WHAT ARE THE ODDS THAT HAL WILL SAIL IN 2021 or WILL IT BE 2022

mcrcruiser

13 hours ago, iceman93 said:

Not trying to discount your view at all, but I'm the exact opposite!  I'll "cruise to nowhere" and don't mind only using ship's excursions, but if they require masks or limit spacing on board then that's a complete and total no-go for me.

I agree and we will even take distancing and wearing masks in corridors and public spaces.

• Like 4

Guess we are in the minority. It doesn’t bother us to wear mask. In fact, it might even help prevent me from getting colds, the flu and a hacking cough onboard.  Also, when it is windy on deck, I don’t enjoy walking as I frequently end up with a sinus infection. The mask, I have noticed from wearing it when walking, has helped me this winter as I haven’t had a single sinus infection. Doctors have demonstrated that you could wear 6 surgical masks and still will have 100% oxygen level. I want to cruise and enjoy life at sea which I can do even wearing a mask.

• Like 5

Wearing a mask doesn’t bother us but there will be some who have to reminded to put them on.  It will create an interesting environment.  No telling how many Karen events.  Our gripe will be with all the other restrictions.  Not saying they are not necessary but just not something we want to pay for.

Looking at the new protocols IF they stay in place for some time, I think the question will become not “will HAL sail” but “who wants to sail”

Lots of time for things to develop so we will see.

I don’t see masks as a huge deal but the lack of possible onboard activities and forced to only do HAL shore excursions and not be able to explore a port are serious issues for us.

46 minutes ago, kazu said:

Looking at the new protocols IF they stay in place for some time, I think the question will become not “will HAL sail” but “who wants to sail”

I don’t see masks as a huge deal but the lack of possible onboard activities and forced to only do HAL shore excursions and not be able to explore a port are serious issues for us.

I can’t imagine visiting San Juan and being restricted to ship excursions.  We’ve done them all over the years and now explore the city on our own.  We enjoy walking through the streets, seeing the sights, feeding the cats and supporting some of the local craft shops.  It is also the only port that we grab a meal off ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Storylady said:

Guess we are in the minority. It doesn’t bother us to wear mask. In fact, it might even help prevent me from getting colds, the flu and a hacking cough onboard.  Also, when it is windy on deck, I don’t enjoy walking as I frequently end up with a sinus infection. The mask, I have noticed from wearing it when walking, has helped me this winter as I haven’t had a single sinus infection. Doctors have demonstrated that you could wear 6 surgical masks and still will have 100% oxygen level. I want to cruise and enjoy life at sea which I can do even wearing a mask.

I have to agree with you. It seems like every time I fly and travel internationally,  I come home with horrible colds, sinus infections or bronchitis.  It amazes me how many people fly or ride on busses, hacking and coughing up a lung. This could be a pleasant side effect of traveling during Covid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kazu said:

At my age I only have a limited number of good travel years left, already lost one last year and 2021 is not looking much better. We will do and wear whatever it takes to travel again.

• Like 8

I can't imagen many people will want to fly to Europe to take cruise, and not be able to get of the ship and explore independently. It's one thing right now for the ships that are sailing in Europe with locals only, it's another thing to fly half way around the world to end up being a prisoner on a cruise ship and not being able to leave the ship unsupervised.  IMO not very enticing under any circumstances 

*Additionally on a typical 12 day Med itinerary, a couple will now be expected to pay upwards of a couple of thousand dollars additional for obligatory tours just for the opportunity to leave the ship in ports.

Yikes

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Storylady said:

Guess we are in the minority. It doesn’t bother us to wear mask. In fact, it might even help prevent me from getting colds, the flu and a hacking cough onboard.  ... I want to cruise and enjoy life at sea which I can do even wearing a mask.

I'm right there in the minority with you. I'll happily wear a mask when outside my cabin; not a problem now, so won't be a problem to continue the practice. 
Leave the ship only on a HAL excursion? That's what I do most of the time anyway, so that would be same ol', same ol'. Few activities on board? So long as there is a deck chair on the promenade, I'm good with that. BUT! There has to be a few books in the library I can take to read; book exchange books are good enough. 
It's dining alone at dinner that I wouldn't like. I do that every night at home, and like the change when I am at a full table. But I could live with even that if it meant being at sea again. 

My last cruise was the June/July 21-day Alaska cruise on the Maasdam in '19. My scooter didn't work the first half of the cruise, and I had a terrible URI that kept me in bed for most of the second half. I would hate for that to be my last cruise memory. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, srpilo said:

I can't imagen many people will want to fly to Europe to take cruise, and not be able to get of the ship and explore independently. It's one thing right now for the ships that are sailing in Europe with locals only, it's another thing to fly half way around the world to end up being a prisoner on a cruise ship and not being able to leave the ship unsupervised.  IMO not very enticing under any circumstances 

*Additionally on a typical 12 day Med itinerary, a couple will now be expected to pay upwards of a couple of thousand dollars additional for obligatory tours just for the opportunity to leave the ship in ports.

Yikes

I’m with you on this one.

IF things are safe we might still go to Europe, but if the cruises are restricted to their shore excursions, we’ll extend our planned land tour time.

I hope that’s not the way it will be -we have a few months to go and only time will tell.

It makes no sense to have 8 hours -  overnight in a port (as we do on our cruise) and be restricted to a HAL 4 hour cruise.  Guess I am a curmudgeon but I choose how and where I spend my $$$

42 minutes ago, RuthC said:

It's dining alone at dinner that I wouldn't like. I do that every night at home, and like the change when I am at a full table. But I could live with even that if it meant being at sea again. 

One of the pleasures of cruising on HAL is going to the MDR and being asked if you want to share a table with nice people. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

One of the pleasures of cruising on HAL is going to the MDR and being asked if you want to share a table with nice people. 

If there is a restriction that you can only dine with the people that are either sharing your cabin, or traveling with you, your solution isn't going to work for people who travel alone. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RuthC said:

If there is a restriction that you can only dine with the people that are either sharing your cabin, or traveling with you, your solution isn't going to work for people who travel alone. 

Sorry, Ruth. I didn't mean for my suggestion to be a solution going forward. The social aspect of cruising is just one of the reasons we enjoy cruising, and without that option cruising would not reach the quality of experience we have grown to like and expect.

I have been fortunate enough to travel with my DW, and sometimes with other relatives. We still like to be asked if we will share a table with nice people, and we have found that to be a wonderful experience in the past. If nobody is allowed to share tables, than eveyone might as well dine in their own rooms, or we may choose to just dine at home and not cruise. 

16 hours ago, RuthC said:

Ruth, there are tables that are close enough that you can talk to someone without being at their table, if they are strict on the dining. But to be on a cruise ship again and have someone make my bed, clean my room, deliver my food and be able to sit on a deck chair and watch the sea while reading a book. Heaven.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2021 at 10:15 AM, terrydtx said:

If the major cruise lines do not start up later this year, they may never as they continue to bleed their available operating capital. 

There not only bleeding their operating capital, their bleeding us that have signed up. Especially for the Grand Cruises, they want our money starting nearly two years ahead of the departure.

10 minutes ago, Indianadaytripper said:

There not only bleeding their operating capital, their bleeding us that have signed up. Especially for the Grand Cruises, they want our money starting nearly two years ahead of the departure.

HAL’s payment schedule is usually 60-90 days prior to sailing.  I only have a $300 pp deposit that they encouraged me to keep with them by doubling.  I can get it back whenever I want.    Check your booking, it may be the same for you

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Indianadaytripper said:

What grand cruise are you on?

I am not on one this year but I have sailed them in the past.  Before the pandemic I think it was 90-120 days but that was shortened.    It also depends on which fare you selected, I always select the changeable, refundable deposit fare.  I will look up the info for you and post a link ASAP

i cannot seem to find the page with the final payment schedule.  If you are referring to my deposit. - I only use Future Cruise Deposits. I buy them while onboard. 

Edited by Mary229

6 hours ago, Indianadaytripper said:

I have been cancelled from the Grand Africa Voyage in 2015, 2020, and 2021.  I am a solo cruiser so I am paying the single supplement.  From the FCC's from the 2020 and 2021 cancellations I now owe less than 40% of the original discounted fare (I use a traditional TA, not a PCC) after my $2500.00 deposit for the 2022.  Then there are the OBC's that have been given.....

There is always the risk that HAL will go bankrupt--or cancel the 2022 GAV--but I'll take that risk.  I cannot earn the kind of interest on $2500.00 that would justify my asking for a return of my deposit, not to mention the fact that I obviously have sustained interest in going on the GAV, I do not want to pay Princess or Oceania a 100% single supplement, and most of all, I am a "golden senior" with certain orthopedic challenges who always feels comfortable on any HAL ship on which I have sailed over the course of 20 years.  HAL took wonderful care of me on the Westerdam "Pariah Cruise" last year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeeDee Groff said:

I have been cancelled from the Grand Africa Voyage in 2015, 2020, and 2021.  I am a solo cruiser so I am paying the single supplement.  From the FCC's from the 2020 and 2021 cancellations I now owe less than 40% of the original discounted fare (I use a traditional TA, not a PCC) after my $2500.00 deposit for the 2022.  Then there are the OBC's that have been given.....

There is always the risk that HAL will go bankrupt--or cancel the 2022 GAV--but I'll take that risk.  I cannot earn the kind of interest on $2500.00 that would justify my asking for a return of my deposit, not to mention the fact that I obviously have sustained interest in going on the GAV, I do not want to pay Princess or Oceania a 100% single supplement, and most of all, I am a "golden senior" with certain orthopedic challenges who always feels comfortable on any HAL ship on which I have sailed over the course of 20 years.  HAL took wonderful care of me on the Westerdam "Pariah Cruise" last year.

We’ve cruised Holland starting 2014 after years with other lines. No problems until now. Booked on the 2021-23 WC. Booked the now cancelled Westerdam April -May back to back cruises.Took the 125% for the shortened 2020 WC. These credits alone should have paid for the 2022 WC since the 2021 WC was cancelled. With some left over. But they haven’t. TA( from largest group onboard the WC) in Jan. told me Holland was requiring $7000 in deposits for the 2023 WC to be paid by Feb. 2, I hesitated but paid In Jan. My accounts haven’t been upgraded to show any of this activity. Since then I’ve contacted two other friends booked on the 2023 and they were required to pay $2000. I’m now going dwell deeper into this with my TA seniors if not resolved with my issues, then onto Holland directly if no answers.. I do feel for single cruisers and there different cruising travel issues.

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if there are any Med cruises this year.  Or anywhere else.   

We are not wasting our time wishing, gnashing our teeth, booking/re-booking cruises that will never leave the dock, or criticizing foreign Governments for doing what they believe is right for the health and safety of their citizens.

Fortunately countries do not have the right of sovereignty of over other nations simply because of their size and/or financial power.

Even if there are cruises we have no intention of stepping on to what amounts to a petri dish for 10, 14, or 21 days.  Nor are we interested in the least in a CDC type of on board environment, being restricted from certain ports or only being permitted to disembark as part of a cruise line sponsored excursion.  Not our idea of a vacation.   More like our idea of a great waste of time, effort, and money.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I would be very surprised if there are any Med cruises this year.  Or anywhere else.   

We are not wasting our time wishing, gnashing our teeth, booking/re-booking cruises that will never leave the dock, or criticizing foreign Governments for doing what they believe is right for the health and safety of their citizens.

Fortunately countries do not have the right of sovereignty of over other nations simply because of their size and/or financial power.

Even if there are cruises we have no intention of stepping on to what amounts to a petri dish for 10, 14, or 21 days.  Nor are we interested in the least in a CDC type of on board environment, being restricted from certain ports or only being permitted to disembark as part of a cruise line sponsored excursion.  Not our idea of a vacation.   More like our idea of a great waste of time, effort, and money.

I agree with a lot of what you say.  However,  most people here cruise frequently and thus like to discuss the hope to in the future.  While it may or may not be realistic, you lose nothing having a cruise booked on a refundable deposit,  in fact these have rolled over for us to increased deposits. Pandemics don’t last forever and one day we will return to cruising.  We also enjoy a lot of independent travel,  but there is something about being at sea and only unpacking once while seeing many wonderful places. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I read that Cozumel's mayor reached out to MSC about the possibility of homeporting a few ships in Cozumel. This would avoid US/Canadian ports entirely and be more subject to Mexican and other Caribbean/Central American regulations instead of CDC rules. The mayor did admit logistical issues would have to be sorted out but he didn't think this wouldn't entirely make the idea impossible. If MSC responds favorably, I can imagine CCL lines such as HAL entertain basing some ships in certain Caribbean ports. While there are many who wouldn't fly international to a foreign port, there should be enough pent-up demand for those who are willing to fly and cruise.

Edited by vicd1969