Who feels safer on a Ship than on a Plane ??

No cruises sailing yet the airlines seem to have very little problem travelling to and from many cruise un-friendly areas.

Personally I feel I have more room for distancing whether social or anti-social on a ship than in my local supermarket or CVS. 

Looks like a lot of flights in the air this morning at 9:00 am...

fliy.JPG

• Like 8

Well considering I refuse to fly so far and just drove to florida and back ...its not a high bar to say I feel safer on a ship. The thought of being squashed between people on a plane, nope not me. Agree at least on a cruise I can keep my distance and not spend long periods right next to someone. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 5

How many people died in flight due to covid?

How many planes were stuck in mid air for weeks because they were denied landing?

I feel safer on a flight that's only a few hours than on ship in quarantine for weeks on end.

A year later and we a still comparing apples to oranges.  People are at risk in everyday life. The only difference is on land you have access to health care.   

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

I've been on several flights during the pandemic. Flying now is better than it ever has been due to the lack of crowds (under 50% as many passengers flying compared to a year ago).

And ships won't get quarantined for weeks on end.  That was a year ago when no one knew what was going on and the strictest of measures were taken.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

No cruises sailing yet the airlines seem to have very little problem travelling to and from many cruise un-friendly areas.

Personally I feel I have more room for distancing whether social or anti-social on a ship than in my local supermarket or CVS. 

Looks like a lot of flights in the air this morning at 9:00 am...

fliy.JPG

How many of those flights are full? How many are in the air just to keep the slot. Don't they have to fly to keep their slot at the airport?

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've been on several flights during the pandemic. Flying now is better than it ever has been due to the lack of crowds (under 50% as many passengers flying compared to a year ago).

And ships won't get quarantined for weeks on end.  That was a year ago when no one knew what was going on and the strictest of measures were taken.

They were stuck at sea because no body would allow them to unload passengers. Princess and HAL were suck floating around Florida for a while before they were allowed to dock.

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

The point is you can't get stranded on a flight.

I know but flying is way safer than cruising. Airlines don't let people onboard whom they have rescued in mid air and it could be anyone the way ships do. Lets leave it at that on a public forum shall we.

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

How many people died in flight due to covid?

WOW, Dying IN FLIGHT ???  REALLY, you ask that question ?, But just like thousands who contract Noro while in airports or on flights there is no doubt in my mind that even with seat spacing Covid has been transmitted on a plane, in an airport waiting lounge, a boarding tunnel or a baggage carousel.  With 50-60 capacity on a ship I would for sure feel safer on a ship.

How many planes were stuck in mid air for weeks because they were denied landing?

How many cities and towns are currently denying landing privileges to planes carrying passengers who may or may not have Covid ?

I feel safer on a flight that's only a few hours than on ship in quarantine for weeks on end.

I would feel safer at home in my basement with a mask and a UV air purifier with locked doors for weeks on end as well.

HOWEVER I do go our daily, I have been immunized and I still wear a mask because of local requirements. I wait in lines and follow arrows and keep distanced as often as possible and WHY WOULD IT BE ANY DIFFERENT ON A SHIP??? 

• Like 2

If middle seats are not sold on planes and there is 50% capacity, I would feel safer on a short flight.  However, if planes are packed to the gills and things are pretty much pre-pandemic, I would feel safer on a cruise, a short cruise in a balcony cabin.  Luckily, I'm close to all the FL ports so I don't have to fly in. 

• Like 5

Original fear of cruise ships was not wanting to let a single case in the country. 27M cases later if you test positive you are told to stay home. College campuses have dorms for positive people.

it is now assumed that their are people with the virus walking around all over.

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I know but flying is way safer than cruising. Airlines don't let people onboard whom they have rescued in mid air and it could be anyone the way ships do. Lets leave it at that on a public forum shall we.

Rescues in mid sea occur very rarely.  The people they rescue could also be placed in quarantine.  This is a non issue, .IMO

• Like 2

1 minute ago, boscobeans said:

WOW, Dying IN FLIGHT ???  REALLY, you ask that question ?

You do have no chance if you fall really ill on a flight. On a cruise ship the doctor is there in a couple of minutes. On a flight they have to make an emergency landing somewhere. Look at Carrie Fisher to pick on a name. Would she have lived if she had been on a cruise ship?

2 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

WOW, Dying IN FLIGHT ???  REALLY, you ask that question ?, But just like thousands who contract Noro while in airports or on flights there is no doubt in my mind that even with seat spacing Covid has been transmitted on a plane, in an airport waiting lounge, a boarding tunnel or a baggage carousel.  With 50-60 capacity on a ship I would for sure feel safer on a ship.

How many cities and towns are currently denying landing privileges to planes carrying passengers who may or may not have Covid ?

I would feel safer at home in my basement with a mask and a UV air purifier with locked doors for weeks on end as well.

HOWEVER I do go our daily, I have been immunized and I still wear a mask because of local requirements. I wait in lines and follow arrows and keep distanced as often as possible and WHY WOULD IT BE ANY DIFFERENT ON A SHIP??? 

The difference isn't whether it's safer in terms of being exposed to covid it is the fact that countries aren't allowing cruise ships to port if there is an outbreak. Until they have come up with a plan on how to handle a ship load of exposed and sick passengers cruising won't happen in the U.S. as long as there is that risk.  How many people fly in to port to board a cruise ship. If flying isn't safe you just added another risk of contact to cruising.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

You do have no chance if you fall really ill on a flight. On a cruise ship the doctor is there in a couple of minutes. On a flight they have to make an emergency landing somewhere. Look at Carrie Fisher to pick on a name. Would she have lived if she had been on a cruise ship?

Carrie Fisher did not die on a plane.  While she did suffer a heart attack on a plane, she died days later in an L.A. hospital.  

Cruise ships pre-pandemic did not have the necessary staff and equipment to save someone having a heart attack nor did they have the means to off load passengers in certain areas of the world - especially in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Typical BEFORE COVID passenger space is 45 square feet per passenger.

Let's look at a 50% capacity cruise which would be 90 square feet per passenger.

90 Square feet is equal to your own room measuring 9 foot by 10 foot. 

How does that stack up to the space in a plane at 50% capacity. And two toilets per plane vs one or more for every 2 passengers?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

The difference isn't whether it's safer in terms of being exposed to covid it is the fact that countries aren't allowing cruise ships to port if there is an outbreak. Until they have come up with a plan on how to handle a ship load of exposed and sick passengers cruising won't happen in the U.S. as long as there is that risk.  How many people fly in to port to board a cruise ship. If flying isn't safe you just added another risk of contact to cruising.

And how will you do immigration at the land ports like JFK. Neve rmind how long it takes waiting in line to reach the desks especially with those machines they now have. How many people will touch those machines then remove the mask for the picture to be taken and put their fingers on the scanner and the put the mask back on.

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Carrie Fisher did not die on a plane.  While she did suffer a heart attack on a plane, she died days later in an L.A. hospital.  

Cruise ships pre-pandemic did not have the necessary staff and equipment to save someone having a heart nor did they have the means to off load passengers in certain areas of the world - especially in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans. 

But on Anthem the staff would have her in the medical bay in 5 minutes ok not sure about 5 minutes. But it would have been quick. I don't know about equipment I think they would have been pretty well stocked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Cruise ships pre-pandemic did not have the necessary staff and equipment to save someone having a heart (ATTACK)...

What cruise line have you sailed on ?

For the past 21 years Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, HAL and NCL  (and most others ) had doctors, nurses and were capable of giving excellent care to their patients. 

3 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

What cruise line have you sailed on ?

For the past 21 years Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, HAL and NCL  (and most others ) had doctors, nurses and were capable of giving excellent care to their patients. 

I've been on a few transatlantic cruises where passengers who had heart attacks died due to lack of facilities, namely an ER and cardiac surgeons.  

The doctors and nurses onboard cruise ships can handle minor medical issues - not a massive heart attack. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

I've been on a few transatlantic cruises where passengers who had heart attacks died due to lack of facilities, namely an ER and cardiac surgeons.  

I have seen many cardiac events that went sour within minutes and many that no matter what facilities were available did not turn out well...

So if you are mid-Atlantic and have no cardiac surgeon on your flight and you suffer an attack, CPR, oxygen or the automated defibrillator will be a waste of time?   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, boscobeans said:

I have seen many cardiac events that went sour within minutes and many that no matter what facilities were available did not turn out well...

So if you are mid-Atlantic and have no cardiac surgeon on your flight and you suffer an attack, CPR, oxygen or the automated defibrillator will be a waste of time?   

If someone is Mid-Atlantic on a flight, chances are they will get to land and an ER much faster than someone on a ship who is Mid-Atlantic.  The equipment ships have will never make up for the time it takes to get a patient to "real" hospital on land. 

• Like 1