Canadian government CANCELS 2021 Alaska cruise Season

Oren

16 minutes ago, joetop2467 said:

I hope the cruise lines can get around the need to stop at a foreign port rule and salvage some of the Alaska season.  Those people up there need tourist dollars. How about an Executive order?

With the new president, not a chance. A big part of Biden's campaign was "We have to take care of the virus before we can fix the economy." With the previous one I think, if it was truly an option, maybe. 

23 minutes ago, joetop2467 said:

I hope the cruise lines can get around the need to stop at a foreign port rule and salvage some of the Alaska season.  Those people up there need tourist dollars. How about an Executive order?

Well, my TA said our cruise is "likely" to cancel but no official word from Celebrity.  Maybe that is hopeful they are working on a solution of sorts, or maybe that just means Celebrity is slow on the uptake.  If not, hope they lift and shift (my August was already a lift/shift) or issue FCC that doesn't need to be used right away.  Sad for all around, but in the grand scheme this is minor I guess.

M

2 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

"We have to take care of the virus before we can fix the economy.

So true........we can and will get back to whatever was considered normal if we can bring down the virus count to a workable level.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mimbecky said:

Well, my TA said our cruise is "likely" to cancel but no official word from Celebrity.  Maybe that is hopeful they are working on a solution of sorts, or maybe that just means Celebrity is slow on the uptake.  If not, hope they lift and shift (my August was already a lift/shift) or issue FCC that doesn't need to be used right away.  Sad for all around, but in the grand scheme this is minor I guess.

M

From the Celebrity site as of yesterday:

Thursday, February 4th,2021

Today, the Canadian government shared their decision for their ports to remain closed through February, 2022. We are working through the resulting impacts to our itineraries that visit Canada and we will communicate all updates and alternatives to you or your travel advisor by no later than Friday, February 12. We know this is disappointing news, particularly as it relates to the Alaska cruise season. We continue to maintain our focus on all efforts to resume service with the health, safety and well-being of our guests, the communities we visit, and our crew and shoreside employees as our highest priority.

• Like 1

Just now, Oceangoer2 said:

From the Celebrity site as of yesterday:

Thursday, February 4th,2021

Today, the Canadian government shared their decision for their ports to remain closed through February, 2022. We are working through the resulting impacts to our itineraries that visit Canada and we will communicate all updates and alternatives to you or your travel advisor by no later than Friday, February 12. We know this is disappointing news, particularly as it relates to the Alaska cruise season. We continue to maintain our focus on all efforts to resume service with the health, safety and well-being of our guests, the communities we visit, and our crew and shoreside employees as our highest priority.

Thanks for sharing!

I wonder how many more hits the cruise industry can take at this point.  And of course the port workers and tourist based industries.  No easy solution.  A lot of peripheral impact and suffering. 

16 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

With the new president, not a chance. A big part of Biden's campaign was "We have to take care of the virus before we can fix the economy." With the previous one I think, if it was truly an option, maybe. 

I don't think there is a chance either, if for no other reason than the two states most impacted are Alaska and Florida, both very "red" states.  We can only guess if that would matter (and don't want to break the rules getting into a political debate here).  The bigger reason is that with everything else on their plates, it is unlikely to be a top priority for anyone in government, regardless of which side of the table they sit on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

The Jones Act has been in the way of accessing by ship many very lovely and interesting ports.

It’s not the Jones Act (which deals with cargo), it’s the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and it regulates the transport of passengers between American ports. Lots of PVSA threads here on CC for folks who want to delve into or discuss what it actually does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

It’s not the Jones Act (which deals with cargo), it’s the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and it regulates the transport of passengers between American ports. Lots of PVSA threads here on CC for folks who want to delve into or discuss what it actually does. 

Thanks for the correction...I didn't know there was a PVSA...So Jones is cargo related.  I know when we travelled Hawaii to the Kiribats (sp?) there was a person quoting the Jones as the reason we had to go so far afield to complete our Hawaiian Island rotation. Best trip ever so thankful for whatever Act it was...LOL.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Thanks for the correction...I didn't know there was a PVSA...So Jones is cargo related.  I know when we travelled Hawaii to the Kiribats (sp?) there was a person quoting the Jones as the reason we had to go so far afield to complete our Hawaiian Island rotation. Best trip ever so thankful for whatever Act it was...LOL.

No worries.  It's a commonly made mistake, including by Americans (which I realize you aren't, so at least you have a good excuse 🤣).

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

You must have visited some other place called Halifax than the lovely, friendly city we've visited twice on cruises and enjoyed immensely and to which we'd love to return.  I suggest you visit the real Halifax, with its beautiful Public Gardens, the interesting Citadel, the extremely moving Canadian Museum of Immigration, the friendly people, the waterfront and eateries.   (Oh, and BeaverTails.)

When the "Tall Ships" come to Halifax, what a wonderful sight!  And, so much to do...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Also remember that Israel is not vaccinating any non-Jewish population.

Not correct, They are vaccinating non-jewish population

Some 75% of citizens over the age of 60 have been inoculated so far, including Palestinian (or “Arab Israeli”) citizens of Israel and occupied East Jerusalem, and Israelis living in illegal West Bank settlements.

The groups that Israel is not vaccinating are those in Gaza and the West Bank that are living in areas governed by by the Palestinian Authority. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Your bags are treated as cargo (Jones Act) and you as a passenger (PSVA)

No.  If you are traveling on a passenger ship ones personal, accompanied baggage still falls under PSVA.  If the cruise lines were also selling cargo space to companies and also hauling commercial cargo then Jones Act might apply, but they do not do that.

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

Come join us in September 2022 on the Summit. We did this cruise in September 2019 on the Summit (14 night cruise that year). Fantastic itinerary. 

Thank you. I'll wait and see what Celebrity offers in terms of rebooking/FCC/refund, but with a bit of luck, I hope to join you on the Summit in Sept. 2022.

1 hour ago, cluso said:

When the "Tall Ships" come to Halifax, what a wonderful sight!  And, so much to do...

My grandparents were born respectively in Bridgewater and Waterloo, NS.  They married when my grandmother was 17 and grandfather was 35.  Shortly after, for employment reasons they made their way to the US, where they both lived the remainder of their lives.  My grandfather wanted to be buried in the US and he was.  My grandmother did not and she made us promise to bring her back to her home of NS.  Me and my brother took a road trip from Boston up to Portland, Maine and took the ferry over to NS, Nana's remains came along for the ride, customs were very inquisitive!  We literally had no idea what or how we would do this.  We spent several days in different cities/towns, Bridgewater and Waterloo among them.  Neither felt quite right for this.  We decided to just spend some time for a day or two and thought something would come that would make us feel it.  I remembered while there, a TV special from many years before, where the amazing Canadian Songbird Anne Murray did a show and performed at Peggy's Cove.  Once we got there, OMG, not just one of the loveliest places but both me and my brother said this is it, this is where Nana belongs, this is her home!  Thank you, Canada!!

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Halifax is often bypassed because of weather.  Its really doesn't offer much except for the lobster shack and the Titanic cemetery.

We actually enjoy Halifax...beautiful gardens, lovely local pubs, great history and shopping! We have been lucky not have missed this  port due to bad weather but did arrive once soon after a hurricane,  gardens were a shambles.!

56 minutes ago, nocl said:

Not correct, They are vaccinating non-jewish population

Some 75% of citizens over the age of 60 have been inoculated so far, including Palestinian (or “Arab Israeli”) citizens of Israel and occupied East Jerusalem, and Israelis living in illegal West Bank settlements.

The groups that Israel is not vaccinating are those in Gaza and the West Bank that are living in areas governed by by the Palestinian Authority. 

Glad to see this post...saves looking into it!

26 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Not really sanguine with relying on "news" posted on CC.  Suggest do the research...always better.

26 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Not really sanguine with relying on "news" posted on CC.  Suggest do the research...always better.

Not exactly research but here's a link to a "news" (?) Source..just used gogle.

https://m.jpost.com/breaking-news/israel-to-give-5000-covid-19-vaccinations-to-palestinian-authority-657180

8 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

IF you haven't noticed, the FLU has gone away since Covid took over.  

I agree, we can't stay locked down forever....those afraid to travel should just stay home.  

Flu is reduced because the practices that are implemented to stop COVID - masks, social distancing, hand washing, work even better with the flu which is far less contagious and largely transmits with large droplets and surface contamination.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, hcat said:

Not exactly research but here's a link to a "news" (?) Source..just used gogle.

https://m.jpost.com/breaking-news/israel-to-give-5000-covid-19-vaccinations-to-palestinian-authority-657180

Thank you for this link!  Rome was not built in a day and Israel is doing the right thing and no doubt will continue to do so for everyone!

9 hours ago, terrydtx said:

You are so right on this. From what I hear from friends in the medical community, Covid is never going away much like the seasonal Flu. We all will have to find a way to live with it, like we do with seasonal flu. Seasonal flu vaccines have been marginally effective,  but still hundreds of thousands die every year world wide from the Flu.  Keeping the world locked down, destroying economies and leaving millions unemployed has not worked and is not the answer to stopping the spread of this pandemic.

Once the impact of COVID gets reduced to the level of the flu, we will treat it like such and will not lock down.  Unfortunately we are not even close yet.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

IF you haven't noticed, the FLU has gone away since Covid took over.  

I agree, we can't stay locked down forever....those afraid to travel should just stay home.  

Hmmm, we are living in a situation that has not happened in 100 years, IMO 10 months has not been forever, and we, US, have never been in a "lockdown".  Many of us have rightly and respectfully curtailed much of our previous routine daily lives and I think for the good.  As for the folks on here who say "those afraid to travel"  well I cannot type my response here, otherwise I'd be banned for life.  

• Like 8

9 hours ago, tert333 said:

Good answer oceangoer2.   The previous poster has no clue what Halifax has to offer.   He is ignorant of a city that has many more things to do - Cidadel, Peggys Cover, the boardwalk, many small local pubs in the downtown area.  I always enjoy visiting Halifax and the friendly people that live there!

Halifax (Nova Scotia) has never been on my travel radar (perhaps, partially,  because it's so far away from here) but after reading your post I think it's a place I should consider for the future. Thank you.

• Like 1