The Daily for Friday Feb 12, 2021

richwmn

Good Evening Everyone,

I love this group you are all so kind sharing your well wishes and prayers with others that need them.  It is such a friendly pleasant community to visit.

We have been cold and snowy here, closed schools today due to the messy roads.  I picked up a work day though, so boss could have a day off (I just work as needed, semi retired, found the perfect work balance, till Covid hit, now not getting many hours for my cruise fund!)

I love the stories about the Canadian pennies, I still have many!  I grew up in Washington state so it wasn't unusual to have some Canadian coins and most businesses then would accept them.  I never thought twice about using them.  Then I moved to Kansas!  Hubby and I were young and poor, had a baby and lived in a very small rural town.  I walked to the self serve laundry  with the babies diapers to get them washed.  I stopped at the local small store to get the 2 Canadian quarters exchanged for US coins for the washer...........................the owner read me the riot act for even thinking I could bring that "foreign" money into his store!  I just mumbled I am sorry and left!  I found out I had led a pretty sheltered life until then!

Stay safe and get well wishes to all who need them.

Denise

• Like 13

Thanks for posting Roy.  Glad there is a plan in place for your recovery . Keeping you in our prayers. 
Freezing rain in the Willamette valley from Portland south tonight.  We still just have a lot of rain on the coast.  Love the snow but now with ice on top! 
Happy Valentines weekend everyone!  
stay well, warm and safe! 

• Like 10

Roy, so happy you are back home, with a plan!  Please thank TraceySD from all of us for letting us know what was going on.  If she hadn’t we would have been much more worried, not knowing if you were being taken care of.  Hope all goes well with your surgery- you’ll stay in our prayers.  

• Like 11

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Strange!  I'll swear I posted earlier this evening.  I got home just after 6 this evening.  They did a lot of tests but no treatment.  I have an appointment with the hospital cardiologist Thursday at 1PM to finalize a surgical plan for a defective valve, so I'm not really out of the woods yet.

@TraceySD is my nephew's wife in San Diego.  She used to be quite active on Cruise Critic as TraceyP but apparently got separated from that account when she had children and stopped cruising.

Roy

Thanks for your post, good to see you here on CC again.

We have sent you another e-mail.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Strange!  I'll swear I posted earlier this evening.  I got home just after 6 this evening.  They did a lot of tests but no treatment.  I have an appointment with the hospital cardiologist Thursday at 1PM to finalize a surgical plan for a defective valve, so I'm not really out of the woods yet.

@TraceySD is my nephew's wife in San Diego.  She used to be quite active on Cruise Critic as TraceyP but apparently got separated from that account when she had children and stopped cruising.

Roy

Welcome home!

• Like 5

Thanks to all who commented on my cake.   I made that one for a friend who was doing vow renewals.  She still has the roses in a vase after all this time.   

I haven't made any cakes lately.  But, no gatherings to take one to.   Some think I'm a bit nuts because I make the cakes but don't eat them.   It is a creative outlet for me.

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, dfish said:

Thanks to all who commented on my cake.   I made that one for a friend who was doing vow renewals.  She still has the roses in a vase after all this time.   

I haven't made any cakes lately.  But, no gatherings to take one to.   Some think I'm a bit nuts because I make the cakes but don't eat them.   It is a creative outlet for me.

Sorry I'm late to the party here but I want to say that cake is really beautiful, and the roses so lifelike.  I'm sure it was delicious, too!  Thank you for sharing the photo.

• Like 6

On 2/12/2021 at 9:36 AM, kazu said:

Here is the recipe if you want it - https://www.skinnytaste.com/veggie-lasagna-stuffed-portobello/. I cut back on the salt they called for but otherwise, basically followed the recipe.

We just had this for dinner and it was a winner. I added no salt (which is normal for us. I’m on a low sodium meal plan. And frankly, we don’t like salt.) paired it with the open Pinot Noir (but next time it gets a cab or a cab/Malbec) and a salad. We’re still getting fresh lettuce from the garden, but that’s coming to an end as some of the plants have started to bolt. I’ve gotta have a chat with the Farm store and find out if there is a lettuce that does summers here.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We just had this for dinner and it was a winner. I added no salt (which is normal for us. I’m on a low sodium meal plan. And frankly, we don’t like salt.) paired it with the open Pinot Noir (but next time it gets a cab or a cab/Malbec) and a salad. We’re still getting fresh lettuce from the garden, but that’s coming to an end as some of the plants have started to bolt. I’ve gotta have a chat with the Farm store and find out if there is a lettuce that does summers here.

By any chance, is that the Cal Poly Farm Store.

7 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

No, one in OC. I wasn’t aware of one at Poly. Will have to check it out. I bet it’s fabulous with an apparent connection to that university. 

Yes.  You can Google it.  With planting season impending they'll have all kinds of varieties for sale. especially, tomatoes and peppers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Yes.  You can Google it.  With planting season impending they'll have all kinds of varieties for sale. especially, tomatoes and peppers.

Thanks. I’ll have to stop by to pick up some BAGELS, too, and give them a try. 

And as long as I’m around there, maybe hit Doughnutman. It’s strawberry season. http://www.thedonutmanca.com

Have you been?

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thanks. I’ll have to stop by to pick up some BAGELS, too, and give them a try. 

And as long as I’m around there, maybe hit Doughnutman. It’s strawberry season. http://www.thedonutmanca.com

Have you been?

No, I haven't.  It seems to me I've seen it on TV.  Was it one of those Huell Howser shows?

50 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

No, I haven't.  It seems to me I've seen it on TV.  Was it one of those Huell Howser shows?

Yes. Some 20 years ago I believe. 

We used to go there when I was in college and it was Fosters. We would pile into whoever-had-a-car’s car and go around 11:30p when the cinnamon rolls came out.😋 My tiny roommate would get in first and lay down behind the back seat of another roommate’s VWBug, and then we would sit on laps 3 deep.😳😬

There were no seatbelt laws then, and I’m not sure that car even had seatbelts.

I’m not sure how much “freeboard” we had.