a steady pain but I really notice it when I extend the arm.

Roy

• Like 27

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another great combo of days. Sometimes I feel as if things are going backwards - perhaps I celebrate it too early. 

Sorry your arm is sore this morning, Roy, but happy you got your jab! As always, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites! Best wishes to all of you facing the storm. This is why I am in Florida. Though it seems no matter where I have lived, Nor’easters always bring the worst weather for me.

Great quote, meal & drink! Looking forward to winning the vaccine lottery soon. And can not wait until I can resume my normal activity level. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

Very good ratings & a great price makes this sparkling wine one that I might add to my list. I found quite a few of distributors with prices starting at $14.99. 

Winemaker Notes

This wine offers the balance and elegance that has become Chandon's hallmark style. When you taste Brut Classic, look for nutty flavors with hints of brioche that build to a refreshingly dry finish. The wine delivers complex apple and pear characteristics accented by citrus spice over notes of almond and caramel in the bouquet. Chandon California Brut is great with anything salty, creamy or nutty. 
WW91 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: This wine is subtle, fresh, almost complex, and perfect. Its aromas and flavors of dried herbs, tart fruit, and chalk would be a beautiful way to start dinner. (Tasted: July 18, 2020, San Francisco, CA)
WE90

Wine Enthusiast: Rich with ripe fruit and mellow spices, this medium-bodied wine offers a broad texture, finegrained bubbles and good complexity in its bakingspice, apple and pear flavors.
  • Like 20

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Wow, can you believe we made it through January already?  I don't want to go backward, but certainly remember how much fun it was when we had backward days at school.  Love hot chocolate, especially the thick slurry you get in Spain with a churro to dip.  Yum!  I have to admit, I'm the world's worst artist (even my stick people are unrecognizable), so I certainly admire those with artistic talent.

@kazuyou're freezing compared to us; right now we're at -12C (+10F) - I feel your pain though, as this warm trend likely won't last long.

Two great meal suggestions - I'll have to try the sloppy joe pizza one day, although with my luck, all the toppings will slide off.   LOL   I love the surf & turf that @rafinmdhas shown - my preference would be the surf and no turf.  I haven't had watermelon gazpacho since we were on a HAL ship - thanks for bringing back that memory!  I made a huge pot of hamburger soup yesterday, freezing a lot of it, but saving enough for us for dinner tonight.  That along with a fresh batch of buns will be what's on our dinner table this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wineglasses to toast all on the celebration list, especially those who were able to get their jabs!  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 20

1 minute ago, ger_77 said:

I love the surf & turf that @rafinmdhas shown - my preference would be the surf and no turf.  I haven't had watermelon gazpacho since we were on a HAL ship - thanks for bringing back that memory! 

We should sail together some time.  We both could get doubles of our preference.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

We should sail together some time.  We both could get doubles of our preference.

Roy

You're right!  That's what DH and I do -  I order 2 surfs, he orders 2 turfs, and everybody's happy!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 7

Good morning, everyone!

Today would be a great day for hot chocolate in northeast Ohio.  We expect a high of 27 and snow showers throughout the day.  We are not getting the big snows that are heading to the northeast.  

Painting progresses.  I should be able to easily finish up today.  Trim is all done and 1 1/2 walls along with a third of the ceiling.  It got to dark to continue yesterday even with lamps.  I'll be happy to be able to put the room back in order.   I slept in one of the other bedrooms last night and it wasn't a restful night.  

Tonight's meal sounds good.   It seems easy enough.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sloppy-joe-pizza/  Roy's alternative meal sounds really good.

@rafinmdMy sister had a really sore arm and felt like crap yesterday after her second jab on Friday.  She said she could barely get out of her chair.   She is much better today and feels human again.  

• Like 15

Good Morning Everyone.

DH and I had our first shots last nite. Very organized and went smoothly. Stayed in car the whole time. Lots of helpers directing and checking paperwork. Kudos to the organizers. DH has a sore arm (like a flu shot)  but I am fine.

We are going out on the Banana River with 2 of our friends again today. Makes for a great afternoon and it is the only time my DD ( disabled) gets out of the house. So a good day!

Be safe and please wear a mask!

• Like 17

Thanks, as usual, to Rich and Roy for the Daily...

Happy to be able to check in this morning...  Our small county just posted that we have given 6,000 vaccines as of last Wednesday and have 1,400 doses for this coming week.  The bad news is that there are still 13,000 eligible still on the waiting list. My CW (crazy wife) is on the list for second injection on Friday, 12 Feb.  I'm working both of the next two Mondays and that Friday.  Even though it is busy, it is well organized.  One of the biggest frustrations is that they have to turn away folks who "drop in" since the county is keeping the eligible list and sends it to us for each clinic.

Love the Sloppy Joe Pizza suggestion.  I already had the recipe but haven't made it yet.  I made Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese a week or so ago.  Have also tried a Sloppy Joe Casserole a few months ago.

Please wear your mask...

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. We got a dusting of snow but the worst of the storm stayed south of us (think Detroit Michigan for location). But it is chilly and windy. I will be close to the menu suggestion for once - we are having pizza, a what’s in the fridge pizza. I love making the pizza dough. It is so cathartic to knead the dough. Last night I made the fish with feta and tomatoes from a few days ago and dh loved it.

stay warm, stay safe, stay sane

• Like 16