Good News - CDC issues mask order to (hopefully) allow cruising to resume!

ScratchTheRat

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24289-cdc-order-to-require-passengers-to-wear-masks-on-ships.html

Here the CDC say as of midnight tomorrow, masks will be needed to be worn on all cruise ships. This is GOOD news in my opinion as it shows they are finding ways to get the cruise industry moving.

Soon ❤️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't really see that changing anything other than mandating for the rest of the transportation industry what we assumed would be required for cruise ships already.  All discussion said masks would be required on ships until the virus is under control.  And unfortunately, that's got a long way to go.  But I'm glad the other industries will be using masks more now.  Maybe that will help a bit.  

• Like 1

I have no problem wearing masks in indoor public areas, but wearing a mask while laying by the pool? Umm, nope. This sounds incredibly restrictive (removing only to eat, drink and take medicine). It won’t stop me from cruising, though. We’ll just make sure we get rooms with large balconies so we can enjoy our time without masks. I appreciate your optimism! At this point I’ll support anything that gets us cruising.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I have no problem wearing masks in indoor public areas, but wearing a mask while laying by the pool? Umm, nope. This sounds incredibly restrictive (removing only to eat, drink and take medicine). It won’t stop me from cruising, though. We’ll just make sure we get rooms with large balconies so we can enjoy our time without masks. I appreciate your optimism! At this point I’ll support anything that gets us cruising.

I mean, I don't know what it's like in Florida, but here I've been wearing a mask anytime I'm outdoors except eating and drinking for the last year, so it's nothing new!

I'd happily do this to be back onboard 😄

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I mean, I don't know what it's like in Florida, but here I've been wearing a mask anytime I'm outdoors except eating and drinking for the last year, so it's nothing new!

It’s pretty much wide open in Florida. We’re asked to wear masks indoors and when social distancing is not possible, but there are no mandates. I do comply and wear them during those times, but not outdoors when socially distanced or when I’m in my private space (home, work office, etc).

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24289-cdc-order-to-require-passengers-to-wear-masks-on-ships.html

Here the CDC say as of midnight tomorrow, masks will be needed to be worn on all cruise ships. This is GOOD news in my opinion as it shows they are finding ways to get the cruise industry moving.

Soon ❤️

Honestly, the blanket CDC transportation regulation application to the cruise ships is not certain at this time; although I do firmly believe that the CDC will take the position that they can regulate the ships once they leave US waters if they intend to return to US waters to port.  This would be under the broad definition of general transportation "to or from" the US.

The article hedges a bit on this also ~

"When the cruise industry restarts in the United States, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) appears to be requiring all passengers to wear masks, via a new order that goes into effect at 11:59 p.m. ET on Feb. 1."

Probably @chengkp75 could weigh in.  

IMO, I understand the benefits, however, a touch of common sense needs to be afforded.  Masks aren't recommended (or required, not sure) for swimming and water activities, or, in most jurisdictions, when one can't socially distance, however, lounging in the sun with a mask doesn't seem to make universal sense (or actually enjoyable, nice tan square).

Guess we'll see.

57 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

It, wearing a mask while on board, will definetely stop me from cruising. I'll use up my FCCs and do all inclusives after that. A shame because I love cruising.

33 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Masks needs to be optional on many parts of the ship. With mask stations available with hand sanitizer stations. Public bathrooms having both available. Covid derived responses to spray the ship  constant in hallways, cabins, public spaces with abilities to not threaten health of people in other ways. Spray where people are not. Even in populated areas. The affect will spread several time over. The ships will be many times cleaner then ever. And things could still happen. But here is the problem. A small percentage of people are filthy. 

This latest strain of virus travels like wildfire, I think the US call it the British strain, recently there was a large funeral in rural Ireland, a friend didn’t attend but her family had a socially distant walk on Boxing Day, one of the family had attended the funeral only briefly, he had been seriously ill early last year after skiing in Austria, on oxygen weeks in hospital.

Back to the walk, everyone on that walk all ages came down with covid, they had all walked in there own bubbles, socially distanced, abiding by all the rules, the medical professionals doing the walk are absolutely baffled on how easily it spread.

14 minutes ago, florida eagle said:

Masks needs to be optional on many parts of the ship. With mask stations available with hand sanitizer stations. Public bathrooms having both available. Covid derived responses to spray the ship  constant in hallways, cabins, public spaces with abilities to not threaten health of people in other ways. Spray where people are not. Even in populated areas. The affect will spread several time over. The ships will be many times cleaner then ever. And things could still happen. But here is the problem. A small percentage of people are filthy. 

Which brings us to the "social distancing " aspect. With the hallways being so narrow  is it going to be one way foot traffic. Will Bar stools be eliminated or partitions between every 2 chairs.

Will steps be one way traffic, entertainment venues also one way in , one way out. 

Masks and social distancing go hand in hand. 

• Like 1

Just now, Steff79 said:

i think all cruises 2021 will be with masks. ( like at all cruise ships what are in Service at the moment ).

for me a cruise with mask is better then no cruise.

I think mask will be like the most important attribute of any traveller and any travel thing - airplane, a ship, a train whatever.. it feels like we will wear them forever from now on.. especially when all the restrictions will be put down, some store and entertainment centers will still force people to wear it.. and its really drives me crazy 

• Like 1

we will see, i don´t think forever. i hope we are going 2022 back to normal.

but if you look at some cities in Asia people wearing there masks in public since a long time. ( before covid-19)

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Soon ❤️

This is the new administration’s grand plan to stop the virus. This is a statement of fact, not political. Mandating a mask on a plane, was already implemented months ago. Mandating a mask on a train, was done months ago. Mandating a mask on a public bus, same. The few cruise ships that have sailed worldwide also required a mask, so no change. And there was another order to require masks on federal property, again, implemented months ago. So what’s changed to stop the virus? Absolutely nothing. 

In the news is the order for 200M additional vaccine doses (still short of what is required for the US). The order was actually placed back in November. The new administration claims it as a victory over the virus. It is actually old news. Something done by the old administration. And the fact that the vendors are delivering ahead of schedule is a happy coincidence, nothing influenced by the new administration. 

Now we have the 66% effective J&J vaccine which, if you are in the lucky 66%, will “keep you out of the hospital” WHEN you get sick. Not much of a victory there. 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Which brings us to the "social distancing " aspect. With the hallways being so narrow  is it going to be one way foot traffic. Will Bar stools be eliminated or partitions between every 2 chairs.

Will steps be one way traffic, entertainment venues also one way in , one way out. 

Masks and social distancing go hand in hand. 

So, social distancing, per the CDC, is “COVID-19 spreads mainly among people who are in close contact (within about 6 feet) for a prolonged period.”  

“Prolonged period” is 15 minutes of continuous close contact. This measure is used in contact tracing apps and “professional” contact tracing calls. It is not passing someone in the hall. 

• Like 1

Well if wearing a mask on board means the possibility to get finally on board - fine with me. But if you ask me otherwise, wearing a mask all the time is so annoying and seriously, it WONT HELP YOU! Look at the virus through a microscope and then look at the wholes in your mask.. 

Not interested in all the CDC rules and what may happen on board with the cruises with an outbreak. Add that to travel restrictions like Canada. I canceled my last remaining cruise for this year to Alaska on the Encore for August yesterday. All this headache, worry, and unknowns isn't worth the time, money, and effort.  I will focus on my Celebrity cruise for April 2022 at this point. I feel bad for everyone and the cruise lines but this is all too much to worry about ..... 

3 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Soon ❤️

The CDC regulations were for public transportation within the US and to/from the US.  The "Cruiseline Industry News" stretched it to include vacation cruises, because that's their job.

Maybe 100 years ago, when sailing to the US was still "the way" to get here (think Titanic, think Ellis Island) the mandate would have been relevant. 

Cruisers aren't going to be outdoors wearing masks.   They won't tolerate that.   People don't wear masks outside in New Hampshire, in Indiana, in Florida, in Maine.   These are the states Ive been too.   Tell me........Where besides NYC or sporting events are people wearing masks outdoors?     

The only way cruising will return is if passengers are fully vaccinated and show proof of vaccination.  I would think by the fall this would be very possible.   Then the issue will be where can the ship go  because I can't see the islands or europe even Mexico allowing tourism when their own population is largely unvaccinated.    The ships will have to go to the Caye's to begin.

Edited by Vyhanek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

So, social distancing, per the CDC, is “COVID-19 spreads mainly among people who are in close contact (within about 6 feet) for a prolonged period.”  

“Prolonged period” is 15 minutes of continuous close contact. This measure is used in contact tracing apps and “professional” contact tracing calls. It is not passing someone in the hall. 

What about that 1 person who coughs/sneezes while passing others in the hallways.

You know there will be pax that say/think " I'm in the hallway I'm taking my masks off ".

Highly unlikely someone could cough/sneeze exactly when passing, however it's still a risk.