Canadian government CANCELS 2021 Alaska cruise Season

Oren

We had booked a June 2021 Alaska cruise. Around the same time X announced Connie Aug 2021 cruise out of Rome canceled. I talked to our TA. She checked with X and our FCC was confirmed that we must book by May 4, 2022 and cruise by Sept. 30, 2022. I moved our cruises out to June 2022, Sept 2022 and April 2023.

18 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

We had booked a June 2021 Alaska cruise. Around the same time X announced Connie Aug 2021 cruise out of Rome canceled. I talked to our TA. She checked with X and our FCC was confirmed that we must book by May 4, 2022 and cruise by Sept. 30, 2022. I moved our cruises out to June 2022, Sept 2022 and April 2023.

I talked to Celebrity this evening an it was suggested that the FCC may be extended again as more cruises are cancelled

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

While I agree that it's terrible news, it was hardly unexpected. Moreover, far from being ridiculous, I believe that it was a very wise decision. Original projections had the majority of Canadian vaccinated by September, the end of the Alaskan season, but with current vaccine shortages and more delays to come, that date is very questionable. Banning until July, as you suggest, is a complete non-starter, and to do so would only result in cruise lines and passengers having to change plans when a later cancellation order was issued instead of doing so now.

I realize that this is disappointing for all concerned, myself included, but in the middle of a pandemic, health and safety must take precedence over leisure activity, even though there is a financial impact. We had plans for a Canada-New England cruise this fall, but held off booking in anticipation of a decision of this nature. We couldn't do our biannual trip down East last year because of the Maritime bubble, and can't cruise there this year, but that's life during a pandemic.

While I agree that it is questionable whether there will be cruising in 2021, why throw in the towel now.  Canada(which is where I live) made a unilateral decision to in essence cancel cruising to Alaska.   I thought that I would see more collaboration between Canada and the US on issues.  Why not have discussions between Canada and the US around cruising and come up with a joint release regarding Alaska(and the east coast as well).

We have not seen either the US or Europe cancel cruising until 2022.  Europe is looking for ways to open.  Not sure about the US, but am guessing they are as well.

I have cancelled a number of trips, cancelled as well.   We have all made sacrifices over the last year due to the pandemic.   It should be a last resort to cancel cruising once it has been determined there are no other ways of making cruising work.  It appears to me that this is some bureaucratic response to an issue they dont want to spend any time trying to come up with a solution.

Sorry about the rant, but this makes me so mad that the government is not trying to find solutions to problems, without having to shut everything down.  I understand, and agree for the most part, with the decisions made to date.  However, we do have vaccines coming and we need to open up.

While travelling is a leisure activity to me, it is a business for many people.  I don't have to travel.  However, many people in the business are going to lose everything that have  if we do not open up.  We can not forget about those people, whose livelihoods are based on tourism.  How sad it is for them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tert333 said:

While I agree that it is questionable whether there will be cruising in 2021, why throw in the towel now.

From what I have heard the vendors and shop owners do not find it practical to open for a partial Alaska season. Its all or nothing. Since May and June were already not going to happen closing the entire season is not that big of a deal for them.

This makes a land trip more enticing as there will be fewer tourist and lower prices and crowds.

• Like 1

While Canada is continuing the ban, other places are starting to close down again. French Caribbean islands and French Polynesia have announced that they are closed to all tourists.

The next variants appear to be generating a lot of concern.

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

However, we do have vaccines coming and we need to open up.

While travelling is a leisure activity to me, it is a business for many people.  I don't have to travel.  However, many people in the business are going to lose everything that have  if we do not open up.  We can not forget about those people, whose livelihoods are based on tourism.  How sad it is for them. 

We don't have enough information yet about the results of vaccines and how many people will actually get them.  Time will tell, but it will take a good while.

This is a world-wide problem, regardless of livelihoods.  Sounds harsh, I know, but you have to be realistic.  Health concerns need to be a priority.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gold1953 said:

I talked to Celebrity this evening an it was suggested that the FCC may be extended again as more cruises are cancelled

Won’t help most of us unless they let us lift and shift twice.  Many of this years cruises were already shifted from last year 😔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tert333 said:

While I agree that it is questionable whether there will be cruising in 2021, why throw in the towel now.  Canada(which is where I live) made a unilateral decision to in essence cancel cruising to Alaska.   I thought that I would see more collaboration between Canada and the US on issues.  Why not have discussions between Canada and the US around cruising and come up with a joint release regarding Alaska(and the east coast as well).

We have not seen either the US or Europe cancel cruising until 2022.  Europe is looking for ways to open.  Not sure about the US, but am guessing they are as well.

I have cancelled a number of trips, cancelled as well.   We have all made sacrifices over the last year due to the pandemic.   It should be a last resort to cancel cruising once it has been determined there are no other ways of making cruising work.  It appears to me that this is some bureaucratic response to an issue they dont want to spend any time trying to come up with a solution.

Sorry about the rant, but this makes me so mad that the government is not trying to find solutions to problems, without having to shut everything down.  I understand, and agree for the most part, with the decisions made to date.  However, we do have vaccines coming and we need to open up.

Do you really think that the people who live in ports that ships visit  want cruise ships to dock this year!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Do you really think that the people who live in ports that ships visit  want cruise ships to dock this year!

NO and nor should they.  IMO 2021 should, sadly, be cancelled. Deposits whether refundable or NRD, a work around can be found and I think cruise lines will do so.  Will it satisfy all, nope, but we and the cruise industry are dealing with something unprecedented.

• Like 3

I'm not sure about the "rules" re: PVSA, but the Trans Atlantic could stop at St. Pierre & Miquelon, it is French and off the coast of Newfoundland. That would still have all kinds of ifs, ands buts and maybes.

Meanwhile there is nowhere on earth that the Vaccine role out has gone as planned so while we all wait for our vaccinations and collectively shake our heads that with months to plan while the vaccines were developed some places literally had no plan and other place that may have had some sort of plan adequate or not (such as Canada) find that vaccine manufacturers don't live up to their contracts. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure about the "rules" re: PVSA, but the Trans Atlantic could stop at St. Pierre & Miquelon, it is French and off the coast of Newfoundland. That would still have all kinds of ifs, ands buts and maybes.

Meanwhile there is nowhere on earth that the Vaccine role out has gone as planned so while we all wait for our vaccinations and collectively shake our heads that with months to plan while the vaccines were developed some places literally had no plan and other place that may have had some sort of plan adequate or not (such as Canada) find that vaccine manufacturers don't live up to their contracts. 

Israel is doing pretty darn well, actually VERY darn well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

That’s a possibility but that would add 1-2 days to the cruise putting it outside the initial 7 day restriction. 

Looks like it might be a moot point. I’m not seeing any 2021 Hawaii cruises coming up on Celebrity’s website now.

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

You are tilting windmills.  Why would St Pierre open to cruise ships when it and all the other French Caribbean islands just completely closed.

Whinging about Covid delays is dumb.  Moderna, Pfizer and others closed down in order to increase production.  Their contracts are X doses by April.  Am sure the delays today mean far greater deliveries in late February and in March.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Israel is doing pretty darn well, actually VERY darn well.

Sorry that is apples and oranges. Israel has a population of less than 9 million and an area of 22,145 square km. Canada has a population of 37.5 million and an area of 9.98 Million square km. And I wonder if the average Israeli has just picked up the phone or dropped in at the local clinic or even made an appointment on line with great ease.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You are tilting windmills.  Why would St Pierre open to cruise ships when it and all the other French Caribbean islands just completely closed.

Whinging about Covid delays is dumb.  Moderna, Pfizer and others closed down in order to increase production.  Their contracts are X doses by April.  Am sure the delays today mean far greater deliveries in late February and in March.

I wasn't tilting at windmills, I'm okay with the restrictions even though I live in a tourist town and there are a lot of businesses that may not make it. I was just pointing out there is a little place just of Newfoundland that is part of France. 

I was not whinging about the broken contracts just pointing out they were broken. With the whole world clamouring for these vaccines I would suggest the "increased" capacity should have been sorted before now. Keep in mind that Australia will be looking to get a supply of vaccine from the same supply stream. I think that the fact that we let our ability to produce our own vaccines and medications here in Canada to be lost is quite unacceptable. The announcement that we may be able to produce a small amount of an as yet un-approved vaccine by some time next year does little to mitigate the situation.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I believe you said no where on earth has vaccine rollout gone as planned...apples or oranges aside, Israel is on earth, regardless of their population, they have done an amazing job

I stand corrected apparently there is a small nation on earth that has done an amazing job, well done to the Israelis.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

I stand corrected apparently there is a small nation on earth that has done an amazing job, well done to the Israelis.

does the size of the country matter or are the results for their people more important!  Sorry you are dissatisfied with your countries results.

11 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

does the size of the country matter or are the results for their people more important!  Sorry you are dissatisfied with your countries results.

I think you will find plenty of people in your vast country are unhappy with their results as well.

You have pointed out 1 country out of 195 that you say has done a great job, I am happy for them. You have succeeded in rebutting my assertion that there was "no place on earth" that has had a smooth role out of Vaccines.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

NO and nor should they.  IMO 2021 should, sadly, be cancelled. Deposits whether refundable or NRD, a work around can be found and I think cruise lines will do so.  Will it satisfy all, nope, but we and the cruise industry are dealing with something unprecedented.

Tell me why 2022 will be any better than 2021?  The virus will still be around and it will still be mutating.  International travel and trade will need to figure out a way to live with the virus.  Perhaps it's vaccinating everyone on a ship or plane and requiring covid tests before the ship or plan departs.  There will never be a perfect vaccine or treatment.

12 hours ago, Fouremco said:

While I agree that it's terrible news, it was hardly unexpected. Moreover, far from being ridiculous, I believe that it was a very wise decision. Original projections had the majority of Canadian vaccinated by September, the end of the Alaskan season, but with current vaccine shortages and more delays to come, that date is very questionable. Banning until July, as you suggest, is a complete non-starter, and to do so would only result in cruise lines and passengers having to change plans when a later cancellation order was issued instead of doing so now.

I realize that this is disappointing for all concerned, myself included, but in the middle of a pandemic, health and safety must take precedence over leisure activity, even though there is a financial impact. We had plans for a Canada-New England cruise this fall, but held off booking in anticipation of a decision of this nature. We couldn't do our biannual trip down East last year because of the Maritime bubble, and can't cruise there this year, but that's life during a pandemic.

You will be missed down here 🙂 But yes the pandemic is ruling right now and I think many frustrations are misdirecting a bit and the sad reality is it's COVID to blame and this is unprecedented uncertain times and you can be sure that decisions that is 100% certain to affect the citizens livelihood is not taken lightly.

• Like 1