This might be the new way to travel

FORBES

Nearly three-quarters of Americans over the age of 18 – or around 188 million people – would use some type of Covid-19 “Vaccine Passport” or a smart phone app connected to a database as a way of confirming their vaccination status and allowing them to travel by air once again, either internationally or domestically, a new survey suggests.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ski ww said:

"International Certificate Of Vaccination or Prophylaxis"

Sounds like what I have.... the yellow card as I refer to it. I've read it's ripe for counterfeiting/falsifying so a digital solution is inevitable..... just will take awhile to come up with a widely accepted solution. 

One such solution in the works is the CommonPass app created by The Common Trust Network, an initiative by Geneva-based nonprofit. Time will tell if it gains traction.

Edited by Lido - Lanai

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

FORBES

Nearly three-quarters of Americans over the age of 18 – or around 188 million people – would use some type of Covid-19 “Vaccine Passport” or a smart phone app connected to a database as a way of confirming their vaccination status and allowing them to travel by air once again, either internationally or domestically, a new survey suggests.

I’m in, they need some method of verification.

I think the reason they want to do something digital is that there have supposedly already been fakes created of the card you get with vaccination (not that someone couldn't find some way to do something fake electronically).

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I think the reason they want to do something digital is that there have supposedly already been fakes created of the card you get with vaccination (not that someone couldn't find some way to do something fake electronically).

My vaccination card has a serial number of my vaccine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

My vaccination card has a serial number of my vaccine. 

If you're referring to the lot number of your vaccine (noted on the card), that is not unique to your specific vaccination. It identifies a particular lot (batch) of vaccine from which your injection was drawn, and that could apply to many people's injections.

As an example, DW and I received our first dose of the Pfizer vaccine from two separate distribution sites, and both doses came from the same lot.

With all due respect to Mary and others that toss out "privacy concerns" as an issue with just about anything...a pox on their thoughts (I do not really mean that).  This COVID thing (and possibly other future health issues) is serious stuff.  If sacrificing some privacy is the price to improve safety then so be it!  For those that do not want to go along with the program they can certainly avail themselves of the right to stay home. 

Some countries (such as Japan) are even going further with talk about mandatory tracking apps (on each person's smart phone) and periodic requirements for health updates.   If this happens those that choose not to get with the program will not be able to visit Japan!  We might see a similar effort in the EU...and again those who do not want to get with the program can stay home.   The last time I looked at the US Constitution there is no "right to privacy" which is also the case in much of the world.  

When I worked with HIV/AIDs programs we were very careful to guard the privacy of anyone involved with our programs.  We did a darn good job and there were virtually no privacy violations (at least at our end).  On the other hand, because we maintained privacy at any cost many lives were lost!  I am sure that some groups such as the ACLU would say that was for the greater good but I doubt if they were able to sell that to the families of those who lost loved ones because "privacy" took precedence over saving lives. I am not sure anyone is prepared to go down that road today.  There can be a happy medium where privacy is generally (but not absolutely) protected but human life and serious morbidity is considered the priority.

Hank

• Like 5

The state of Florida already has an online program for tracking vaccinations that requires providers to enter vaccinations when given to individuals.  I gave my PCP my 2 "yellow books" that date from my birth and are current with every shot I've ever received (being a military brat and former military myself, these things were a must) and they entered in all the information from them; now it's all tracked digitally for me.  Right now, individuals can not view their own records online but any provider can print the records as needed.

I agree with Hank; few must "leisure travel", so freely choose not to have or carry a smart device if you'd rather but realize your decisions will have consequences for yourself and others.  I'm reminded of an old saying: "Your rights end where my nose begins."

• Like 3

Let’s be clear.  The CDC app is self-reporting and does nothing to prevent fraud.  It is simply a tracker.   Presenting my vaccine card is likely far less likely to be fraudulent and has been the accepted method for years.   

2 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

For those concerned about privacy check your patient portal with your provider.  Most EHR’s are documenting the vaccination on you medical record and this will flow to your portal account.  From there you can show the certificate of vaccination.

This is acceptable to me but not the government tracker

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I prefer to present my vaccination record as I have in the past.  I looked at the cdc tracker and it raised my privacy hackles. 

With all the electronic data available to companies and government, you are concerned about the CDC tracker?  For those of us who use smart phones and the internet, we gave a good deal of our privacy a long time ago.

• Like 2

I have one, but cell phones/smart phones are not yet the "end all-do all" in our lives. There are many thousands of people who do not and will not embrace every new technology which comes along. Their rights must be protected as best they can be.

IMO

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

With all the electronic data available to companies and government, you are concerned about the CDC tracker?  For those of us who use smart phones and the internet, we gave a good deal of our privacy a long time ago.

I was simply stating my personal preference not establishing a case for any particular policy.   I do monitor my privacy settings weekly.  

Here we go again the Smartphone thing.   I have been flamed for suggesting that any International travelers really needs to have a working Smartphone these days.  That device has been gradually moving from a convenience to a necessity.   Just being able to do things like track our luggage and quickly rebook flights (when something gets delayed or cancelled) is worth the price of the phone.  It also serves as a GPS system which can keep you from getting lost, find the nearest ATM, etc.   Things like paper boarding passes may soon become a rare thing as airlines keep moving towards contactless systems (i.e. your smartphone has your digital boarding pass).   We are currently living in Puerto Vallarta for the winter (been here for the past 15 winters) and the US Government recently implemented new mandatory COVID testing requirements (we must have a negative COVID test within 3 days of our return flight).  It is easy to get a COVID test here in Mexico, but the results are only sent as an e-mail (directly to one's phone).  That test result (on the phone) is a requirement to board one's flight.  It might be possible to print out your e-mail and use a hard copy, but some reports say that hard copies are not being accepted by some airlines because they can easily be manipulated.  

There are also some hotel chains that have been moving towards electronic Smartphone keys.  You do not need to check-in or wait in any lines at the desk but simply check-in using your Smartphone which then downloads the digital key to your room.   Hilton is one example of a chain moving in this direction.  Another useful tool with a Smartphone is the ability to photograph a rental car (from all angles) to document any scratches, dents, etc.  Trust me that this is a very handy thing when you must deal with rental car agencies that are less then honest.

But COVID may well make that Smartphone absolutely necessary for those who want to visit certain countries such as Japan.  If Japan implements their proposed tracking system (which will give them the ability to do effective contact tracing) each person will be required to carry a Smartphone.  If they do not own a working phone they will be able to rent them at the airports.  

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Some countries (such as Japan) are even going further with talk about mandatory tracking apps (on each person's smart phone) and periodic requirements for health updates.   If this happens those that choose not to get with the program will not be able to visit Japan! 

And even closer to home, Maui, HI is now requiring visitors to download their state's version of a tracking app now.

Don't want to download the app to your device and activating it prior to arrival, don't bother visiting Maui.