Need some advice on effective vaccine scheduling?

Markanddonna

Getting a vaccine is getting more complicated as the new eligible categories contain larger numbers  (there are more 65-70 than 80+, etc.)  In Ohio, we had school personnel put in our 1b 70+ group on Feb 1 which took a large chunk of the supply. Those who were 75+ had a much easier time of it in the last month.

I'm a persistent researcher and so we scored an appointment yesterday (no fever or other problems thus far).

I also search for others so here's some advice:

This applies to Ohio but I bet it is similar in other states.  Please don't respond with criticism if your state is very different.  Add your suggestions.

1. Find the "magic day of the week" for scheduling. In Ohio, most scheduling for the next week starts on Thursday, so that is the magic day to work hard at getting scheduled. The times are gobbled up at record speed.

2. Don't rely on an pharmacy or medical group that promises to send you a notice when your group is up. We have NOT received any emails from ANY group or company to notify us except for one rural county's health clinic. So, if you are counting on your local pharmacy to notify you, you will likely get your vaccine in late spring.

3. Seach your nearby counties. Most don't restrictions as long as you have state residence.

4. Keep a list of the existing vaccine locations- names of health centers, pharmacies. etc.  Your BEST bet is to be online when the new vaccination facility is approved. That is how I found mine (Walgreens) and found three for others. 

5. Ask your kids or family to assist in getting you a vaccine if you aren't tech savvy.

6. Many places offer their phone numbers for those without computer access but the caller is just advised to go online. 

7. If you aren't good at using a computer, take classes when this pandemic subsides. Refusing to use technology has made life for many of the elderly very difficult. Ask your kids or family for help. This one thing will make your life better as you grow older.

8. I'm a compulsive historical researcher, so I keep great records of searches. I made a spreadsheet with each organizations' details and also bookmarked the link. 

9. If you get an appointment, offer to help others who aren't as capable. I've heard SO MANY seniors who just say "Oh, I"ve registered with __________ and they will let me know when there is an opening.  One of them (Meijers) isn't even on Ohio's list of providers yet their website is encouraging seniors to register with them. 

I agree that technology is becoming more and more necessary.  In my area, there was virtually no information about where to get the vaccine.  Until our weekly newspaper printed an article about it being available at a walk-in clinic in the local hospital.  but you have to have an appointment.  Problem: noone ever answered the phone.  I spoke by live chat with the hospital operator and she took our info and she made a not, and we had a reply that we would hear soon.  but never did.  However, we get our card through a medical group that has several offices in the Coastal area.  I got an email from them to respond via a form if I was interested in the vaccine.  I filled out the forms for both myself and my sister (who lives with me) and also printed out all the info about the vaccine and the consent forms.  Within a week, I had a text saying that appts were available at a different clinic and to text back SCHEDULE if interested.  I did, and they were later that week.  I chose the date, and with another text, the time.  I then scheduled for the second shot.  My sister was wondering when they would contact her...and it was about 10 minutes later.  We were able to schedule for the same days, 20 min apart.  Next shots are due Feb. 20.  But it was the technology that secured it for us.  EM

• Like 1

Thank you so much.  We do live in Ohio and all I get is "No appointments available" for every provider I check.  We are in the 70 year old group that got combined with the teachers.  I have no problem with the teachers getting theirs sooner but it sure has made it nearly impossible for me and my husband.

31 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

Thank you so much.  We do live in Ohio and all I get is "No appointments available" for every provider I check.  We are in the 70 year old group that got combined with the teachers.  I have no problem with the teachers getting theirs sooner but it sure has made it nearly impossible for me and my husband.

If you live near Licking County, go to their website. I believe they are scheduling today or tomorrow for next week- by phone only. I'm in that 70+ group too.

Edited by Markanddonna

39 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

If you live near Licking County, go to their website. I believe they are scheduling today or tomorrow for next week- by phone only. I'm in that 70+ group too.

We live in Reynoldsburg about a half mile from Licking County.  But when I try that number I get a message I've never heard before:  "We're sorry, your call did not go through.  Try again."

But thanks for the hint.

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

We live in Reynoldsburg about a half mile from Licking County.  But when I try that number I get a message I've never heard before:  "We're sorry, your call did not go through.  Try again."

But thanks for the hint.

LCHD’s COVID-19 Vaccine Hotline is: (740) 670-0949.

24 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

As far as effectiveness/immunity is concerned

I found this graphic on the BBC website

a table showing Pfizer's take

on when you'll be immune after your second shot.

Hope it's helpful?

!!Immunity schedule.jpg

Thanks.  Our second dose was scheduled for 28 days after the first, so I assume I just have to add a week.  Very helpful.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Thanks. 

Our second dose was scheduled for 28 days after the first,

so I assume I just have to add a week.  Very helpful.

Glad I could help!

Pictures say a thousand words! don't they?

Also take whatever appointment you can get!!!   A friend of mine signed up her mom.  Her mom wants her to change the appointment because it conflicts with her hair appointment.  She is like “*****, mom.  move the damn hair appointment “. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Also take whatever appointment you can get!!!   A friend of mine signed up her mom.  Her mom wants her to change the appointment because it conflicts with her hair appointment.  She is like “*****, mom.  move the damn hair appointment “. 

Totally true. When I got my appt for my first shot, Bob tried it a very few minutes later and it was gone. We're getting our second one on Saturday and we were both on the site at the same time and could snag the same time.

5 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

LCHD’s COVID-19 Vaccine Hotline is: (740) 670-0949.

My experience is that, while telephoning MIGHT work, so many people have reported just frustration and wasted time.  If you do get through, you will have to rely on a person at the other end - who is capable of error.

I suggest you bang around on the internet until you find some site in your state which seems to work.  I understand that all states have some sort of appointment sites established.   Ours (CT) was not particularly user friendly - but once we got through (with the assistance of a grandson) it worked like a charm - we got appointments at a local hospital - which were very well managed - including booking second shot. We were in and out in less than an hour - and actually got the jab within 100 seconds of the booked time.

The notion of just showing up at some site and getting in line seems insane.

• Like 1

Another trick is to use a different zip code.  When the site searches for appointments, it sticks to a narrow geographic area.   I got mine by using different zip codes.  It is ok as long as it is in Ohio.  But, you have to be willing to drive.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I agree that technology is becoming more and more necessary. 

X2.  Our county's public health web site has very good info about the vaccines and how to schedule.  

In my county, folks "register" when their tier is up.  Then they are notified when they can go online to submit an appointment request.   There is a phone # for those who can't access the internet, but how do they know if they can't access the internet.   I can sure see how those not comfortable with technology might have a harder time.      

This is just an overall comment about Covid vaccine scheduling in general.  It shouldn't be so darn hard to get a life saving inoculation.  This is not a 3rd world country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roz said:

This is just an overall comment about Covid vaccine scheduling in general.  It shouldn't be so darn hard to get a life saving inoculation.  This is not a 3rd world country.

It was like a full time job searching for a vaccine appointment. The senior version of the Hunger Games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Different experience in Florida.  We live in Pasco County north of Tampa.  The state left it up to each county to do their own thing so we have 67 different approaches, lots of snowbirds and even had vaccine tourism.  Our county's health website was sign-up only and appointments were never available.  Additionally, one vaccine site for the 550,000 residents 35 miles from us.  So we went two counties over which had "first come first served" approach for us over 65s (were are both over 75) and received the first does following maybe one hour in the car and three weeks later the 2nd dose with maybe 20 minute wait.

8 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

It was like a full time job searching for a vaccine appointment. The senior version of the Hunger Games.

Here in Reno it's been the easiest thing in the world. The main hospital here has a site - My Chart - where you sign up if you haven't already and then you get an email that a certain date is available. After getting the first one, we got a second email to sign up for the second shot. I don't know why so many states have made it so difficult.

• Like 1

One of the frustrations I had trying to schedule an appointment was choosing a supposedly available time slot, completing all the information, then at the very last step getting a notice that "time slot is not available".   It finally occurred to me to try choosing the LAST time slot on the list, hoping that most people would start at the top.   It worked - I've had my first dose, and  the 2nd shot was scheduled while I was in the 15 minute "observation" period.   

4 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

One of the frustrations I had trying to schedule an appointment was choosing a supposedly available time slot, completing all the information, then at the very last step getting a notice that "time slot is not available".   It finally occurred to me to try choosing the LAST time slot on the list, hoping that most people would start at the top.   It worked - I've had my first dose, and  the 2nd shot was scheduled while I was in the 15 minute "observation" period.   

Did you have to fill out the info again? I didn't.

No, there was a scheduler that walked around the waiting area, scheduled your time and gave you a reminder card.    I was very impressed with the efficiency of the entire process - a very pleasant surprise after all the difficulty getting that first appointment.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kartgv said:

Appointments in Ohio for the coming week seem nonexistent. I had mine on Tuesday but am checking for others. Nothing!  Kartgv's advice is good though. My husband started to input his info at the same time I did.  I'm a faster typist and I got my appointment. He got kicked out.  So, I used the same strategy for the next day's openings.  Got it for him!  Why does this have to be so difficult?  Seniors are really the only group that has to go through these "Senior Vaccine Hunger Games."  Everyone other group (hospitals, first responders, teachers, have either a set place and time or a link just for them.  We are forced to keep "checking back" at about 15+ locations several times a day.

For those of you who already received it, let me assure you it is much harder now since the second doses are being taken out of the next week's allotment. Same thing went for the teachers (who deserve a vaccine.) but their vials were taken away from the seniors.

Ohio is supposedly going to a centralized scheduling system around the middle of this month.  I'm not sure I understood the process.  One place said you could schedule right there on that web site but another hinted that it is only going to refer you to places that had available appointments.

I am a retired software engineer and I cringe to think of the problems that could arise with thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people all trying to go to the same site at the same time.  But of course, Amazon handles it, don't they?  LOL

Edited:  I also just read where Ohio will be doing the 65+ appointments for several weeks.  Reason?  More 65+ people.  My guess is vaccine availablity for second doses, teachers, etc.

Edited by gooch47