Canadian government CANCELS 2021 Alaska cruise Season

Oren

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Tell me why 2022 will be any better than 2021?  The virus will still be around and it will still be mutating.  International travel and trade will need to figure out a way to live with the virus.  Perhaps it's vaccinating everyone on a ship or plane and requiring covid tests before the ship or plan departs.  There will never be a perfect vaccine or treatment.

You are so right on this. From what I hear from friends in the medical community, Covid is never going away much like the seasonal Flu. We all will have to find a way to live with it, like we do with seasonal flu. Seasonal flu vaccines have been marginally effective,  but still hundreds of thousands die every year world wide from the Flu.  Keeping the world locked down, destroying economies and leaving millions unemployed has not worked and is not the answer to stopping the spread of this pandemic.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tert333 said:

While I agree that it is questionable whether there will be cruising in 2021, why throw in the towel now.  Canada(which is where I live) made a unilateral decision to in essence cancel cruising to Alaska.   I thought that I would see more collaboration between Canada and the US on issues.  Why not have discussions between Canada and the US around cruising and come up with a joint release regarding Alaska(and the east coast as well).

We have not seen either the US or Europe cancel cruising until 2022.  Europe is looking for ways to open.  Not sure about the US, but am guessing they are as well.

I have cancelled a number of trips, cancelled as well.   We have all made sacrifices over the last year due to the pandemic.   It should be a last resort to cancel cruising once it has been determined there are no other ways of making cruising work.  It appears to me that this is some bureaucratic response to an issue they dont want to spend any time trying to come up with a solution.

Sorry about the rant, but this makes me so mad that the government is not trying to find solutions to problems, without having to shut everything down.  I understand, and agree for the most part, with the decisions made to date.  However, we do have vaccines coming and we need to open up.

While travelling is a leisure activity to me, it is a business for many people.  I don't have to travel.  However, many people in the business are going to lose everything that have  if we do not open up.  We can not forget about those people, whose livelihoods are based on tourism.  How sad it is for them. 

The US has suffered over 450,000 COVID deaths and Canada over 20,000!  Government are try to find solutions to stop the pandemic.  Sorry that you are inconvenienced by this.  However, its for everyone's safety.  We do not need more and accelerating deaths.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The US has suffered over 450,000 COVID deaths and Canada over 20,000!  Government are try to find solutions to stop the pandemic.  Sorry that you are inconvenienced by this.  However, its for everyone's safety.  We do not need more and accelerating deaths.

You obviously can not read.  The issue is not about me.

I assume you have a good job and are comfortable working at home making lots of money.   Try to show a little compassion to those that are not as well off as you.   In Canada today, we lost over 200,000 jobs last month, making it the 3rd worse job loss in the history of the country.  As you are sitting home, drinking your latte, others are having a hard time finding enough money for food.

We need to be cognizant of the fact there is a pandemic, but we also need to balance things off. 

32 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

You are so right on this. From what I hear from friends in the medical community, Covid is never going away much like the seasonal Flu. We all will have to find a way to live with it, like we do with seasonal flu. Seasonal flu vaccines have been marginally effective,  but still hundreds of thousands die every year world wide from the Flu.  Keeping the world locked down, destroying economies and leaving millions unemployed has not worked and is not the answer to stopping the spread of this pandemic.

IF you haven't noticed, the FLU has gone away since Covid took over.  

I agree, we can't stay locked down forever....those afraid to travel should just stay home.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Halifax is often bypassed because of weather.  Its really doesn't offer much except for the lobster shack and the Titanic cemetery.

So X is wasting its time and money on sailing through the east coast?  Time to broaden your horizons and look beyond the 'lobster shack'.  Ports in many countries rely on tourism and make the most of what they have...including the US ports in the Caribbean.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

So X is wasting its time and money on sailing through the east coast?  Time to broaden your horizons and look beyond the 'lobster shack'.  Ports in many countries rely on tourism and make the most of what they have...including the US ports in the Caribbean.

Good answer oceangoer2.   The previous poster has no clue what Halifax has to offer.   He is ignorant of a city that has many more things to do - Cidadel, Peggys Cover, the boardwalk, many small local pubs in the downtown area.  I always enjoy visiting Halifax and the friendly people that live there!

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Good answer oceangoer2.   The previous poster has no clue what Halifax has to offer.   He is ignorant of a city that has many more things to do - Cidadel, Peggys Cover, the boardwalk, many small local pubs in the downtown area.  I always enjoy visiting Halifax and the friendly people that live there!

Thank you for that....only visited once but really enjoyed all Halifax and environs had to offer.  PEI also is absolutely beautiful and I'm told Newfoundland is a must see!  Sorry the ships won't be able to visit this year.  Maybe there are some, due to age or injury, have difficulty walking around the many positives Halifax has to offer so I sympathize if that's the case.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, poffles said:

You will be missed down here 🙂 But yes the pandemic is ruling right now and I think many frustrations are misdirecting a bit and the sad reality is it's COVID to blame and this is unprecedented uncertain times and you can be sure that decisions that is 100% certain to affect the citizens livelihood is not taken lightly.

Thank you for the kind words, @poffles. They epitomize the warmth and affection of Nova Scotians.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Halifax is often bypassed because of weather.  Its really doesn't offer much except for the lobster shack and the Titanic cemetery.

Hahahahahaha ...  the irony that having lived here many (many) years that I have never visited either of these places.  Whatever have I been doing all these years in my boring nothing to offer city/province.

Edited by poffles
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, poffles said:

Hahahahahaha ...  the irony that having lived here many (many) years that I have never visited either of these places.  Whatever have I been doing all these years in my boring nothing to offer city/province.

That's a shame, but true to form for many of us.  We take for granted what our lovely cities have to offer, thinking we can always go there.  But we visitors do appreciate these offerings...tourists have maybe one shot at this so take whatever memories we can with us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

That's a shame, but true to form for many of us.  We take for granted what our lovely cities have to offer, thinking we can always go there.  But we visitors do appreciate these offerings...tourists have maybe one shot at this so take whatever memories we can with us. 

Oh I totally get this and agree, I was more trying to point out that clearly there is more to Halifax (and area) than this but I expect you got that too.  I still have no interest in the Lobster Shack or the Titanic cemetery because I am too busy seeing and doing all the other things the area has to offer, like the many pubs for example 🍻 🍹😉 

Sorry to add to this and going more off point ... back to the Canadian waters cancelling Alaska.

Edited by poffles
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

You must have visited some other place called Halifax than the lovely, friendly city we've visited twice on cruises and enjoyed immensely and to which we'd love to return.  I suggest you visit the real Halifax, with its beautiful Public Gardens, the interesting Citadel, the extremely moving Canadian Museum of Immigration, the friendly people, the waterfront and eateries.   (Oh, and BeaverTails.)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, poffles said:

Oh I totally get this and agree, I was more trying to point out that clearly there is more to Halifax (and area) than this but I expect you got that too.  I still have no interest in the Lobster Shack or the Titanic cemetery because I am too busy seeing and doing all the other things the area has to offer, like the many pubs for example 🍻 🍹😉 

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

You must have visited some other place called Halifax than the lovely, friendly city we've visited twice on cruises and enjoyed immensely and to which we'd love to return.  I suggest you visit the real Halifax, with its beautiful Public Gardens, the interesting Citadel, the extremely moving Canadian Museum of Immigration, the friendly people, the waterfront and eateries.   (Oh, and BeaverTails.)

One of my favorite seafood meals was at the five fishermen in Halifax.   I am booked to fly down there at the end of June, but not sure we will be allowed in... 😞

• Like 2

Just now, tert333 said:

One of my favorite seafood meals was at the five fishermen in Halifax.   I am booked to fly down there at the end of June, but not sure we will be allowed in... 😞

Restaurants are open right now for dine in so unless something changes again by then you should be good, after you hibernate for 14 days 🙂 

42 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Having lived in Halifax for a good many years, both as a child and later as an adult, I can't express how far off the mark you are. We moved to Ottawa in 2004, but love Halifax and everything it has to offer so much that we return for a week or two every second year. Or did, until the pandemic. We have also visited on a Canada-New England cruise and enjoyed every minute of our time ashore.

Our adult children and their families would visit, usually for a week at a time, and the problem was never "what shall we do?" but "how can we squeeze all of that into just one week?" 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I was booked on a Sept. '21 New England/Canada cruise. Despite living in Boston, I've never been east of Toronto in Canada. I was really looking forward to Halifax (especially given the connection between Boston and Halifax) and Quebec City.

I do understand why Canada would do this...just sad that I won't be cruising this September. 😢

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Then clearly you have not spent much, if any, time there.  I can, and have, spent an entire day in just Peggy's Cove, it still was not enough time.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, tert333 said:

One of my favorite seafood meals was at the five fishermen in Halifax.

OMG -- we had the most wonderful lunch at the Five Fishermen on our first visit to Halifax.  Fish and chips, and fish tacos.  So delicious.  It's a meal we still talk about.  Apart from the wonderful fish, potatoes we learned are a local crop, and we really could taste the freshness in the "chips."  So much so that on our next visit, I did not pass up the chance to have chips from Bud the Spud Old Fashioned Chip Wagon.  They did not disappoint!

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tert333 said:

I've dined at the Five Fishermen many times, but the time I'll remember best was a dinner shared with our son and his then girlfriend. From the Five Fishermen, we walked down to the harbour to board the Mar II and embark upon a moonlit harbour cruise, during which he proposed to his wife to be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

I've dined at the Five Fishermen many times, but the time I'll remember best was a dinner shared with our son and his then girlfriend. From the Five Fishermen, we walked down to the harbour to board the Mar II and embark upon a moonlit harbour cruise, during which he proposed to his wife to be. 

What a special memory.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EvoUSA said:

I was booked on a Sept. '21 New England/Canada cruise. Despite living in Boston, I've never been east of Toronto in Canada. I was really looking forward to Halifax (especially given the connection between Boston and Halifax) and Quebec City.

I do understand why Canada would do this...just sad that I won't be cruising this September. 😢

Come join us in September 2022 on the Summit. We did this cruise in September 2019 on the Summit (14 night cruise that year). Fantastic itinerary. 

Edited by davekathy

14 minutes ago, joetop2467 said:

I hope the cruise lines can get around the need to stop at a foreign port rule and salvage some of the Alaska season.  Those people up there need tourist dollars. How about an Executive order?

The Jones Act has been in the way of accessing by ship many very lovely and interesting ports.