Who feels safer on a Ship than on a Plane ??

On 2/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, twangster said:

Exactly.  So you have infected people on a plane for 3 hours sitting right next to other people, for 3 hours.  

I've never been on a plane and felt my hair blowing in the wind on board.  They might change the air over every 3 to 6 minutes but I refuse to accept there is a low chance of infection if the person in my row sharing my air for 3 hours is infected. 

Everyone gets off and now the other victims have no idea where they got it.  Probably that store they went to the day before their trip, or the restaurant, or the taxi, etc.

it has always been my philosophy that Airlines are not called out as a spreader as since your only on the plane and in the airport a short time NO one can easily trace the infection back to the airplane/airport nor do they try.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

it has always been my philosophy that Airlines are not called out as a spreader as since your only on the plane and in the airport a short time NO one can easily trace the infection back to the airplane/airport nor do they try.

Canada does.  You'd be shocked at the numbers.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/exposure-flights-cruise-ships-mass-gatherings.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel safer on a cruise. I have flown a number of times during the pandemic and for me a cruise would be safer. Sitting on a plane 1 seat away from anybody else, having people pass you to go toilet, taking masks off to eat. I also notice more people coughing on a plane then on a ship.

So for me personally, a cruise is safer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Very interesting.  The positive individual has to be known to be in an infectious phase not simply was on board at some point during their illness AND they consider the danger zone to be 3 rows forward and 3 rows back.  

• A row is considered ‘affected’ if it’s 3 rows behind or in front of a row where a seated person is confirmed to have COVID-19 and during a period when they may have been infectious to others

Sixty seven domestic occurrences in the last two weeks.  One hundred and one international occurences in the last two weeks.  That's really surprising to me. 

I guess they are only showing two weeks because beyond that it's a moot point, the timer has expired.  I wonder what the difference is in typical flights per day between the two countries.  I'm presuming the US has many more flights every day.  

Goes to show if you don't do testing and don't do contact tracing you are truly blind to what is really going on.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, twangster said:

I wonder what the difference is in typical flights per day between the two countries.  I'm presuming the US has many more flights every day.  

In 2018 the US had 6 times the number of all air passengers than Canada.  1 billion to 160 million.  So at least a factor of 6 and I’d say more than that as Canada has been more restrictive on travel.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I feel safe anywhere. Covid hasnt changed my safety perception. I take risks. We all have. Starting with waking up in the morning. The one word I think I hate the most during the last year is “safety”..... Since when does everything need to be 100% safe. Snowflake world now. Our ancestors would be ashamed of us.

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2021 at 9:11 AM, boscobeans said:

No cruises sailing yet the airlines seem to have very little problem travelling to and from many cruise un-friendly areas.

Personally I feel I have more room for distancing whether social or anti-social on a ship than in my local supermarket or CVS. 

Looks like a lot of flights in the air this morning at 9:00 am...

fliy.JPG

In my local CVS they have designated spots supposedly 6 feet apart.However,the last time I was there nobody was following directions.No store employees said anything either.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I do not understand your point of reference

You pointed out people no longer using the social distancing “stickers” and store employees not enforcing it.  
This is “Covid Fatigue”, a large % of the population are simply over it all, and recommendations are being ignored. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You pointed out people no longer using the social distancing “stickers” and store employees not enforcing it.  
This is “Covid Fatigue”, a large % of the population are simply over it all, and recommendations are being ignored. 

The last time I was in a CVS was last year when all of this was relatively new.I should have stated that .

In States where everything has reopened, like mine, things are pretty much the way they were pre-pandemic. The only thing remaining is the mask requirement to enter businesses.  Gone are the gloves, social distancing, one way aisles, food and TP shortages, closed establishments, reduced hours etc.  You would not know we are still in a pandemic except for masks.  The disposable masks have been replaced with color coordinated fashion masks.  We have been inundated with people from all over — time to leave!  

As for which method is safer, cruising or flying, there is not a black and white answer.  Many factors go into the equation, i.e. percent occupancy, length of trip, itinerary, conditions, etc. etc. without knowing those factors it is impossible for anyone to determine which one they would feel safer doing. 

20 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

In States where everything has reopened, like mine, things are pretty much the way they were pre-pandemic. The only thing remaining is the mask requirement to enter businesses.  Gone are the gloves, social distancing, one way aisles, food and TP shortages, closed establishments, reduced hours etc.  You would not know we are still in a pandemic except for masks.  The disposable masks have been replaced with color coordinated fashion masks.  We have been inundated with people from all over — time to leave!  

As for which method is safer, cruising or flying, there is not a black and white answer.  Many factors go into the equation, i.e. percent occupancy, length of trip, itinerary, conditions, etc. etc. without knowing those factors it is impossible for anyone to determine which one they would feel safer doing. 

Difference is the amount of people.............feel safer with 200 people in a plane then 5000 on a cruise.

It's just a number thing with your chances of coming in contact with a person(s) who has it.

Why else do you think the CDC allows smaller ships, tour companies etc  function.

Edited by Jimbo

Imo getting on a plane, train, bus or any type of public transportation is a higher risk then on a cruise ship where it is much easier to social distance.   

Once the crew and passengers are all vaccinated, there wont be a need to quarantine everyone on the ship should someone test positive.   

Doctors now have a much better understanding of the virus and how to treat it then a year ago when cruise ships were being denied docking.

My DH, an organ transplant recipient that is immuno compromised due to to anti-rejection meds, was given the monoclonal antibody last week for his Covid and he is feeling great.  

When sailings do restart, I plan on driving to my departure ports, where possible.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Difference is the amount of people.............feel safer with 200 people in a plane then 5000 on a cruise.

It's just a number thing with your chances of coming in contact with a person(s) who has it.

If you look at that way, what about the thousands of people in and out of the airport?

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

I imagine that cruises, when they do restart, will have limited capacity.  I would definitely feel safer with less people and a shorter time frame which would limit my chances of contracting any transmissible diseases. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm not hanging around for 7 days or longer with those people in the airport.

It takes a couple of minutes of close contact to get the virus.   You can sit in the airport or airplane and get it just as easy as getting it on a cruise ship or local food store.

We have been absolutely nowhere in the last month but covid entered our house because my Dh had a physical therapist come to our house 3 times and she wore a mask, shield and gloves.

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It takes at least 15 minutes.

I believe there was a recent report out of the UK that presented data suggesting as little 15 seconds is required with the UK variant.

In general infections have a highly variable transmission time. One can get infected within a few seconds or it may take many minutes. It all depends on the amount and density of virus being expelled, distance travelled, etc.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2021 at 10:10 AM, rtazz17 said:

I feel safe anywhere. Covid hasnt changed my safety perception. I take risks. We all have. Starting with waking up in the morning. The one word I think I hate the most during the last year is “safety”..... Since when does everything need to be 100% safe. Snowflake world now. Our ancestors would be ashamed of us.

How dare you? Ha! Your point is rhetorical, because it is obviously true. However, starting 6 years ago, we are supposed to twist it in all possible directions to make it look wrong, bad, horrible, and even politically incorrect. You are FALSLY stating that life is dangerous and deadly. I capitalized one word, because it is a key word how these days we have to express our thoughts against anyone who is even slightly floating against the stream. And if you continue to refuse going with that flow, good luck with being observed anything but outcast.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you look at that way, what about the thousands of people in and out of the airport?

The problem with the cruise is it's the same several thousand people for many days in a row.  If you walk past someone in the airport with Covid, you run a fairly low risk of getting it.  But if you spend five or seven days continuously interacting with a group of people that are all also continuously interacting with the same self-contained group, you have the perfect recipe for unmitigated spread.

Look, I know the cruise fans here don't like it.  But make no mistake.  Cruising before this is completely mitigated is going to be very, very difficult to do succesfully.

• Like 1